Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kenyon6923
Been Liked: 31 times

Re: Summer 2022 Burnley Transfer Window Rumours - Links - Discussion

Post by kenyon6923 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:13 am

Hipper wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:59 am
I can't get too excited about most of these proposed signings. To me anyway they are mostly unknowns, mostly no experience in first teams or The Championship, and don't look like players that can give us the capabilities to return to The Premier League at the first attempt. Couple that with the loss of the only real Premier League players we had, a manager who also has no England managerial experience and all the excitement becomes about 'potential'. Potential because of all the unknowns but once we know.....

I'm just hopeful the powers that be know what they're doing but quite frankly they have yet to show that they do.

Unfortunately a club of our size this is the only way we can rebuild, "taking a chance" with lower league players (and dont forget we could not sign a quality premier league player when we were in the top league, we were lucky if we could attract a top end championship player) and also any coming through the ranks. Our wage bill outgoings will probably be "relieved" at the 3 big outgoing players but make no mistake they were the best most consistent players at the club, par none. On the other scale we paid £12 million for a useless centre forward 6 months ago - do we keep throwing darts like that ? The manager is inexperienced no doubt but Rooney and Lampard seemed to cope with the championship and other managers in the past we never heard of at the time doing well in there like Wagner etc etc.
A club our size will find it difficult to rebuild and bounce right back, very difficult, we might sign 5-8 players which would mostly all have to work as good signings plus right now except for Cornet (if he stays) is anyone convinced there's is another current squad player that will get double figures in goals ? I'm not.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:17 am

Hipper wrote:
I can't get too excited about most of these proposed signings. To me anyway they are mostly unknowns, mostly no experience in first teams or The Championship, and don't look like players that can give us the capabilities to return to The Premier League at the first attempt. Couple that with the loss of the only real Premier League players we had, a manager who also has no England managerial experience and all the excitement becomes about 'potential'. Potential because of all the unknowns but once we know.....

I'm just hopeful the powers that be know what they're doing but quite frankly they have yet to show that they do.
As Bumba points out, a lot of what got us where we got to in this last ten years was unproven when it walked through the door.

Some people are clearly struggling to move on from the last few years and what the Dyche way became.

Our model going forwards will be to invest and nurture. We are fortunate in that we are doing it from a strong base with enough players of value to allow us to sell and reinvest immediately.

We’ve chosen a manager to front it that seems to understand what the model is and also has the pulling power to attract these young hungry players.

We’d become stale and we were stuck in a rut with a manager that didn’t trust youth nor could he attract these kind of players. Last summer was a prime example with Ryan Christie. We renewed contracts time after time and saw players diminish in value to the loot not leaving for nothing. We missed opportunities to Chas in and reinvest. A club of our size cannot work that way.

Our approach is going to be a lot different to what it has been and some signings will work and as always others won’t, however it’s going to be interesting/exciting, whichever way you want to tag it. There will be times it will be frustrating but it’s best you embrace and go with it or it’s going to be a long few years for you.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:21 am

By the way, the edit function on this site is rubbish.
These 2 users liked this post: Smile Juan Tanamera

eyebrowchicken
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by eyebrowchicken » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:25 am

When Brentford followed a similar model they were lauded as geniuses. When we try something similar we are doomed
This user liked this post: rob63

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:29 am

Hipper wrote:

Thing is, we've been relegated, and we've been relegated with some very good premier league players who unfortunately are coming to the end (or have come to the end) of their contracts, and we lack the billionaire or oil rich state to keep players happy by paying them extortionate wages

Its a rebuilding job

And we can only rebuild be buying potential and developing them, and hoping that we can build a mixture of youth and experience that can make us competitive at this level

Is it risky and might not work?

Of course it is

Have we any other choice?

No
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill rob63

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:34 am

I’m viewing this as similar to when the Coyle/Laws era was ending and we had a (in the main) ageing team (Caldwell, Carlisle, Grezza, Elliott, Iwelumo, Blake, Jordan, Kalvenes, Thompson etc etc) and needed a rebuild.

Howe didn’t do well on the pitch at Burnley, but he did the groundwork with the squad rebuild by slowly getting rid of the above players and signing Ings, Mee, Trippier, Austin, Vokes etc. the hope this time is that we have someone doing that squad rebuild whilst also delivering on the pitch. Tough ask, but it’s all we can do.

