Mental Health Awareness Week - please get help if you need it

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32530 times
Has Liked: 5277 times

Mental Health Awareness Week - please get help if you need it

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 10, 2022 12:05 pm

It's Mental Health Awareness week which highlights a horrible problem that many of us suffer from.

If you are suffering, please get help, please speak to someone.

Aaron Lennon is offering to help - use him or any one else if you need it, the help really is there.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2606164
These 15 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Pearcey Bosscat AwayClaret gandhisflipflop Rowls wilks_bfc burnleybassman leelad SalouClaret ArmchairDetective mkmel Taffy on the wing LoveCurryPies Brucefanclaret

AwayClaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Mental Health Awareness Week - please get help if you need it

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 1:21 pm

This needs promoting, promoting and some more promotion. People need to be able to feel comfortable to come forward and seek help in this day and age. Nobody should have to suffer in silence anymore.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 10, 2022 1:27 pm

AwayClaret wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:21 pm
This needs promoting, promoting and some more promotion. People need to be able to feel comfortable to come forward and seek help in this day and age. Nobody should have to suffer in silence anymore.
Totally agree AwayClaret - it’s finding that strength to get the initial help that can be so difficult for so many
This user liked this post: AwayClaret

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5172 times

Post by Rowls » Tue May 10, 2022 1:31 pm

Please remember to look after your mental health. As well as the kind of help CT has posted in the OP, there is so much you can do to maintain good mental health through a healthy lifestyle:

Do not abuse drugs or alcohol
Eat a healthy, balanced diet
Minimize social media / screen time
Exercise & stay active
Get regular fresh air
Spend time with people who make you smile and care about you

If you manage to do all these things on a daily basis, you will massively reduce your chances of suffering from poor mental health.

Take care everybody & UTC

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 10, 2022 1:40 pm

It's a very damaging illness that can literally appear out of nowhere but for so many it haunts their every day. A living hell is often the result but it is not your fault. There are good people about who want to help you.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue May 10, 2022 1:49 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:40 pm
It's a very damaging illness that can literally appear out of nowhere but for so many it haunts their every day. A living hell is often the result but it is not your fault. There are good people about who want to help you.
It's rare for it to "appear out of nowhere". It's multiple times more likely to manifest in those who are not adhering to a healthy lifestyle. See my post above for some of the main risk factors.

It's not an exhaustive list but it's important to state that although depression and mental illness can happen to anybody, it is NOT indiscriminate.

If we perpetuate the myth of mental illness being indisciminate and "random" then people won't exercise the many things they can do to protect themselves suffering from poor mental health. It is multiple times more likely to be suffered by people with poor mental health lifestyles.

burnleybassman
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by burnleybassman » Tue May 10, 2022 1:55 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:05 pm
It's Mental Health Awareness week which highlights a horrible problem that many of us suffer from.

If you are suffering, please get help, please speak to someone.

Aaron Lennon is offering to help - use him or any one else if you need it, the help really is there.

https://www.premierleague.com/news/2606164
If anyone would like to donate to mental health, I recently released an album with all proceeds going to Mental Health UK. Head to www.LostCovers.com to have a listen and to donate to our cause. Many thanks.

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 1:57 pm

Hardest part is the first step. Obvious right? But there are not enough words to describe how actually difficult it is to get past that first step, realising you need help. There's also the "rut" to deal with at the same time too.

I've had it for over 30 years which is 75% of my lifetime. It took me 30 years to find the right ingredients to put in the right place. You have to want to do it which is another war you have to win. Nothing will fight it for you. Get past the first few steps, change your routine, retrain your brain with the things that make you happy IMPORTANT and another important point is if you start to feel that dark curtain coming down (people who suffer will understand that) push through it again and remember what makes you happy and smile.

It's a war inside your mind but people can defeat it and win the war. Just have to find the right ingredients. I don't know if you can pm on here or whatever but if anyone wants to chat privately then pm me or get in touch with Tony for my email address.

