Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 25, 2022 10:33 am

Hi All,

As has been pointed out on other threads, the close season is a lot shorter this year due to the World Cup, and with everything the way the club is at the moment, this window will either be very quiet or a mass of activity in brining in hot prospects from lower leagues. But first of all we need a manager, and a retained list which is due out imminently may show where we need to be looking. I know the dust has still not settled from roller coaster ride we have just been through, but love it or hate it, think it is time we pool resources and links as we start to see how the next 10 weeks shape our future in management, back room staff, and playing staff, and more importantly the future of BFC.
This user liked this post: tiger76

ClaretAL

Re: Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 25, 2022 10:42 am

From what I can see and please correct if its wrong this is the current state of play for the squad, just to look back on for historical purposes.

Out of contract this summer: Ben Mee, Jack Cork (one year option), Ashley Barnes (one-year option), James Tarkowski, Aaron Lennon, Phil Bardsley, Matej Vydra, Dale Stephens

2023: Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Matt Lowton, Kevin Long, Ashley Westwood, Nick Pope (one-year option), Wayne Hennessey (one-year option)

2024: Jay Rodriguez, Dwight McNeil (one-year option), Josh Brownhill (one-year option), Bailey Peacock-Farrell (one-year option), Charlie Taylor

2025: Nathan Collins (one-year option), Connor Roberts, Wout Weghorst

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 25, 2022 10:56 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:42 am
From what I can see and please correct if its wrong this is the current state of play for the squad, just to look back on for historical purposes.

Out of contract this summer: Ben Mee, Jack Cork (one year option), Ashley Barnes (one-year option), James Tarkowski, Aaron Lennon, Phil Bardsley, Matej Vydra, Dale Stephens

2023: Johann Berg Gudmundsson, Matt Lowton, Kevin Long, Ashley Westwood, Nick Pope (one-year option), Wayne Hennessey (one-year option)

2024: Jay Rodriguez, Dwight McNeil (one-year option), Josh Brownhill (one-year option), Bailey Peacock-Farrell (one-year option), Charlie Taylor

2025: Nathan Collins (one-year option), Connor Roberts, Wout Weghorst
Erik Pieters out of contract too and Will Norris another year.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/players/squad-list

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Post by bumba » Wed May 25, 2022 10:58 am

I hope Pieters signs another year, if him and Mee sign then I don't believe we need to sign a defender this window if we keep the rest.
If we get Barnes tied down to another year and keep Wout I think we'd save money up front if we give Richardson a chance. Leaves just midfield to concentrate on but I'd like Lennon to have another year in championship

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 25, 2022 11:14 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:56 am
Erik Pieters out of contract too and Will Norris another year.

https://www.uptheclarets.com/players/squad-list
Cheers Tony, good spot.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 25, 2022 11:20 am

bumba wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:58 am
I hope Pieters signs another year, if him and Mee sign then I don't believe we need to sign a defender this window if we keep the rest.
If we get Barnes tied down to another year and keep Wout I think we'd save money up front if we give Richardson a chance. Leaves just midfield to concentrate on but I'd like Lennon to have another year in championship
Good shout on Richardson bumba. I believe Dyche had him earmarked for the season just finished but we hardly saw him in the u23s because of injury.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed May 25, 2022 11:25 am

I'd keep Mee (two years), Pieters (one year) and Barnes (one year - but only on the basis of what's happening with Weghorst. If he's going to stay, I would release Barnes).