The plus is, we have players worth money in Cornet, Weghorst, Collins, McNeil and possibly Roberts which would largely drill a massive hole in the debt if we sold them all. What Kompany is doing is ensuring that should we not go up and all those players do go, we have a new set of assets worth (hopefully) considerably more than we paid for them. We need to get back to that build low/sell high way of existence as that is our only conceivable road to sustainability and getting away from reliance on the Premier League.
These 7 users liked this post: Smile RVclaret louieollie CoolClaret Rumpelstiltskin Colburn_Claret Juan Tanamera

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 am

After seeing the result of getting Trippier, Mee and Keane on loan from the bigger clubs because they didn't quite make it at those clubs, I'm quite happy to be getting promising young players from the likes of City and Arsenal. We have the experience in abundance with the players we already have so youth with potential is the perfect fit with our limited financial resources. I'm feeling very positive about next season with the possible signings so far, let's just hope VK can make it work.
These 3 users liked this post: Smile louieollie Juan Tanamera

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:50 am

arise_sir_charge wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:21 am
By the way, the edit function on this site is rubbish.
Unfortunately some posters were abusing the edit function. Starting massive arguments, then changing their original post to make others look like they started it etc..

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:54 am

Hipper wrote:

I think you've summed up the situation well there Hipper.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:57 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:54 am
I think you've summed up the situation well there Hipper.
For the negative crew yes, great summary, perfect for you.

In other news, Fabrizio Romano has confirmed we are signing Egan Riley on a permanent deal.

Looks on paper like an incredible signing given the fee.
These 5 users liked this post: Smile louieollie Quicknick BertiesBeehole Taffy on the wing

Smile
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 219 times

Post by Smile » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:59 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:57 am
In other news, Fabrizio Romano has confirmed we are signing Egan Riley on a permanent deal.
Excellent stuff. It's hard not to be pretty excited/optimistic when you see the players that are coming in. And quite surprising that most appear to be on permanent moves as well.
This user liked this post: louieollie

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:59 am

Hipper wrote:

Yeh not exciting that we are chasing a couple of youngsters who’s only experience is playing for Man City in the Orem and in the champions league.

And chasing the league 1 player of the year who almost every side in the championship is looking at buying but most can’t afford

Bringing in an Arsenal centre half with a full season under his belt playing at our level and apparently outstanding according to Millwall fans.

Linked with half a dozen more at home and across Europe

Transfer window never been as much fun and excitement for us.

We have offloaded good players who are mostly 30+ and are shaping a squad that can grow and ultimately doesn’t have to bounce back to the premier league in 1 season
These 12 users liked this post: Smile louieollie Nori1958 Barnesy Cuts Stan Tastic bumba Colburn_Claret Quicknick Juan Tanamera BertiesBeehole Taffy on the wing

Smile

Post by Smile » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:01 am

Tinribs wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:59 am
Yeh not exciting that we are chasing a couple of youngsters who’s only experience is playing for Man City in the Orem and in the champions league.

And chasing the league 1 player of the year who almost every side in the championship is looking at buying but most can’t afford

Bringing in an Arsenal centre half with a full season under his belt playing at our level and apparently outstanding according to Millwall fans.

Linked with half a dozen more at home and across Europe

Transfer window never been as much fun and excitement for us.

We have offloaded good players who are mostly 30+ and are shaping a squad that can grow and ultimately doesn’t have to bounce back to the premier league in 1 season
Yeah but apart from that... :P
These 4 users liked this post: Barnesy Firthy rob63 Juan Tanamera

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:07 am

RVclaret wrote:

You have been very negative about a poster this week who looks like he is going to be right. I think you had to apologise. So forgive me for laughing at your comment aimed in my direction.

When posters refer to know it alls on this board that is perfect for you.

There you are , we are equal now.

In other news I hope these new signings come off and in a way it does make the new season interesting and hopefully exciting.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 am

Hipper wrote:

Trust me, as someone who has spent quite a bit of time around academies if they are coming through at City, they are going to be in the top 3-5% of young players going. A new dynamic, with top technical ability and very high end athletisism.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:11 am

Signing has beens like Stephens, walters and Crouch who are only after one big pay day or signing young hungry players some of whom have come from the top academies in England if not Europe…. I know what I’d choose every day of the week. How much experience did Dwight have before getting his chance and taking it? Sometimes that’s all these lads need. I’m personally delighted that we are going after these types of players.
These 2 users liked this post: winsomeyen Juan Tanamera

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:13 am

Firthy wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:35 am
I'm feeling very positive about next season with the possible signings so far, let's just hope VK can make it work.
Me too. Assuming we don’t sell too many and bring in some of those linked, I think we’ll have a good year!

