A Hero past away update

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
pureclaret
Been Liked: 433 times
Has Liked: 176 times

A Hero past away update

Post by pureclaret » Thu May 05, 2022 11:46 pm

Good evening to clarets the world over, two weeks ago today My Dad past away at age 99. He was a Bunley born boy who livid here all his life except for when he went to war.
I put a eulogy on this site at the time with two thoughts, one was the grief I was feeling and that he was and had been a true claret before most people on this site, and I wanted to share my loss.
The other was I had started to put together a eulogy that I would read at his funeral, and that I am aware that on here people can be brutally honest in thier opinions.
Well I was stunned by the kind heart felt replys and it made me realise that the claret family is huge, but made up of lots of small familys. And that these small ones come together when a member is hurt or suffering, and whilst I am sure its the same the world over I like to think that in the north where no one likes us, we dont half no how to stick together.

So I decided to update on my dads final journey, last Tuesday was his funeral, he had in February told me he wanted a pre paid funeral plan as he had seen that the price was expected to rise by up to 10% per year, whilst we joked about Dad your 98 how much do you tghink it will rise by beflre you go, his reply was, '' I dont know Chris but if its more than £450 thats a season ticket lost.

We decided on Champs at clayton, and I sorted it out for him following his whishes. So They were brilliant in how they helped and what I had thought was going to be a pretty basic funeral turned out to be anything but.

So on Tuesday we went to champs to follow the coffin to Accrington crematorium, we were asked to go in to see his coffin before it would be placed in the coffin (did not ecpect that) now perhaps I should explain as he was lossing his sight he had been recomeneded to get in touch with the Blind Veterans and for the last 10 years they had been involved with him, giving support of people and equipment to help him live at home and be self sufficient, on hearing about his death they sent a poppie wreath and suggested that British Legion were contacted.
So we went in to see his coffin and our flowers from the family were on the coffin along with a poppie wreath and draped over the coffin was the union flag. The Legiion said there are not many D-Day veterans left and they deserve the flag.
We followed the coffin to the crem, and walked in to air on a g string, the lady from Champs was our clebrant and was wondeful, she introduced the proceedings and spoke about what was to happen and how, followed by a tribute to my Dad and to use. Then My brother in law read a poem ''he is gone''
Then it was time for me, now my wife had said practice the eulogy for several days before, but I read it once chosing instead to go to the Watford game, I thought back to the way people on here had put there thoughts of what I had put, most seemed to say if it comes from the heart thats what matters, I absolutley followed your collective advice. The only thing I did was 2 hrs before took my dog for a walk and repeated out loud what my Dad used to say about public speaking, Chris slow down, open your mouth widder and project your voice to the back of the room, I was as fit to go as any one could be, I read out my tribute to my Dad stopping from time to time as I shed a tear had to ad lib as couple of tears stopped me reading from the eulogy sheets. I finished and the clebrant read another poem ''Think of me''
The last post was played then the reading ''they shall not grow old'' and I thought this is not appropriate to my Dad, but then thought it was as he had lost comrades on that day.
Then revallie, by now not a dry eye to be seen.
Then the song Danny boy sung by Jim reaves.
We were then given chance to go touch the coffin, as I touched and said by dad, it occuered to me his spirtual jurney was over and it was the last part of his phisical journey was nearly done.
After peolpe were very kind and we went home.
Yesterday I collected his ashes, last aprt to be done.
Today my wife and I went to Lane hill baptist church in Briercliffe, I went to my Mothers parents grave, on which my mums ashes had been scattered some 35 years ago. I had been there with Dad in 2019 before covid and he had said when he died where i had to stand my feet to touch the grave and scater his ahses.
So if any one knows the area you can look back to the hil and Nelson is to your left and there in the trees you can see the outline of a farm and barn with cottage that Dad had coime home from war to live wuth his new wife, and repeated the words Dad asked me to say as I scatered the ashes ''Margaret I m home''
I shed a few tears then thought, your home Dad I think you would be proud of me, love you and thank you for the lessons you gave me.
Can I thank all clarets who have shared this time in my life when though sad I could celebrate a remarkable man to me My Dad.
These 45 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo mybloodisclaret superdimitri spadesclaret Bullabill Clarets4me MG70 Vegas Claret ClaretMov Rowls Suratclaret groove The Enclosure winsomeyen wilks_bfc bfcjg Buxtonclaret longsidepies ClaretTony Andingle Cirrus_Minor ClaretCliff mkmel GaryClaret lesxdp Mayoclaret IanMcL ropecatchmonkey Goody1975 Guller Bull Tricky Trevor Leisure Paul Waine quoonbeatz Aclaret Claret Till I Die bobinho ashtonlongsider Juan Tanamera JTClaret DCWat Boban BleedingClaret Gerry Hattrick jjclaret

