Premier League sucking the joy out of football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
northeastclaret
Been Liked: 307 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Premier League sucking the joy out of football

Post by northeastclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 9:43 am

I was surprised, but shouldn’t have been, by Newcastle playing the normal premier league gamesmanship even though the match wasn’t crucial to them.

Time wasting starts at the beginning of every match now for the underdogs and Newcastle started as soon as they scored.

Then the frustration of referees doing very little about it, including allowing teams who score to celebrate as long as they want.

The practice of six foot strapping centre halves collapsing to the ground when they have the ball under pressure and are touched with a feather.

Players picking the ball up and running away with it when their team have conceded a free kick. Referees allowing them to do it every time.

So many other practices referees no longer penalise in accordance with the laws. Very rare to book for simulation now outside the penalty area. Allowing keepers to keep the ball in their arms as long as they want. Foul throws are rarely given .

Pope has often been impeded when kicking the ball out of his arms but not once has a free kick been given.

The inconsistency of how VAR is applied. One bad referee is enough but now we have two bad refs who at their discretion can ignore Docourie dragging back Tarks in the box, ignore Vydra getting punched in the head but then delight in spotting a handball against Barnes.

We are all very familiar with how VAR sucks the spontaneous joy out goals.

I could go on, but these practices are getting worse. I watch a lot of non league football and some are starting to even peculate down to that level

But seems that it’s the premier league that nurtures and through their coverage publicise to school kids as well these frustrating practices.

They are certainly sucking so much of the joy out of the game we love. I know we can enjoy them when it’s Burnley that’s winning, but overall it’s killing the joy of football for everyone isn’t it?

Sadly some are becoming prevalent in the championship, but looking forward to some slightly more honest proper football, than these premier league premi-donas with the arrogant refs.
and no VAR.