Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jojomk1
Been Liked: 855 times
Has Liked: 584 times

Re: Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:46 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:07 am
If we are loaning Man City players, I would rather it be a technical midfielder.
Cole Palmer could fit the bill in the Championship

clarethomer
Been Liked: 946 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun May 29, 2022 9:47 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:24 am
Not really mate. Remember when he said we were trying to sign Benteke, Origi and Guirassy four months ago???

All blatantly untrue.

He gets a few right but only after linking us with loads that don’t come off at all (or appear to have any truth in them).
Nixon never said we were signing Benteke and Origi

What he said was that Burnley want Benteke and Origi. It’s a small but important difference.
FBADB64E-2AFA-4AD6-A0B7-ED8C82F736C8.jpeg
FBADB64E-2AFA-4AD6-A0B7-ED8C82F736C8.jpeg (526.1 KiB) Viewed 5721 times

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 9:49 am

jojomk1 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:46 am
Cole Palmer could fit the bill in the Championship
He’d be a cheat code in this league. Problem is Pep does use him in the first team, scored in the Champs league last season. However, with them signing Haaland and Alverez, you never know!

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1576 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 10:15 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:49 am
He’d be a cheat code in this league. Problem is Pep does use him in the first team, scored in the Champs league last season. However, with them signing Haaland and Alverez, you never know!
He would dramatically improve our chances of promotion. Reminds me of when Derby somehow got Mount on loan

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3811 times
Has Liked: 1072 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 29, 2022 10:15 am

clarethomer wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:47 am

What he said was that Burnley want Benteke and Origi. It’s a small but important difference.

He's been explained this several times, still doesn't understand the difference and continues to slag off Nixon for some bizarre reason.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3607 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun May 29, 2022 10:16 am

Nixon was first to report interest in Cornet.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 10:17 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:16 am
Nixon was first to report interest in Cornet.
And Collins

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun May 29, 2022 10:38 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:15 am
He's been explained this several times, still doesn't understand the difference and continues to slag off Nixon for some bizarre reason.
Strange. It don’t believe Nixon is some kind of super journo but he gets called out a lot for doing what most journos do.

I can imagine there are loads of conversations going on between agents/clubs all the time and there will be loads of players clubs are enquiring about and trying to suss out who may be available at what cost.

When we lost Wood we weren’t expecting it- so not beyond the realms of possible that we were asking around for strikers we may be available for sale.

It therefore could be quite factual that we enquired about these players (translated to we want these players) but never had a chance of getting them.

If he was to say that Burnley will sign these players then that’s a different story.

He never said this about these players.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 29, 2022 10:43 am

clarethomer wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:38 am
Strange. It don’t believe Nixon is some kind of super journo but he gets called out a lot for doing what most journos do.

I can imagine there are loads of conversations going on between agents/clubs all the time and there will be loads of players clubs are enquiring about and trying to suss out who may be available at what cost.

When we lost Wood we weren’t expecting it- so not beyond the realms of possible that we were asking around for strikers we may be available for sale.

It therefore could be quite factual that we enquired about these players (translated to we want these players) but never had a chance of getting them.

If he was to say that Burnley will sign these players then that’s a different story.

He never said this about these players.
As you say, strange indeed. It was also reported Benteke turned us down, which would make Nixon factually correct about us wanting him.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4110 times
Has Liked: 6593 times

Post by bobinho » Sun May 29, 2022 10:56 am

The continual knocking of Nixon may well be to do with the company he keeps?

Anyway, wasn’t the managerial announcement being made yesterday?

Anyone else a little worried with the lack of progress on the manager front? I’d like whoever it’s going to be in place NOW, so he can start with retentions and replacements. Hit the ground running so to speak…

TheOriginalLongsider
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by TheOriginalLongsider » Sun May 29, 2022 10:59 am

Securing his back room staff before committing?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:07 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:26 pm
At the moment Kevin Long is our starting CB in the championship. He might see this as his chance.
Hmm! don't now if that's good or not, and if he can't command a starting place now then he never will.

Doubt he'll still be our starting CB come our 1st game, probably Collins and Mee right now, though where Harewood-Bellis fits in if he arrives we'll have to wait and see, and given we've presently got Collins, Long, Mee? and Thomas on our books, then surely one of those will be moving on, I can't see us needing 5 centre halves next season, even if we do switch to 3 at the back in certain games.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:20 am

Tom Lawrence being mooted for Celtic. Leeds and Rangers, he'd be a great free signing for us in the Champ, welsh international to boot, so maybe our Welsh contingent could put in a good word for us while on international duty.

