According to the Athletic ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2000 times
Has Liked: 1145 times

Re: According to the Athletic ....

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:20 pm

If it was the players who were unhappy with Dyche then having got their way the 10 out of contract players will be staying at the club ( at least the ones we want to keep )
Interesting times ahead

spt_claret
Been Liked: 743 times
Has Liked: 462 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:12 pm
Really, even I began to wonder why Dyche refused to play to our new players strengths and clearly didn’t trust WW or Cornet… both European signings on the cusp of seemingly better things… after both signings were met with gasps by the world looking in, in turn. And I thoroughly believed that Dyche would save us, so I’ve been accused far more often of being a happy clapper than anti-Dyche for years btw.
Perhaps because Cornet at the very least was signed by Pace, so didn't fit? As for Weghorst- I thoroughly believe he was a long term target as said, but he also was not like-for-like for Wood and stylistically is more of a replacement for Jay, so it still required various tactical adjustments. I do think Dyche was very mistaken to drop Cork given how the shape & style suited Weghorst better with him in, and we got more points, but this is radically deviating from the point- which is that there's nothing suggesting Dyche has ever been averse to the European market, when there were claims for years he wanted to use it more but Garlick was hesitant- we took a punt on Defour which was about all we managed under Garlick.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:29 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:44 pm
I would back my judgment against yours any day.

Why do you think they bought the club?
Because they liked the area and liked Holland’s pies and beni & hot.

No they did it to make a financial gain for themselves , albeit without risking much of their own money.
No personal connection to the club it was simply seen as a money making enterprise without realising that east lancs isn’t the most affluent area, it wouldn’t surprise me if the accounts weren’t even looked at or properly analysed prior to the purchase such was the urgency to complete the deal.
This user liked this post: paulatky

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:35 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:20 pm
It’s seems to be your way or no way and when someone has a different opinion you become aggressive and abusive.

Good luck for the future with an attitude like that
That sounds like you are quoting from the last conversation between Alan Pace and Sean Dyche. ;)

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:46 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:29 pm
No personal connection to the club it was simply seen as a money making enterprise without realising that east lancs isn’t the most affluent area, it wouldn’t surprise me if the accounts weren’t even looked at or properly analysed prior to the purchase such was the urgency to complete the deal.
Hi jakub, my recollection is that we first heard about ALK towards the end of September 2020. Three months is more than enough time to analyse the accounts and all the contracts and other obligations etc for a Premier League football club. It's also enough time for anyone to "get to know" north east Lancs. A group of investors who are connected with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, famous for the missions and with a major UK temple in Chorley, Lancashire - less than 25 miles from Turf Moor - will have an advantage in knowing the area. (At least one of the ALK guys was serving as a missionary in the UK at the time of the acquisition).

If potential buyers had approached the acquisition in a "slip shod" and rushed manner, they wouldn't have got any joy looking for a loan from MSD to assist with funding towards the purchase.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2010 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:15 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:22 pm
Perhaps because Cornet at the very least was signed by Pace, so didn't fit? As for Weghorst- I thoroughly believe he was a long term target as said, but he also was not like-for-like for Wood and stylistically is more of a replacement for Jay, so it still required various tactical adjustments. I do think Dyche was very mistaken to drop Cork given how the shape & style suited Weghorst better with him in, and we got more points, but this is radically deviating from the point- which is that there's nothing suggesting Dyche has ever been averse to the European market, when there were claims for years he wanted to use it more but Garlick was hesitant- we took a punt on Defour which was about all we managed under Garlick.
I like Cork and would probably agree. However, I am not one who has ever called Westwood - for the simple reason it is the balance of the side that makes the midfield nervous and tense. We have a good attacking left, and a very weak defensive left - which makes it essential the midfield compensated by being too rigid and favouring the left. The pressure came from knowing that if our midfield advanced to far we would be wide open at left back and that added to poor ball retention and distribution. Look at the difference with Pieters (our most solid full back) at left back against Spurs… his injury was a huge blow because I think it had been Dyche’s lightbulb moment. I’ve even read someone saying they can’t wait to get rid of Pieters (can’t remember who) but whoever it was clearly has no idea of how a football team defends. Confidence in those around you is ESSENTIAL for any midfielder and with a weak left our midfield had an impossible task (whichever played).

