Burnley’s owners ‘don’t get the club’

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Burnley’s owners ‘don’t get the club’

Post by Milltown1882 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:32 pm

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Re: Burnley’s owners ‘don’t get the club’

Post by spt_claret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:41 pm

Even if this fits with what I think/believe based on their actions and the club's changing fortunes/outlook over the past 18 months, unnamed anonymous sources are always to be taken with a pinch of salt.
I can believe it a damn sight more than the other rumours going round, but an anonymous claim in a tabloid isn't really any better than an anonymous claim on social media.

Longsidelenny1882
Been Liked: 189 times

Post by Longsidelenny1882 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:42 pm

Time to change the saying to in pace we trust utc

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:48 pm

The unnamed source could have been one of the fanboys on here...
This user liked this post: IanMcL

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:50 pm

From that article I can see a two things.

The owners had a clear out of non-football staff who weren't pulling up any trees, which is a view I've held for a while and expressed before because the club was lagging behind in various areas.

Dyche had become bigger than the club if staff were going to him instead of the owners for certain things.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:57 pm

It's a bit OTT that mail article isn't it.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:59 pm

"tension with the owners had been building throughout the season". A similar pattern to that we saw with the previous Chairman then...

The departures behind the scenes for me are irrelevant when the discussion is about the loss of our Manager. There have long been complaints about the website, online shop, ticketing sales, club shop, food and drink service in the concourses amongst a fairly long list. Maybe the new owners can see where the improvements are required and felt that the incumbents were not of sufficient ability or motivated enough to bring about the changes. People in a position for too long can become stale, something that Dyche himself has mentioned previously, when he said that people get tired of hearing the same voice. In their comfort zone to paraphrase a former striker of ours. Time will tell whether they have made the right call or not.
These 9 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret GodIsADeeJay81 Wokingclaret NewClaret Murger tiger76 longsidepies elwaclaret Top Claret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6718 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:01 pm

TBH I dont think many people get Burnley.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:02 pm

Look, I'm all for loyalty and all that, but changing from a local owner wanting to run a local club, to an American consortium wanting to run a club in a league that has a huge global brand was always going to result in tensions
This user liked this post: bf2k

Penwortham_Claret
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by Penwortham_Claret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:06 pm

I wonder if this is one of the ex employees who were removed from the gravy train?

There’s nothing to see here

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:12 pm

There is an interesting dichotomy going on with that publication - we know that Jack Gaughan is a favoured mouthpiece yet we have had these stories about internal unrest and missed payments too - part of me feels that the negatives are being put out there in a controlled manner which is quite easy to bluster over - like the prepared statement from AP, MG and JB last time

maybe I am just getting too cynical

as for the link - now you understand why I transpose content into the thread post wherever possible - it was awful to scroll through

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:36 pm

I don't think many would argue that change was needed. Things had gone stale. However, this wasn't the time for change. That was in December or the end of the season.

Also, change can only take place with funds. You could argue Dyche was never given the funds required to push us forward. We had a good season finishing 7th. Another good season finishing 10th. That was the time to push us forward with better players but he was never given those better players due to the financial constraints place on him. So instead of saddling the club with debt from player recruitment who would have possibly had resale value, we're now saddled with debt from a buy-out which doesn't have a resale value.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:40 pm

I haven't read the article, but the claim that they 'dont get it' may be a quotation lifted from one of Tony Livesey's Facebook posts. He used those words on Friday.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:43 pm

Interesting article to say the least…

Definitely feels like it’s linked to somebody who has either left or is in the process of leaving. There’s a lot of mention of the changes to personnel, strategy etc off the pitch- almost like this source has an axe to grind.

I’m not so sure about their comment re: the previous board giving Dyche time to rebuild/regroup etc and bring us back up if we do go down- seems to be totally ignoring the poor relationship between Dyche and Garlicky which would have seen Dyche gone if Garlick hadn’t sold up.

Let’s be honest; a small northern working class town club which has always been run by local people for local people has been taken over by foreign investors with very different, very modern ways of doing things which are more akin to how other clubs do things. This has caused tension and will continue to cause tension for another couple of years- think of it as growing pains; perfectly normal and natural but also painful too.

We have to trust the board at this moment- as soon as they can say something they will do; I’d imagine that the current silence is related to the ongoing negotiations between the club and Dyche’s representatives (LMA?) over severance payments, NDA’s etc. We may not like being kept in the dark but we have to accept that *for now* there is no alternative.
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm

CP do you think it’s possible that Dyche and his staff including Beattie were all on the same contract.
If Dyche went , then they all went.

