Analysis

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Analysis

Post by NRC » Mon May 16, 2022 8:17 pm

Only one team moves the ball faster than us - villa. But they do it less direct, meaning it’s typically a three-pass sequence, not a one pass. This means they’re more accurately finding players, playing on the break. Taking the Spurs game out of the equation, where we changed formation. Match that to us making slow starts under Jackson. Villa took the lead in the seventh minute last weekend and Watford scored in the eighth minute. Southampton and Wolves both missed good early chances before that.

Our possession in our own is riskier under Jackson. Again, not I clouding Spurs, opposition turnovers in our own third have increased from 3.4 to 4.4 and our pressed sequences against have gone up from 13.4 to 14.2. So against a hard-pressing team like villa, the numbers suggest cause for concern, especially in the opening quarter. I think these stats are somewhat proven in our home game against them, so why do we think it would improve at theirs?

This does suggest go as we did against Spurs, with three at the back, which addresses the poor openings as well as closes space between the central defenders.

At the same time our goal probability has increased and to concede, decreased, while we now build more effectively with longer, meaningful passing sequences rather than meaningless punts. That said, while we possess the most incomplete long passes in the PL we also possess the most completed too….. we, err……. Pass long and direct. For villa there might still be merit in this as villa top the most ground duels won stats. The one tactical alternate to that is down the right with McNeil. His Carrie’s have in reads 25% under Jackson, while collecting the ball deeper, carrying it into final third positions, hopefully ending with an accurate pass…

Just sayin….. I’m bored 🧐

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Re: Analysis

Post by Milltown1882 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:20 pm

They move the ball in between centre halves and full backs well, and quickly. Part of me thinks that Lowton and Roberts duo on the right was more for Thursday than Sunday.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 16, 2022 8:25 pm

We’ve started slowly in each of the last five games. First quarter of an hour at Spurs was frightening.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon May 16, 2022 8:27 pm

Took us about three quarters of the game to wake up at Watford.
Wouldn't mind the same result, though....

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 16, 2022 8:34 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:27 pm
Took us about three quarters of the game to wake up at Watford.
Wouldn't mind the same result, though....
Struggled to wake up in the two games when we’ve fallen behind

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Mon May 16, 2022 8:41 pm

I just read my OP back - I've just learned to read it through before posting - too late to edit now. Hope you can follow my casualness with the keyboard

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue May 17, 2022 7:01 am

I think the slow start in the last 5 games is down to nerves and pressure. every game has been a cup final, and they are only human, and it means as much to the players as it does to the fans, as can be seen in the reactions on the pitch to every good save, tackle, and goal.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue May 17, 2022 7:17 am

Could our poor starts be more down to the opposition being told to get into us early as we will be nervous? Get to 0-0 at HT and pick it up second half has long been my preferred way for us to force a result.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Tue May 17, 2022 8:17 am

Yes I too think there’s a lot of nerves in our play, until we get into the game. The Leeds result won’t have helped but if they can take on the belief in themselves that was so evident in the Dyche regime then we’ve a good chance. Mike Jackson continues with that and encouraged them to play. Here’s hoping.