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 2:01 pm

Forgot to add I won the war. And barely suffer with it now. Do still have the odd hiccup but I force myself in to the good place again. Hey it's mental strength 😃
This user liked this post: Rowls

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2012 times
Has Liked: 2910 times

Post by elwaclaret » Tue May 10, 2022 2:04 pm

The most ridiculous part of having recovered from a mental breakdown brought on by advanced clinical depression is that I now suffer from severe bouts of procrastination; literally any task can grow into a monster on my shoulder because of it. One part of mental illness I have never seen much about; but I’m sure it devastates a lot of peoples return to ‘normality’.

Mental health generally has come on leaps and bounds in the years since I was shuffled around between ‘experts’ unable to help, thankfully I was able to plot my own path eventually, glad things have improved massively since.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 10, 2022 2:07 pm

As a few of you are aware, on the old forum I asked for help because I was really struggling at that time and I got it from Redbeard, we spoke on the phone and it really helped me to start climbing out of where I was.

I've struggled on and off for years, I've never really given much thought as to the root cause of it until I started a journey 3 years ago and now I think I know why I've struggled with depression for years.

Don't ever think there's no one to talk to about it, there's always someone, even if it's a stranger on the end of the phone whether it's someone from an internet forum or one of the official help lines.

Make whatever adjustments to your life you need to make yourself happy, don't feel like you're obliged to be/live with someone, to work somewhere or even to be friends with certain people, you're not.

I've just told one of my oldest friends that his life is just constant drama, that if it carries on I'll just stop talking to him because it's just emotionally draining and we've just spent 4mths not talking to each other and I didn't miss chatting with him at all.
We've been friends for 25yrs, but there comes a point when you've just got to step back and workout if certain friendships are worth holding onto.

I've gone through so much crap these last 4ish years but I'm out the other side and I'm genuinely quite happy and content right now, but I had to make some hard decisions to benefit myself and my well being.
Weirdly the Pandemic was quite good for me in regards to pushing through some of the changes I made to my life.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue May 10, 2022 2:08 pm

AwayClaret wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:01 pm
Forgot to add I won the war. And barely suffer with it now. Do still have the odd hiccup but I force myself in to the good place again. Hey it's mental strength 😃
Great to hear AwayClaret :D
These 2 users liked this post: AwayClaret elwaclaret

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 2:12 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:04 pm
The most ridiculous part of having recovered from a mental breakdown brought on by advanced clinical depression is that I now suffer from severe bouts of procrastination; literally any task can grow into a monster on my shoulder because of it. One part of mental illness I have never seen much about; but I’m sure it devastates a lot of peoples return to ‘normality’.

Mental health generally has come on leaps and bounds in the years since I was shuffled around between ‘experts’ unable to help, thankfully I was able to plot my own path eventually, glad things have improved massively since.
The help out there is getting better but when I tried to start getting help it was pretty much pointless and the "experts" just wanted to stick you on pills most of years time. Medication didn't work for me so had to do it myself BUT some people may need medication. Like I said above it's finding the right ingredients that suit you. EVERYONE is different.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 2:12 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:08 pm
Great to hear AwayClaret :D
Thanks Paul.

aclaretinstevenage
Been Liked: 302 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Post by aclaretinstevenage » Tue May 10, 2022 2:30 pm

Keep an eye on your kids and loved ones. We missed it in our eldest all through her teens until her suicide attempt at home here some 15 years or so ago. Literally shook us to the core. She hid it from us,from friends and from School. She is still with us thankfully and doing great but by F**k I hate my previous attitude towards Mental Health issues.

Please ask for help as soon as you can if you are suffering, there is help as per Aaron Lennon's message and fair play to him for it.

Carport
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 47 times

Post by Carport » Tue May 10, 2022 2:56 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:31 pm
Please remember to look after your mental health. As well as the kind of help CT has posted in the OP, there is so much you can do to maintain good mental health through a healthy lifestyle:

Do not abuse drugs or alcohol
Eat a healthy, balanced diet
Minimize social media / screen time
Exercise & stay active
Get regular fresh air
Spend time with people who make you smile and care about you

If you manage to do all these things on a daily basis, you will massively reduce your chances of suffering from poor mental health.

