Gutted

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
LowtonClaret
Been Liked: 33 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Gutted

Post by LowtonClaret » Sun May 22, 2022 6:42 pm

Even though I've tried to convince myself that being relegation is fine, im still gutted . Following the take over, it's was s*** or bust. And we lost. I hate the prem but love playing the best players in the world (ish) each week. Followed BFC since 84 and this is the only relegation that's got me Last season I would have been confident about returning. With our now debt, I don't see a way back. Our best players will leave or be sold and our previous owners may return whether that's good or bad.

AwayClaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Re: Gutted

Post by AwayClaret » Sun May 22, 2022 6:44 pm

I'm gutted too pal. I won't miss VAR and the bullshit of the prem even though really we want to be there. Off to the pub for the first time in donkeys on a Sunday. Chin up.

Neil
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun May 22, 2022 7:22 pm

I'm gutted but more annoyed that we went out with a whimper. If you watched that game without knowing what was at stake you'd think it was a friendly.
Should be running till they were ready to puke but saw few who looked like they cared. Mcneill particularly stood out as one showing no urgency or effort. Newcastle didn't even play as well as I expected. Maybe the nerves got to the crowd but I was expecting a white hot atmosphere with the crowd willing the ball into the net. The biggest surprise of the day was the fact that we didn't equalise late on and have a few more minutes of false hope only to have it snatched away.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm

Relegation per se wouldn't have bothered me either were it not for our uncertain finances, and I fear an instant return will be beyond us this time, especially given the amount of players departing, and seemingly no money to source adequate replacements, it's been a great ride, but we've definitely hit the buffers over the past 2 seasons, and sadly this day isn't totally unexpected, although MJ gave us late hope of pulling off a miracle it wasn't to be in the end.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by 2510 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm

Whatever happened to "sweat on the shirt"?

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:10 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:06 pm
Relegation per se wouldn't have bothered me either were it not for our uncertain finances, and I fear an instant return will be beyond us this time, especially given the amount of players departing, and seemingly no money to source adequate replacements, it's been a great ride, but we've definitely hit the buffers over the past 2 seasons, and sadly this day isn't totally unexpected, although MJ gave us late hope of pulling off a miracle it wasn't to be in the end.
I’m just relieved it’s over to be honest. Let’s face it, we’ve been ****, but it’s the hope that kills you. I’ve not been able to sleep all week so glad I know the outcome (& it’s the one I expected deep down).

As you say tiger, it’s the finances that worry me now & id like a swift statement from Pace/Garlick in that regard, putting us in the picture.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1619 times
Has Liked: 890 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sun May 22, 2022 8:12 pm

I feel sorry for the fans but not the players or owners - they’ll still be millionaires after today.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:16 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:10 pm
I’m just relieved it’s over to be honest. Let’s face it, we’ve been ****, but it’s the hope that kills you. I’ve not been able to sleep all week so glad I know the outcome (& it’s the one I expected deep down).

As you say tiger, it’s the finances that worry me now & id like a swift statement from Pace/Garlick in that regard, putting us in the picture.
Hmm! doubt you'll be getting any info from those in charge, communication doesn't appear to be their strongest suit.

I have no idea how bad our money woes actually are, but we have gone from being a debt free club, to one which now has eye-watering debts, and even if we cash in on a few assets there's no guarantee that income will be reinvested into the playing squad.

Last time we went down there was a high degree of confidence that with a few shrewd signings we could mount a strong bid for promotion, which we did, this time I don't sense that same hope in the air.

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Sun May 22, 2022 8:20 pm

I’m gutted too. When you can’t beat the teams around you, especially when you’re near the bottom of the division, IMO, you’re in the wrong division. My head says we’ve had a good run and it was just a matter of time before we were found out. Billionaire owners and Oligarchs are not the world of Burnley but sadly they are the Premier League. My heart says I love the circus of the Premier League. I love listening to Radio 5 and Talksport and hearing about my club. I love watching the BBC and Sky and them talking about my club. Sadly, no matter how competitive the Championship is it just isn’t the same. Then uncertainty that now surrounds my club, no manager, 10 players out of contract and questions over finances will make it a long summer. Roll on the 31st July and a new season and we go again.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm

I was disappointed today, Newcastle barely stepped out of first gear, we worked fairly hard but no quality at all, I feel we got what we deserved. I’ll be glad to see a few go, unfortunately a lot of the lazy players are the ones that will still be about.

Collins, is the future, we will be a top 6 side next year
This user liked this post: Stayingup

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:31 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:16 pm
Hmm! doubt you'll be getting any info from those in charge, communication doesn't appear to be their strongest suit.

I have no idea how bad our money woes actually are, but we have gone from being a debt free club, to one which now has eye-watering debts, and even if we cash in on a few assets there's no guarantee that income will be reinvested into the playing squad.

Last time we went down there was a high degree of confidence that with a few shrewd signings we could mount a strong bid for promotion, which we did, this time I don't sense that same hope in the air.
I’m pretty optimistic. I don’t think we’ll lose as many as some fear and I imagine Pace will pick some up regardless of our money woes (we need to be clever - loans etc).

We’ve gone down 3rd last, with the lowest GD, in a year with some bad injuries and some awful decisions (not an excuse for some awful performances in there too) so I don’t think we’re as bad as some fear.
This user liked this post: Clockwork Claret

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Sun May 22, 2022 8:53 pm

It stings tonight for sure. We came close to pulling off the great escape but got found out today against a team which exploited our weaknesses extremely well.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 22, 2022 8:55 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:25 pm
I was disappointed today, Newcastle barely stepped out of first gear, we worked fairly hard but no quality at all, I feel we got what we deserved. I’ll be glad to see a few go, unfortunately a lot of the lazy players are the ones that will still be about.

Collins, is the future, we will be a top 6 side next year
Newcastle will have tougher training sessions every day

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:06 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 8:31 pm
I’m pretty optimistic. I don’t think we’ll lose as many as some fear and I imagine Pace will pick some up regardless of our money woes (we need to be clever - loans etc).

We’ve gone down 3rd last, with the lowest GD, in a year with some bad injuries and some awful decisions (not an excuse for some awful performances in there too) so I don’t think we’re as bad as some fear.
Remarkably similar season to 14/15, when we also started slow, and despite improving gradually over the course of the season, we always seemed to be just short of where we needed to be.

What makes yesterday all the worse is we got ourselves into a position which didn't look remotely likely a few games before, and 1 more win would have secured our top flight status whatever Leeds did, yet come the big moment we simply didn't turn up in a big game again, and that's the story of our season, and the main reason we'll be in the Championship next term.

It will be interesting to see exactly how many we can hold onto, and perhaps more importantly who we can bring in with a meagre budget.

But we definitely need a few incomings if only to freshen up our ageing squad, and the loan market might be a useful option in that sense, maybe with the option to buy in the event of promotion.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 9:18 am

tiger76 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:06 am
Remarkably similar season to 14/15, when we also started slow, and despite improving gradually over the course of the season, we always seemed to be just short of where we needed to be.

What makes yesterday all the worse is we got ourselves into a position which didn't look remotely likely a few games before, and 1 more win would have secured our top flight status whatever Leeds did, yet come the big moment we simply didn't turn up in a big game again, and that's the story of our season, and the main reason we'll be in the Championship next term.

It will be interesting to see exactly how many we can hold onto, and perhaps more importantly who we can bring in with a meagre budget.

But we definitely need a few incomings if only to freshen up our ageing squad, and the loan market might be a useful option in that sense, maybe with the option to buy in the event of promotion.
Yep, I’m some respects tiger, I’m glad it’s over. I always felt we were not quite good enough. In retrospect, I think we were too cautious in our last 3 (playing 5 at the back), although I thought they were the right calls at the time.

What is reassuring is that the if we think we have a meagre budget, we’ll be positively rolling in it compared to 95% of the division.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1696 times
Has Liked: 789 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 9:18 am

I am gutted and had a bad night (my mental health which showed a recovery recently, took a backward step). For me it would not have taken much to have survived. Not using half of the money from the Wood sale. Doing nothing with 7 days left in the transfer market when we had been let down by the East European left footed midfielder, tolerating Dyche and Woan for so long after the Norwich home draw are big factors. I think for me it was so refreshing for a new acting manager to come in, with no PL management experience, who could get a tune out of our players. MJ gave us hope. The guy looked like he had been in three car crashes yesterday having given it his all. It would be nice for Pace to come out in public and thank him and our Academy manager for nearly achieving the impossible. MJ showed in just 7 games how out of touch are coaching staff had got. If those three get another job together I will bet they will not last a season. My thoughts go out to all geuine clarets

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon May 23, 2022 9:57 am

Sh!t happens and we move on and look forward to life back in the championship.

For me personally I shall be back to attending away matches. I got sick of having to forward plan an away match, i much prefer getting up in the morning and going if i feel like it and paying cash on the day

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:20 am

[/quote]

For the second consecutive season we have been one of the 3 lowest scoring sides. Last PL Season just 2 of those sides ended up being relegated and this season it ended up with all 3 of the lowest scoring teams facing the drop. Our goals contribution from midfield over several seasons has been almost non existent but was never addressed in any of the transfer windows.