Lennon has done OK this season for me, but it's time to move on in my opinion. We need some youth in the wide right area, with Gudmundsson a backup when fit.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Wed May 25, 2022 11:26 am

bumba wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 10:58 am
We need a clearout, it hasnt just been the midfield that isnt good enough.If we keep giving contracts to the likes of Barnes and Lennon and Pieters the problem of aging , slow, injury prone players just gets kicked down the road for another year. We need hungry up and coming players, not journeymen after one last payday

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 25, 2022 11:28 am

It would be interesting of those who have spent considerably more time then me an probably others around the U23 who could potentially step up. From the matches I have seen Glennon, Dodgson, Helm, Mancini, Costello, Tucker, Richardson and Thompson, all seemed to play consistently well, but this was only in the matches I watched streamed on you tube, but I know others have seen a lot more of them.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 25, 2022 11:32 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:28 am
It would be interesting of those who have spent considerably more time then me an probably others around the U23 who could potentially step up. From the matches I have seen Glennon, Dodgson, Helm, Mancini, Costello, Tucker, Richardson and Thompson, all seemed to play consistently well, but this was only in the matches I watched streamed on you tube, but I know others have seen a lot more of them.
Some of those players have done well - Dodgson, Helm & Costelloe are probably the three I’d pick out from that list - but it’s a big jump from PL2 to first team football, even more so if we lose Cat 1.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed May 25, 2022 12:00 pm

Some of the older players mentioned above would be perfect in the Championship but, if we are promoted, would be a year older and not good enough for a new start in the PL. A balance has to be found somehow.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed May 25, 2022 12:50 pm

Readers need to know we are not a charity-less so now we have lost a significant amount from Sky. To go-Pieters, Bardsley, Stephens, Barnes, Lennon, Vydra,. Listen to sensible offers for Nick Pope. Try to move on JBG and Long, and save two key wages. Try to keep Ben but give him a time scale and not until the window closes. Try to retain Maxwell and VW at least until the January window-they may both hit it off in the Championship and their values (currently low now) will rise.Believe Cork is staying
These 2 users liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin BFCmaj

Gibbo
Been Liked: 24 times
Has Liked: 66 times

Post by Gibbo » Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm

Vydta in talks on a new 2 year deal
https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ct-3707927

Shaggy
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Shaggy » Wed May 25, 2022 1:00 pm

Gibbo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm
Vydra is the main one we should be keeping. Has proven he can rip up the championship and is a good foil for WW

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed May 25, 2022 1:14 pm

Gibbo wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:51 pm
I’d be happy with this. Yes he’s out until November / December but a fully fit and firing Vydra in the Championship would be a real asset.

JR1882
Been Liked: 161 times

Post by JR1882 » Wed May 25, 2022 1:19 pm

Be great if Vydra stayed, think Dyche was a red line for him. Thought his move to MLS was a done deal though.

Assuming the financial status isn’t a total disaster, with regards to Pope and McNeil we are in a position of strength with their contract length and options.

I’d release Barnes if Vyds or WW stay.

I’d try move JG on, he can play enough games in the prem theirs no way he’s fit for even 25 games of a 46 game season.

Bardo, Tarks, Stephens probably frees up £100k a week. I’d add lennon to that too just from a freshen up point of view.

Pieters stays for me, he’s so reliable. Defence doesn’t need touching for me and if Jay WW and MV are up top that’s fine too.

Replace cornet, a wide right player and a centre mid to challenge cork and Brownhill and I think we are in reasonable nick to be honest.
These 2 users liked this post: Gibbo tiger76

Sleeping Cat
Been Liked: 164 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Sleeping Cat » Wed May 25, 2022 1:40 pm

Keep
Ben Mee,
Jack Cork
Matej Vydra

Let Go
Aaron Lennon
Phil Bardsley
Dale Stephens

Undecided
Ashley Barnes

No Choice
James Tarkowski
This user liked this post: Quicknick

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 2:02 pm

I think Wout, Jay and Vyds will all score heavily at Championship level.

Barnes I think will score but would like to start bringing through some younger/faster strikers, so would certainly re-sign him but probably not if Vyds/Wout stay. Richardson needs to get more opportunities and that Brazilian lad seems a good finisher.

I’d love to keep Wout, Mee, Pieters, Cork & Vyds. Do that and we’re largely good.

Lennon I’d like to keep as we’ve got to assume Dwight and certainly Cornet will be poached. I’d love to see us add Jed Wallace on a free (not sure he’s Prem quality but would be a great addition at this level). We need a creative midfielder too.