Take care everybody & UTC
All great advice. Would add

Create purpose in your life. What do you want to do today, tomorrow, this week,month,year? Could range from a mundane task today to something more ambitious and challenging long term.

I think one of the biggest hurdles though is knowing how to break out of the malaise that can engulf you in order to attend to the range of suggestions here

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Tue May 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Carport wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:56 pm
All great advice. Would add

Create purpose in your life. What do you want to do today, tomorrow, this week,month,year? Could range from a mundane task today to something more ambitious and challenging long term.

I think one of the biggest hurdles though is knowing how to break out of the malaise that can engulf you in order to attend to the range of suggestions here
I think that's excellent advice Carport.

There are a few other major factors that commonly trigger/cause mental health problems but they're often better dealt with as problems in their own right.

For example

Gambling problems/addicition
Debt problems
Relationship breakdown / splitting up / relationship problems / infidelity / divorce
Bereavement
Not enjoying you worklife / hating your job

All of these can and will cause mental health problems if left unresolved an unfortunately they're not all avoidable. We can't avoid bereavement, for example. We don't exercise complete control over all of life's events.

We can only do what we can, but it's important to focus on the things that we can take control of to give ourselves the best possible chance to enjoy better mental health. Sometimes the serenity prayer might be our best or only option but it's an option nontheless.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1695 times
Has Liked: 2534 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue May 10, 2022 3:32 pm

Rowls wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:49 pm
It's rare for it to "appear out of nowhere". It's multiple times more likely to manifest in those who are not adhering to a healthy lifestyle. See my post above for some of the main risk factors.

It's not an exhaustive list but it's important to state that although depression and mental illness can happen to anybody, it is NOT indiscriminate.

If we perpetuate the myth of mental illness being indisciminate and "random" then people won't exercise the many things they can do to protect themselves suffering from poor mental health. It is multiple times more likely to be suffered by people with poor mental health lifestyles.
I need to report back on this. I am very much aware of the perils and misery poor mentail health brings to bear. My reference to ' appear out of nowhere' was based on sudden shifts in mood overnight. Go to bed feeling okay and the following morning feeling your whole world is closing in on you. It can affect anyone , anytime and for those, like myself, who have encountered it on a daily basis for the last few years, it, at times, is a living hell whether you are isolated or surrounded by people. We are supposedly learning to live with covid; learning to live with this animal is physically and emotionally exhausting. Have a good day and a good next day, mate.

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 3:49 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:32 pm
I need to report back on this. I am very much aware of the perils and misery poor mentail health brings to bear. My reference to ' appear out of nowhere' was based on sudden shifts in mood overnight. Go to bed feeling okay and the following morning feeling your whole world is closing in on you. It can affect anyone , anytime and for those, like myself, who have encountered it on a daily basis for the last few years, it, at times, is a living hell whether you are isolated or surrounded by people. We are supposedly learning to live with covid; learning to live with this animal is physically and emotionally exhausting. Have a good day and a good next day, mate.
Many many times throughout my life I had no problems and bang from nowhere the curtains would shut and the darkness appeared which would gradually get worse. The expert and Doctors had no answer. Was weird. Its a chemical imbalance just hard to keep it balanced whether that's through medication or activities.

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 3:53 pm

That should be medication AND/OR activities.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue May 10, 2022 4:12 pm

AwayClaret wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:01 pm
Brilliant to hear someone has come through the other side. I always think I'm almost there but I do have the odd hiccup but nothing like the events of just over twenty years now that all but destroyed me.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4842 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue May 10, 2022 4:19 pm

I can only echo what has been said above. Sometimes it’s very hard to admit that you need help. I’m not one for shouting it from the rooftops, but I’ve been seeing a counsellor for over a year now. Very hard to put my finger on exactly why I feel as I do, but I guess that’s why I’ve entered into the process. What I can say, is that it has helped me immensely: I’m learning a lot about myself, my family, the people closest to me, my career and just generally how I go about living my life . I actually have a session this evening, so there we are! If anyone ever needs to talk 👍🏻

