Anyone else feeling the nerves?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Anyone else feeling the nerves?

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:32 pm

I’m finding myself looking at the league table every day, weighing up the different fixtures, wishing the days to go by so we can get to Saturday and do the job. Knowing how big a feat it would be to survive, maybe I need to calm down! :lol:

I don’t think I’ve felt like this since the period between the play off semi final and the final in 2009 in what felt like forever.

Anyone else struggling to think of anything else?
These 6 users liked this post: KateR GaryClaret Cleveleys_claret ClaretMov Gibbo Darnhill Claret

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Re: Anyone else feeling the nerves?

Post by andyh » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:37 pm

Yep… its the hope that kills you. Ive convinced myself we will win on Saturday and that will mean we are 5 ahead… and then Everton will lose so they will only have one game in hand…and then if we beat Villa we could be 8 ahead with Everton only 5 games left… and then what about Leeds we could be 3 ahead of them with them having no winnable games until the very end… and then… and then… and then
These 4 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop ClaretMov Bosscat Gibbo

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:40 pm

not necessarily struggling, but definitely picking apart fixtures and possible outcomes, I am nervous about the Watford game Saturday, when we had a mini revival in the short period we beat Spurs hope was high only to be almost distraught with games against Brentford and Norwich. So many times I've seen us play well against top 10 teams only to be poor against the bottom 10. Looking at the way we've played and results in games against teams in and close around us, I just feel Watford can be a defining game. That doesn't mean we're safe if we win and down if we lose, but a win will show to me that this team under this management have moved up a gear and they beat the drop
These 4 users liked this post: gandhisflipflop RVclaret Cleveleys_claret JohnDearyMe

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:42 pm

Play well in the last 5 games and everything will take care of itself.

Remember even if we lose to Watford it's still not over

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:45 pm

My toilet roll consumption has upped 40% and is now increasing exponentially with each game won. Sore backside now kicking in . Yes, nervous!
This user liked this post: GaryClaret

Guller Bull
Been Liked: 763 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by Guller Bull » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:45 pm

Yup all that! Four games ago I was resigned to relegation and really looking forward to the Championship and the derbies.

Now I really want us to play good attacking football and stay up so we can endure another year of stressy relegation battle.

It's amazing the amount of crap we put ourselves through following our team.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov KateR

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:46 pm

I can understand the point you are making but I have to admit that, if anything, my emotions are pretty well subdued and under control with regards to the next fixture and the fixtures as a whole. During a game it's completely different however.
An inexplainable phenomena is present. I'm expecting the opposition to score whilst merely hoping we do. Think Dickens character, Mr Micawber, but in an alien universe.
As I said to a number of people after the final whistle on Sunday on leaving their seats ' it's not the healthiest way to spend a couple of hours in the fresh air, is it'?
This user liked this post: JohnDearyMe

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:46 pm

KateR wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:40 pm
not necessarily struggling, but definitely picking apart fixtures and possible outcomes, I am nervous about the Watford game Saturday, when we had a mini revival in the short period we beat Spurs hope was high only to be almost distraught with games against Brentford and Norwich. So many times I've seen us play well against top 10 teams only to be poor against the bottom 10. Looking at the way we've played and results in games against teams in and close around us, I just feel Watford can be a defining game. That doesn't mean we're safe if we win and down if we lose, but a win will show to me that this team under this management have moved up a gear and they beat the drop
Exactly my thoughts
This user liked this post: KateR

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:47 pm

Actually no, more worried my Watford tickets get lost in the post than the result. Just enjoying winning and football worth watching!

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:52 pm

The problem with being involved at the business end of any season is that you suffer through your own games and those of your rivals. If the games are spread out over a weekend, it can feel pretty full on.

I remember taking the kids to Euro Disney when we won the Championship and spending what should have been a nice family night in the park obsessing about what Boro & Brighton were doing in their games. I think Boro scored a late goal and I was fuming.