Beyond that it depends on outgoings.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:02 pm
I think Wout, Jay and Vyds will all score heavily at Championship level.

Barnes I think will score but would like to start bringing through some younger/faster strikers, so would certainly re-sign him but probably not if Vyds/Wout stay. Richardson needs to get more opportunities and that Brazilian lad seems a good finisher.

I’d love to keep Wout, Mee, Pieters, Cork & Vyds. Do that and we’re largely good.

Lennon I’d like to keep as we’ve got to assume Dwight and certainly Cornet will be poached. I’d love to see us add Jed Wallace on a free (not sure he’s Prem quality but would be a great addition at this level). We need a creative midfielder too.

Beyond that it depends on outgoings.
I honestly can’t see any of them getting close to twenty goals. But I guess if they all get ten it’s probably going to be enough.

bumba

Post by bumba » Wed May 25, 2022 2:25 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 11:20 am
Good shout on Richardson bumba. I believe Dyche had him earmarked for the season just finished but we hardly saw him in the u23s because of injury.
He's one I believe we have high hopes for if we don't being him in this year and we was to go back up then when would he get his chance, some of the U23's have got there best chance of making it this season.
Have you seen much of Costelloe CT?
He's one I've heard good reviews about especially his speed but I've never seen him play, if he's half decent with pace he could be a great impact sub next season

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed May 25, 2022 2:31 pm

bumba wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:25 pm
He's one I believe we have high hopes for if we don't being him in this year and we was to go back up then when would he get his chance, some of the U23's have got there best chance of making it this season.
He's one I've heard good reviews about especially his speed but I've never seen him play, if he's half decent with pace he could be a great impact sub next season
From what I’ve seen of Richardson he reminds me very much of Ings in terms of his build, pace (not extremely quick, but has that half a yard) and the way he receives the ball on the turn. Hopefully he can get fit for pre season as I’m sure with Vydra out and Barnes perhaps leaving, he will be in the first team - especially if we bring Kompany in as manager who has been working with youngsters at Anderlecht.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 25, 2022 2:38 pm

bumba wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:25 pm
Richardson - really impressed with what I saw of him prior to the shutdown in March 2020. Unfortunately, not seen him since because of behind closed doors and then his injuries.

As for this season, I think the players who have improved at U23 level during the season as much as any are Finlay Armstrong, Mark Helm, Ben Woods and Dara Costelloe. I've also liked the look of the left back in the youth team, Dane McCullough. But the ones I usually dare to promote tend to fall by the wayside.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed May 25, 2022 2:43 pm

My Man Utd mates still can't believe we got Mark Helm (not sure if we got him or they didn't offer him a contract tbh). They had high hopes for him

bumba

Post by bumba » Wed May 25, 2022 2:44 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:38 pm
Richardson - really impressed with what I saw of him prior to the shutdown in March 2020. Unfortunately, not seen him since because of behind closed doors and then his injuries.

As for this season, I think the players who have improved at U23 level during the season as much as any are Finlay Armstrong, Mark Helm, Ben Woods and Dara Costelloe. I've also liked the look of the left back in the youth team, Dane McCullough. But the ones I usually dare to promote tend to fall by the wayside.
I think it's got to be said that it's good we are even getting so many younger players even mentioned as a possibility to step up, it's been a while since so many at once got mentioned. It used to be one name every few years.
Has Gomez-Mancini not developed?
Fingers crossed there all given a chance during pre season. Although still a tough league the championship and anyone can beat anyone I don't think it's as strong ability wise as it used to be and don't think there's a Fulham type team who stands out as winners so if we get a strong 11 and bleed some youngsters on the bench we should do more than alrite

bumba

Post by bumba » Wed May 25, 2022 2:45 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:31 pm
From what I’ve seen of Richardson he reminds me very much of Ings in terms of his build, pace (not extremely quick, but has that half a yard) and the way he receives the ball on the turn. Hopefully he can get fit for pre season as I’m sure with Vydra out and Barnes perhaps leaving, he will be in the first team - especially if we bring Kompany in as manager who has been working with youngsters at Anderlecht.
If Vydra wanted to sign and wasn't out all season them I'd let Barnes go because JRod, Wout, Vydra and Richardson could be unstoppable in that league