AwayClaret

Post by AwayClaret » Tue May 10, 2022 4:36 pm

Tony I don't think it's possible for it to ever go away completely but once someone finds what works for them then naturally they will learn to be able to overcome the odd hiccup easier. It's basically just like putting a strategy and plan in place. The hardest part is getting to that stage. It's so difficult. I was put on so many different medications and had many meaningless conversations with "experts" nothing worked in fact one medication I was taking I had to stop after a few weeks as it made me have really bad suicidal thoughts and totally changed my character. That's when I knew I had to find a different path. I am not saying medication/counseling arent effective by the way.

There is no easy answer and what works for one person won't necessarily work for someone else. It's a war inside the mind that can be defeated. Stay strong.

Gaia
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Gaia » Tue May 10, 2022 5:20 pm

I recommend a really good free app on Google play called insight timer. There's free mindfulness, yoga, tai chi and qi gong training sessions and there some hypnotherapy recordings too.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2340 times
Has Liked: 1405 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Tue May 10, 2022 6:07 pm

I have struggled with mental health from the age of 15 (I am 32 this month) I have had CBT, mental breakdowns, struggled a few years ago with excessive drinking etc...

I took the step of removing myself from social media as my brain felt full if you will, and I haven’t had any temptation to go back on it. When someone invites me for a day/night out, my instant thought is the hangover/bouts of depression which is enough to put me off. I have a bottle of wine a weekend infront of the telly, have a supportive partner and a beautiful daughter who makes me the happiest man alive. I still get big bouts of depression, but again it’s learning to live with it and deal with it better.
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 657 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue May 10, 2022 7:36 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 3:32 pm
I can relate to this 100%. Suffered on and off for 20+ years. Going to bed fine and dandy. Waking up 8 hours later anxious, worrying and not wanting to get up. Gets worse when there are a few things stressing me. Not drinking defo helps. So so frustrating

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1142 times
Has Liked: 292 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed May 11, 2022 10:27 am

I wish everyone all the best on this journey, which is ultimately what it is.

There’ll be bumps in the road, and all we can try and do is smooth them out as best as we can.

On a personal note, I need to do more to take care of myself. In between work and having two young kids, I have very little time for me, if any.

As an officer, I deal with more mental health calls than crime related ones, which really tells you where we are at. Lockdown certainly didn’t help either.

Should anyone on this message board ever need anything, then I am more than happy to speak privately to try and help.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1489 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 am

Football related stress is my issue
Chelsea turn up and hammer Leeds and we get a win at Spurs and it helps
We are moving house and that is also in our stress related mix
However, non of these compares to full on depression when every day is shite no matter how hard you try to change your mood

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed May 11, 2022 11:21 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 10:32 am
However, non of these compares to full on depression when every day is shite no matter how hard you try to change your mood
Agreed on how difficult it is to 'change your mood'.

I've found it much better to simply acknowledge bad moods and ride them out while keeping them in check. Once you've acknowledged them you've got an understanding for what they are and that can give you a sense of perspective. If you fight against the mood you're likely to lose. If you acknowledge the mood and concentrate on your response to it (not snapping at people etc) you've got much more achievable goals.

For me at least, trying to 'change my mood' out of willpower is ridiculously hard work. The way out of it in the longterm is to change your surroundings and your lifestyle. This isn't easy either but unlike simply changing your mood, lifestyle changes are easy to maintain once you've succeeded with them.

You can easily test how a lifestyle change can dramatically improve your mental health: If you can take a bit of time on a day off and head into the countryside for a walk (or do something else you know will make you happy) you can reassure yourself that there is a direct correlation between your surrounding & situation and your mood. It will demonstrate it is not a case of your brain "going wrong" but instead a perfectly sane emotional response to your situation.

Modern life leads us down paths that are often dreadful for our mental health:

Social media
Couped up in front of screens all day
Cooped up lacking sunlight
Cheap fast food and takeaways instead of proper meals
etc etc.