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4030 times

Re: A Hero past away update

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 am

Very emotional and moving Pure. I am sorry for your loss, but feel pride that find solace amongst fellow Clarets. Your dad sounds like a great bloke and a hero, may he rest in peace. UTC.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 303 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Bullabill » Fri May 06, 2022 1:34 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 12:22 am
Your dad sounds like a great bloke and a hero, ....
And so does his son.
These 5 users liked this post: Mayoclaret IanMcL Claret Till I Die Juan Tanamera mybloodisclaret

MG70
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 425 times

Post by MG70 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:59 am

That was very moving pureclaret, you did your father proud and may he rest in peace.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11047 times
Has Liked: 5656 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri May 06, 2022 3:22 am

I lost my dad 3 years ago, nowhere near 99 unfortunately. You will find yourself still talking to him Pureclaret every now and again, it's a weird feeling for sure. I've never once thought he isn't with me every second of every day. Funnily enough my dads favoutrite song was Danny boy. RIP Pureclarets dad, he'll be with you always though.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Fri May 06, 2022 6:18 am

Wow.....I cried reading that pureclaret, my two children lost their mum aged 49 to cancer three years next month and things like this bring home how precious life is.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 333 times
Has Liked: 788 times

Post by Suratclaret » Fri May 06, 2022 6:43 am

A very moving tribute pure claret right from your heart.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Fri May 06, 2022 6:56 am

We’ll done PC……….

UTC.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri May 06, 2022 7:14 am

So moving pureclaret, your Dad would have been very proud.
Whatever your religious persuasion, if any, you have to believe that one day we will meet up again with our loved ones.In the meantime they will always be with you in your heart.
ps I know the church and area that you speak of as i lived just up the road for several years. It is a lovely area.

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Fri May 06, 2022 7:35 am

Didn't expect to shed a tear this morning.

Beautifully written, pureclaret.

UTC!

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 436 times
Has Liked: 370 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Fri May 06, 2022 7:41 am

Well, you got me again pureclaret.

Glad the day went as well as it could, sure he would have encouraged you to attend the game over the practice runs. I've walked/ran up Walverden Road many times since being a kid - a lovely resting place for your father and family.

UTC

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5080 times
Has Liked: 6879 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri May 06, 2022 8:06 am

RIP, a wonderful man.

Oldparkwood
Been Liked: 127 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Oldparkwood » Fri May 06, 2022 8:07 am

Wow! How proud must your Dad of been of you. I’m sure he will rest in peace knowing the fact that not only you but he also was loved and supported by many.

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 519 times

Post by beddie » Fri May 06, 2022 8:22 am

Gosh that was lovely pureclaret. A fitting tribute to a wonderful Dad. He’ll be so proud of you as you were of him.

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Fri May 06, 2022 8:26 am

You’ve just made a another well ‘ard 45 man cry. Proper tears streaming down my face.
A rare thing indeed.

He will be be so proud. What a man. What a son.

Well done for completing your brave brave journey and completing his wishes with such love and honour for the man

Thank you for sharing and God bless you and your family.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri May 06, 2022 8:49 am

Excellent PC and how lucky to have him around for so long in your life without him losing his faculties
The likes of your Dad is why we are still free to live our lives as we do without fear or favour

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Fri May 06, 2022 9:04 am

I lost my dad last July and he was Burnley through and through this brought a tear to my eye very moving UTC

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32526 times
Has Liked: 5276 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 06, 2022 9:13 am

Tears here too, lovely tribute to your dad who would be so proud of you.

jackmiggins
Been Liked: 197 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by jackmiggins » Fri May 06, 2022 10:04 am

That was absolutely beautiful pureclaret. My very best wishes to you and your family.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Fri May 06, 2022 10:19 am

More tears here. I said your original post was a lovely tribute and this is just as moving.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6384 times
Has Liked: 8726 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 06, 2022 11:24 am

More tears!

You too are a hero, albeit in a different way to your dad.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2472 times
Has Liked: 2008 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri May 06, 2022 12:46 pm

It comes across that you had a very special relationship. You lucky man.
Condolences, may your pain ease and the memories remain.

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Fri May 06, 2022 1:23 pm

God bless Him UTC!

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3181 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri May 06, 2022 1:41 pm

Another drying my eyes. Twelve years back, April 2010 I was at Accrington crematorium sending off my Dad. Seven weeks later, we were back there again, this time for my Mum's funeral. We scattered their ashes together, on what would have been their 69th wedding anniversary, in one of their favourite spots in the Lakes.

God bless, Pure's Dad.

Aclaret
Been Liked: 1306 times
Has Liked: 1404 times

Post by Aclaret » Fri May 06, 2022 5:14 pm

Difficult not to be moved reading this.
All the best Chris ( pureclaret) you did yourself and dad proud. Really nice from the British Legion too.
May your dad RIP.

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 329 times
Has Liked: 254 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Fri May 06, 2022 5:49 pm

Your dad would have been proud of you, be proud of yourself, that was written from the heart and was a beautiful read. May your memories help you in the days ahead

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Fri May 06, 2022 5:50 pm

Very moving, your Dad will look down on you with pride. Thanks for sharing.