Manchester Airport

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Bigbopper
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Re: Manchester Airport

Post by Bigbopper » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm

Why are airports so short of staff were they not furloughed during the pandemic. Surely it does not take long to recruit and train baggage handlers.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:24 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm
Why are airports so short of staff were they not furloughed during the pandemic. Surely it does not take long to recruit and train baggage handlers.
Because traditionally a lot of them were EU citizens and now….. well you know.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2566 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:30 pm

martin_p wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:24 pm
That doesn't explain the staff shortages in Dublin / Frankfurt / Paris CDG etc.... I'm no brexiteer and whilst I am not saying it plays some part, this is due to forecasts on passengers being way off, and airports cutting too many staff, that are difficult to replace due to training and background check requirements. Passenger numbers through Dublin for example are around 60% different. The expecttation was that flight numbers would only return to 55-60% this year, rising to 70% next year of pre pandemic levels - actually running at around 110% of pre pandemic levels. The problems continue to be early morning flights, that are all sandwiched together, and early arrivers. Dublin this weekend will hold people who arrive too early in holding areas. The model, and the messaging is wrong. People arriving 5 hours before their flight contribute to the problem as well. They're like those people who get a seat in a food place whilst their other half are in the queue.

Bigbopper

Post by Bigbopper » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:39 pm

martin_p wrote:
Well seeing as the vast majority of EU citizens chose to remain in the UK I would say that's not correct.

1968claret
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by 1968claret » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:19 pm

Really shouldn’t have happened. The idea of the furlough scheme was to avoid this type of situation. Maintaining the workforce so that we could move quickly back to normalcy after lock down.
I am guessing that when Furlough scheme ended there was too much of a gap between that and the holiday trade beginning to pick up. Meaning that companies could not afford to keep people on.
The problem now appears to be twofold. Those who were fired have found better, more well paid and probably more sociable working hours. Replacing them taking longer due to all the security checks that must be completed and probably causing a bottleneck at the Home Office

SingaporeClarets
Been Liked: 43 times
Has Liked: 12 times

Post by SingaporeClarets » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:20 pm

Fretters wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:39 pm
Landed back into T2 today and it was a shambles. There was nobody to activate the air bridge and nobody to put the blocks on the plane wheels, so we had to sit on the tarmac for half an hour.

Then, once in, we waited ages by an empty carousel whilst the one next to us began churning bags out, yet with nobody waiting for bags there. Turned out the passengers of that plane had landed at 06:30 and it was now 13:30 so they'd given up and gone home.

I asked a member of staff (took an hour to see anyone) if we could do the same and have our luggage sent to us, but I was told that would only become an option after 3 hours. With two tired and hungry young kids with us, we had to raid the vending machine (no shops are accessible in baggage reclaim) and sit on the floor until the 3 hours was up, when they finally let us join a queue to get the forms.

It's clear the airport is massively understaffed and they really need to temporarily close a terminal, or something. The poor ones who are there seem to be doing 2 or 3 jobs at the same time.
Had a slightly better experience arriving in T2. Needed to wait for 30 minutes on the tarmac because the gates are too small for wide bodied aircraft and there werent any gates next to each other that were empty.

Immigration, families get put into a separate queue but only had 1 person dealing with this. Automated queue had 3 people dealing with those who struggled to look at a camera despite somehow being able to get their passport photograph taken. Once the immigration hall had emptied then the family queue started moving. After a 14 hour flight with young kids this isn't what you need to be stood in a non moving queue whereas in Singapore the airport staff rounded up all the families before boarding and got them on the flight before they even started boarding business class.

Everyone in the queue thought at least the bags would be out but when we got there of course the bags hadn't even started coming out but at least after another hour I managed to get the bags.

Then waiting for a bus to the hire car centre, massive queue, the bus had gone AWOL but at least someone had the common sense to take one of the empty buses and tell the driver to change and become the hire car centre bus.

Eventually 3.5 hours after touch down made it back to Burnley. Sounds like I got lucky but also worth it after such a long period of travel restrictions.

ClaretDiver
Been Liked: 553 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:22 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:08 pm
It's not the aspect of recruiting them it's all the security DBS checks etc needed so people probably will take other jobs in the meantime....
This user liked this post: JohnMac

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Just read that the government made changes to allow people to work as trainees without security checks.
9B12CA7B-B3FD-4E56-8C8B-4407EDDB6BA1.jpeg
9B12CA7B-B3FD-4E56-8C8B-4407EDDB6BA1.jpeg (294.65 KiB) Viewed 3686 times

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:40 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:27 pm
Just read that the government made changes to allow people to work as trainees without security checks.

No, they can begin training, doesn't mean they can be active in the role until security checks are done.....