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed May 25, 2022 2:49 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:04 pm
I honestly can’t see any of them getting close to twenty goals. But I guess if they all get ten it’s probably going to be enough.
Ever the optimist :lol: I’ll bookmark this one!!

I think Brownhill will get 10!

We’ll have a lot more possession and create a lot more chances next year. To be honest, I think we create pretty well in PL games - there’s rarely a game where I didn’t think we could score/had chances. Taking them isn’t our speciality, and often the difference in all our draws this year, but in an environment where we’ll open them up a lot more and against poorer keepers, I think they’ll do well.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed May 25, 2022 3:03 pm

bumba wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:44 pm
I think it's got to be said that it's good we are even getting so many younger players even mentioned as a possibility to step up, it's been a while since so many at once got mentioned. It used to be one name every few years.
Has Gomez-Mancini not developed?
Fingers crossed there all given a chance during pre season. Although still a tough league the championship and anyone can beat anyone I don't think it's as strong ability wise as it used to be and don't think there's a Fulham type team who stands out as winners so if we get a strong 11 and bleed some youngsters on the bench we should do more than alrite
I saw Anthony Gomez Mancini early in the season but he then got an injury. Have to say I saw him play in the final game and he really impressed. But really not seen enough of him.

What I have seen this season is a huge step up in the quality of opposition compared to the Cat 2 league. It would be catastrophic should we lose that.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed May 25, 2022 3:04 pm

bumba wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 2:45 pm
If Vydra wanted to sign and wasn't out all season them I'd let Barnes go because JRod, Wout, Vydra and Richardson could be unstoppable in that league
For me it was Barnes or Jay to stay, and as Jay's already signed then for me Ash has to go, we can afford a small core of experienced players, but we can't continue to hoard anymore over 30's who are only heading downwards in their ability, and more crucially fitness, I could see the argument for releasing both, but assuming Cornet is almost certainly off, and there's doubts over WW, plus Vydra won't be available until towards the end of the year, we need to keep some senior striking options at the club.

Jay and Vyds should bag a decent amount in this league, as for Richardson and Weghorst, one is an unproven quantity who's struggled to make an impact at PL level, while the other is a promising youngster who's highly regarded, but unfortunately seems to be picking up a lot of injuries.

Even if are forwards aren't prolific in the Champ. I'd hope our midfield would be able to provide a lot more goals than they have during our PL tenure, Brownhill has a decent return at this level for Bristol City, and Dwight if he stays should be aiming to bag a good number.

And if our defence keeps the amount of clean sheets I'd hope, then we may not need to be banging in goals galore like Fulham to challenge.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Wed May 25, 2022 6:46 pm

This is more creditable than other sites so good enough for me, welcome aboard Mr Kompany
ClaretTony wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:59 pm
I believe the deal is done or maybe agreed.

JonBerro
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by JonBerro » Wed May 25, 2022 7:53 pm

Potential city loans and frees

GK - Bazanu, James Trafford
Cb - Cahill? Taylor Harwood-Bellis
Cm - Swift, Seri, Mcatee
Wingers - Jed wallace, Kayky
St - Liam Delap

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Thu May 26, 2022 9:28 am

This is what HITC reckon...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/26/b ... -signings/
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.67 KiB) Viewed 33355 times

Jambo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by Jambo » Thu May 26, 2022 10:05 am

Hennessey is a significantly better keeper than BPF for starters, without even bothering to look at the new names seemingly plucked from nowhere.
These 4 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR tiger76 Quicknick Rumpelstiltskin

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Thu May 26, 2022 10:07 am

ClaretAL wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 9:28 am
This is what HITC reckon...

