How are you feeling this morning.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Re: How are you feeling this morning.

Post by steve1264b » Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 am

A little sad but not really bothered.

Ive seen us go down then back up and to be honest I've enjoy wins in the 4th division as much as the premier league.

Burnley Football Club will always be there for me, my children, my yet to be born grandchildren.

That the future, no matter what league we are in.
This user liked this post: SherbornePhil

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:31 am

Really flat. It's proper sunk in.

And very very pessimistic.

I'm amazed the number of people saying they're not bothered and think we are on the brink of a brand new dawn.

I think we are just as likely to be facing an Orient mk II by the end of the decade as playing at the top level again

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:33 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:31 am
Really flat. It's proper sunk in.

And very very pessimistic.

I'm amazed the number of people saying they're not bothered and think we are on the brink of a brand new dawn.

I think we are just as likely to be facing an Orient mk II by the end of the decade as playing at the top level again

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am

I am also surprised that so many are not bothered. We have just come out of the best league in the world, playing some of the best clubs and players in the world, with phenomenal coverage brought to your front room every day. And for the town it regularly brings thousands of pounds to our town, yet people are saying they are quite happy to be be playing in the Championship and even lower down. For me this is a lack of ambition about some of our fan base.I hope I am not on my own
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2319 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon May 23, 2022 10:40 am

warksclaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am
I am also surprised that so many are not bothered. We have just come out of the best league in the world, playing some of the best clubs and players in the world, with phenomenal coverage brought to your front room every day. And for the town it regularly brings thousands of pounds to our town, yet people are saying they are quite happy to be be playing in the Championship and even lower down. For me this is a lack of ambition about some of our fan base.I hope I am not on my own
Always been the case. I call it the Burnley bubble. They don’t believe a world exists outside of the town.
These 3 users liked this post: warksclaret BabylonClaret jojomk1

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:47 am

Very tired after a night of running missed chances to avoid relegation running through my mind

Trying not to think of the situation with the club, but with the Category 1 under threat I do wonder what on earth is going on, and of course anyone who thinks that debt servicing will magically not affect our transfer is deluded sadly

We do need to hear from Pace about the future (as has already been said)

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Mon May 23, 2022 10:51 am

Shite

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:55 am

SalouClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:23 am
Without that 'ineffective' player's goals we'd have been relegated about 8 weeks ago. Jesus Christ.
Not really. Half his goals were not instrumental in gaining points. His goals actually earned 5 points. Since Christmas he's earned us 2 points but at the same tine cost us 2 points at least

It's a very mixed up/down season for him. He started like a house on fire but sadly in the wider team shape he's been difficult to shoehorn in as evidenced by the ongoing debate earlier in 2022 about whether he should start.

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:55 am
Not really. Half his goals were not instrumental in gaining points. His goals actually earned 5 points. Since Christmas he's earned us 2 points but at the same tine cost us 2 points at least

It's a very mixed up/down season for him. He started like a house on fire but sadly in the wider team shape he's been difficult to shoehorn in as evidenced by the ongoing debate earlier in 2022 about whether he should start.

Aye, nothing to do with the other players. Let's all blame our top scorer :roll:

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Mon May 23, 2022 10:58 am

Rough, hungover, and like some really disappointed about the manner of the defeat yesterday. With the negativity on the field It actually looked like SD was back for large parts of the game, and Taylor looked like a Leeds player again.

I’m actually ok with the relegation, I’d resigned myself to it after the Leeds away game to be honest. To take it to the final game was an incredible achievement considering what Dyche left us with after the Norwich game. The manner of the capitulation yesterday I’m not ok with.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Mon May 23, 2022 11:02 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:55 am

Your Cornet vendetta continues to be deeply odd. He hasn’t been shoehorned in to accommodate him, he’s been shoehorned in to accommodate the team. With Vydra and Jay Rod’s injuries and the obvious fact that WW and Barnes wasn’t viable, we needed somebody dynamic up top so he’s had to play out of position. Yet still finished top scorer. He has his faults, he is erratic but if it wasn’t for him, I think we’d have been relegated a few weeks back.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon May 23, 2022 11:04 am

Fine. Disappointed but that's more because it's never nice to be relegated and we'll lose a few good players who it would have been nice to build a team round.

We always knew it couldn't last forever and the longer we stayed in the PL, the sooner relegation would come. Even then we've taken it to the last day.

My overriding feeling is one of pride. I've watched my club go from nearly dropping out of the league, to spending 6 seasons in the top division, with European football thrown in. From the bottom to the top without a sugar daddy or racking up obscene debt, we did it the right way. The proper way. The way all clubs should be forced to do it. And we stayed there, until now, against all the odds. If you'd offered me that 30 odd years ago, I'd have taken it, disbelievingly.