I’m convinced the summer break is as important to fans as it is the players.
These 4 users liked this post: Guller Bull Silkyskills1 ClaretMov HunterST_BFC

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:52 pm

Nervous about Saturday yes, if we win that then I think (whilst not exactly feeling ‘relaxed’…) I’ll be quite confident of our survival.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:54 pm

Trying not to be

But as had already been said, its the hope that kills you

I didn't think we had a chance of getting the 15 points before Thurs that would definitely see us safe, but seeing us get six, keep two clean sheets and play very well indeed has me confident for the first time in a while

But its still a big ask, but all we can do is just keep performing and we will see where it takes us
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:56 pm

Not sure what to make of it myself as all over the shop .

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:05 pm

To be honest, since Sean Dyche left us and Wacko Jacko took over I’ve been much more relaxed about our football and our perilous situation. I greatly admired Sean Dyche and he is a Claret legend, but I feel his departure is the best thing for the club and my well-being in particular. I am looking forward to Saturday’s game with renewed confidence and belief that we can get three points towards safety.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:10 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:52 pm
The problem with being involved at the business end of any season is that you suffer through your own games and those of your rivals. If the games are spread out over a weekend, it can feel pretty full on.

I remember taking the kids to Euro Disney when we won the Championship and spending what should have been a nice family night in the park obsessing about what Boro & Brighton were doing in their games. I think Boro scored a late goal and I was fuming.

I’m convinced the summer break is as important to fans as it is the players.

I remember Boro scoring something like a 97th minute winner against Reading. It was awful

ervi34
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 104 times

Post by ervi34 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:21 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:10 pm
I remember Boro scoring something like a 97th minute winner against Reading. It was awful
And Reading missed a sitter 20 seconds before that. :mrgreen:

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:24 pm

What helps is that (touching wood) our goalie and defenders are looking rock solid and determined. Contrast to Everton’s defenders making mistakes against us and others. The key is to get the players playing well not nervous. I hope that doesn’t change now we are looking down not up.

So that makes me more relaxed but Watford remains pivotal - with that and I think we’ll do it, fail to and it won’t look good. So yes, I’ll be feeling it more as the week goes on.

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:32 pm

Big time feeling the nerves. Would have preferred a match mid week to keep the momentum going, I know it gets tiring but the effort against Wolves, our third game in just over a week compared to their 2 weeks off, the energy levels were there still, until the last minute.

The weeks break can have us now overthink, work on stuff too much, become too tactical. We just need to say get out on that pitch, show the pride, desire and commitment that has been shown in the last three games.

I was sure we were getting relegated before Dyche got sacked, his sacking made me think we may if play it right have a little chance, that hope has grown with each game. Whatever happens though, I think we can say these players did everything they could, left everything out on the pitch, and even if we do go down, I think a connection between fans and players has been reignited
This user liked this post: Tread Warily

beddie
Been Liked: 1384 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:33 pm

I know we really could do with a win at Watford but I think the important thing with this game is not to lose. I agree though the game weighs on your mind.

jdrobbo

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 pm

ervi34 wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:21 pm
And Reading missed a sitter 20 seconds before that. :mrgreen:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m almost certain that was Matej Vydra 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:37 pm

I dealt with relegation after the Norwich game. I attained an almost Zen like state of acceptance and equanimity.

Brickin it now mind.
These 2 users liked this post: Silkyskills1 KateR

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:38 pm

My alcohol consumption is just not healthy at all, but I am just a mess at the moment LOL, even when I take my own advise about not worrying about something you cant affect.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:39 pm

Nervous excitement with a degree of holding myself back so I don’t start getting to the point I will be gutted if we don’t stay up now.
Rather feel like this than the apathy and resignation I was feeling before.
Football is very often cruel but these players and the young management team deserve a good ending for bringing the pride and joy back

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:47 pm

nope, it's exciting - we stand a chance - I'm treating like a push for the play-offs !
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick GaryClaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7099 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:47 pm
nope, it's exciting - we stand a chance - I'm treating like a push for the play-offs !
I am quite relaxed about it, too. I hope the players aren't nervous. They don't seem to be.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4045 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:59 pm

Nails gone.
Pens chewed.