Smile

Post by Smile » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:13 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 am
Trust me, as someone who has spent quite a bit of time around academies if they are coming through at City, they are going to be in the top 3-5% of young players going. A new dynamic, with top technical ability and very high end athletisism.
If they are brilliant technically, and we can keep some of our remaining best players, who knows. We could end up playing some of the best football the Championship has seen.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Sproggy
Been Liked: 662 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:20 am

Man City are looking for their academy to produce a Phil Foden every few years. They have the cream of young talent worldwide to choose from but unfortunately unless a player is absolutely exceptional they are not going to break into a team that spends quarter of a billion quid every transfer window.

I think it's absolutely right that we look to poach from academies of the clubs at the top of the Prem. We can offer a path to first team football and an alternative route to a Premier League club for those players. It's a gamble but if we're going to risk a couple of million here and there I'd rather we spent it on the England U21 captain than the likes of Dale Stephens.
These 4 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret winsomeyen Juan Tanamera mybloodisclaret

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:22 am

Hipper wrote:

I expect Christmas bores you because you are expected to be happy

Every good player and manager you can name was unproven once. You say they have yet to show what they can do but they have not failed yet

This is the most exciting pre season for a number of years and yet there are some on here doom mongering. Why?
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Juan Tanamera

Smile

Post by Smile » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:23 am

Also, the younger players are not likely to demand the Earth in terms of wages.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:25 am

Sproggy wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:20 am
Man City are looking for their academy to produce a Phil Foden every few years. They have the cream of young talent worldwide to choose from but unfortunately unless a player is absolutely exceptional they are not going to break into a team that spends quarter of a billion quid every transfer window.

I think it's absolutely right that we look to poach from academies of the clubs at the top of the Prem. We can offer a path to first team football and an alternative route to a Premier League club for those players. It's a gamble but if we're going to risk a couple of million here and there I'd rather we spent it on the England U21 captain than the likes of Dale Stephens.
Hopefully less of a gamble considering Kompany’s close ties with and time at City. These sorts of players are hopefully a world away from your Neil Wood type signings.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:25 am

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:30 pm
Viktor Gyokeres for me - 17 last season for a pretty average Coventry side, looked great each time I saw him on TV. Swedish international (7 caps 2 goals) and only just turned 24. No idea what he would cost, but he's a clever, mobile, skilful player who is deceptively quick to say he's 6'2.
I like the look of him too. Can’t imagine we could afford what Coventry would want though. Only paid £1m for him last year I think & contracted to 2024.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:28 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:25 am
I like the look of him too. Can’t imagine we could afford what Coventry would want though. Only paid £1m for him last year I think & contracted to 2024.
I think our recruitment is now more about finding the ‘next Gyokeres / Piroe’ if you get what I mean. Rather than spending 10m+ on them now, try and pick them up first for a lower cost - Piroe was also just a 1.5m buy for Swansea last summer. Could be wrong of course but that’s what I took from Kompany’s comments on ‘not going for the more experienced pros’.

AwayClaret
Been Liked: 163 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by AwayClaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:29 am

Down_Rover wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:22 am
I expect Christmas bores you because you are expected to be happy

Every good player and manager you can name was unproven once. You say they have yet to show what they can do but they have not failed yet

This is the most exciting pre season for a number of years and yet there are some on here doom mongering. Why?
Because they are boring people who have ridiculous expectations and do not understand the mechanics of football or what it actually entails.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:30 am

RVclaret wrote:

I understand hippers view, these are some very exciting players coming through the doors.

However I still think we need some proven talent to come as well to compliment the exciting youth.

Personally that’s why I thought Wallace would have been a great option as would have Swift.

Still plenty of time for that. If Kompany can get the right blend then it will be a promising season. But I wouldn’t dismiss Hipper or Elizabeth it’s a fair view right now.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:31 am

Down_Rover wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:22 am
When I was listening to VK yesterday, I just couldn’t believe he was Burnley manager.

Whatever anyone says about experience - we’ve got a real advantage over all of our Championship competition in the buzz he can create around the club, his contacts and the players he can attract. As we saw with Ballard (otherwise going to Cov) and possibly Twine (heavily linked with Hull), if Vincent gives them a call they probably come here.

I think we’re amazingly lucky to have him, and should just get behind him!
These 7 users liked this post: AwayClaret Zlatan winsomeyen northeastclaret Juan Tanamera louieollie mybloodisclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:39 am

bumba wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:04 am
Dyche was unproven
Tarky was unproven
Ings was unproven
Mee was unproven
Trippier was unproven
Pope had only 1 season
Tarky had played almost 150 league games before signing for us, albeit most of them in divisions below. Trippier had played over 40 Championship games. Ings was a young lad so clearly inexperienced but Mee was the one with very limited experience.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:41 am

bumba wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:07 am
How do you know Richardson won't bag 20!? CT has already alluded to it that Dyche had planned to use him in the premier league last season before he got injured
I think it was such a shame that Richardson spent most of last season injured. I do believe it would have been his breakthrough season.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:42 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:30 am
I understand hippers view, these are some very exciting players coming through the doors.

However I still think we need some proven talent to come as well to compliment the exciting youth.

Personally that’s why I thought Wallace would have been a great option as would have Swift.

Still plenty of time for that. If Kompany can get the right blend then it will be a promising season. But I wouldn’t dismiss Hipper or Elizabeth it’s a fair view right now.
Don’t forget we have got ‘proven’ talent in the squad already. Rodriguez, Vydra, Brownhill, Cork, Taylor, Roberts, Hennessey, Barnes - these guys are all very good standard Championship players with bags of experience. We’ll see what other business gets done but I’d imagine he’ll still want a few more ‘experienced’ signings that can fit straight in like Cullen.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 978 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 am

jedi_master wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:34 am
I’m viewing this as similar to when the Coyle/Laws era was ending and we had a (in the main) ageing team (Caldwell, Carlisle, Grezza, Elliott, Iwelumo, Blake, Jordan, Kalvenes, Thompson etc etc) and needed a rebuild.

Howe didn’t do well on the pitch at Burnley, but he did the groundwork with the squad rebuild by slowly getting rid of the above players and signing Ings, Mee, Trippier, Austin, Vokes etc. the hope this time is that we have someone doing that squad rebuild whilst also delivering on the pitch. Tough ask, but it’s all we can do.

The plus is, we have players worth money in Cornet, Weghorst, Collins, McNeil and possibly Roberts which would largely drill a massive hole in the debt if we sold them all. What Kompany is doing is ensuring that should we not go up and all those players do go, we have a new set of assets worth (hopefully) considerably more than we paid for them. We need to get back to that build low/sell high way of existence as that is our only conceivable road to sustainability and getting away from reliance on the Premier League.
We will never know but the five months wasted at the beginning of the Championship season by keeping Laws on was a big factor in us not returning sooner than we did. If we had gone for Howe in the summer (like we are doing now with Kompany) maybe he'd have had a better chance of getting us up. Player recruitment was a big deal in 2010/11 but also the momentum drain of keeping an unpopular manager.

If we do get the majority of signings in early we are giving VK as much of a chance as is possible, he has time to work with them and probably two seasons to achieve promotion. The young players are exciting but I'd like to see a couple of additions in a similar mould to Andre Gray, somebody proven, ready and capable of tearing it up at this level now.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:43 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:41 am
I think it was such a shame that Richardson spent most of last season injured. I do believe it would have been his breakthrough season.
Let’s hope he can get fully fit again in pre season. I’m sure he’s one the club and Kompany are hoping will feature a lot this season.

halfmanhalfbiscuit
Been Liked: 130 times
Has Liked: 352 times

Post by halfmanhalfbiscuit » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 am

ClaretTony wrote:
This is a question I've wanted to ask.
Is he the next one that's got a realistic chance of coming through?
Any others?

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 517 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:31 am
When I was listening to VK yesterday, I just couldn’t believe he was Burnley manager.

Whatever anyone says about experience - we’ve got a real advantage over all of our Championship competition in the buzz he can create around the club, his contacts and the players he can attract. As we saw with Ballard (otherwise going to Cov) and possibly Twine (heavily linked with Hull), if Vincent gives them a call they probably come here.

I think this is right. VK's name, reputation and pedigree gives us an edge over most of our rivals.

I haven't seen mention of " Jon Dahl Tomasson's Blackburn " or "Michael Appleton's Blackpool " yet.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:51 am

halfmanhalfbiscuit wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:46 am
This is a question I've wanted to ask.
Is he the next one that's got a realistic chance of coming through?
Any others?
I’ve seen very little of him. Last season he had the broken leg which ruled him out and the previous season we weren’t able to go to games. But from what I’d seen of him previously, there was every reason to believe he had a chance.

I’m sure he will be working with the first team squad again and that will give him the chance.
This user liked this post: halfmanhalfbiscuit

Goody1975
Been Liked: 978 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:55 am

NewClaret wrote:

Momentum is massive for a club, Owen Coyle proved this, his team was nowhere near as good as the results in 2008/09 but the fans bought into it and helped push things along.

