Who do we need to keep

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Who do we need to keep

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:15 pm

Plenty of talk about departures, and there will be some no doubt, but which players do we need to retain to give us a decent shot at bouncing back.

For me

Brownhill
Collins
McNeil
Roberts

They are the 4 we must retain, firstly they will be our youngest 1st team regulars, I'm guessing Cornet will go, secondly they should provide us with energy and goals, along with composure on the ball in Collins and McNeil's case, and along with our experienced heads, and hopefully a few key additions, they should prove a class above at Championship level.

Cornet, Pope, and possibly Weghorst may go, but those 3 should generate enough funds between them to allow the debt to be serviced, as well as giving Kompany a small transfer budget.

And crucially all those I've listed are tied down on long term contracts, so we should be able to hold onto them for at a season, and if we don't make a swift PL return, then we can always sell them next summer worst case scenario.

You could possibly add Ben Mee to that key list, but as he's presently OOC that might be out of our hands I'm afraid.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Who do we need to keep

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu May 26, 2022 7:16 pm

Mee is essential
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Thu May 26, 2022 7:21 pm

We have to hope there’s little prem interest in the likes of Dwight , Taylor , Brownhill , Collins , Roberts , Mee . That would give a cracking base to rebuild from . We know whose going let’s just hope Pace n Co don’t gut us to service debt .

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:15 pm
Plenty of talk about departures, and there will be some no doubt, but which players do we need to retain to give us a decent shot at bouncing back.

For me

Brownhill
Collins
McNeil
Roberts

They are the 4 we must retain, firstly they will be our youngest 1st team regulars, I'm guessing Cornet will go, secondly they should provide us with energy and goals, along with composure on the ball in Collins and McNeil's case, and along with our experienced heads, and hopefully a few key additions, they should prove a class above at Championship level.

Cornet, Pope, and possibly Weghorst may go, but those 3 should generate enough funds between them to allow the debt to be serviced, as well as giving Kompany a small transfer budget.

And crucially all those I've listed are tied down on long term contracts, so we should be able to hold onto them for at a season, and if we don't make a swift PL return, then we can always sell them next summer worst case scenario.

You could possibly add Ben Mee to that key list, but as he's presently OOC that might be out of our hands I'm afraid.
Totally depends how Kompany wants to build his team. He could see a few of the regulars as not the type of player he needs

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu May 26, 2022 7:30 pm

Dwight if possible.

You need someone in the team far better than the level you are playing.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Thu May 26, 2022 7:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm
Totally depends how Kompany wants to build his team. He could see a few of the regulars as not the type of player he needs
He could indeed, but equally if he's got a limited transfer kitty wholesale changes are unlikely, not in the immediate term anyway.

It's finding that difficult balance between tweaking our squad, and more importantly starting XI, but not totally overhauling the side, as too much change at once can be unstable in itself, and any new players may take time to mould into a cohesive unit.

That's why I hope we retain the core, and build around that with some astute loan signings if needed, or perhaps snap up a few of the decent freebies that are available.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Thu May 26, 2022 8:32 pm

Mee essential. Would love McNeil to stay but I highly expect he’ll have suitors. Depends whether the club need to sell or not and what price.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Thu May 26, 2022 8:42 pm

I don't think it is so much about who we need to retain but more who will be wanted enough by prem teams to meet our demands (for those under contract) and how can we replace those that are.

I would hope we can at least retain Mee, Roberts, Taylor, Collins, Brownhill, Weghorst, Dwight in addition to Cork and Rodriguez.

I expect Pope and Cornet to be sold in addition to those we already know are leaving.

Gves us a solid base and with some additions plus a couple of our more promising U23's should see us have enough to sustain a challenge at the top.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Thu May 26, 2022 8:44 pm

Collins, Mee, Roberts the rest can all go for me.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu May 26, 2022 8:46 pm

We don't really have a choice, if prem teams come in at a reasonable price, then they'll be off

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu May 26, 2022 9:10 pm

Ben Mee then Collins Roberts Taylor and hopefully McNeil. That would be a good defence for that level and McNeil would add some quality. Anyone else is replaceable imo although Brownhill can do a job at that level as would a fit Vydra.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Thu May 26, 2022 10:51 pm

I hope you don't mind me re-- phrasing your question tiger to ' Who would I be really disappointed to see leave'
Disregarding the 2 players recently resigned and the 2 players long termed injured it would be Pope, Lowton, Taylor , Collins, Roberts, Mee, Brownhill , Cornet.
I've resigned myself to two of those named being sold.

I would not be disappointed to see Lennon, Gudmundsson, Barnes, Long , Weghorst and McNeill leaving.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri May 27, 2022 9:33 am

I can't see many of our squad still being in place. All the big names appear to be on other clubs radar an the rest are out of contract.

I can see us having lots of loans to make up a squad!
Burnley, as we know it, is a gonner.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri May 27, 2022 9:38 am

I'll say this. If we keep a back four of Roberts/Lowton, Collins, Mee and Taylor in the Championship, that guarantees you the Play-Offs minimum. We would keep a ridiculous amount of clean sheets.

For that reason I am going to have to say Mee and Collins are the priorities.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 27, 2022 9:50 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:51 pm
I hope you don't mind me re-- phrasing your question tiger to ' Who would I be really disappointed to see leave'
Disregarding the 2 players recently resigned and the 2 players long termed injured it would be Pope, Lowton, Taylor , Collins, Roberts, Mee, Brownhill , Cornet.
I've resigned myself to two of those named being sold.

I would not be disappointed to see Lennon, Gudmundsson, Barnes, Long , Weghorst and McNeill leaving.
If we can get away with only Cornet and Pope leaving, and it's almost certain both will exit, then we'll still have a reasonable base for Kompany to build upon.

Like you I would lose no sleep over Barnes, JBG, Lennon, Long or Weghorst going, none of them are irreplaceable and they'll all be on good money, however I'm curious why you feel McNeil should go, yes he's had a poor season, but in the Championship he should regain his confidence, and for me he could provide a key part of any promotion push.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri May 27, 2022 10:03 am

If our financial problems are as bad as they are made out to be, we need to keep as many as possible as we can't afford to replace with better or even like for like.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri May 27, 2022 1:56 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:50 am
If we can get away with only Cornet and Pope leaving, and it's almost certain both will exit, then we'll still have a reasonable base for Kompany to build upon.

Like you I would lose no sleep over Barnes, JBG, Lennon, Long or Weghorst going, none of them are irreplaceable and they'll all be on good money, however I'm curious why you feel McNeil should go, yes he's had a poor season, but in the Championship he should regain his confidence, and for me he could provide a key part of any promotion push.
McNeil has me torn but I feel his time at Burnley should come to an end now. He was awful last season and many times flattered to deceive while spraying balls about that looked good but never got us far. I was fed up listening to different arguments about where he should play and equally fed up at his lack of tracking back followed by a McNeil tradition of hanging his head.

He has neither the toughness or willpower to succeed for Burnley anymore for me.

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 2:00 pm

Lenno, Ash, Erik.
Extend Longy, JGB and Lowts.
4 More years ?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:07 pm

Weird that skipton found this funny the first time, the 250th time is just dull

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Fri May 27, 2022 2:12 pm

Of the players shortly to be out of contract, only Mee and Cork do I see to be important to keep. Mee, Cork, Rodriguez is an experienced spine and whether they feature in every game or not, in a time of transition it's key to have some steady, experienced, vocal members of the squad.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 2:37 pm

(This is for players that haven’t signed or reportedly signed an extension)

Long can happily remain 4th choice for me he’s a good lad and is easily good enough for the championship to step in when required.

Keeping Collins & Mee would essentially give us the best centre back partnership in the division, and I’d argue Taylor and Roberts would give us the best fullback partnership in the division.

Brownhill/McNeil I think will be more effective at this level although I wouldn’t begrudge if either of them went if someone came in with silly money for them.

Gudmundsson I don’t think can last a season again - which is a shame because he was brilliant when fit, so I’d be looking to move him on.

I’d also let Barnes go, Pieters I think could be an important player especially if we transition to more of a passing team focused on ball retention - I think he’s much better at that aspect of the game than Chaz is.

Pope I’d love to keep hit circumstance dictates that he’d need to be sold

No qualms keeping Lennon for another season on reduced terms either as a second choice starter - still has bags of pace and is very good to bring on late to protect a lead

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Its as much a case as who would other clubs like to buy or sign (in the case of OOC). Can see interest in Pope, Cornet and Collins but not so much interest in the others. Definitely keep all the key players unless we get serious interest and the right price, but would keep Collins of the three above as his worth will only increase.

Unless we get the right offers would keep Pope, Roberts, Mee, Collins, McNeil, VW (he has a great record prior to coming to England, and he could do really well in the Championship), Cornet, Vydra (already sorted), Westwood,Cork, Brownhill, Rodriguez. Everyone else to go

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Fri May 27, 2022 3:06 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:56 pm
McNeil has me torn but I feel his time at Burnley should come to an end now. He was awful last season and many times flattered to deceive while spraying balls about that looked good but never got us far. I was fed up listening to different arguments about where he should play and equally fed up at his lack of tracking back followed by a McNeil tradition of hanging his head.

He has neither the toughness or willpower to succeed for Burnley anymore for me.
Fair enough and if we get a silly money offer he'll surely be gone.

I do wonder whether working with Kompany, alongside new coaches might give him a new lease of life, he showed in flashes last season that his ability is still there, but based on his end product I can see why you feel he should move on, well there be any takers though as he hardly set the world alight last season did he.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri May 27, 2022 5:05 pm

The are no “must keeps” for me. If the money is right any of them can leave.

Would like to keep Collins, Taylor, Mee, Brownhill, Cork, WW, Jay.

Would quite like to get the money for Pope, Dwight and Cornet.

Would tolerate Roberts, Westwood, Vyds.

Would release if I could (but can’t) Lowton, JBG

It is one heck of a rebuild this summer.

clive40golf
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by clive40golf » Fri May 27, 2022 10:22 pm

I’m sure we’ll try to keep a large core of the squad from last season. Don’t think we’ve got the money to do a Crystal Palace type squad rebuild this season. It’ll probably take 2-3 seasons. Hope we keep Pope, Brownhill, Mee, Taylor, Collins ect but got a feeling some of our better players will be off. Just depends who the new manager and chairman can lure in.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 pm

We all have differing opinions but I think I’ll leave it up to the new manager

Blakesboots
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 178 times

Post by Blakesboots » Fri May 27, 2022 10:58 pm

ClaretTony wrote: