Strange points from Sunday.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Re: Strange points from Sunday.

Post by Somethingfishy » Tue May 24, 2022 4:11 pm

I said at the time of the PA announcement that 3 minutes was nowhere near enough...daughter then said they said 5. Pretty sure it was 3. We argued then and now i feel like i wasn't going crazy with others saying they heard 3. Daughter is still adamant they said 5. :D
This user liked this post: Zlatan

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue May 24, 2022 4:29 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:57 pm
I was listening on Clarets+ and BBC Sport. There was 5 mins added. I also heard announcement say 3 mins, which was a mistake.
yes, Clarets+ stated 5 minutes - the board stated 3 minutes (my recollection from the CFS) I did check the footage again which meant that in addition to the 7 minutes 2 seconds already counted in this thread, there is an additional 1 minute 20 seconds for Cornet injury (where Lascelles should have had a yellow at least) and another 50 seconds for Roberts injury - that I had no idea about in the ground but Phil Bird thought Guimarães had elbowed Roberts and on the replay he certainly puts his forearm in Roberts face and it should have been a red card for me - I have no idea why that didn't go to VAR.
roberts.JPG
roberts.JPG (43.31 KiB) Viewed 554 times
So back to timekeeping - that's a total of 9 minutes 12 seconds in stoppages that I timed and yet only 5 minutes 9 seconds were played. You may well argue (accurately for us perhaps) that we wouldn't have scored in a month of Sundays, but the truth is, it is possible to score more than a goal in the 4 minutes we lost due to back time keeping, and at the time we were looking threatening towards the end of the half.

Time keeping needs to be more accurate.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue May 24, 2022 5:11 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:53 pm
Lots of ifs and buts. However the only certainty is we will be playing Championship next season. Tbh it should never have come down to that last day. Newcastle were bottom in December and had 0 wins in 14. We were second bottom. Newcastle recognized the problem and dealt with it. We did nothing until it was too late. Even then we made strange ( and cheap) decisions. MJ did way better than anybody could have expected but 1 point from the last 4 games tells you all you need to know. Missed pen at WHU and dubious pen at Spurs cost us big time. Overall we deserved to go down. Garlick and Pace should be hanging their heads in shame. Both carry a lot of the blame A bigger worry for me is lack of money / revenue/ players next season
You're dead right and I posted on another thread that whatever we all thought about events to the Turf (and at Brentford) on Sunday, 7 wins in a 38 game season really shouldn't ever be good enough to keep a team up and we weren't just guilty of being poor on Sunday, we were guilty of being poor far, far too often. Coupled with that we've had several seasons where our paper thin squad has remained almost entirely injury free and had very little disruption (to the point where Dyche's team sheets were the most predictable in any league anywhere!) but this season injuries at key times, to key players has really cost us dear. Ben Mee being probably the biggest one. And I honestly think Lowton would have played RB Sunday if he'd been available with Roberts ahead of him and that would have been much better, but again MJ's hands were sadly tied.
These 2 users liked this post: Zlatan k90bfc

what_no_pies
Been Liked: 495 times
Has Liked: 98 times

Post by what_no_pies » Tue May 24, 2022 10:37 pm

Took them 4 mins 30 to sort Joelinton out. 30 seconds should be added for the sub. VAR decision. Cornet injury and ref was waving Dubravka on numerous times even in the first half so had obviously cottoned on to their time wasting.

5 minutes stoppage time at the end of the first half was a farce. Should have been at least 8.

Sadly it wouldn't have made a blind but of difference - but it might have made a difference if the ref actually tried to control the game and not let Newcastle do so for the duration. That cost us far more time than anything.

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Tue May 24, 2022 10:49 pm

what_no_pies wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 10:37 pm
Took them 4 mins 30 to sort Joelinton out. 30 seconds should be added for the sub. VAR decision. Cornet injury and ref was waving Dubravka on numerous times even in the first half so had obviously cottoned on to their time wasting.

5 minutes stoppage time at the end of the first half was a farce. Should have been at least 8.

Sadly it wouldn't have made a blind but of difference - but it might have made a difference if the ref actually tried to control the game and not let Newcastle do so for the duration. That cost us far more time than anything.
I timed it all from the replay on Clarets+ to more than 9 minutes. As said above - A lot of football can happen in 4 minutes - don’t forget Utd won in 1999 after going into injury time 1-0 down, 2 goals in 2 minutes

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Tue May 24, 2022 11:50 pm

Zlatan wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:29 pm
I had no idea about in the ground but Phil Bird thought Guimarães had elbowed Roberts and on the replay he certainly puts his forearm in Roberts face and it should have been a red card for me - I have no idea why that didn't go to VAR.
Not only that incident, but I think it was not long after that that he goes and deliberately drags one of our lads to the ground. How he doesn't even have a single yellow is astounding.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm

Another strange thing.

How come no Burnley player that I can think of, has ever bleached their hair?
That's why we are relegated I tell ya.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed May 25, 2022 1:56 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 1:42 pm
Another strange thing.

How come no Burnley player that I can think of, has ever bleached their hair?
That's why we are relegated I tell ya.
It may not be bleached, but Jayrod still looks a dic*!

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Wed May 25, 2022 2:07 pm

AwayClaret wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:37 pm
The Brentford game starting that second half late is definitely dodgy though.
Not sure about the "legality" of delaying the kick-off, but tbh, I thought that that was a sensible decision.
It's best that both matches should run at exactly the same time so far as possible, in order to try to avoid one match finishing minutes ahead of the other.
Had we played the correct amount of stoppage time in both halves we could quite easily have ended up playing for 10 minutes at the end already knowing the Brentford result.