Its dreadful.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:04 pm

This is not the season to give up drinking

I’m confident we’ll beat Villa at home but the Watford game isn’t allowing me to go too far from a bathroom

DukeOfBar
Been Liked: 63 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by DukeOfBar » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:11 pm

I had sort of accepted that relegation was highly likely after the run of defeats recently. So just decided to try and enjoy the remaining prem games, before the likes of Bristol City, Millwall etc become thge norm again.

So the recent upturn is an unexpected bonus, but not getting carried away....

Still be nice to see Neverton go down instead tho ;-)
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:26 pm

I have thought we've gone after a number of matches, firstly after our defeat at BR. And lately after Norwich.

But the players believe and even if we do drop we know they are giving everything they have.

I'm trying my hardest to forget about Sunday and forget we're finally out of the bottom three. I still fear Everton will find some form.

However, DL ARE NOT out of it given their next three games.

Very glad we haven't got a midweek match so our injured lads (Max and Jay) can hopefully recover and also gives all the players a chance to rest.

One game at a time. :)

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:26 pm

I watched the first half of the Merseyside Derby when I got back home on Sunday. In a lot more calm and relaxed state I'd seen them dispatch Man. Utd a few days earlier. I kept asking myself watching the Derby 'is this the same Liverpool from a few days earlier'? They somehow looked vulnerable, at Anfield too. Passes not reaching, pushes and shoves, they were lucky to get away with. Had to go out after and really glad I did. Understandable being anxious when your own team is playing but it was by no means diminished watching Liverpool/Everton.

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:31 pm

If we beat Watford Saturday I’m convinced we stay up.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:38 pm

I just keep thinking what if ? What if we didn’t drop stupid points to Leeds Norwich and Watford at home. What if Everton didn’t beat Man Utd etc etc
But hey what if we win at Watford and Everton and Leeds lose
And What if we stay up ...., what happens then ?

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:42 pm

The Norwich match was the pits from every angle………no fight, no tactics, resignation to our fate and local derbies next season.

But

Whatever has happened behind the scenes, they’ve unlocked the dry powder room, gone for it and my oh my what a difference on and off the pitch………….nervous but only in terms of it feels like ours to lose now………..the lads have it in them to get those results…..

Watford tickets in hand, can’t wait for the Clarets to descend on Vicarage Road………….

COYC!

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:50 pm

I think Watford will be the acid test. I wouldn't have been too surprised to have drawn at West Ham and beaten Southampton and Wolves at home with Dyche - we've had that kind of run in previous seasons. Where we have really struggled this season has been to get up for the games where we would expect to pick up points - Brentford away, Norwich away, Newcastle, Leeds etc. A win on Saturday and I will believe we have made a major change for the better. Very nervous...

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:04 pm

Came away from the Wolves game confident, then the Merseyside derby cemented my optimism. Looked at the league table, looking at Evertons fixtures - everything looking good.

Now it's Tuesday, I know nothing changed but now I'm not so sure again. I still think Everton will pick up more points than us in the last 6 games.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:07 pm

Nervous, but a good nervous now we have hope. Under Dyche there wasn't any nerves, just an expectancy to fail. I'm confident we'll turn up at Watford, hopefully gone are the days of the limp performances (Norwich,Newcastle,Leeds,Brentford). Watford have lost 10 home games on the bounce, which meant under Dyche they were bound to win. We need a cushion by the time Everton play Watford, Palace and Brentford.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:12 pm

The next two fixtures are just absolutely huge for all 3 clubs, the pressure is really on us though, this represents our best chance to put points on the board.

GaryClaret
Been Liked: 35 times
Has Liked: 229 times

Post by GaryClaret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:25 pm

Yeah I'm nervous too. But I'm also very excited to see us play on Saturday.

It was the first time we had gone on the Turf as a family at the weekend - the first game for my four year old daughter. The sun shined. The colour of the shirts in the stands. The euphoria when the goal went in. I held her up at the end.

