Jake Daniels of Blackpool FC

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Re: Jake Daniels of Blackpool FC

Post by jedi_master » Mon May 16, 2022 9:44 pm

If anyone need wonder why this young man is the first player in 30 years to publically come out, they need look no further than the views of this poster.

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Mon May 16, 2022 9:45 pm

Well that was an interesting thread to read.
1. I expect that tomorrow's newspapers will make intriguing reading tomorrow. I have a feeling that one or two will go hopelessly over the top in the same way that we had meghan markle being "of mixed race" was. It shouldn't matter. Only when none of us care one way or the other or just don't notice will it not matter.
2. Thank you Jake Daniels. I really hope that you don't get labelled from now on as somebody mentioned above. I think that we can probably predict which newspapers might do that, though.
3. Yes, there is a bi-sexual player in the Premier league.
4. There is a very openly gay guy that posts on the Newcastle forum that I read, but I've never seen posts giving him any crap as a result. Would we manage that on this site? We always seem to have the odd neanderthal on here - not always the same one.
5. I think Mr. coolClaret has me down as gay. I seem to fit all his tell tale signs, apart from not being a hairdresser, and gosh, I even live close to Brighton. I was the only one on the "which sportsperson would you most like to go out for a beer with" of 35 respondents to pick a female, and no, she doesn't look like Barbie.
6. All in all though, the thread has been quite assuring and shows respect to Daniels. The world is moving forward. Even cool clarets comments have not been at all vitriolic. He represents the views of quite a number of my clients, I would say.
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 Zlatan

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Re: Being Gay

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 16, 2022 9:46 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:52 pm
Because everyone’s sexuality is their own business, no one else’s. This modern liberal openness where everything has to be proclaimed is very alien to Burnley. We may be liberally minded but we still don’t air our washing in the street.
I think you're missing the point about "coming out" here. Heterosexuals don't need to do that because the default view is that's what someone is.

"Air our washing"? What kind of a phrase is that? I guess you never kissed anyone in public then?
This user liked this post: Milltown1882

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 pm

My best wishes to Mr Daniels. I johore he has a long football career, free of anything but normal football abuse.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Re: Being Gay

Post by elwaclaret » Mon May 16, 2022 10:04 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 9:46 pm
I think you're missing the point about "coming out" here. Heterosexuals don't need to do that because the default view is that's what someone is.

"Air our washing"? What kind of a phrase is that? I guess you never kissed anyone in public then?
I think you miss my inference. I was saying Burnley people tend to remain, on the whole private. I would have no wish to know someone else’s sexuality or to disclose mine. That is what I mean by the old Lancashire phrase. Why should I care about anyone else’s sexual preference? Why should anyone care about mine?

… and yes I’ve kissed both sexes in public; but like you those around me neither new the relationship nor the motivation and those around me quite rightly did not care.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon May 16, 2022 10:39 pm

Really pleased to hear this. If this helps him and hopefully others, to be themselves and live life in the way they want, then that’s brilliant.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue May 17, 2022 7:21 am

some disgraceful comments on here in the year 2022. hopefully the strength shown by this young lad gives others the strength to come out and be who they want to be.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Tue May 17, 2022 8:24 am

Jake Daniels has bags of courage. If I was gay, I wouldn't lie if anyone asked, however, I would not be so forthcoming if I was the first professional footballer to come out in over 30 years. Not because of my teammates or club - it would be having to deal with some of the worst aspects of the gutter press, knuckle-draggers and online trolls.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue May 17, 2022 1:25 pm

Either the mods have removed a load of hateful stuff, or this thread has been much more uplifting that I could have imagined.

I don't think that CoolClaret is talking with any malice, even if being, in my view inadvertently, homophobic in their views. Lack of understanding is not the same as being hateful. Hopefully they will reread a few of the posts on here, especially Spiral's fantastic insightful comment, and perhaps change their views a little. Baby steps and all that.

Anyway, well done to Jake Daniels. It's not before time. I hope the floodgates will now open and all the pros who felt that they wanted to come out but didn't want to go first, can now take the confidence to do so.

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:17 pm

Its good to see that in a thread of this subject that offending Christians by blaspheming the name of Jesus is alive and well. Always good to have a 'back up' plan to cause offence when its no longer gay people in the firing line.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm

claret59 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:17 pm
Its good to see that in a thread of this subject that offending Christians by blaspheming the name of Jesus is alive and well. Always good to have a 'back up' plan to cause offence when its no longer gay people in the firing line.
Gay people are in the firing line precisely because of Christianity though...
This user liked this post: AwayClaret

Bigbopper
Been Liked: 91 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Bigbopper » Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:19 pm
Gay people are in the firing line precisely because of Christianity though...
A bit of a far reaching statement there and obviously nonsense. Plus you seem to have left out a far worse religion when it comes to persecution of homosexuals.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue May 17, 2022 2:36 pm

Bigbopper wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm
A bit of a far reaching statement there and obviously nonsense. Plus you seem to have left out a far worse religion when it comes to persecution of homosexuals.
Not really nonsense though, let's be honest.
2k years of society being told by Christianity that homosexuality is bad and you'll be punished in eternity for it after you've died, either by their hands or natural causes...the hypocrisy is even worse when you realise the Catholic church has been aware of the predators amongst it's clergy for over 1k years.

Islam took its lead from Christianity if you're really desperate to involve them.

That's a chat for another place though.

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue May 17, 2022 2:58 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:46 pm
I’ll hand on heart say that I know next to no males that are gay that aren’t at least a little bit ‘more eccentric’.

I know btw that not very gay man is ‘camp’ or whatever, I just don’t know of hardly any.

I’m not being obtuse or anything I’m here to learn
Maybe the gay people you don't notice don't enlighten you about their sexuality because they already know how you think?
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed May 18, 2022 7:37 am

Bigbopper wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 2:33 pm
Most churches do teach that sex should only happen within marriage, which the Church defines as being between a man and a woman.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 am

I see Daniels team mate, Marvin Ekpiteta, has apologised and deleted historic homophobic tweets made when he was 17. He’s saying it was wrong and he’s changed since then. Presumably that will be no defence and he’ll get the same ban Andre Gray got.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 am

martin_p wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 9:27 am
I see Daniels team mate, Marvin Ekpiteta, has apologised and deleted historic homophobic tweets made when he was 17. He’s saying it was wrong and he’s changed since then. Presumably that will be no defence and he’ll get the same ban Andre Gray got.
Seen this news story, yes it's not ideal is it, possibly he has changed as those tweets were nearly 10 years ago, however if consistency is too be applied then he should get a 4 game ban, I think that's what Andre was given for the same offence.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:42 am

Zander Murray has become the first openly gay senior male footballer to come out in Scotland in over 30 years. I hope he finds love and understanding and empowers others to be their true authentic selves. There is an interesting contrast with the women's game where acceptance and being open with your identity is the norm.

https://tinyurl.com/45x9wmms