Chris Wood - End of game

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Re: Chris Wood - End of game

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 7:06 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 pm
There are ways to lose. We lost both our status and the game badly yesterday but I thought we were decent as fans. No strops. No aggy pitch invasion. No boos for our own. Genuine appreciation and affection for this group of players. This is remarkable given the season we have had. A massive winless run at home was accepted and shrugged off. The sacking of a managerial great with no plan has been accepted and shrugged off. The sale of goalscoring asset has been accepted and shrugged off. Players performing poorly has been accepted and shrugged off largely. Look at the toxicity at Everton and Leeds this season. Leeds in their last home game before they snatched a late point were calling the manager out and telling the board to **** off. Everton have been almost bipolar in their sentiments towards the team and Lampard through the run in.

I'm on other forums with mixed fan bases and our reputation is awful. It is undeserved. Our hardcore fans are staunch and committed. Look at how many players often derided find a home with us and enjoy the best spells of their careers. We should be proud of the match going fans defiance and commitment this season.
It's a really good point but maybe those frenetic toxic grounds make it possible for players to actually turn it round. Maybe the fact we did shrug it off meant it was easy for us to lose so poorly yesterday?

Not sure what I'd like to be honest but Goodison has been a cauldron for teams in the run in.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon May 23, 2022 7:09 pm

Tinribs wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:54 am
The bloke ditched us for a relegation rival Halfway through a season.
I can’t applaud anyone who does that.
Coyle did the same and is hated.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 pm

xxmunkyennuixx wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:49 pm
There are ways to lose. We lost both our status and the game badly yesterday but I thought we were decent as fans. No strops. No aggy pitch invasion. No boos for our own. Genuine appreciation and affection for this group of players. This is remarkable given the season we have had. A massive winless run at home was accepted and shrugged off. The sacking of a managerial great with no plan has been accepted and shrugged off. The sale of goalscoring asset has been accepted and shrugged off. Players performing poorly has been accepted and shrugged off largely. Look at the toxicity at Everton and Leeds this season. Leeds in their last home game before they snatched a late point were calling the manager out and telling the board to **** off. Everton have been almost bipolar in their sentiments towards the team and Lampard through the run in.

I'm on other forums with mixed fan bases and our reputation is awful. It is undeserved. Our hardcore fans are staunch and committed. Look at how many players often derided find a home with us and enjoy the best spells of their careers. We should be proud of the match going fans defiance and commitment this season.
Well said

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 7:16 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:06 pm
It's a really good point but maybe those frenetic toxic grounds make it possible for players to actually turn it round. Maybe the fact we did shrug it off meant it was easy for us to lose so poorly yesterday?

Not sure what I'd like to be honest but Goodison has been a cauldron for teams in the run in.
Tbf, in that 10 minute spell after we scored, ours was as well
This user liked this post: BabylonClaret

xxmunkyennuixx
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by xxmunkyennuixx » Mon May 23, 2022 7:31 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:06 pm

I watched Everton quite a bit. I've also been on their YouTube and forums. The support was pretty awful against Newcastle and then they nicked one. United was a walk over for them. Chelsea was teetering at points. It always felt like they could turn pretty quickly. They do turn pretty quickly. Toxicity is drawn from high expectations I suppose in Everton's case. Our expectations are perhaps lower. I went back to shouting in excitement at throw ins in the opposition half yesterday. Not done that since Cotterill. 😂

I can see where you are coming from. If I was playing, I would want backing and the opposition and ref treated like ****.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm

Did the Newcastle takeover effectively relegate us in the end?

Is there another universe where the takeover was rejected, Wood stays, and we get enough points to survive?

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon May 23, 2022 9:56 pm

We took 24 points after Wood left from 21 games, We should have got shot at the start of the season when he was in his comfort zone.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Mon May 23, 2022 10:21 pm

Came on at the wrong time as the fans were definitely not in any kind of comfort zone

Red Fox Rocks Socks
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 442 times

Post by Red Fox Rocks Socks » Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 pm

You can bet your life his next move is on loan to championship. He’ll ride out his contract then end up at West Brom etc. he needs the entire team set up for him as per Dyches Burnley and looked good. He’s not good enough to get that elsewhere.
He played left side when he came on Sunday, he’ll not make a success of that as long as he’s got a hole in his bottom

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Tue May 24, 2022 12:22 am

Ric_C wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:05 pm
Did the Newcastle takeover effectively relegate us in the end?

Is there another universe where the takeover was rejected, Wood stays, and we get enough points to survive?
I think we need to remember how poor Wood was in the first half of the season. He may have moved up a gear, who knows, but he certainly wasn't performing nor does it look like he's finding the net with regularity for NUFC either. It just hasn't worked out with his replacement, an unusual player with obvious talent who didn't in any way, shape or form suit us.

Luppy
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Luppy » Tue May 24, 2022 8:06 pm

I thought it was a moment of respect from Wood and a bit of a belated goodbye. Not sure what he was expected to do when Newcastle came in for him - transfer fee triggered that was set presumably by us, I imagine his wages at least doubled? His comfort zone comment wasn't the best but I think most people in his position would have done the same thing. I suspect he was genuinely gutted we got relegated.

Great for us down the seasons - certainly not getting booed by me
These 2 users liked this post: Downhamclaret Britannia Claret