I feel this could be the same with VK if we start well and play a brand of football that gets everyone talking and enjoying.

No pressure then Vincent.

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Post by bumba » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:00 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:39 am
Tarky had played almost 150 league games before signing for us, albeit most of them in divisions below. Trippier had played over 40 Championship games. Ings was a young lad so clearly inexperienced but Mee was the one with very limited experience.
The players we are linked with such as Twine, Harwood-Bellis and Ballard all have similar if not more experience at championship level already than the players above.
Twine similar to tarky.
Harwood-Bellis and Ballard must have similar appearances to Trippier.
If the 3 we are linked with turn out half as good as Trippier and tarky we've found some bargains

bumba
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 192 times

Post by bumba » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:01 am

ClaretTony wrote:
He's one I'm really hoping we see given time this season, I'm excited to see how he does under a manager who wants to attack and play youngsters

Mattster
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by Mattster » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:02 am

Egan-Riley surely puts the Joel Latibeaudiere link to bed. Both are ball playing centre backs who can play wing back. Seems again, like with McNally/Ballard we looked at the options and went for the one we could get done quickly at a price we were happy with.

Promising signs, hopefully Kompany can get his system across to the players now.

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:19 am

NewClaret wrote:

I'm not sure we're "lucky" as such...Pace deserves credit for getting him here knowing what he can bring, which is clearly already evident (attracting players, press coverage, optimism etc.)
These 5 users liked this post: AwayClaret Colburn_Claret Juan Tanamera mybloodisclaret Taffy on the wing

Belial
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 320 times

Post by Belial » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:21 am

Paddy1882 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:11 am
Signing has beens like Stephens, walters and Crouch who are only after one big pay day or signing young hungry players some of whom have come from the top academies in England if not Europe…. I know what I’d choose every day of the week. How much experience did Dwight have before getting his chance and taking it? Sometimes that’s all these lads need. I’m personally delighted that we are going after these types of players.
I still chuckle in irony at the 'promotional' video when Stephens arrived

BurnleyHeff
Been Liked: 15 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by BurnleyHeff » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:29 am

Belial wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:19 am
I'm not sure we're "lucky" as such...Pace deserves credit for getting him here knowing what he can bring, which is clearly already evident (attracting players, press coverage, optimism etc.)
And potentially sponsorship
These 2 users liked this post: rob63 Belial

s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:42 am

Belial wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:19 am
Sure must have been a tougher sell after the events of the last day of the season - the Newcastle match and its consequences.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 am

bumba wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:01 am
He's one I'm really hoping we see given time this season, I'm excited to see how he does under a manager who wants to attack and play youngsters
Hopefully he gets a good pre season in and impresses in the friendly matches. No reason why he can't feature next season with Vydra injured, and only Jay Rod and Barnes ahead of him at present.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 am

Have we ever announced signings on a weekend before?

Lots of speculation saying Saturday or Sunday and even VK said in the next 24/48 hours, but I can't remember us unveiling anyone at a weekend?
Can we even register them with the football league on a weekend?

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:46 am

Hipper wrote:

What's not to like. It's an adventure at least, so whether successful or not, it will definitely be interesting.

I think the calibre of player we are looking at are probably technically as good or better than we have.
It remains to be seen whether VK can mould them into a team, which is even more important than their abilities.
The last thing they will have to learn, being so young, is the ability to roll with the blows. There are going to be games where it doesn't quite click, you have to accept that and move on, without your head dropping. Collins is a great example of an old head on very young shoulders. We need more of that grit from the new recruits.

If it takes 2 years to go back up, it wouldn't bother me. In 2 years time we might be ready to push on, as a team. If we go up this year it might be a hell of a lot harder to stay there.
This user liked this post: rob63

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:49 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 am
Have we ever announced signings on a weekend before?

Lots of speculation saying Saturday or Sunday and even VK said in the next 24/48 hours, but I can't remember us unveiling anyone at a weekend?
Can we even register them with the football league on a weekend?
Looks like Monday according to Alex James, though he said Ballard/Twine medical had been completed.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:50 am

Even I’m optimistic at what could potentially be a exciting season

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:54 am

If half of these players we are supposedly interested in come off, then VK will have already justified his salary and contract.Things are looking good for the club, and great to see we are "making investments" in young players, rather than "has beens". You never know we may unearth the next Gallagher, Reece James, Mason Mount, or Timori
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:58 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:30 am

I didn't think anyone was trying to dismiss them, just cheer them up with some positives.
It never ceases to amaze me how people can twist an intention.