For now, I have no problem whatsoever with being out of the Premier league, a one team money league where I can tell you now with near certainty how it will play out again next season and many to come. (Clue: the same as this season). I'm utterly bored with just surviving, like 3 quarters of the teams are every year. And I'm glad we'll be rid of the disaster that is VAR. I'm looking forward to being in a division that is actually competitive, whether we come straight back up or not.

It will be an interesting summer to say the least but a reset is long overdue for everyone. And I'd probably include the supporters in that. So yeah, disappointed. But the best thing to do is look forward.
These 3 users liked this post: dandeclaret Falcon Lancasterclaret

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:05 am

Surprisingly ok

Got some stick from local Rovers fans but that was expected

As was relegation

Previous manager had gone well past his "use by" date so end position was no surprise

Thinking there will now be a "Fire Sale" plus oap's allowed to leave when ooc

There will be plenty of applicants for vacant managers position but it will take someone with a good knowledge of lower league players to sort this out for next season

Exciting times ;)

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Mon May 23, 2022 11:07 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:02 am
Your Cornet vendetta continues to be deeply odd. He hasn’t been shoehorned in to accommodate him, he’s been shoehorned in to accommodate the team. With Vydra and Jay Rod’s injuries and the obvious fact that WW and Barnes wasn’t viable, we needed somebody dynamic up top so he’s had to play out of position. Yet still finished top scorer. He has his faults, he is erratic but if it wasn’t for him, I think we’d have been relegated a few weeks back.
You forgot to mention that he scored more than the rest of the forwards still on the club's books put together.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:14 am

think we have been spoilt on the forwards recently, we went back to back Ings/Austin/Gray there were fabulous for us and we were truly spoilt with 3 great strikers in such a short period of time. But these guys are few and far between at our level/financial level and we got "lucky" any combination of those 3 when we had them - fit all season would score enough to guarantee play offs minimum just with the goals.

Claret3495
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Claret3495 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:21 am

Upon reflection, not half as bad as I felt yesterday evening. It is a shame, but we didn't turn up yesterday, and haven't done in the crunch games this season. We deserved to drop. Jackson did a fantastic job with the situation he was given. I'm looking forward to the first fixtures of the new season in August.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 11:22 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
His assists and goals are something McNeil should study, as should all our strikers and wide men. Cornet I know missed some chances and a pen but did bring some excitement and fantastic goals to our club

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon May 23, 2022 11:26 am

Just gutted the way we went down, I called it as soon as I saw the lineup, it was wrong. The approach was wrong, we played for a draw.

We should've been 442 and threw the kitchen sink at them from the off (like the Soton game). Instead we went down with an absolute whimper, not a single attempt at goal in the opening 35 minutes, just 2 speculative Mcneil long rangers in the entire first half.

When we actually passed the ball and attacked with Weghorst upfront, we looked like we were gonna score every time we went forward, shame that spell took 70 minutes to arrive.
These 2 users liked this post: Goddy Wokingclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32241 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am

Yesterday I went from nervous to devastated. Today I'm far, far worse. It's all sunk in.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Mon May 23, 2022 11:28 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:27 am
Yesterday I went from nervous to devastated. Today I'm far, far worse. It's all sunk in.
at least you have us to keep you happy CT...

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon May 23, 2022 11:28 am

Everywhere I look it's Leeds celebrating

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Mon May 23, 2022 11:30 am

KRBFC wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:28 am
Everywhere I look it's Leeds celebrating
Biggest club in the world, so hard to miss right...? ;)
This user liked this post: KRBFC

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am

Not just our performance but from the sounds of it Brentford were next to useless and Christian Eriksen put in his worst display since he joined them.

With the way they played against Everton and the bad feeling towards Leeds I at least expected them to come good even if we lost. :(

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon May 23, 2022 11:36 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Ditto this, and I thought it would be a new page situation this morning, but I am even worse now after reading some of the stuff on here today.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 11:38 am

Foreverly Claret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:34 am
I'm actually feeling a lot worse than I thought I would...GUTTED. Someone once mentioned " fine margins " and if you look at some of the draws that should have been wins ( 2 points lost each time ) you have to agree. What makes it worse for me is the prospects for the future..the reported financial situation is , reportedly , dire and we'll be fighting with one hand tied against some very good teams over a very long season...eight more games .Our best players will be leaving and the managerial position is uncertain..we really are in the proverbial MELTING POT.

Oh and it doesn't help living on the outskirts of Leeds
Me too (with the Leeds thing too)

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Mon May 23, 2022 11:40 am

Spijed wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:34 am
Not just our performance but from the sounds of it Brentford were next to useless and Christian Eriksen put in his worst display since he joined them.