--------------------------------------
Just a perfect day
Drink sangria in the park
And then later, when it gets dark
We go home

Just a perfect day
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later a movie, too
And then home

Oh, it's such a perfect day
I'm glad I spent it with you
Oh, such a perfect day
You just keep me hanging on
----------------------------------------

Please bring everything to Saturday's game. We can do this.
These 2 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing KateR

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:33 pm

Having just watched a replay of the 2nd half against Wolves i'm feeling quietly confident about Saturday........the whole team played out of their skins!
The passion and commitment on display was as good as i've seen in years & the goal was a thing of beauty....Pope rolls it out & next thing it's in their net without them touching it......similar to the Wigan goal Barnes scored.
This team is fired up........& staying up!

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:34 pm

GaryClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:25 pm

It was the first time we had gone on the Turf as a family at the weekend - the first game for my four year old daughter. The sun shined. The colour of the shirts in the stands. The euphoria when the goal went in. I held her up at the end.

Just a perfect day
We go home

Just a perfect day
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later a movie, too
And then home

Oh, such a perfect day

Great song!

ervi34
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 104 times

Post by ervi34 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:00 pm

jdrobbo wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:35 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m almost certain that was Matej Vydra 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪
Haha, you're right. :D

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:05 pm

Having now watched the full Wolves game twice I’m amazed how many folk think it was a good performance, it wasn’t. The commitment was undeniable, the solidity at the back was first rate(against a poor attack) but going forward they still looked like strangers. In their favour it was an odd line-up that never looked settled.
Still they won and the last three results can only increase their confidence for the battles ahead.
I actually thought Woy was a fantastic appointment by Watford. Thankfully it hasn’t worked out but can they really lose 8 successive home games. I hope so.

BleedingClaret
Been Liked: 985 times
Has Liked: 1656 times

Post by BleedingClaret » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:24 pm

Around the 80 minute mark in the Wolves game I said
I absolutely hate & love this in equal measures
Felt sick to the stomach felt excited too
Knew we wouldn’t hold on
Knew we could
Nothing like it

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:32 pm

I am inclined to agree with you to an extent re the Wolves game. The passing overall wasn’t that great and after the goal Wolves pinned us back for half an hour but without penetrating our defence.

But…. they managed to score a wonderful goal against one of the four best defences in the division and the key to hat was McNeil unlocking their back line.

Plus they battled for every ball in a manner similar to the Spurs game. It was no paseran at the back and we didn’t even need Popey.

Saturday will be different it will be nowhere near as cagey as Watford have to have a go as draw or loss will more or less finish them off. Hence the game will be far more open. In our favour is that Watford have scored nearly the same amount of goals as Burnley but let in loads more, their goal difference is -36.

The boys can do this if their minds are set right. This where Jackson comes in this week.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:23 pm

My mate said to me in the pub straight after the wolves game "wouldn't you far sooner be us than Man City, because it's far, far more exciting?" and I had to actually agree. But it's also incredibly nerve racking and I've had us dead and buried so many times which is actually somewhat relaxing because you find you're able to not care. But then we keep bouncing back and my biggest fear of all is that instead of being largely hopeless and going down by 7 points clear of safety because we deserve to, we'll fight to the bitter end and go down to last minute goal just one point short of safety and that would be far harder to take.

Dressinggown
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 79 times

Post by Dressinggown » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:09 am

Being in a position where we might just survive is a revelation.

Up the Clarets.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:39 am

Watford 1 Point At Least.

2 or 3 in the two Villa Game.

We'll Be Fine.

Don't get tonked by Spurs!!!

(Wood Skies A Late Pen Onto The Cricket Field)

We Stay Up.
Relax !!! 8-)

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:07 am

Feeling the nerves and loving every minute of it. We're in a historic relegation battle and one I was convinced we had no part in a few weeks ago. Looking forward to Saturday and our continued fight, immensely.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:22 am

I’d rather be us than Everton or Leeds.

I accept whatever happens will happen.

The only thing I can control is the support I give them at games.

Will continue to do my bit and together with the confidence that we have gained from last 3 games will see us over the line.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:33 am

GaryClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:25 pm

Just a perfect day
We go home

Just a perfect day
Feed animals in the zoo
Then later a movie, too
And then home

Oh, such a perfect day

Now that's a song I'd like to hear sang slowly from the stands. Sounds like a great day, GaryClaret.
This user liked this post: GaryClaret