Can’t see it myself but someone who is normally a very good source said that was the case !!!

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:02 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm
CP do you think it’s possible that Dyche and his staff including Beattie were all on the same contract.

Can’t see it myself but someone who is normally a very good source said that was the case !!!
With the coaches I can see it and we have seen with foreign ones that would include physios and fitness trainers - hard to say really

It has been said already that most managers want to bring their whole team in, it costs a fortune and while it may help with the initial change in group think I do think that it removes the opportunity to develop more quickly - I have always preferred there to be challengers to ideas in my managerial past

It is the key weakness in SD's time here that he did not freshen up on the coaching side - much of his time here was an aping of the Sir Alex approach right down to operating more as a Sporting Director on non match days (crikey we are hearing SD sat in on board meetings under Garlick) - except for that - the key is that Fergie's greatest successes at Man Utd came when he freshened the thinking on the coaching side

Blakesboots
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 178 times

Post by Blakesboots » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:02 pm

paulatky wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:49 pm

I cannot see the legality of a ‘grouped’ contract.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:24 pm

Funny how all the media are experts on our club that they've never given a **** about before.

Same for all these neutrals coming out of the woodwork to say what a brilliant manager Dyche is. I wonder what they'd be saying if he was headed their way...
These 5 users liked this post: ClaretMov GodIsADeeJay81 Boss Hogg Silkyskills1 Jörmungandr

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:26 pm

Love the media, some spent a lot of the time calling dyche and his old fashioned 442 style of football then call the club for sacking him
These 2 users liked this post: Downhamclaret claretfern

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:27 pm

Interesting article.

I do feel that the removal of a lot of the employees was not past or present performance related, but just that they wanted their own people in to implement the ALK vision for BFC. Now, that's all well and good, but by removing a lot of these people from the club, many of whom were fans of the club, or lived locally, you start to strip away some identity of the club that made us what we are.

International commercial expansion, again yes a good thing in most respects, but by shunning local sponsors & pricing out local companies from opportunities to sponsor you lose some of that identity, people and companies who have supported the club for a long time. And it could all be for nowt if relegated, as international companies won't want to advertise with a team in the championship.

Revamp of the corporate facilities, very nice, but doubling the costs to bring them inline with other premier league clubs, we're a small town not a large city with a huge number of companies based there who can afford such a huge increase in prices, again pricing out local corporations in favour of those who can afford from further afield.

Silly things too, the removal of the legends posters on the outside of the stadiums, to paint the walls from claret to black, another small stripping of some identify.

ALK have homogenised a lot of the club, used a cut and ready template for other clubs and are following it ignoring characteristics that were already present at the club. The vision is right to progress off the field but they have gone about it in a way that affects the very essence of who we are as a club.

This is what's wrong with football at the top level, loss of identity, corporate whitewashing etc. it's why many people are moving away from it to watch smaller teams, (non league football booming). We were able to sit at the top table and still maintain our identity.
These 4 users liked this post: spt_claret IanMcL ClaretTony the_magic_rat

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:29 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:50 pm
From that article I can see a two things.

The owners had a clear out of non-football staff who weren't pulling up any trees, which is a view I've held for a while and expressed before because the club was lagging behind in various areas.

Dyche had become bigger than the club if staff were going to him instead of the owners for certain things.
That's a pretty one sided equation..... have they replaced them with staff who are doing better? Are ticket sales easier, are communications better, is the club shop in better order, does the club feel more, or less connected to the community>? Granted, we've upgraded the LED installer - he's doing a cracking job.
These 4 users liked this post: bf2k joey13 elwaclaret ClaretTony

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:41 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:29 pm
That's a pretty one sided equation..... have they replaced them with staff who are doing better? Are ticket sales easier, are communications better, is the club shop in better order, does the club feel more, or less connected to the community>? Granted, we've upgraded the LED installer - he's doing a cracking job.
We've been behind in various areas for years, you know it.

I find ticket sales easier, I order online, I get an email with an e-ticket and off I go
The last game I attended, I purchased the ticket the night before, I didn't have to allow a week for delivery
To me that's a vast improvement, I don't think you can appreciate that if you're a ST holder, because I no longer need to plan weeks in advance, I can do it on a whim.