Gaia
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by Gaia » Wed May 11, 2022 12:53 pm

Looks like you are doing your own CBT there Rowls, changing your behaviours which in turn affects feelings in a positive way.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:39 pm

Just to bump this as it's Men's Mental Health Awareness Month.

Had a really weirdly low week or so myself, drank to excess and felt overall a little hopeless.

Pulling myself out of it by going to the gym and doing healthier things, but, the thoughts can linger.

Do reach out to people if you're feeling like you need to.

UTC.

Peace.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 350 times
Has Liked: 472 times

Post by COBBLE » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:22 pm

Good luck everyone. I would ask that we remember friends and family that get involved too, feeling shocked and helpless. The best stay and help without judging, at a cost to them too. Heroes.

longside72
Been Liked: 184 times
Has Liked: 224 times

Post by longside72 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:38 pm

Group set up by local lads , Casual Minds Matter
casualmindsmatter.com
Meet every monday 7- 9 pm at St Catherines Community Centre , Mary St . Burnley.
This user liked this post: ClaretAndJew

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2819 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:39 pm

longside72 wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:38 pm
Group set up by local lads , Casual Minds Matter
casualmindsmatter.com
Meet every monday 7- 9 pm at St Catherines Community Centre , Mary St . Burnley.
That's great to hear and hope it is used!

Dawlishclaret
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 502 times

Post by Dawlishclaret » Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:47 pm

I would just like to echo all the helpful comments above. The hardest part can be actually reaching out to someone you know and trust .....an alternative is to phone 116123 and speak to the Samaritans (the service is free of charge and doesn't appear on any phone bills). You don't have to be feeling suicidal to phone us and we are here 24/7, 365 days a year. We can also be contacted by email jo@samaritans.org plus other ways of contacting us and getting help are available if you look on our website. I would particularly recommend the Samaritans Self Help App.

longside72

Post by longside72 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:31 pm

Dawlishclaret could you send me your email addres or a contact email address , thanks.

Dawlishclaret
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 502 times

Post by Dawlishclaret » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Hi longside, if it is support you are needing I would rather you went through the Samaritans site. If you just want to find out more the services available then I am happy to help - though I am not sure how I actually can contact you.

Smile
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by Smile » Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:38 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:07 pm
As a few of you are aware, on the old forum I asked for help because I was really struggling at that time and I got it from Redbeard, we spoke on the phone and it really helped me to start climbing out of where I was.

I've struggled on and off for years, I've never really given much thought as to the root cause of it until I started a journey 3 years ago and now I think I know why I've struggled with depression for years.

Don't ever think there's no one to talk to about it, there's always someone, even if it's a stranger on the end of the phone whether it's someone from an internet forum or one of the official help lines.

Make whatever adjustments to your life you need to make yourself happy, don't feel like you're obliged to be/live with someone, to work somewhere or even to be friends with certain people, you're not.

I've just told one of my oldest friends that his life is just constant drama, that if it carries on I'll just stop talking to him because it's just emotionally draining and we've just spent 4mths not talking to each other and I didn't miss chatting with him at all.
We've been friends for 25yrs, but there comes a point when you've just got to step back and workout if certain friendships are worth holding onto.

I've gone through so much crap these last 4ish years but I'm out the other side and I'm genuinely quite happy and content right now, but I had to make some hard decisions to benefit myself and my well being.
Weirdly the Pandemic was quite good for me in regards to pushing through some of the changes I made to my life.
I've just read through the entire thread. Please do not listen/read to anything they say. I think it's the worst that anyone could shout.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:06 pm

Although I agree with many of the comments/views previous posters
have made re/ talking and what you can do to help yourself there's a major problem
that still exists within the NHS re. mental health.

So if you've been fortunate to have been diagnosed with whatever
it maybe (which in itself isn't easy or straight forward) then it could be weeks
if not many months before you actually get any professional help.
There simply aren't enough mental health nurses and consultants and/or beds
or resources available to treat those with mental health problems.
hence the base line suggestion which is 'to talk' to someone about it.
Again for many, not in itself very easy or straight forward.