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/26/b ... -signings/

Capture.JPG
Proof, if ever it was needed, that HITC don't know their **** from their elbow.
These 5 users liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR Zlatan Quicknick ClaretAL Juan Tanamera

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:38 am

If people expect us to get an entire new midfield they're in for disappointment, assuming everyone bar Stephens stays we'll likely only get 1 new addition in that area, although maybe we'll look at loans to fill the gap until Westwood returns.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu May 26, 2022 10:42 am

We will need more than one new addition across the whole midfield presuming McNeil and Lennon go and with Westwood a long way off.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu May 26, 2022 10:46 am

tiger76 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:38 am
If people expect us to get an entire new midfield they're in for disappointment, assuming everyone bar Stephens stays we'll likely only get 1 new addition in that area, although maybe we'll look at loans to fill the gap until Westwood returns.
I’d be happy with swift and a loan. Or a swift loan?

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 26, 2022 10:55 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:42 am
We will need more than one new addition across the whole midfield presuming McNeil and Lennon go and with Westwood a long way off.
Ah! well yes if players leave that's a different story.

Lennon will surely be released. and there is a number of wide players available on frees, Wallace has been mentioned a lot on this forum, and he'd be a great addition for the Champ, offers goals and assists, which in the main our wide men haven't for too long.

JBG is still on our books, but I'd actually forgotten about him due to the fact we never see him in action, and it's a pity he's not one of the OOC players, because we could really do with moving him on.

Regarding McNeil I'm not sure he'll be gone this summer, he had a distinctly average season in terms of end product, and he doesn't seem to be progressing as much as many hoped.

Centre mid I assume will be Cork/Brownhill. so unless we're going to play 5 in there, it's just Stephens replacement, and perhaps someone to cover Westwood (that might be a loan signing), and don't forget someone such as Helm might emerge through the ranks.

ClaretAL

Post by ClaretAL » Thu May 26, 2022 11:23 am

We are tracking Viktor Gyokeres according to Football League world. I would love to know where they get this from when we don't have a manager in place yet to say what he wants.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/sourc ... -city-ace/

Jambo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by Jambo » Thu May 26, 2022 11:30 am

We gave Rodriguez a new contract without having a manager so it's fair to assume the manager might not have full control over recruitment, no?

Hurstclaret
Been Liked: 5 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Hurstclaret » Thu May 26, 2022 11:32 am

When does Cornets contract expire?

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Thu May 26, 2022 11:54 am

Last Sunday

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu May 26, 2022 1:46 pm

Hurstclaret wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 11:32 am
When does Cornets contract expire?
2026 according to the listing on here, but probably already ended due to ‘relegation clause’.

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1156 times
Has Liked: 1282 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu May 26, 2022 6:57 pm

Andre Gray and Danny Drinkwater released from Watford and Chelsea. Just saying

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Thu May 26, 2022 7:11 pm

Cirrus_Minor wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 6:57 pm
Andre Gray and Danny Drinkwater released from Watford and Chelsea. Just saying
Not for me, not sure the manager (whoever he is) has the time to devote to 'men children', it's already a mammoth task.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 4:39 pm

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... n-collins/

Newcastle and Leeds linked with Nathan Collins. Minimum £30m for me.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:43 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 4:39 pm
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sour ... n-collins/

Newcastle and Leeds linked with Nathan Collins. Minimum £30m for me.
For me he's one we need to retain, at least for 12 months, and his value won't diminish in that time, indeed if he plays a major role in us storming the league, then it'll likely increase.

Tell em to beggar off.
These 3 users liked this post: Taffy on the wing DCWat It Is What It Is

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri May 27, 2022 4:44 pm

£40m and a 25% sell on clause for Newcastle.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Fri May 27, 2022 5:20 pm

Orsic linked again via Will Lancaster on twitter

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 5:46 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote: