Burnley v Newcastle - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Re: Burnley v Newcastle - Player Ratings

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun May 22, 2022 10:33 pm

Pope 5

Roberts 5
Collins 5
Long 5
Tarkowski 6
Taylor 5

Cork 6
Brownhill 5
McNeil 5

Cornet 6
Barnes 4

Weghorst 6

Needed a good, solid team performance and….they threw one in. Story of our season. Can pick out individual moments or decisions but looking at everything overall, we didn’t deserve to stay in the league. I mean, starting a crucial relegation decider with Long and Barnes this far down the line…beggars belief. The bench summed it up. Dyche’s credit in the bank saw him out stay his welcome and the staleness just couldn’t be shaken off despite MJ’s best efforts. NUFC weren’t particularly great but they didn’t have to be. Note above that we showed enough effort - I’m not convinced we did. It was a tired team out there today, physically and mentally. Hindsight is wonderful but I wanted the new manager in immediately - think MJ’s tactical inexperience was exposed today. Big summer now with some big decisions.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sun May 22, 2022 10:39 pm

I usually just leave numbers but had to give a bit more of an opinion today. It's a bit harsh but I thought today, considering everything, was rank bad.

Pope - 6 - Great shot stopper. Been fantastic for us. Kicking is crap. Some of the toddlers on the pitch at the end were better.

Taylor - 5 - Hasn't looked fit for about two months. Wouldn't be surprised if he left.

Long - 5 - Not good enough. Too slow. Doesn't read the game well enough. Sure he's a nice guy but won the lottery every week for the past ten years.

Tarkowski - 6 - Best player on the day and many days. Been excellent for us. Only so much he can do.

Collins - 4 - Poor. Been very, very good but today he looked like a little boy. Good work for Cornet's goal but other than that he looked nervous.

Roberts - 5 - Meh. Will be decent in the Championship.

McNeil - 5 - Infuriating. I don't know what he is, what he does, how bothered I'll be if he goes, or who'd want him.

Brownhill - 5 - I like him but about as flimsy as it gets today. He'll be good for us in the Championship.

Cork - 6 - Seemed up for it, some nice touches but not dynamic enough for the Prem. Would be happy with him in the squad next season.

Barnes - 4 - See ya. Some fantastic memories, some key goals, some screamers. But not been good enough for a while and today was typical Barnes.

Cornet - 5 - A shadow of the player we've seen. Seems shy and lost the chest-out saviour vibes he gave off soon after his arrival. Will be off. Can see him at Leeds or Brentford.

Weghorst - 5 - 6ft4 but plays like he's 5ft8. It's mad to watch. Would he score twenty in the Championship? Maybe, I don't know, not convinced. Is he going to hang around? Probably not. Am I that arsed? I don't think so. Would he ask Aaron Lennon to get something from the top shelf for him? Absolutely.

Lennon - 5 - Busy and shuffled some passes around. Been okay for us. Surely we can improve upon him though.

A whimper. Completely deserve to go down. Relegation was obviously a possibility but with the odds in our favour and to play like that - pathetic. Didn't win a loose ball until about the 70th minute. There was no press. Set piece deliveries were unfathomably awful except one from Lennon which was average. No bravery, no composure, no creativity. The wrong decision with almost every pass when it mattered in the final third. Forgot all the things which made us good under Jackson. A real shame. But really we should've been dead and buried in April. So it's a weird achievement in itself that it went to the final day. Oh well. UTC.
These 4 users liked this post: Nonayforever TommyPicks Swizzlestick longsidepies

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Mon May 23, 2022 12:19 am

Pope 5
Collins 4
Tarks 5
Long 5
Taylor 5
Roberts 5
Cork 5
Brownhill 5
McNeil 5
Cornet 6 - 1 point for goal giving him 🌟
Barnes 5

Wout 5

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 23, 2022 12:23 am

Pope 6
Roberts 6
Collins 7 played very well but cost a goal through madness
Long 6
Tarkowski 6
Taylor 7
McNeil 6
Brownhill 7
Cork 8 Epitome of a Burnley player giving 100%
Cornet 7
Barnes 7