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 151 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Sun May 29, 2022 11:27 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:20 am
Tom Lawrence being mooted for Celtic. Leeds and Rangers, he'd be a great free signing for us in the Champ, welsh international to boot, so maybe our Welsh contingent could put in a good word for us while on international duty.
I know a lot of time has passed, but my abiding memory of Lawrence is him being absolute gash for Rovers.

That said, it probably puts him up in my estimation! :)

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:32 am

tiger76 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:07 am
Hmm! don't now if that's good or not, and if he can't command a starting place now then he never will.

Doubt he'll still be our starting CB come our 1st game, probably Collins and Mee right now, though where Harewood-Bellis fits in if he arrives we'll have to wait and see, and given we've presently got Collins, Long, Mee? and Thomas on our books, then surely one of those will be moving on, I can't see us needing 5 centre halves next season, even if we do switch to 3 at the back in certain games.
Mee currently isn’t on the books for next season.

As of right now it’s Collins, Long and Thomas.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am

bobinho wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:56 am
The continual knocking of Nixon may well be to do with the company he keeps?

Anyway, wasn’t the managerial announcement being made yesterday?

Anyone else a little worried with the lack of progress on the manager front? I’d like whoever it’s going to be in place NOW, so he can start with retentions and replacements. Hit the ground running so to speak…
Not worried at all.

I heard its all done and dusted so that'll do for me

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3118 times
Has Liked: 3841 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:47 am

That’s why I said“trying to sign”.

Maybe a bit harsh with my statement they were blatantly untrue, but Benteke’s £120k pw salary made that feel highly improbable, Origi given Liverpool we’re fighting on all fronts and Klopp thinks we’re a wrestling team :lol: and Guirassy didn’t feel like a Dyche signing at all. Tenuous links at best, I’d say, and don’t think any moved.

I think in January he linked us to Dan Neil & Ramsey too, both of which didn’t come off (although I do think he was right on the latter). Think he also linked Tarks to Newcastle. Previous windows it was Albrighton & Barkley. About a month ago Carvahal as manager.

Do agree he gets a few right so must have contacts. I’d say for EFL teams he’s the best there is. But there are so many links that don’t materialise I find it hard take much seriously until it’s verified by other sources. In recent windows it seems to have been local foreign journo’s that e had the inside track on our signings.

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 674 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:59 am
Why would we sign a CB on loan to sit of the bench all season? If comes to us he will be playing so I am pretty sure it’s safe to assume one of Mee or Collins won’t be here.
….to be part of a squad. To ensure we have enough quality halves to cover for injuries, illness, suspension and loss of form. To give the manager options to play different shapes. Would it be safe to assume he won’t get much game time for Man City’s first team? Asking you because you’re the king of assumptions. If so, why couldn’t we loan with a view to a permanent deal?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 2:22 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm
….to be part of a squad. To ensure we have enough quality halves to cover for injuries, illness, suspension and loss of form. To give the manager options to play different shapes. Would it be safe to assume he won’t get much game time for Man City’s first team? Asking you because you’re the king of assumptions. If so, why couldn’t we loan with a view to a permanent deal?
Believe what you wanna believe. If you think and England u21 is going to come here and be back up in the championship that’s your prerogative

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 29, 2022 2:38 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm

Maybe a bit harsh with my statement they were blatantly untrue, but Benteke’s £120k pw salary made that feel highly improbable, Origi given Liverpool we’re fighting on all fronts and Klopp thinks we’re a wrestling team :lol: and Guirassy didn’t feel like a Dyche signing at all. Tenuous links at best, I’d say, and don’t think any moved.

I think in January he linked us to Dan Neil & Ramsey too, both of which didn’t come off (although I do think he was right on the latter). Think he also linked Tarks to Newcastle. Previous windows it was Albrighton & Barkley. About a month ago Carvahal as manager.

Do agree he gets a few right so must have contacts. I’d say for EFL teams he’s the best there is. But there are so many links that don’t materialise I find it hard take much seriously until it’s verified by other sources. In recent windows it seems to have been local foreign journo’s that e had the inside track on our signings.
Somehow you still fail to understand the difference between signed and interested in signing. He reported we were interested in Benteke to replace Wood, that was correct, it was later reported Benteke turned us down. Same thing with Ramsey, Nixon was correct, we were interested in signing him, he turned us down. Albrighton also true, he turned us down.

clarethomer

Post by clarethomer » Sun May 29, 2022 2:48 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:27 pm

But what makes it wrong in what he reported?

