60 min matches

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

60 min matches

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Mon May 16, 2022 1:33 am

Now when I first heard about this changing of the game to 60 minute matches instead of 90 I thought it was silly. But after the Villa game and Spurs today (we are also guilty of it for long time) the amount of time wasting is becoming an absolute joke. Teams that are better than us wasting so much time, players feigning any knock, the constant falling down and then claiming cramp.

I am actually after the recent games starting to see the reasoning behind it, clock stops as soon as play is stopped. Its as if top managers are telling their players to play as little as possible and just eat up the clock. To be truthful I am becoming very disillusioned with how the game is going, as if managers dont actually want much football played and as long as they win they dont care how, and personally starting to make the game very unwatchable.

Like I said I know we have been bad for Pope time wasting akin to Ben Foster but we have to find the little edges, teams we are playing who are far superior to us doing it is absolutely ridiculous. I mean when Villa were doing it whilst coasting was a head scratcher, they looked like they would score everytime they attacked but would rather waste time by goalkeeper hogging the ball and play acting by the likes of Konsa

Opinions?

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Re: 60 min matches

Post by dsr » Mon May 16, 2022 1:55 am

Easy enough to stop. If a team isn't taking a dead ball situation expeditiously (a good word often used in america, it means if they aren't getting on with it) then the decision goes the other way. So when the keeper takes 40 seconds for a goal kick, it becomes a corner. When it's a throw in and no-one goes towards the ball, it 's a throw-in the other way. And of course when the keeper holds on to the ball and won't put it down, it's an indirect free kick like it is now - which shows where the problem is. Referees, for whatver reason. won't enforce it.

Refs ought to be told to enforce it freely, with no penalty other than the reversed decision. no need to book anyone, the reversal is enough.

As for substitutions, once the board goes up, the subbed player has 15 seconds to go off in any direction he chooses. If he isn't off in 15 seconds, he still has to leave the field, but his replacement can't come on until the next break in play. Tough on those that are injured, but as the vast majority of injuries are cheating fakes, the players have made that particular rod for their own backs.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Mon May 16, 2022 2:34 am

Just things to overcome in a game, and things we ought to (and do in the circumstances) use to our advantage. I see no need for yet further officiation. I've said this on here before, I think whenever any change/new rule is suggested we ought to ask ourselves, 'is this still football?' To-the-second clock-stopping at goal kicks and throw-ins and free kicks and substitutions and such is not football. We've got 90 minutes to get $hit done, and sure, there are going to be things that get in the way of that, but there are also things that we can do to get in the way of the opposition getting their $hit done within those 90 minutes, too.

We don't need to-the-second timekeeping because both teams are playing the exact same 90+ minutes. There's no comparative advantage. Any perceived advantage or disadvantage is purely situational and not at all dependant on the allotted time given to play out a match. Do teams attempt to run out the clock? Sure they do. But one point of time wasting is to kill opposition momentum. Even with to-the-second timekeeping teams could still slow down the game. They'd just stretch 90 minutes out to two hours+. All those seconds and minutes 'added' by stopping the clock could still be used to further kill the game if it was so the desire of the team intent on slowing down the game. If we pause the clock at a goal kick then one would assume the keeper has more time to fart about, right? Time wasting has been 'eliminated' by pausing play, so keepers can take a minute to more to 'precisely' place the ball in their six-yard box for a goal kick without infringement? You can't card the keeper for time-wasting when the clock is stopped, right? So if it's to their advantage the keeper can take as long as they like, during which time the manager could pass on instruction, or players could have a drink break or a little team huddle etc. Recipe for boredom if you ask me. And if it becomes that in this scenario the referee should have the power to force the keeper (for instance) to get a move on, then I would point out that this power already exists in referees.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon May 16, 2022 4:57 am

It’s called game management. You can put things in place to stop time wasting. Recent inclusions are 30 secs added on for subs and the disappearing spray for free kicks.

Sometimes it’s not time wasting, it’s about killing the momentum.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 16, 2022 9:54 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:57 am
It’s called game management. You can put things in place to stop time wasting. Recent inclusions are 30 secs added on for subs and the disappearing spray for free kicks.

Sometimes it’s not time wasting, it’s about killing the momentum.
Then the ref chooses whether to implement the time!

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon May 16, 2022 11:14 am

Time wasting is perhaps the most frustrating aspect of the modern game, especially, of course, if you are on the receiving end of it. It's insidious in nature and has been allowed to fester to the point where it is now out of control. Another nail in the coffin of the beautiful game.
The back pass was outlawed to try and prevent it but in essence it hasn't really worked. There are just so many opportunities now to 'run the clock down' many of which have been alluded to. Other than goalies hanging on to the ball for huge amounts of the game there are throw-ins, free kicks and especially penalties ( they are the ones from 12 yards out)that are like an event taking up an interminable amount of time. No quick free kicks anymore or quick corners; referees have put an end to that talking to players in the penalty box( anyone know what he might be saying?).
It's laughable to think that turning up for a football match sees spectators viewing more non-action than action but the stats tell us that is the case.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon May 16, 2022 11:17 am

Real Madrid are the best I've seen at this. That semi final with City, once they went in front in extra time, I doubt the ball was in play for more than 5 minutes of the 25 remaining. It's certainly a skill set of its own, but not sure it's really a sport.

claretabroad
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by claretabroad » Mon May 16, 2022 11:18 am

If they mess around with how to measure time during a game then breaks in the middle of the half for tv adverts will follow. I cannot support this.

I like the idea of reversing decisions. I think that's a creative solution.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon May 16, 2022 11:22 am

Why can't they just leave the game alone and stop tinkering with all these stupid rule changes

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Mon May 16, 2022 11:24 am

Oops sorry just realised this thread is about getting them to tinker with the game and add stupid new rules. Can someone let me know when we are back to moaning about rule changes and I'll repost my original comment?

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Mon May 16, 2022 11:29 am

Pop a stretcher on all four sides of the pitch. As soon as a player hits the deck, starts rolling around / slapping the floor /banging their feet, this is a sign of clearly a serious injury. Nearest stretcher comes on immediately and removes them from the pitch for treatment. Game continues straight away. I'd be happy with just something like that because the amount of miraculous recoveries we see every week, after a fair bit of time wasting, is incredibly frustrating.
This user liked this post: ClaretMov

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon May 16, 2022 11:43 am

Just need someone who knows how to operate a stopwatch.

RMutt
Been Liked: 373 times
Has Liked: 88 times

Post by RMutt » Mon May 16, 2022 11:56 am

What happened to ball boys/girls? They can help speed things up by quickly throwing the ball back to players.
We often see the ball go out for a goal kick by the corner flag with a defender in close proximity who then wanders off ignoring the ball and let’s the goalkeeper retrieve it.
What could happen is the ball boy/girl throws it to the keeper who has a set amount of time, ( to be agreed upon) once it’s in his hands, to take the kick or he gets booked.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon May 16, 2022 4:25 pm

Ball boys are still there, however they are obviously instructed when to give the ball to the opposing players depending on the current state of the match. It's called home advantage.

A way to stop injury feigning is to allow players to receive treatment on the field, making them inactive during play.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 4:25 pm
Ball boys are still there, however they are obviously instructed when to give the ball to the opposing players depending on the current state of the match. It's called home advantage.

A way to stop injury feigning is to allow players to receive treatment on the field, making them inactive during play.
When you say "inactive", do you mean they'll put a fence round the treatment area? Because (in spite of rumours to the contrary) they do stop play in rugby as soon as there is any chance the ball is going near. In football, the movement of the ball is much less predictable.