Weghorst 6

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 3:06 am

I was worried pre match about two things

1 These old legs can't play 3 prem games in a week, especially having played Thursday night. We struggled

2 Three centre backs, I thought it would allow Toon to attack us too much and that's what happened

Pope 6 A few good saves, to be sold.
Collins 5 mad moment for the Pen, but he really tried 2nd half. Will become a good Centre back.
Tarkowski 7 Going to miss you big fella
Long 5 Not good enough
Taylor 4 Not his usual self up the wing
Roberts 4 unlucky to be hooked
Brownhill 3 not recovered enough from Thursday
Cork 5 not recovered enough from Thursday
McNeil 5 Good god, he's doing the Dave Jones left peg circles now. Never developed the use of his right foot, such a shame. He's a left winger that's it.
Barnes 5 Thanks for the great memories Ash
Cornet 6 Good goal, Injured too much this season, but thanks for the bit of excitement with the goals..to be sold.

Weghorst 5 Not really worked out for him

Massive job to sort for the new manager whoever that may be

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Mon May 23, 2022 3:46 am

From TV
Pope 7
Collins 5
Tarks 7
Long 5
Taylor 5
Roberts 4
Brownhill 5
Cork 6
McNeil 3
Barnes 4
Cornet 6

Weghorst 5

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 am

Pope 7 - a couple of good saves to keep us in it, both goals unstoppable
Collins 6 - nutjob moment for the penalty but otherwise thought he played well and set up the goal with some excellent wing play
Tarks 7 - Captain's innings
Long 6 - as usual didn't do a lot wrong, remember that penalty apart, Newcastle only scored once
Taylor 5 - was poor until the goal then perked up a bit
Roberts 5 - it wasn't working in that right sided position
Brownhill 5 - we needed a big display of skill and character from him
Cork 5 - we needed our senior player in midfield to show some authority and composure
McNeil 6 - seemed to be given some kind of wandering minstrel role, however had our only two shots on goal and was brave enough to want the ball and try and get the team going, sadly a lot of the time it didn't work, a performance that typified his season really. Just showed how much we relied on this young lad as a matchwinner in the past as we didn't have many others out there yesterday.
Barnes 5 - didn't look like a guy who has scored 40+ EPL goals
Cornet 6 - did nothing much until he scored and then became more of a threat

Weghorst 5 - some decent touches but unfortunately he has been a justification for the old adage of you get what you pay for.
Lennon 6 - one for the future .... only kidding

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 am

Pope 6
Collins 5
Tarkowski 8
Long 7
Taylor 6
Roberts 4
Brownhill 5
Cork 6
McNeil 6
Barnes 6
Cornet 7

Weghorst 7

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon May 23, 2022 7:48 am

Pope 6
Roberts 5
Collins 6 (I actually thought apart from his ridiculous handball he played very well)
Tarks 6
Long 6
Taylor 4 (He's good player, but yet again he only saw the danger when he was 4 yards behind it and it was too late!)
Cork 5
Brownhill 4
McNeil 4 (looked incredibly nervous)
Cornet 4
Barnes 3
Wout 3 (awful miss)

Just our luck. Neither Newcastle or Brentford really have anything to play for, yet Newcastle turn up and take their game seriously and Brentford decide to play like they've already been in the pub. It didn't help that Jacko got his tactics wrong with 5 at the back being OK away at Villa, but less so at home in a must win game. That left Cornet playing a central striking role with the hapless Barnes and that formation was was never likely to threaten Newcastle or get us on the front foot. The handball for the penalty is ludicrous when you think of what was at stake and the second goal is Taylor (yet again) not seeing the danger man directly ahead of him until it's too late (watch him hold his head!) As others have said, we only started playing for about 20 minutes after we were 2 down and were then a tad unlucky not to pinch the draw in the end. Unlike many others I'm genuinely gutted and I'm not relishing the swamp which is the Championship, especially with little money to invest. Whatever we think of them, Dyche and Garlick and others, plus all the players over the past 6/8 years have put a hell of a lot of work into getting us to where we were and it's been allowed to slip through our fingers. Who knows if we'll be the next Fulham or the next Ipswich. Worrying times unfortunately.

jmu1
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by jmu1 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:18 am

We may have been better to play 5 at the back or 442 leaving Long out. Really did not work with Collins at right back and Robert’s looked lost at right midfield
Pope 7
Collins 5
Tarkowski 7
Long 6
Taylor 6
Roberts 5
Brownhill 5
Cork 7
McNeil 6
Barnes 6
Cornet 7

Weghorst 6