It's the follow up that concerns me.
We need to put pressure on the government to improve resources.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:36 pm

Smile wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:38 pm
I've just read through the entire thread. Please do not listen/read to anything they say. I think it's the worst that anyone could shout.
Sorry but what are you saying and is it about me?

Thomasyoung

Post by Thomasyoung » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:03 am

If it presented itself as a problem this forum would be the last call of sanctuary from my observations so far it’d only add to any mental health problem woes.

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:43 am

Rowls wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:21 am
Agreed on how difficult it is to 'change your mood'.

I've found it much better to simply acknowledge bad moods and ride them out while keeping them in check. Once you've acknowledged them you've got an understanding for what they are and that can give you a sense of perspective. If you fight against the mood you're likely to lose. If you acknowledge the mood and concentrate on your response to it (not snapping at people etc) you've got much more achievable goals.

For me at least, trying to 'change my mood' out of willpower is ridiculously hard work. The way out of it in the longterm is to change your surroundings and your lifestyle. This isn't easy either but unlike simply changing your mood, lifestyle changes are easy to maintain once you've succeeded with them.

You can easily test how a lifestyle change can dramatically improve your mental health: If you can take a bit of time on a day off and head into the countryside for a walk (or do something else you know will make you happy) you can reassure yourself that there is a direct correlation between your surrounding & situation and your mood. It will demonstrate it is not a case of your brain "going wrong" but instead a perfectly sane emotional response to your situation.

Modern life leads us down paths that are often dreadful for our mental health:

Social media
Couped up in front of screens all day
Cooped up lacking sunlight
Cheap fast food and takeaways instead of proper meals
etc etc.
https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

I wrote & then deleted my own experience with a nervous breakdown at 28...mine came 'out of the Blue'... (it's amazing what the brain can block away)... but this song
always resonated with me.https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3190 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:44 am

I deleted more than i'd meant to......enjoy the song.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:02 am

Interesting article that seemingly shatters a theory that had become dogma in the recent past:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/0 ... 0concluded.

Behind a paywall sadly.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:10 am

article wrote:Depression is not a chemical imbalance in the brain and scientists have no idea how antidepressants work, a review by University College London has concluded.

Although one in six adults in England are currently prescribed antidepressants – most of which act by maintaining serotonin levels – the new analysis suggests depression is not actually caused by low levels of serotonin.

Instead, depression may be more strongly equated with negative life events which lower mood, the review found.

Since the 1990s, antidepressant use has grown alongside the theory that the drugs establish correct levels of chemicals in the brain but researchers say that is unfounded.

“I think we can safely say that after a vast amount of research conducted over several decades, there is no convincing evidence that depression is caused by serotonin abnormalities, particularly by lower levels or reduced activity of serotonin,” said lead author Joanna Moncrieff, a professor of psychiatry at UCL.

“Many people take antidepressants because they have been led to believe their depression has a biochemical cause, but this research suggests this belief is not grounded in evidence.”

Important for mood and sleep
Most antidepressants are selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors (SSRIs) which prevent the loss of a chemical that carries messages between nerve cells in the brain, and is important for mood and sleep.

For the new review, researchers looked again at studies into serotonin and depression and found no difference in levels between thousands of people diagnosed with the condition and healthy control participants.

The authors also looked at studies where serotonin levels were artificially lowered in hundreds of people by depriving their diets of the amino acid required to make serotonin, and found that it did not make them depressed.

People with variations in the gene governing the transportation of serotonin also showed no difference in depression levels.

In contrast, stressful life events were found to exert a strong effect on people’s risk of becoming depressed – the more stressful life events a person had experienced, the more likely they were to be depressed.

The researchers say their findings are important as studies show that as many as 85 to 90 per cent of the public believes that depression is caused by low serotonin or a chemical imbalance.

There is also evidence that believing that low mood is caused by a chemical imbalance leads people to have a pessimistic outlook on the likelihood of recovery, and the possibility of managing moods without medical help.

Co-author Dr Mark Horowitz, a training psychiatrist and clinical research fellow in psychiatry at UCL said: “I had been taught that depression was caused by low serotonin in my psychiatry training and had even taught this to students in my own lectures.