Blakesboots
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 178 times

Post by Blakesboots » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:18 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:46 pm
Hi jakub, my recollection is that we first heard about ALK towards the end of September 2020. Three months is more than enough time to analyse the accounts and all the contracts and other obligations etc for a Premier League football club. It's also enough time for anyone to "get to know" north east Lancs. A group of investors who are connected with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, famous for the missions and with a major UK temple in Chorley, Lancashire - less than 25 miles from Turf Moor - will have an advantage in knowing the area. (At least one of the ALK guys was serving as a missionary in the UK at the time of the acquisition).

If potential buyers had approached the acquisition in a "slip shod" and rushed manner, they wouldn't have got any joy looking for a loan from MSD to assist with funding towards the purchase.
There’s a lot more to the purchase than just football.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2172 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:21 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:18 pm
Just clicked who you are
This user liked this post: paulatky

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6958 times
Has Liked: 1482 times

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:34 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:21 pm
Just clicked who you are
Phil Jones as next manager?

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:37 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:15 pm
I like Cork and would probably agree. However, I am not one who has ever called Westwood - for the simple reason it is the balance of the side that makes the midfield nervous and tense. We have a good attacking left, and a very weak defensive left - which makes it essential the midfield compensated by being too rigid and favouring the left. The pressure came from knowing that if our midfield advanced to far we would be wide open at left back and that added to poor ball retention and distribution. Look at the difference with Pieters (our most solid full back) at left back against Spurs… his injury was a huge blow because I think it had been Dyche’s lightbulb moment. I’ve even read someone saying they can’t wait to get rid of Pieters (can’t remember who) but whoever it was clearly has no idea of how a football team defends. Confidence in those around you is ESSENTIAL for any midfielder and with a weak left our midfield had an impossible task (whichever played).
I actually agree that for me the decisive difference is Pieters more than Cork for the reasons you say. Taylor is the better player if you were going off of individual ability ala FIFA, Pieters is infinitely more important to the shape of our team- especially if he has Cornet in front of him. Taylor/Cornet leaves us so exposed, as we saw (and got away with) at West Ham. Pieters sits deeper & narrower a bit more, which allowed particularly Brownhill to push up more knowing he has Cork & Pieters dropping in more, giving Cork easier work to link the flanks, and compensating for if Cornet is caught out. It pushed our attacking play more central, which is why Weghorst's linkup works better- he's dropping deep, far deeper than I'm stick comfortable with, but the ball and the team movement are coming to him more.

Massive deviation from the topic, but I think there's a reason we did better vs Spurs & Brighton regardless of whether Cornet, McNeil or Lennon started as our wingers, and I think Cork and Pieters individually and combined were why.
Problem is I do agree that if Pieters is injured, we need Westwood/Brownhill more, as they are slightly leggier so cover for the attacking runs better, more direct which you want if you have 2 players pushing up rather than just 1, and generally less suited to that sort of link play. I think Pieters coming out of the side was far more decisive than Cork, for the same reason I think Mee is better than Tarkowski (generally)- it's what he does off the ball and for our shape and defensive unit that matters, and has knock-on effects up the pitch.

Paul Waine

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:37 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Welcome to the mb.

UTC

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
This is the most ominous post I've seen from you, and I've seen a few. Can you expand on what you mean?