With the way they played against Everton and the bad feeling towards Leeds I at least expected them to come good even if we lost. :(
To make it even worse, Leeds made defensive changes and looked really nervy, then Brentford scored. All that Brentford momentum went, they were very quickly down to 9 men.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 11:41 am

SalouClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:57 am
Aye, nothing to do with the other players. Let's all blame our top scorer :roll:
I don't think people are blaming the top scorer at all (I'm not certainly) just that was he the right signing at the time? When he signed I assumed he could play on the right - in the end he couldn't and that's what we needed.

That's not his fault
This user liked this post: SalouClaret

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:42 am

tiger76 wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:01 am
You do realise what happens on the financial side impacts on our ability to build a competitive squad don't you, and assuming we cash in on our main assets, and they aren't replaced it's unlikely we'll be making a quick PL return, which we really do need to do simply to cover our existing debt requirements.
I’m not bothered about a quick return to the PL, we can’t compete there so what’s the point?

Let’s hope we get a manager with some fresh ideas in as well as some new faces that we can push on with and be at least half-competitive in the Championship.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 11:45 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Sorry. Its not meant to sound like a vendetta. I'm trying to add some balance to this line that he's been the saviour and without him we would have been dead and buried ages ago. That's not true.

I think the difficulty is that we have let recruitment slide for too long and when we did start again the recruitment didn't really consider properly how we would cover the gaps we had

We already had a decent left midfield - we really needed a right and central mid and a refresh up front (which as he had an eye for goal is perhaps why Dyche hoped he might slot in there).

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Mon May 23, 2022 11:53 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Exactly this .

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1000 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Mon May 23, 2022 12:01 pm

FeedTheArf wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:13 am
If we were relegated without the leveraged buy out I'd be a lot calmer as we still had our 'rainy day fund'. Yes, we'd probably lose some big players as they'd want to play in the top league, but we'd be able to use that money to replace/strengthen.

As it stands, we're still going to lose those players but it'll go into the big black £65-million-shaped financial hole.

So to answer your question, a mixture of worry and anger this morning.
Same here. When we were relegated from the EPL 2014/15 I was confident we'd be competitive the following season. Ive got no such confidence this time because of the financial situation.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Mon May 23, 2022 12:01 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:45 am
Sorry. Its not meant to sound like a vendetta. I'm trying to add some balance to this line that he's been the saviour and without him we would have been dead and buried ages ago. That's not true.

I think the difficulty is that we have let recruitment slide for too long and when we did start again the recruitment didn't really consider properly how we would cover the gaps we had

We already had a decent left midfield - we really needed a right and central mid and a refresh up front (which as he had an eye for goal is perhaps why Dyche hoped he might slot in there).
You are right in the fact that we needed a right footed, right winger like Wade Elliott for instance.

But Cornet has stood out for us as the only player who can shoot in the team. A sad reflection on the others maybe.
These 2 users liked this post: SalouClaret BabylonClaret

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 12:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Know exactly how you feel-its hit me this morning too

Zlatan

Post by Zlatan » Mon May 23, 2022 12:13 pm

Life’s 3 choices – Accept it, Change it, or Leave it

https://motivation.thequotes.net/lifes- ... -leave-it/

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2876 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 12:14 pm

Frightened and depressed… I expected more yesterday, staying up was far better than trying to get back up with so much uncertainty around the place. Felt the club could push past this season and build… now I fear we are heading to years of struggle. Hope I’m wrong, but I don’t yet see any light at the end of this tunnel for quite some time.

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Mon May 23, 2022 12:17 pm

Some people need to get other interests away from Burnley football club, it makes life far more interesting and less stressful

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Mon May 23, 2022 12:26 pm

BabylonClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 11:45 am

If what has been alluded to on here is accurate, then Cornet wasn't signed by Dyche, hence not knowing how best to utilise him.

Stu
Been Liked: 18 times

Post by Stu » Mon May 23, 2022 12:34 pm

Depressed and angry .
1 at the performance yesterday and 2 at the financial black hole the club now finds itself in and whoever you blame Garlick/ALK and Pace it’s going to be very difficult for a club our size to overcome it .

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 12:36 pm

Herts Clarets wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:26 pm
If what has been alluded to on here is accurate, then Cornet wasn't signed by Dyche, hence not knowing how best to utilise him.
And I think that's really the problem. The choice of player (exciting as he was) wasn't actually what we needed (and worryingly we were after another similar in January).

Having said that if he's up for a go at the Championship (as we don't pimp him out to balance the books) then he could do well up front - defenders and keeper are slower so his chances that are harder in the Prem as a forward are easier to take

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Mon May 23, 2022 12:56 pm

It will take me a while to get my head around that flabbergasting showing yesterday. Jackson got it wrong before a ball was kicked. Tactically we were all over the place and it became more of a mess as the game wore on. We didn't show any composure from the first whistle and a good few looked completely off the pace. The pressure was clearly too much on the day and collectively we froze. We never looked like getting anything out of the game. My over-riding emotion yesterday was disbelief at what I saw on the pitch.