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:42 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:27 pm

In addition to my post above, what company would invest money in training someone that might possibly fail security checks....smoke and mirrors from the government once again.....
This user liked this post: JohnMac

Fretters
Been Liked: 1035 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:40 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:20 pm
Had a slightly better experience arriving in T2. Needed to wait for 30 minutes on the tarmac because the gates are too small for wide bodied aircraft and there werent any gates next to each other that were empty.

Immigration, families get put into a separate queue but only had 1 person dealing with this. Automated queue had 3 people dealing with those who struggled to look at a camera despite somehow being able to get their passport photograph taken. Once the immigration hall had emptied then the family queue started moving. After a 14 hour flight with young kids this isn't what you need to be stood in a non moving queue whereas in Singapore the airport staff rounded up all the families before boarding and got them on the flight before they even started boarding business class.

Everyone in the queue thought at least the bags would be out but when we got there of course the bags hadn't even started coming out but at least after another hour I managed to get the bags.

Then waiting for a bus to the hire car centre, massive queue, the bus had gone AWOL but at least someone had the common sense to take one of the empty buses and tell the driver to change and become the hire car centre bus.

Eventually 3.5 hours after touch down made it back to Burnley. Sounds like I got lucky but also worth it after such a long period of travel restrictions.
Who did you fly with? It looks like our issues are mainly Tui ones.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:06 pm

I blame the whole lot of them. Why would airlines take peoples money for air travel in the knowledge they would not have enough staff to fly the planes ? They have advertised heavily to encourage us to” hold our honey’s hand “ abroad.
Why have airports themselves been taken by surprise by the number of passengers travel through them, and not geared up with security staff.Don’t they talk to Airlines?
I think we should all be well . . . . ED off with them all as we paid 8 billion pounds to them in furlough, to keep them afloat.
I say get stuffed travel industry and start collectively putting customers first, and allow them to enjoy the dreams you are meant to give them.
Personally I think that £8 billion pounds could have more or less sorted out our desperate housing crisis.

SingaporeClarets

Post by SingaporeClarets » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:45 pm

Fretters wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:40 pm
Who did you fly with? It looks like our issues are mainly Tui ones.
Singapore Airlines

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:28 pm

martin_p wrote:
Knew some did you?

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:30 pm

SouthLondonexile wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:06 pm
I blame the whole lot of them. Why would airlines take peoples money for air travel in the knowledge they would not have enough staff to fly the planes ? They have advertised heavily to encourage us to” hold our honey’s hand “ abroad.
Why have airports themselves been taken by surprise by the number of passengers travel through them, and not geared up with security staff.Don’t they talk to Airlines?
I think we should all be well . . . . ED off with them all as we paid 8 billion pounds to them in furlough, to keep them afloat.
I say get stuffed travel industry and start collectively putting customers first, and allow them to enjoy the dreams you are meant to give them.
Personally I think that £8 billion pounds could have more or less sorted out our desperate housing crisis.
Airlines have slways overbooked flights. Airports and airlines took the government money and have since behsved badly.

Flixtonclaret1
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by Flixtonclaret1 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:30 pm

Flew into T1 this afternoon with Jet2 - luggage carousel stopped for about 10 mins but all good - breezed through passport control in less than 5 mins.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 428 times
Has Liked: 365 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:17 pm

At a wedding in Spain at the minute. We flew from. Liverpool with no problems at all. Almost all the guest who came from Manchester had problems, especially T3, from check in, security and lack of staff to do the basics.

Hopefully they'll sort it by the end of the month.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:30 pm

ClaretDiver wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:42 pm
In addition to my post above, what company would invest money in training someone that might possibly fail security checks....smoke and mirrors from the government once again.....
I don’t know but clearly the government believe it’s a solution.

Just posted what I had read. Haven’t done a detailed analysis of it.

morpheus2
Been Liked: 750 times
Has Liked: 1827 times

Post by morpheus2 » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:54 pm

Had to pick a daughter up from T2 last night, plane landed at 23:23 - she didn't get off the plane til 00:37 though as there was nobody there to fit the airstairs for them to alight.
Finally got home to Barlick and there was an earthquake. Don't know if that's Manchester airport's fault though.

SmudgetheClaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by SmudgetheClaret » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:04 am

It’s a long shot but I’m assuming a lot of flights were booked and paid for before the huge hike in fuel prices which could result in big losses and with the rapid refund pledge it makes me ponder ??

ClaretDiver

Post by ClaretDiver » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:15 am

clarethomer wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:30 pm
I don’t know but clearly the government believe it’s a solution.

Just posted what I had read. Haven’t done a detailed analysis of it.
Sorry mate wasn’t questioning you just think the government are pulling the wool!

