Ableton - advice for a novice

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Ableton - advice for a novice

Post by DCWat » Wed May 18, 2022 1:04 pm

I’ve fancied dabbling with a DAW for a while - not with any illusions of turning into an amazing produced - more for a bit of a new hobby / interest.

After a bit of research, I’ve ordered a reasonably powerful laptop with plenty of Processing power / storage and on arrival I’ll be downloading Ableton Live 11 Standard (thought it best to hold fire with ordering Suite at the outset, wanted a bit more than Intro, so I’m going for the middle ground).

To start I’ll just be playing with the software and using headphones but may look at a midi keyboard, audio interface and other bits and bats, down the line if I get into it.

I’m hoping that there might be one or two users of Ableton on here who can give a new user, and complete novice, some advice on the best ways to start off using Ableton (absolute basics welcome, literally from first installing).

Cheers

David

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Ableton - advice for a novice

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 18, 2022 3:02 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 1:04 pm
I’ve fancied dabbling with a DAW for a while - not with any illusions of turning into an amazing produced - more for a bit of a new hobby / interest.

After a bit of research, I’ve ordered a reasonably powerful laptop with plenty of Processing power / storage and on arrival I’ll be downloading Ableton Live 11 Standard (thought it best to hold fire with ordering Suite at the outset, wanted a bit more than Intro, so I’m going for the middle ground).

To start I’ll just be playing with the software and using headphones but may look at a midi keyboard, audio interface and other bits and bats, down the line if I get into it.

I’m hoping that there might be one or two users of Ableton on here who can give a new user, and complete novice, some advice on the best ways to start off using Ableton (absolute basics welcome, literally from first installing).

Cheers

David
I've been using Ableton for over 10 years, I've just set up this gmail email address so I can help/point you in the right direction rather than spam on here because there are so many topics and so much to learn. Feel free to email me and we'll get you going dcabletonhelp@gmail.com (i thought it the most appropriate address !!)
This user liked this post: IanMcL

Blatherwickstattoo
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by Blatherwickstattoo » Wed May 18, 2022 3:27 pm

Mainly a cubase , fruity loops then logic producer myself. But bought the akai force when it came out and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. Integrated with ableton if you want but as a stand-alone it’s the best kit about.

Some great YouTube tutorials on most things ableton mate. I’d just start from the beginning and work your way through. Also don’t skimp on the vst’s. You pay for the better sounds

shulgin
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by shulgin » Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm

I am selling an Akai Force if any good. Although not Ableton, it is a standalone system with similar workflow....

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed May 18, 2022 3:29 pm

What are you all talking about?
:lol:
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac Zlatan

Leon_C
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 142 times

Post by Leon_C » Wed May 18, 2022 4:02 pm

I use Ableton, with an AKAI APC key 25. It's only a bit of fun, I never finish anything but I like throwing together drum loops.
I have only purchased the Operator synth and the Korg M1 soft synth - both of which are very useful!
Ideally I'd like a larger keyboard than the mini keys of the 25 - but it's a back-bedroom setup, used for work and other things so that's not proved possible to date.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed May 18, 2022 5:48 pm

Thanks for the replies.

Vegas, I’ll ping you an email once I’m up and running and have got some questions - I’ll have a look through the help bits first otherwise I’ll be inundating you, which I probably will be anyway :D

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 18, 2022 6:20 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:48 pm
Thanks for the replies.

Vegas, I’ll ping you an email once I’m up and running and have got some questions - I’ll have a look through the help bits first otherwise I’ll be inundating you, which I probably will be anyway :D
no worries........a few things to get you started
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt3Ih0tSepI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj9TxqhVDAA

then watch the stuff on their channels and look at the other suggestions it will throw up for channels. I've been doing it 10 years and still watch 2-3 tutorials per day

Probs best to quote me on here once you send an email, it's not an account I would normally check !

jos
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by jos » Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 pm

A bit of a surprise to see a daw related query on this forum, unfortunately I don’t work on Ableton, but some advice from me would be to get used to using the stock plug-ins (if it has any) before delving in to the minefield of purchasing some.

But in my view the Universal Audio stuff has among the best out there.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1486 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Wed May 18, 2022 6:36 pm

Eeeeee we've come a long way since eJay
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 18, 2022 6:42 pm

jos wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:29 pm
A bit of a surprise to see a daw related query on this forum, unfortunately I don’t work on Ableton, but some advice from me would be to get used to using the stock plug-ins (if it has any) before delving in to the minefield of purchasing some.

But in my view the Universal Audio stuff has among the best out there.
absolutely spot on regarding the stock stuff, Ableton has some good gear

As and when though, look at the free section here https://www.pluginboutique.com/ for some other bits and bobs. Also note, bar the odd thing (like Serum) plug ins generally go on sale from time to time and the discounts can be huge.

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed May 18, 2022 6:51 pm

Thanks Vegas / Jos.

Vegas - I’ll plough through the YouTube guides etc (probably once the season is over) and come back to you if any questions.

I’ll definitely be exploring the endless array of plug ins but think I’ll hold fire with that to start with until I’ve got a good grasp of the basic of Ableton.

Opening it up for the first time, it looks like there’s going to be a lot of learning!! :D

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 18, 2022 7:00 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 6:51 pm
Thanks Vegas / Jos.

Vegas - I’ll plough through the YouTube guides etc (probably once the season is over) and come back to you if any questions.

I’ll definitely be exploring the endless array of plug ins but think I’ll hold fire with that to start with until I’ve got a good grasp of the basic of Ableton.

Opening it up for the first time, it looks like there’s going to be a lot of learning!! :D
I watched tutorials for 6 weeks solid before I even opened it up ! I'll try and find the channels I used and get back to you

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed May 18, 2022 7:17 pm

Cheers Vegas.

Do you use the full version - Live 11 Suite?

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed May 18, 2022 8:29 pm

Started with Logic (when it was still on PC and called emagic), been all the way around the houses (including Ableton) and I'm back on Logic- which is now only available on Apple devices.

Problem is, Macs are so bloody expensive.

I've never done any formal training on Logic, I've always found it 100% intuitive.
This user liked this post: DCWat

DCWat

Post by DCWat » Wed May 18, 2022 8:43 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:29 pm
Started with Logic (when it was still on PC and called emagic), been all the way around the houses (including Ableton) and I'm back on Logic- which is now only available on Apple devices.

Problem is, Macs are so bloody expensive.

I've never done any formal training on Logic, I've always found it 100% intuitive.
I did have a look at that as an option, alongside a couple of others and might again in the future, if I do get into it.

You’re right about the macs, for a MacBook Pro I’d have been looking at around £2,700 for similar specs to the windows laptop I ended up going with to run Ableton.

A bit too much to splash out unless I know I’ll actually get the use out of it.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1778 times

Post by dougcollins » Wed May 18, 2022 9:11 pm

I've currently got a 'pre 2020' imac 27" screen - they possibly are the best value, as no screen is too big when you're operating a DAW. i5 intel quad processor.

You can pick them up, depending on spec, for around £1500 - £2000.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 19, 2022 2:46 am

DCWat wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 7:17 pm
Cheers Vegas.

Do you use the full version - Live 11 Suite?
10 suite at the moment, I'll get to 11 at some point