As for the relegation itself, it's been a long time coming and it feels every bit as **** as I expected it to be. Financially I think we are in a really dangerous place and I honestly don't have any confidence in the owners. I think they're miles out of their depth and don't know what they're doing.

Absolutely massive few months ahead, but I fear a lot of the damage is already done and a good amount of our fate is already sealed. We have to do our best to get a good manager in place, sharpish, and then try and assemble a team that can compete next season.

If we can stabilise the playing side and finish around mid-table then I'd take that now. Off the pitch I have very low expectations.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 1:05 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 12:56 pm
It will take me a while to get my head around that flabbergasting showing yesterday. Jackson got it wrong before a ball was kicked. Tactically we were all over the place and it became more of a mess as the game wore on. We didn't show any composure from the first whistle and a good few looked completely off the pace. The pressure was clearly too much on the day and collectively we froze. We never looked like getting anything out of the game. My over-riding emotion yesterday was disbelief at what I saw on the pitch.

As for the relegation itself, it's been a long time coming and it feels every bit as **** as I expected it to be. Financially I think we are in a really dangerous place and I honestly don't have any confidence in the owners. I think they're miles out of their depth and don't know what they're doing.

Absolutely massive few months ahead, but I fear a lot of the damage is already done and a good amount of our fate is already sealed. We have to do our best to get a good manager in place, sharpish, and then try and assemble a team that can compete next season.

If we can stabilise the playing side and finish around mid-table then I'd take that now. Off the pitch I have very low expectations.
Agree with all of this, especially the bit about the owners.

Come on, Mr. Pace, prove us wrong.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 1:07 pm

Feels like the CFS is going to have to last another 50 years

burnley007
Been Liked: 630 times
Has Liked: 667 times

Post by burnley007 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:15 pm

I live in Newcastle.

Imagine my life this morning!!

(I am actually much less bothered than I expected. I was becoming more and more disolussioned with the Prem ier League, all I ever did was whinge, so hopefully it'll be a blessing!)

People keep asking if we'll come straight back up, I then point out we have no manager and loads of players leaving, so no idea!

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 854 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Mon May 23, 2022 1:19 pm

Immensely disappointed but feels like a weight has been lifted in a weird way. Weeks of affected sleep and so much time spent on different permutations has added up. From feeling like we were absolutely buried after Norwich, to the mini revival then to today is hard to articulate. We need a monumental summer to bounce straight back.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon May 23, 2022 1:41 pm

Not as bad as I thought tbh. Kind of a relief that we have the chance to do a reset without having to spend 40-50k each on wages which could have been a problem. There is a LOT to sort out.

Just watched MOTD and jeez what on earth was Collins doing? And Canos as well, what a berk!

Imagine if Weghorst had have converted his chance and then Leeds score in 90+4 against only 9 men, I'd have been beyond fuming

As it is, looking forward to what the future brings, the last 2 seasons have been pretty grim

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Mon May 23, 2022 1:46 pm

After Brentford, I resigned myself to we were going down, after AV Thursday I was just nervous excitement in that we had put ourselves in with a good chance right up to kick off. First hour of the game yesterday, totally annoyed, wondering where the famous fight was along with the minimum requirement is maximum effort, perplexed for the next 30 minutes wondering why didn't we play like this from the kick off, has the penny just dropped? Numb, I think when Leeds second went in, immediately followed by acceptance, had brunch organized with the family immediately after the game, they'd accepted if we lost/relegated we wouldn't talk about football, ignored coming here until now.

Now I've accepted it, I'm always optimistic with a sense of realism, which has now settled, so now curious as to who goes, who comes, who will be our manager, mixed with hope that we have a very good season to come and a quick return.

We're all in this together.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon May 23, 2022 1:46 pm

Just looked at the stats and Leeds have gained 9 extra points from injury time goals this season. Ridiculous!

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon May 23, 2022 1:50 pm

Disappointed of course.
But also resigned to the fact that we weren't going to make it even though there
was a brief moment when Brentford equalised and we got one back when I thought
we might just do it.

But alas it wasn't to be.

Still the umbilical cord hasn't been cut and I shall still support the Clarets
be it from afar and hope there's a new dawn to come.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 1:51 pm

Ric_C wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 1:46 pm
Just looked at the stats and Leeds have gained 9 extra points from injury time goals this season. Ridiculous!
While we have gained… 0.

Claret
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 655 times

Post by Claret » Mon May 23, 2022 1:52 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:38 am
Warks, it would probably be surprising a few years back that some aren’t bothered but how bad has top level football actually become for some fans to think like this now?