“Being involved in this research was eye-opening and feels like everything I thought I knew has been flipped upside down.

“One interesting aspect in the studies we examined was how strong an effect adverse life events played in depression, suggesting low mood is a response to people’s lives and cannot be boiled down to a simple chemical equation.”

A different route
The researchers say that patients should not be told depression is caused by a chemical imbalance, or informed that the SSRIs can correct the problem. Although it is clear the antidepressants can work, they must be doing so through a different route, the paper concludes.

Commenting on the research, experts warned people against stopping their medication.

The Royal College of Psychiatrists said: “Antidepressants will vary in effectiveness for different people, and the reasons for this are complex, which is why it’s important that patient care is based on each individual’s needs and reviewed regularly.

“Continued research into treatments for depression is important to help us better understand how medications work as well as their effectiveness. Medication should be available for anyone who needs it.

"We would not recommend for anyone to stop taking their antidepressants based on this review, and encourage anyone with concerns about their medication to contact their GP.”

Prof Allan Young, director at the Centre for Affective Disorders at King’s College London, said: “The elephant in the room is the good evidence of the efficacy and acceptability of serotonergic antidepressants.

“The use of these medicines is based on clinical trial evidence which informs their use for patients. This review does not change that.”

The review was published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry.

Depression should not be tackled as if it is a single disorder
Dr Michael Bloomfield, consultant psychiatrist at University College London

Up to one in seven of us will experience depression during our lives. Different people experience different symptoms of depression. While many people experience a mild episode, depression remains a leading global cause of morbidity. Sadly, depression can be potentially life-threatening for some due to an increased risk of suicide. Existing treatments, including several types of antidepressant medicines and psychotherapies (talking therapies), are effective, safe, and not addictive. However, beneficial treatment effects can take weeks to build up and each treatment does not work for everyone. It is therefore essential that we can understand what happens in our brains when we experience depression so that treatments can be improved and targeted.

In the middle of the 20th century, the theory that depression was caused by a chemical imbalance in serotonin represented a really important step forward in the history of medicine. Since then there’s been a huge of amount of research which tells us that the brain’s serotonin system plays very important roles in how our brains process emotions. As depression involves changes in how our brains process emotions, changes in the serotonin system are likely to be important in the development and/or treatment of depression.

The findings from this review are not surprising. Depression has numerous symptom patterns such that two people with depression can have seemingly opposite types of symptoms. For example, some sleep more when they are depressed while others suffer from insomnia. As such, having met scientists and psychiatrists from all over the world, I have yet to meet a colleague who thinks that all cases of depression are caused by a simple “chemical imbalance” in serotonin. Indeed, the serotonin system is complex. What remains likely is that changes in the serotonin system are contributing to certain symptoms in certain people. The challenge with this review is that it isn’t able to address this point because it has grouped together depression as if it is a single disorder which, from a biological perspective, does not make sense.

There is consistent evidence that antidepressant medicines can be helpful in the treatment of depression and even life-saving. This latest paper does not change this. Patients must have access to treatments for depression. Many of us know that taking paracetamol can be helpful for headaches and no one believes that headaches are caused by not enough paracetamol in the brain. The same logic applies to depression and medicines used in its treatment. All medicines can have side-effects and suddenly stopping any treatment can be potentially harmful. Anyone taking a medicine for depression who is thinking of stopping treatment should discuss this with their doctor first.

COBBLE

Post by COBBLE » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:42 am

Thanks for sharing the above. Its evolutionary and helpful. A prescription alone, will not resolve every case of depression.

Best wishes, as always to the people who contribute to the mental health.

COBBLE

Post by COBBLE » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:51 am

................Best wishes to those who contribute to the mental health discussions on this board.

longside72

Post by longside72 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:55 am

Local group set up by local lads

casualmindsmatter.com
This user liked this post: Claret Till I Die

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:13 pm

Yes, take care everybody and look after yourselves.

UTC

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:23 pm

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1 ... jD9cw&s=19

UFC fighter Paddy Pimblett has something to say