REPORT: Devastating Final Day

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

REPORT: Devastating Final Day

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 23, 2022 4:42 pm

Burnley v Newcastle report

See link
https://www.uptheclarets.com/devastating-final-day
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Cirrus_Minor

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: REPORT: Devastating Final Day

Post by evensteadiereddie » Mon May 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Thanks, Tony.

onewillieirvine
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 96 times

Post by onewillieirvine » Mon May 23, 2022 4:54 pm

Well done CT, not an easy one to do. 228 games and 68 wins ( I think) It takes some getting used to the fact we won't be adding to that tally, for a season at least.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon May 23, 2022 4:55 pm

The report title sums it up perfectly.

Goddy
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 689 times

Post by Goddy » Mon May 23, 2022 4:58 pm

A very poignantly written piece, that, Tony.

What a difficult afternoon it was for us all. I've never been so nervous before a game and seemed to me the players were just as nervous. Don't know about you, but the whole atmosphere at the ground was odd. OK, I get that the circumstances were strange, to, but still seemed the weirdest atmosphere I've experienced watching the Clarets.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 5:00 pm

Probably the most disappointing thing for me was that we knew exactly what was at stake, and
didn't really turn up.

Really poor performance.
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies Dark Cloud Pickles tiger76

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:01 pm

Thanks Tony.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon May 23, 2022 5:01 pm

A lot of potential changes but only about 9 weeks to get a manager and backroom staff in and bolster the squad (if we can) before our opening game around July 30th

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 23, 2022 5:06 pm

onewillieirvine wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 4:54 pm
Well done CT, not an easy one to do.
Someone once told me that I write best when I'm emotional but not this one. It was difficult what to write.
These 4 users liked this post: onewillieirvine longsidepies NewClaret GaryClaret

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 5:15 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:00 pm
Probably the most disappointing thing for me was that we knew exactly what was at stake, and
didn't really turn up.

Really poor performance.
The stage was set for a poor performance with the completely wrong starting 11 and tactics

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 23, 2022 5:19 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:15 pm
The stage was set for a poor performance with the completely wrong starting 11 and tactics
I mentioned it but what I really didn't understand was starting with two players in positions they've not occupied all season.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:15 pm
What are your thoughts on that?

I’m torn. On the one hand I think St Max, Wilson & Almiron are a handful and I’d have hated to see them vs a flat back four.

In the end it was an unimaginable error that broke us, Pope was untroubled otherwise. Had we got through to HT at 0-0 I don’t think the result would have been the same.

The second was poor defending. We should have taken St Max out earlier in the move, Tarky stood off & Taylor didn’t track Wilson having got caught up field. I forget who gave the ball away.

Then I thought we were unlucky not to get an equaliser but was pleased in the end that Leeds scored so I didn’t have to rue Weghorst missing the open net!
Last edited by NewClaret on Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

gawthorpe_view
Been Liked: 1356 times
Has Liked: 2917 times

Post by gawthorpe_view » Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 pm

MOTD spliced the Burnley and Leeds games together showing them 'as it happened '.
That made it even more painful to watch.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Good even handed report. Think the thing that sickens me most is that we had so many chances to haul ourselves out of trouble, but were so un-Burnley like spurning opportunity after opportunity as though we believed it was no longer a case of fight but entitlement that would keep us up. We too rarely showed our firm chin and when we did it was over exposed, like a fighter on the ropes unwilling or unable to land blows on the opposition.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon May 23, 2022 5:24 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:19 pm
I mentioned it but what I really didn't understand was starting with two players in positions they've not occupied all season.
Yet Jackson said afterwards “we knew exactly how the game would go and it did” I couldn’t quite work that comment out with our set up. Such a shame I thought we’d really get at them from the off.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon May 23, 2022 5:26 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:21 pm
What are your thoughts on that?

I’m torn. On the one hand I think St Max, Wilson & Almiron are a handful and I’d have hated to see them vs a flat back four.

In the end it was an unimaginable error that broke us, Pope was untroubled otherwise. Had we got through to HT at 0-0 I don’t think the result would have been the same.

The second was poor defending. We should have taken St Max out earlier in the move, Tarky stood off & Taylor didn’t track Wilson having got caught up field. I forget who gave the ball away.

Then I thought we were unlucky not to get an equaliser but was pleased in the end that Leeds scored so I didn’t have to rue Weghorst missing the open net!
As CT alluded to in his report, I thought to try Collins at RB and Roberts at RM for the first time this season, in such a big game that we needed to win, was a mistake.

Not only did it leave them out of their usual positions, it also lost the McNeil / Roberts link up which has been our biggest threat in recent games. It also left Barnes / Cornet up front with neither of them good enough at linking play. Then there’s McNeil being shunted back to the left where he’s struggled all season, up against a very fine defender in Tripps.

It had to be either the same system and shape as in the previous two, or 4-4-2 but with Cornet left, McNeil right and WW up there with Barnes.
This user liked this post: Pickles

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon May 23, 2022 5:29 pm

A good and understandably doleful report - thanks.
Odd formation and line-up, a disastrous mistake for the penalty, defence went awol for the 2nd goal but the rot set in a long time ago epitomised by the signing of Stephens.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Mon May 23, 2022 5:34 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:
MOTD spliced the Burnley and Leeds games together showing them 'as it happened '.
Fair play to you. I can’t bring myself to watch it.
These 2 users liked this post: gawthorpe_view mybloodisclaret

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon May 23, 2022 5:41 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
didn't really turn up.