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:37 am

SmudgetheClaret wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:04 am
It’s a long shot but I’m assuming a lot of flights were booked and paid for before the huge hike in fuel prices which could result in big losses and with the rapid refund pledge it makes me ponder ??
I’d be surprised if airlines hadn’t hedged their fuel costs so for a while at least, they should have certainty of that cost.

We came through T3 at Manchester last weekend, check in seemed the main problem but whilst security was v busy we got through without too much problem. Airside tho was horrible………nowhere to sit, huge queues for anything- worse things happening elsewhere in the world tho so can’t complain.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:53 am

I'm not risking a foreign holiday until next year, a mate has just had a message that his families weekend flight has been cancelled, not worth the risk.

Carport
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:11 am

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:20 pm

We are booked to fly Singapore to MCR on Etihad via Abu Dhabi in Oct in economy. I’m now hearing reports that the seats are not great. I’m 6’5” so will try to get and pay for extra leg room seats if I can but do you have any experience SC of that airline? The alternative we’ve been offered at £100 more each is British Airways direct to LHR then shuttle. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks

SingaporeClarets

Post by SingaporeClarets » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm

Carport wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:11 am
We are booked to fly Singapore to MCR on Etihad via Abu Dhabi in Oct in economy. I’m now hearing reports that the seats are not great. I’m 6’5” so will try to get and pay for extra leg room seats if I can but do you have any experience SC of that airline? The alternative we’ve been offered at £100 more each is British Airways direct to LHR then shuttle. Would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks
I used to live in Abu Dhabi. Never had any issues with Etihad but for convenience prefer the direct SQ flight. With Etihad I think you can bid for a cheap upgrade to premium economy or business class which could be another option.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 780 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by Jamesy » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:46 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm
I used to live in Abu Dhabi. Never had any issues with Etihad but for convenience prefer the direct SQ flight. With Etihad I think you can bid for a cheap upgrade to premium economy or business class which could be another option.
Don’t they only offer Premium economy on A380 planes? Flew Business class with Etihad pre Covid to Australia and back via Abu Dhabi. Good business class offering and considerably cheaper than Emirates.

Carport
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:38 pm

SingaporeClarets wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:37 pm
I didn’t know you could ‘bid’. Also think you can bid to keep middle seat in economy free

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:33 pm

Strange that the countries we're travelling to all suffered the pandemic but have nowhere near the same problems.

Comes across as another Brexit issue hiding, once again, behind other convenient international issues.

Gaia
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Gaia » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm

Jet2 chief exec:

"Brexit has taken hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people out of the employment market and that undoubtedly is having an impact”

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:51 pm

Apparently 30% of staff prior to Covid were EU and most have left the industry

Bigbopper

Post by Bigbopper » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:10 pm

Gaia wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Jet2 chief exec:

"Brexit has taken hundreds of thousands, if not millions of people out of the employment market and that undoubtedly is having an impact”
Massive queues recently at Dublin Airport and Schiphol Airport amongst others.So Brexit must have some far reaching effects.
This user liked this post: Leepick21

ceborame
Been Liked: 88 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by ceborame » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:57 am

Flying out of Manchester terminal 1 this morning and it took around 20 minutes from walking in to the terminal to entering departure lounge, we arrived early and now we've a long wait before we board! 🫤

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:02 am

ceborame wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:57 am
Flying out of Manchester terminal 1 this morning and it took around 20 minutes from walking in to the terminal to entering departure lounge, we arrived early and now we've a long wait before we board! 🫤
I flew out of t2 on Monday morning and it took almost 2 hours to get through to the departure lounge. Security queue was already massive at 4am and there were just two out of 8 security checkpoints open.

Mondsley
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Mondsley » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:48 am

Flew to Croatia with Jet 2 from terminal 2 on 29 May returned 5 June.
Going out, flight delayed by 2 hours, 2 hours 30 to get through bag drop and security then 1 bar and 1 restaurant open with nowhere to sit. Just got a table in pub when they called our flight! Sat on plane for 2 hours whilst they loaded baggage and refuelled. Ended up leaving 4 hours late.
Coming back, flight delayed by 1 hour then a further hour due to Air Traffic issues. Landed at wrong terminal back in Manchester and waited for an hour for a transfer bus. Half an hour in the passport queue. Home at 3am instead of 1130.
All I can say is we got there and back, which many haven't.

Claretitus
Been Liked: 327 times
Has Liked: 199 times

Post by Claretitus » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:54 am

I’m at airport now. 07.45 flight to Dalaman Easy Jet. Queued up on car park for nearly an hour just to join the queue to drop bags off. It’s a joke. Now in another huge queue to even get near to the Security Hall. It’s a joke. We will be lucky to get a drink or anything at this rate after getting up at 1.30 to travel from Preston. Only easy bit so far was the journey down M6 and parking the car. It’s scandalous that they take your airport taxes and treat you like this. We both said if we’d have known it was this bad we wouldn’t have bothered.