The social media side also appears to be getting better, it still needs to speed up, but I can see an improvement

I haven't ordered anything online at the club shop for a while, but when I ordered during the pandemic I got it within the advertised 10 days wait which I felt was reasonable.
As someone who's done e-commerce I do think they could do better with the range and stock levels but that should improve gradually.

I don't feel the need to have a chat with the club about anything, because as yet I've not had an issue so I'm unable to comment on that either.

Community aspect, it was bound to change due to new owners, but as I don't live in the area anymore I'm unable to tell you if it's changed for better or worse.

Advertisement - this has changed, we've shifted some of the local business sponsors to the matchday led at the end of the road, where it's more effective for them and means we can replace them within the ground work more national or international sponsors.

We look at things differently, that's always going to be the case, but it is true that if people sit in the same job for years with no real motivation to improve then standards slip or remain low.
These 2 users liked this post: CrosspoolClarets Buxtonclaret

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:30 pm

The American owners clearly don't get the club as the OP claims. They are trying to re- invent our identity and it won't work.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:30 pm
The American owners clearly don't get the club as the OP claims. They are trying to re- invent our identity and it won't work.
I don’t think this is true at all.

Even if it is, Burnley in the context of the wider North West isn’t a premier town or destination. So does that mean that we should retain our identity and take up our place in league one?

I feel that we need to change to bring us in line and play by the rules of the league we’re in. You want a Premier League club, then you need to accept the necessary perceived evils that may bring along for the ride.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:22 pm

I made the reverse trip to Pace eg Burnley to Florida and I certainly don’t GET Americans So it would be zero surprise if Pace doesn’t get Burnley !! Been here 14 years and understand it less than I did when I came

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Some inconvenient truths omitted from that article and that is something that makes me more inclined to give Pace the benefit of the doubt.

One truth is the fallout between Dyche and Garlick. We know 100% that was the case. That the previous owners would have been certain to trust Dyche to get us back up is far from guaranteed yet that is claimed as a big difference in the Americans.

The other truth is the lack of quality in some of the off field areas. We have whinged about much of it for many years. Ticketing was a shambles despite the noble efforts of some of the staff. The website was and is appalling. The scouting was rubbish. The stadium was never improved in the areas most of us sit. Some of these people were either underperforming or there was underinvestment.

It is highly likely Dyche had begun to believe his own hype and grown too big for his boots. Too many players like Wood were no longer busting a gut for him (we speculate on the ‘for him’ bit but he was responsible ultimately). The football was cautious and arguably threw away leads or didn’t take games on where we drew 0-0.

So rather that believe the stuff in the Mail I tend to think Pace lost his patience and is determined to improve things. Whether that will be done successfully - we’ll have to see.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:29 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Even if it is, Burnley in the context of the wider North West isn’t a premier town or destination. So does that mean that we should retain our identity and take up our place in league one?

I feel that we need to change to bring us in line and play by the rules of the league we’re in. You want a Premier League club, then you need to accept the necessary perceived evils that may bring along for the ride.
So our identity is league 1 , where have you been ?
Well is it true or isn't it ? You don't appear to know .

My response probably sounds harsh but it is clear what our club means to fans and it's not about what division we are in.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:34 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:00 pm

Clubs like Burnley only survive in the top league by being disruptors of the norm - certainly not by playing by the rules of the leagues norms, you will just be devoured by by richer, bigger clubs doing that - If the people in ownership have not learned that simple lesson then we really are going to struggle

It is no coincidence, that our model stopped being as effective the moment that clubs with vastly deeper pockets started employing a similar approach to recruitment and deliberately raised price expectations in our well known hunting grounds. As for fertile overseas markets - are they really? given the level of competition we are seeing in them, at best we are picking up players in a combination of sellers need and our rivals having doubts about the individuals themselves - for all we appreciate the talents the concerns are there for people to see.

I was hoping that we would see some genuine disruption in the commercial arena under VSL - there is no sign of it yet - everything I am aware of is pretty much follow the leader standard fare - that will not give us the edge we/they need to boost revenues dramatically
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:29 pm

My response probably sounds harsh but it is clear what our club means to fans and it's not about what division we are in.
Blakesboots has been on here since Saturday Elizabeth ... makes you think perhaps he is a stirrer of pots ... maybe his/her allegiances lie elsewhere 👍

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:37 pm

I'll bear that in mind boss

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:42 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:28 pm
Some inconvenient truths omitted from that article and that is something that makes me more inclined to give Pace the benefit of the doubt.

