Triple lock Pensions

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fatboy47
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Re: Triple lock Pensions

Post by fatboy47 » Sun May 22, 2022 11:59 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:30 am
I for one will switch back to Labour next time, but more in hope than expectation, however this current lot do need showing the door.

Me too...but the chances of Labour representing the ordinary people as well as this lot represent their zillionaire sponsors are slim indeed.
The sheer amount of the country's wealth diverted to the top 1% in 3 terms of Tory rule won't be reversed by the likes of Starmer...it'll only amount to a few crumbs being brushed off the table.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4ZmjfLdJ ... =copy-link

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:06 pm

fatboy47 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 11:59 am
Me too...but the chances of Labour representing the ordinary people as well as this lot represent their zillionaire sponsors are slim indeed.
The sheer amount of the country's wealth diverted to the top 1% in 3 terms of Tory rule won't be reversed by the likes of Starmer...it'll only amount to a few crumbs being brushed off the table.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4ZmjfLdJ ... =copy-link
Sadly it boils down to choosing the least worst option, and it's no wonder turnout is falling like a stone with the options on offer.

I'm fortunate that I have some savings, and I can ride out the current crisis, but I'm well aware that many aren't as fortunate as myself, and they should be helped.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sun May 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 7:44 pm
Most pensioners are already well off, and many can't even spend the money they get currently
jojomk1 wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 10:27 pm
A perfect example of the type of comment that gives credence to the naming of BFC supporters as Dingles

What a moron !
So jojomk1, and others who criticised Elizabeth's post, you know the pension facts do you? Well here are some:

Number of people in UK on the state pension in 2020 (they of course may have other pensions and sources of income): 12.4 million:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... 1#pensions

Number of pensioners in poverty in 2021: 2.1 million:

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/latest-press/a ... o-million/

I'm a pensioner and get two other incomes apart from the state pension. I'm lucky in many ways that I get more money then I need to spend but I am by nature quite frugal. As the second link suggests, there seem to be avenues for getting more money for those in real need.

Overall I don't think the government of the day anticipated the high rate of inflation that is and will occur and so when others, especially younger generations, have to suffer financially, it's only fair that this triple-lock idea is reconsidered.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Sun May 22, 2022 1:20 pm

The triple lock was intended to preserve the income of the lowest income pensioners, the ones who will suffer most if it is withdrawn. Maybe the State pension will need to be means tested in future and real incentives given for people to contribute to their own future income. Very thorny issue across the nation. I have separate pension income and am pleased at the prospect of extra state income, but not reliant on it. Would it be necessary to compensate those who have contributed to NI system in anticipation of a pension if it is means tested in future?

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm

jollyjack wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:20 pm
The triple lock was intended to preserve the income of the lowest income pensioners, the ones who will suffer most if it is withdrawn. Maybe the State pension will need to be means tested in future and real incentives given for people to contribute to their own future income. Very thorny issue across the nation. I have separate pension income and am pleased at the prospect of extra state income, but not reliant on it. Would it be necessary to compensate those who have contributed to NI system in anticipation of a pension if it is means tested in future?
Your final point is the key. OAPensions have been paid for through NI. The wealthy pensioners mentioned in earlier posts will have, in all probability, have contributed more than the poorer. Pensions are not a benefit.
This user liked this post: tiger76

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 22, 2022 3:35 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 3:25 pm
Your final point is the key. OAPensions have been paid for through NI. The wealthy pensioners mentioned in earlier posts will have, in all probability, have contributed more than the poorer. Pensions are not a benefit.
Precisely if people contribute throughout their working life, surely it's not unreasonable for them to expect THEIR money to be returned to them in later life, and as the state pension age just keeps increasing, no doubt many employees may find they'll have to work longer before retiring, if their health allows them too of course.

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Sun May 22, 2022 3:56 pm

What no one has mentioned is that my wife contracted to pay in her NI until she reached 60. I also contracted to pay in and get my pension at 65. This contract was broken and we have lost £000s from the increase in pension age.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun May 22, 2022 8:24 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 9:18 am
Then you should aim for it to get better

You don't do that be thinking everyone is like the current lot
It is what it is at the end of the day.

We have had the current lot and we have had the other lot with stains against their names.

To name a few

Racism, sleaze, anti-Semitic, bullying, having both parliamentary and police investigations against them.

None of them are exactly creating a world of hope and inspiring people through exemplary leadership.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:26 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:24 pm
It is what it is at the end of the day.

We have had the current lot and we have had the other lot with stains against their names.

To name a few

Racism, sleaze, anti-Semitic, bullying, having both parliamentary and police investigations against them.

None of them are exactly creating a world of hope and inspiring people through exemplary leadership.
But that is why you change it

Can't fault the voters of Burnley for example, three elections, three different party MPs - if everywhere did that there wouldn't be any complacency in any political party