We may have seen those players as good replacements and had them on a list of players we had been making enquiries about. We could have wanted those players if the deal was right.

Nixon doesn’t say we will sign them? You reading his stories has you putting t 2+2 together and getting 5.

You could be right in saying that the deals were never realistic but we said that about Joe Hart with his massive wages etc. so there are examples of where we have attract players historically with wages outside our structure.

Anyway- the point is that you have to take these things at face value and that what he writes he believes to be true at the point he wrote that article.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 29, 2022 5:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:38 pm
Somehow you still fail to understand the difference between signed and interested in signing. He reported we were interested in Benteke to replace Wood, that was correct, it was later reported Benteke turned us down. Same thing with Ramsey, Nixon was correct, we were interested in signing him, he turned us down. Albrighton also true, he turned us down.
If I recall on Benteke, he reported one day that Burnley were interested, next day Benteke said he was going nowhere, then he reported that we were shunned the day after. The whole “saga” was over in 48-72 hrs. How it was concluded we were interested, I’m not sure, but given his salary was double our highest paid player, highly unlikely to materialise at best. Origi and Guirassy also mentioned in the same article and both then went quiet.

Albrighton was reported as being our main target in the summer, but he signed a three year deal pretty quickly thereafter.

Ramsey I agree we were interested as I think it was confirmed somewhere later, although he went elsewhere too.

My point is that he has a reputation for “linking” us with players we don’t actually sign, hence why I said to Newcastle that it’s likely too soon to read much in to the Harwood Bellis rumours.

I suppose it depends what you look for in your journalists. I’m not saying all his content is fictitious, just that his success rate on how much of it develops to a reality is very low. I don’t think that’s in question. If you like reading the the rumour and more tenuous interest, fair enough, it’s just not for me - I prefer the reading reports with more substance that are actually happening (mainly foreign/local journos recently). Each to their own, but sorry if my views on Nixon have offended you.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Sun May 29, 2022 5:53 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:22 pm
Believe what you wanna believe. If you think and England u21 is going to come here and be back up in the championship that’s your prerogative
For once I'm in agreement with you, why would Pep loan us players if we aren't going to give them game time, and if peeps don't realise we're soon to be under new management, and seemingly VK is much more prepared to give youth a chance than SD was.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 29, 2022 5:57 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 5:49 pm
If I recall on Benteke, he reported one day that Burnley were interested, next day Benteke said he was going nowhere, then he reported that we were shunned the day after. The whole “saga” was over in 48-72 hrs. How it was concluded we were interested, I’m not sure, but given his salary was double our highest paid player, highly unlikely to materialise at best. Origi and Guirassy also mentioned in the same article and both then went quiet.

Albrighton was reported as being our main target in the summer, but he signed a three year deal pretty quickly thereafter.

Ramsey I agree we were interested as I think it was confirmed somewhere later, although he went elsewhere too.

My point is that he has a reputation for “linking” us with players we don’t actually sign, hence why I said to Newcastle that it’s likely too soon to read much in to the Harwood Bellis rumours.

I suppose it depends what you look for in your journalists. I’m not saying all his content is fictitious, just that his success rate on how much of it develops to a reality is very low. I don’t think that’s in question. If you like reading the the rumour and more tenuous interest, fair enough, it’s just not for me - I prefer the reading reports with more substance that are actually happening (mainly foreign/local journos recently). Each to their own, but sorry if my views on Nixon have offended you.
You've clearly shown you don't understand, the other poster tried to explain and you still don't get it. Nothing much else for me to say, if a Journalist says we are interested in signing someone, it doesn't mean they were wrong if we don't end up signing that player unless the journalist claims X player is signing. Scouting departments will have a pretty long list of players we're interested in, of course we don't sign them all.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 29, 2022 6:04 pm

clarethomer wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:48 pm
But what makes it wrong in what he reported?

We may have seen those players as good replacements and had them on a list of players we had been making enquiries about. We could have wanted those players if the deal was right.

Nixon doesn’t say we will sign them? You reading his stories has you putting t 2+2 together and getting 5.

You could be right in saying that the deals were never realistic but we said that about Joe Hart with his massive wages etc. so there are examples of where we have attract players historically with wages outside our structure.

Anyway- the point is that you have to take these things at face value and that what he writes he believes to be true at the point he wrote that article.
Just replied to KRBFC, so won’t repeat myself. But to your final point I have never said that I think Nixon lies or makes stuff up (probably because his sources tell him things when it suits their agenda) just that not much he writes becomes reality for whatever reason, which affects how I view his credibility.