One truth is the fallout between Dyche and Garlick. We know 100% that was the case. That the previous owners would have been certain to trust Dyche to get us back up is far from guaranteed yet that is claimed as a big difference in the Americans.

The other truth is the lack of quality in some of the off field areas. We have whinged about much of it for many years. Ticketing was a shambles despite the noble efforts of some of the staff. The website was and is appalling. The scouting was rubbish. The stadium was never improved in the areas most of us sit. Some of these people were either underperforming or there was underinvestment.

It is highly likely Dyche had begun to believe his own hype and grown too big for his boots. Too many players like Wood were no longer busting a gut for him (we speculate on the ‘for him’ bit but he was responsible ultimately). The football was cautious and arguably threw away leads or didn’t take games on where we drew 0-0.

So rather that believe the stuff in the Mail I tend to think Pace lost his patience and is determined to improve things. Whether that will be done successfully - we’ll have to see.
Agree with this from Andy Jones, the players tolerated his tactics/methods when we were getting results.

"Multiple sources have said they felt Dyche had lost the dressing room, not necessarily by doing anything bad but through a growing disconnect with some players and frustrations about a style of play that was no longer delivering positive results."
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 pm

Sleeping Cat wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:27 pm
Interesting article.

I do feel that the removal of a lot of the employees was not past or present performance related, but just that they wanted their own people in to implement the ALK vision for BFC. Now, that's all well and good, but by removing a lot of these people from the club, many of whom were fans of the club, or lived locally, you start to strip away some identity of the club that made us what we are.

International commercial expansion, again yes a good thing in most respects, but by shunning local sponsors & pricing out local companies from opportunities to sponsor you lose some of that identity, people and companies who have supported the club for a long time. And it could all be for nowt if relegated, as international companies won't want to advertise with a team in the championship.

Revamp of the corporate facilities, very nice, but doubling the costs to bring them inline with other premier league clubs, we're a small town not a large city with a huge number of companies based there who can afford such a huge increase in prices, again pricing out local corporations in favour of those who can afford from further afield.

Silly things too, the removal of the legends posters on the outside of the stadiums, to paint the walls from claret to black, another small stripping of some identify.

ALK have homogenised a lot of the club, used a cut and ready template for other clubs and are following it ignoring characteristics that were already present at the club. The vision is right to progress off the field but they have gone about it in a way that affects the very essence of who we are as a club.

This is what's wrong with football at the top level, loss of identity, corporate whitewashing etc. it's why many people are moving away from it to watch smaller teams, (non league football booming). We were able to sit at the top table and still maintain our identity.
Well said, Sleeping Cat.

Outward commercial funding sources are one thing, to rip apart the 'local' of Burnley is an absolute disgrace.
Burnley is a football town - one of the few originals. Burnley people will have to pick up the pieces.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:47 pm

If all this is true then we will see it on the field for the rest of the season. The feeling has been that too many players are not good enough and I think this is a fair assessment .
Wouldn't it be great if it was Dyche all along. That''s a difficult one to grasp considering all his excellent management over the years

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:52 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:29 pm

You’ve very much missed your own point.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:53 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:35 pm
Blakesboots has been on here since Saturday Elizabeth ... makes you think perhaps he is a stirrer of pots ... maybe his/her allegiances lie elsewhere 👍
I forgot you all think I am Alan.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:53 pm
I forgot you all think I am Alan.
Is Alan a Euphemism 🤭🤭🤭

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:19 pm

Bosscat wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:00 pm
Is Alan a Euphemism 🤭🤭🤭
Good one 👍🏼

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:41 pm
We've been behind in various areas for years, you know it.

I order online, I get an email with an e-ticket and off I go
The last game I attended, I purchased the ticket the night before, I didn't have to allow a week for delivery
To me that's a vast improvement, I don't think you can appreciate that if you're a ST holder, because I no longer need to plan weeks in advance, I can do it on a whim.
Whilst I agree the eticket approach is definitely the way forward and a vast improvement I have ordered tickets on a whim before and simply picked up on the day. You had to get there in time to pick up tickets but you didn't HAVE to order a week in advance (which is a bit of an exaggeration anyway as tickets usually arrived within 1 or 2 days)
We look at things differently, that's always going to be the case, but it is true that if people sit in the same job for years with no real motivation to improve then standards slip or remain low.
I'm not sure that's true. Where's the evidence that people staying in a job need motivating? Many people continue to work hard in the same job. That view that people need motivating is kind of old fashioned. People work if they feel happy, if they feel they are appreciated and trusted, if they have a view that is listened to.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:54 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 pm
Whilst I agree the eticket approach is definitely the way forward and a vast improvement I have ordered tickets on a whim before and simply picked up on the day. You had to get there in time to pick up tickets but you didn't HAVE to order a week in advance (which is a bit of an exaggeration anyway as tickets usually arrived within 1 or 2 days)