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:22 am

After hearing all the horror stories its going to be a holiday at home this year for me. You don't need that sort of hassle at the start of your holiday and very likely similar chaos when you land back in the UK.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:32 am

Claretitus wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:54 am
I’m at airport now. 07.45 flight to Dalaman Easy Jet. Queued up on car park for nearly an hour just to join the queue to drop bags off. It’s a joke. Now in another huge queue to even get near to the Security Hall. It’s a joke. We will be lucky to get a drink or anything at this rate after getting up at 1.30 to travel from Preston. Only easy bit so far was the journey down M6 and parking the car. It’s scandalous that they take your airport taxes and treat you like this. We both said if we’d have known it was this bad we wouldn’t have bothered.
Christ almighty, have you not been reading the news.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:53 am

Took 1and a half hours at t2 just now, but over half an hour was because of a broken luggage belt at check in... Security keeps moving ok

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2316 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:05 am

Flew out of the Scillies last week.. Rode my bike the 2 miles up to the airport, and left it leaning on the fence..walked through door..threw my little rucksack onto the baggage trolley.. Grabbed a coffee, sat in the 2 minute safety briefing and in less than 5 mins was buckling in at the end of the runway.

Problem? What problem?

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:13 am

Claretitus wrote:
If only you knew beforehand.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:26 am

Claretitus wrote:
Had this chat with the mrs last night because we were about to book. We have 3 young children, one is struggling at the moment with her behaviour, it’s just not worth the hassle for us, it would totally ruin an expensive holiday. I get anxiety just thinking about it.

Jambounchained
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Jambounchained » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:14 am

Flying from T2 on Saturday - fully prepared for what awaits me.

I'm more worried about testing positive for COVID the night before, barmy that you still need a negative result to be allowed into the US.

eastcoastclaret
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by eastcoastclaret » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:40 am

Jambounchained wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:14 am
Flying from T2 on Saturday - fully prepared for what awaits me.

I'm more worried about testing positive for COVID the night before, barmy that you still need a negative result to be allowed into the US.
Flew out of Leeds 2 weeks ago, an hour to drop off bags and another hour in security line before we were taken out of the queue by Jet2 staff. They were going down the line calling flights an hour before departure time. By this time the queue was outside along the length of the terminal building. Had we remained in the queue, we wouldn't have got to security before departure.

No problems at all in Italy, apart from passport checks because of brexit which took maybe 40mins. Once landed back in Leeds, the security queue was no better a week later.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:51 am

Gaia wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:45 pm
Jet2 chief exec:

He also blamed work shy Brits who live off benefits and won't get off their arse.

Nowt to do with the minimum wage for unsociable hours in a stressful environment?

He's a prick.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:51 am
He also blamed work shy Brits who live off benefits and won't get off their arse.

Nowt to do with the minimum wage for unsociable hours in a stressful environment?

He's a prick.
But its a factor

Not the only one, but its a factor

People pretending that it isn't are just being silly (see cost of living thread as well)

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:54 am
But its a factor

Not the only one, but its a factor

People pretending that it isn't are just being silly (see cost of living thread as well)
I wonder why the company had to backtrack then?

Just out of interest, what hourly rate would you work at an airport for on the 4am shift?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:01 am

For those thinking of going I would cross Manchester Airport of the list and use Liverpool

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:12 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:59 am
I wonder why the company had to backtrack then?

Just out of interest, what hourly rate would you work at an airport for on the 4am shift?
Well, you are in luck, I used to work at a ferry port starting a 4 am back in the day

Wages wise, I did it because it paid more than doing a job during the day

So my answer would be as long as it was more than I got doing a similar job during the day

And again, you are essentially refusing to accept that Brexit is a factor, which isn't helping anyone as its done, and the key thing now is to sort out the problems it has caused

Antmass
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Antmass » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:17 am

I have just been to Portugal for 5 days. Got back weds.
So Ryanair T3. Manchester.
There was a bit of a delay with the bags on and off the plane going out and some people were trying to check in 5 hours before their flight which caused problems with excess people milling around the place, but definitely not as bad as expected.
The problem with flying is that it's already an irksome, laborious mission and any delays just magnify that.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:21 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:12 am
Well, you are in luck, I used to work at a ferry port starting a 4 am back in the day

Wages wise, I did it because it paid more than doing a job during the day

So my answer would be as long as it was more than I got doing a similar job during the day

And again, you are essentially refusing to accept that Brexit is a factor, which isn't helping anyone as its done, and the key thing now is to sort out the problems it has caused
I think you're getting mixed up.

I never mentioned Brexit, just pointing out why people wouldn't want to work at the airport.

If they put their wages up to a decent level then Brits will take up the jobs.