Talkbfc posted something he wrote the other day and quoted him as being a “tier 3” source which is pretty much how I see it.

I get that he writes for the Sun & that is a publication more aimed at rumour and gossip. And that it fills a gap in the market. I’ve just never been in to that - ringing teamtalk, etc - so just not my cup of tea. Will agree to disagree.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 29, 2022 6:23 pm

Makhtar Gueye - don’t know anything about him but just seen a link in foreign tongue (Flemish or Dutch). He plays for Oostende so an easy link.

Smile
Been Liked: 98 times

Post by Smile » Sun May 29, 2022 6:34 pm

From Nixon: Vincent Kompany is interested in bringing Man City defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis with him to Burnley. The 20 year-old is also wanted by Brentford and Celtic, but has just bought a new house in Cheshire.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 6:38 pm

Both mentioned on the previous page

adropofclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by adropofclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Morgan Gibbs White is a very good player, midfielder was on loan from Wolves at Sheff utd.
One to watch

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 6:47 pm

adropofclaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:43 pm
Morgan Gibbs White is a very good player, midfielder was on loan from Wolves at Sheff utd.
One to watch
Getting a Prem move. Southampton in for him at £20m.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Sun May 29, 2022 7:24 pm

Hopefully Scott Twine is on his way to the clarets

Smile
Been Liked: 98 times

Post by Smile » Sun May 29, 2022 7:29 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:24 pm
Off to Forest from the paper talk.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 29, 2022 7:45 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 6:38 pm
Both mentioned on the previous page
Better twice than none
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 pm

Any idea why Petr Cech is/was at Gawthorpe?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun May 29, 2022 7:59 pm

Fez wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:53 pm
Any idea why Petr Cech is/was at Gawthorpe?
The youth comp that's been on all weekend

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Sun May 29, 2022 8:01 pm

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:59 pm
The youth comp that's been on all weekend
Cheers for that!

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 29, 2022 9:28 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 7:24 pm
Twine would be a brilliant signing. Really hope we’re looking at this. He & Wallace would be fairly cheap ways to strengthen and add goals to midfield.

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 547 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon May 30, 2022 6:31 pm

Mandela Keira 20 year old Belgian defensive midfielder also linked

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:41 pm

Looks like Weghorst will be signing for Fenherbace in the next ten days.

His manager has said he’s held talks with them and it will become clear in the next 10 days
This user liked this post: Hapag Lloyd

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:41 pm

His manager has said he’s held talks with them and it will become clear in the next 10 days
He’s now followed them on Instagram. I suspect this is just a matter of time now

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Mon May 30, 2022 9:49 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:45 pm
He’s now followed them on Instagram. I suspect this is just a matter of time now
Can’t say I’m fussed - I’d have liked to have seen how he developed next season but if he moves on, so be it. Plenty I’d rather keep ahead of Weghorst.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 30, 2022 9:51 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:49 pm
Can’t say I’m fussed - I’d have liked to have seen how he developed next season but if he moves on, so be it. Plenty I’d rather keep ahead of Weghorst.
Really poor signing all round. Bad move for him and us.
This user liked this post: joey13

LlandennyClaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by LlandennyClaret » Mon May 30, 2022 9:59 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:41 pm

Link?

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:02 pm

LlandennyClaret wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:59 pm
Link?
Not sure how to link Twitter stuff. Type in Osman Cengiz or Weghorst it comes up pretty quickly.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon May 30, 2022 10:06 pm

LlandennyClaret
Been Liked: 27 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by LlandennyClaret » Mon May 30, 2022 10:06 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:02 pm
Not sure how to link Twitter stuff. Type in Osman Cengiz or Weghorst it comes up pretty quickly.
Ta. Can’t say I’d be too bothered if true.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:09 pm

LlandennyClaret wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:06 pm
Ta. Can’t say I’d be too bothered if true.
Me either tbh.
There’s better out there for less money.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Mon May 30, 2022 10:10 pm

Better be a buy and not a bloody loan.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon May 30, 2022 10:12 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:10 pm
Better be a buy and not a bloody loan.
No idea but with it being a Turkish club I would suggest a loan.

jedi_master

Post by jedi_master » Mon May 30, 2022 10:15 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 10:12 pm
No idea but with it being a Turkish club I would suggest a loan.
Yes, probably so. It’s the last bastion for ageing foreign strikers that fail in the Premier League having been panic bought in January by soon to be relegated sides.

That would be the final insult in what has proven to be a horrific transfer.