I'm not sure that's true. Where's the evidence that people staying in a job need motivating? Many people continue to work hard in the same job. That view that people need motivating is kind of old fashioned. People work if they feel happy, if they feel they are appreciated and trusted, if they have a view that is listened to.
I prefer to be able to order on a whim and not have to collect from the ticket office, because I can't be bothered with the queue and people, plus there have been times I've got to the ground on or just after kick off due to traffic.
The week was if I had the tickets posted, that was the time it was best to allow for.

Yes there are people who've been in jobs for years and lack any real motivation and in many cases new ideas.
I've seen it loads of times in various places I've worked at.

People do need motivating, to get the best out of them, if they're allowed to just float along then not much will change, however some people just don't respond so that's when they need to be moved on.
I've had to do that before, it's just business and it's never been personal.

claretandbluesky
Been Liked: 78 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by claretandbluesky » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:07 pm

Which club are we talking about, the great club of the past which brought players through on a conveyor belt

Or the pragmatic club of modern times built on a team ethic, tight knit endeavour and a fairly rigid system

Of course they’re going to bring American ideas some of which we may hate, some which will make us more efficient and inventive.

To pretend we are going to remain in some comfortable old place where time stood still is unrealistic.
The owners will find that some change is accepted some runs counter to our values and wishes.

It’s going to be a journey for all parties.
This user liked this post: Braindead

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:52 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:54 pm
People do need motivating, to get the best out of them, if they're allowed to just float along then not much will change, however some people just don't respond so that's when they need to be moved on.
I've had to do that before, it's just business and it's never been personal.
Maybe they don't like working for you?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:04 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:52 pm
Maybe they don't like working for you?
Not fussed if they did or not, I always expected their best.
If I didn't get it moved them on, I was there to improve the business, not molly coddle people.
This user liked this post: yosserhughes

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:23 pm

Couple of things that have wound me up in recent days.

This talk of “the Burnley way” etc…..I was brought up on us having flying wingers, goal scorers and flair on the field. Mullen, Heath, Ternent being notable exponents of this. What we’ve seen was the Dyche way, not the Burnley way. It worked until fairly recently but I don’t see it as our identity.

Also, all this talk of Sean getting the fans and the town and stuff like that. I was never convinced he did to the level some people suggested: let’s be honest, he couldn’t even bring himself to go for a pint in a pub named in his honour.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:28 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:23 pm

This talk of “the Burnley way” etc…..I was brought up on us having flying wingers, goal scorers and flair on the field. Mullen, Heath, Ternent being notable exponents of this. What we’ve seen was the Dyche way, not the Burnley way. It worked until fairly recently but I don’t see it as our identity.

Also, all this talk of Sean getting the fans and the town and stuff like that. I was never convinced he did to the level some people suggested: let’s be honest, he couldn’t even bring himself to go for a pint in a pub named in his honour.
I'm sure if he had drank in a pub named after him that his perennial detractors would have called it egotistical & vain.

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:33 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:29 pm
Well one would probably still be at the club if they didn’t hit reply all…

That guy they hired to sort the match day experience should be next out of the door.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:36 pm

arise_sir_charge wrote:

Also, “at Turf”

On the Turf
On’t Turf
At the Turf

Never At Turf

Darren Bentley should have corrected him the first day he said that. Instead club officials changed to the way HE said it.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:51 pm

Interesting coincidence that the lead up the clarets article on Dyche and the Mail article both seem to draw quite heavily on the Arsene Wenger analogy.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:08 am

Half the problems in the world are caused by people living in the past. History is just that and shouldn't dictate the future

Bangers&Mash
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by Bangers&Mash » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 am

are-you-local.jpg
are-you-local.jpg (112.48 KiB) Viewed 1531 times

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:11 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:

I too was brought up on Mullen, Heath et Al. Where one sees flying wingers and goal scorers, another sees a big club bullying 4th division and 3rd division teams to promotion. It’s easier to have those things when your budget is bigger than most.