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:44 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:37 pm
I actually agree that for me the decisive difference is Pieters more than Cork for the reasons you say. Taylor is the better player if you were going off of individual ability ala FIFA, Pieters is infinitely more important to the shape of our team- especially if he has Cornet in front of him. Taylor/Cornet leaves us so exposed, as we saw (and got away with) at West Ham. Pieters sits deeper & narrower a bit more, which allowed particularly Brownhill to push up more knowing he has Cork & Pieters dropping in more, giving Cork easier work to link the flanks, and compensating for if Cornet is caught out. It pushed our attacking play more central, which is why Weghorst's linkup works better- he's dropping deep, far deeper than I'm stick comfortable with, but the ball and the team movement are coming to him more.

Massive deviation from the topic, but I think there's a reason we did better vs Spurs & Brighton regardless of whether Cornet, McNeil or Lennon started as our wingers, and I think Cork and Pieters individually and combined were why.
Problem is I do agree that if Pieters is injured, we need Westwood/Brownhill more, as they are slightly leggier so cover for the attacking runs better, more direct which you want if you have 2 players pushing up rather than just 1, and generally less suited to that sort of link play. I think Pieters coming out of the side was far more decisive than Cork, for the same reason I think Mee is better than Tarkowski (generally)- it's what he does off the ball and for our shape and defensive unit that matters, and has
knock-on effects up the pitch.
Can’t ague with any of that. Tarks is a top quality Centre half (In the Terry Butcher mould) and I love him EXCEPT when he tries to prove he’s a Rio Ferdinand type centre-half. Ben has had is wobbles as we all do but yes, for me if not a ‘better’ player Mee is certainly a more important player for Burnley.
This user liked this post: spt_claret

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:54 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:44 pm
Can’t ague with any of that. Tarks is a top quality Centre half (In the Terry Butcher mould) and I love him EXCEPT when he tries to prove he’s a Rio Ferdinand type centre-half. Ben has had is wobbles as we all do but yes, for me if not a ‘better’ player Mee is certainly a more important player for Burnley.
If you're the type who likes to analyse stats, there's some fascinating comparisons between the two to be found checking FBRef & SofaScore. Mee actually has the better passing stats for everything except long balls, and on heatmaps plays further forwards and wider. He's aruably been the more ball-playing of the two this season. But is slightly behind on a couple of defensive stats especially in the air (understandable given height). Perhaps most interestingly, his 'out of form' season in 2018-19 has some of his best performing metrics of the lot- including a 68% 1 on 1 dribble blocking rate which is frankly astonishingly high. I felt at the time he was playing well, it was Hart (specifically his communication) that was causing problems- sure enough Heaton came in and everything improved as he was deafeningly loud at communicating.
You can interpret those stats in a few different ways, and I'm not trying to argue that they mean Mee is in fact better on the ball than Tarkowski in general, I just think it goes to show how some assumptions we have might not always be true, in this case that Mee isn't very good on the ball. He's a lot better than he gets credit for, I've seen him dribble past a couple of players.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:20 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:54 pm
If you're the type who likes to analyse stats, there's some fascinating comparisons between the two to be found checking FBRef & SofaScore. Mee actually has the better passing stats for everything except long balls, and on heatmaps plays further forwards and wider. He's aruably been the more ball-playing of the two this season. But is slightly behind on a couple of defensive stats especially in the air (understandable given height). Perhaps most interestingly, his 'out of form' season in 2018-19 has some of his best performing metrics of the lot- including a 68% 1 on 1 dribble blocking rate which is frankly astonishingly high. I felt at the time he was playing well, it was Hart (specifically his communication) that was causing problems- sure enough Heaton came in and everything improved as he was deafeningly loud at communicating.
You can interpret those stats in a few different ways, and I'm not trying to argue that they mean Mee is in fact better on the ball than Tarkowski in general, I just think it goes to show how some assumptions we have might not always be true, in this case that Mee isn't very good on the ball. He's a lot better than he gets credit for, I've seen him dribble past a couple of players.
To be honest, I really don’t care if my Centre halves can dribble the ball, beat a man etc. They are there to Stop the opposition first and last, anything else is a plus but not essential if you get the rest of the team balance right (same for the ‘ball playing’ goalkeeper nonsense).
This user liked this post: spt_claret