Really poor performance.
I'll also add to that that Newcastle had little to play for, but were still prepared to play their part properly and professionally and unfortunately Brentford, after an excellent season, chose to wear the flip flops which really didn't help our cause. The fact is that we'd worked so hard to get it back into our hands and had we performed anywhere near what we're capable of we'd have been fine and that will always be the saddest thing about yesterday.

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Mon May 23, 2022 5:45 pm

ElectroClaret wrote:
didn't really turn up.

Really poor performance.
Yep. In our own hands and we turned in a pathetic, turgid, limp, AWOL performance in line with the ones at home against Norwich and at home against Watford.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon May 23, 2022 5:45 pm

gawthorpe_view wrote:
It was a truly awful watch because it then became clear (which obviously it wasn't when we were at the Turf) just how much Brentford's slackness contributed to Leeds survival. I just wish they'd been that generous/crap when we went there the other month.
This user liked this post: gawthorpe_view

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm

Good report.

I spent the day at the beach and turned my phone off due to me being grumpy and short with the kids and taking the edge off what should’ve been a lovely day. I have never felt as low about football as I have this season and that’s led me to step away a bit. Hopefully I’ll refresh over the summer.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon May 23, 2022 6:07 pm

First off I feel sorry for MJ and his staff. They were literally thrown under a bus by by Pace when he ludicrously fired Dyche on the Friday following defeat at Norwich. He had two choices. Fire him
Immediately after the game and have a new Manager on the wings or give him to the end of the season. But no he clearly acted in haste and had no option but to ask MJ to take over for one game. Well guess what. MJ performed miracles. Way beyond what I and most others expected. So well did he do that despite injuries etc come the last game we were favs to stay up. Sadly we did not
Pace was within a whisker of pulling off a miracle but his luck ran out and we were relegated
So what now Mr Chairman. Do you have a plan ? Do you understand football ? Do you get Burnley ? I very much doubt you do. Barry Kilby and Bob Lord got Burnley. I wonder if you have sat down with Barry. I certainly would have done
From across the pond in your native land I cannot see what you can offer our club. Money ? Experience ? Man Management ? PR with the fans ? Nope I thought not. If you are to succeed you will need the full backing of the players management and the supporters. I would suggest the honeymoon period is over.
These 2 users liked this post: k90bfc Stayingup

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Mon May 23, 2022 7:12 pm

Thanks for the report Tony and indeed all the reports you do throughout the season.

My very first season introduced to the Clarets at six years of age we were relegated.

Fast forward 43 years, does it get any easier to take? No I'm still devastated even though I have spent a majority of the season thinking we'd go down.

It's been an amazing time these last 6 or 7 years following the Clarets and today it's hard to see it being replicated again.

But, I never thought way back we'd escape Division Four, play at Wembley, win at Wembley, beat Rovers, win at Chelsea, Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal, see my club in Europe and not in a pre-season friendly.

Apart from a major trophy I've seen my club achieve everything I had only hoped for.

Am I devastated, yes I love the club and only want the best for it.

Am I proud, damn right I am.
These 2 users liked this post: GaryClaret simonclaret

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 193 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Mon May 23, 2022 8:29 pm

Thanks CT as ever for your reports……..love reading them.

I’m no football knowledge, just a fan…….but the club has been stale for the last couple of seasons…….when the dust settles………maybe just maybe we’ll be back again, excited for the new season……

But for now……….disappointment that the journey with Tarks, Pope is at that junction.

Looking forward to your next report CT the week before the new season…!!!
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

clansman
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by clansman » Mon May 23, 2022 8:40 pm

Relegations are always devastating. I can’t watch any football at the moment it’s just too painful!
76 was bad and yesterday reminded me of the final day in 82? Crystal Palace away, we had to win. We had been brilliant in the cups and hoped we could raise our game again. But no an abject performance and down we went.
Jackson had done so well until yesterday but the team and tactics didn’t match!
Never mind , thousands dying in wars or of famine across the world. Football is a game .A special game but not the most important thing in life!
We will be back!!
UTC

bodge
Been Liked: 725 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by bodge » Mon May 23, 2022 8:40 pm

My view is that he changed formation to stop St.Maximin, by pushing Roberts up to engage him further up the pitch with Collins as back up behind him.

Didn't work and we should have set up as others have said with Dwight on the right where he has been more effective recently.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue May 24, 2022 6:12 pm

Think it would have been easier to accept had we been relegated earlier. It’s the hope on the last day and having put ourselves in a good position. The false information about Brentford going 2-1 up and the final 20 minutes were excruciating. Never felt so flat leaving the ground.I’ll never understand why the decision to sack Dyche was left so late but Mike Jackson did his best under the circumstances. A dreadful season.

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Tue May 24, 2022 9:37 pm

I think we need to commend the tremendous effort by MJ, his staff (including Mee & Bardsley) & the team, coming back from the dead to the brink of survival.
Maybe changes should have been made earlier, maybe no changes should have been made, we will never know.
The team needed strengthening at the start of the season, not midseason though. We were also short on one or two more incomings.

Still gutted & curious how things will pan out in the near future
This user liked this post: k90bfc