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:22 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:20 pm
To be honest, I really don’t care if my Centre halves can dribble the ball, beat a man etc. They are there to Stop the opposition first and last, anything else is a plus but not essential if you get the rest of the team balance right (same for the ‘ball playing’ goalkeeper nonsense).
Agree completely, which is largely why I prefer Mee, but just thought it was interesting to note. Don't get me started on sweeper keepers, can't abide it.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:24 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm
This is the most ominous post I've seen from you, and I've seen a few. Can you expand on what you mean?
Don’t be silly. Alan never expands on anything.
Just adds his snippets and inferences and hides.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:34 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:34 pm
Phil Jones as next manager?
I think he’d have to retire first 😂

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:39 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:24 pm
Don’t be silly. Alan never expands on anything.
Just adds his snippets and inferences and hides.
There's favourable and unfavourable ways to read it, maybe I'm just being cynical because of how many previous clubs have been ruined by factors beyond football coming into the owners' considerations. Could equally be a sign that we should expect good and honest stewardship beyond most chairmen, for example the LDS practice excommunication towards members who behave disreputably so that would definitely provide impetus to behave morally. But I have an instinctual reaction to worry at 'more than football', when it comes to buying football clubs.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:40 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:39 pm
I don’t think that it’s ominous at all, I think owning a football club in the biggest league in the world alongside a group of owners who are the financial elite is a grand old way to bully up your other business interests and ensure you’re favourable looked upon when you’re dealing globally.

Think of the NFL owners model and how that’s historically a closed shop to outsiders. Once you’re in, you’re in. There is power in being in the right place and inside the circle.

spt_claret

Post by spt_claret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:40 pm
I don’t think that it’s ominous at all, I think owning a football club in the biggest league in the world alongside a group of owners who are the financial elite is a grand old way to bully up your other business interests and ensure you’re favourable looked upon when you’re dealing globally.

Think of the NFL owners model and how that’s historically a closed shop to outsiders. Once you’re in, you’re in. There is power in being in the right place and inside the circle.
That doesn't entirely allay my concerns, but definitely makes a lot of sense. Spheres of influence are very important, especially ones in the public eye.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:20 pm
That’s true in the Dyche model. That could change direction with different managers.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:47 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 pm
That doesn't entirely allay my concerns, but definitely makes a lot of sense. Spheres of influence are very important, especially ones in the public eye.
I agree and the owners are very aware of this and we’ve seen vocal objections by owners wanting to manipulate the fit and proper persons criteria to effectively close out certain ownerships being able to join the group.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:48 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 pm
That’s true in the Dyche model. That could change direction with different managers.
No its true for any model… FIRST defenders must defend. Or play beautiful flowing football and get tanked every week. One ball playing Centre half is a bonus two becomes a liability. If you have midfielders who are asked to (feel they have to) sit in all the time (or guard the weak left) then you are trading a naturally attack inclined player for a good fish out of water, however good they are… or they would already be midfielders.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:01 pm

I heard on he radio that Dyche can't make a statement until the compensation has been agreed and then it will be done through the League Managers Association - standard practice apparently

and it will be the usual “great times, good memories but results not great and the owners wanted a change for the club” something along those lines, and the days of speculation whether it was an in house argument, a pub fight, a player being choked, a game involving a sex toy, will be over and we can all move on……

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3106 times
Has Liked: 3823 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:02 pm

Eloise Laws wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:01 pm
and it will be the usual “great times, good memories but results not great and the owners wanted a change for the club” something along those lines, and the days of speculation whether it was an in house argument, a pub fight, a player being choked, a game involving a sex toy, will be over and we can all move on……
That’s a shame…