Sorrento recommendations

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TommyPicks
Been Liked: 67 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Sorrento recommendations

Post by TommyPicks » Fri May 27, 2022 9:52 am

I'm off to Sorrento for the first time in a couple of weeks. There's a few things we've picked out already e.g. Capri, Amalfi and Pompeii/Herculaneum that we really want to do. Anyone else who has been have any other solid recommendations, or general things to be aware of?

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: Sorrento recommendations

Post by RVclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 am

I live in Naples so have been several times.

If you like seafood, you should eat at Bagni Delfino which is down on the sea front, but make sure you book in advance! Amazing food and really nice location on a pier.

Capri is amazing but touristy, Anacapri is a nice little town in the centre worth checking out. Positano is good just very busy, a hidden restaurant there is called Lo Guaraccino, ask at an info desk on how to find it, well worth it! But I actually prefer the small town of Ravello which is a bit further round. You could do the town of Amalfi (also nice) and Ravello in one day as both are quite close.

If you have time, get yourself to a pizzeria in Naples, my favourite is called 50 Kalo - will be the best pizza of your life, trust me! The seafront in Naples is a nice walk, couple of castles to visit and the views of the bay are great. A famous Napolitano street in the city is called Spaccanapoli which is also cool. Enjoy!
These 2 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland levraiclaret

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 am

TommyPicks wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:52 am
I'm off to Sorrento for the first time in a couple of weeks. There's a few things we've picked out already e.g. Capri, Amalfi and Pompeii/Herculaneum that we really want to do. Anyone else who has been have any other solid recommendations, or general things to be aware of?
There’s some fantastic places to go in Sorrento. Probably my favourite place in Italy.

The foreigners club is incredibly nice for an evening meal, the terrace looks over the bay of Naples (Mount Vesuvius). Great drinks, live music and the food is excellent.

If your heading near Amalfi try and visit the emerald grotto it’s a really different experience. My partner and I loved it.

It may sound expensive but I preferred hiring a private boat when visiting capri. They give you a much better tour of the island and your not working to the timetables of the larger boats. Make sure your taking plenty of cash as it’s incredibly expensive there.

If you want a romantic drink with your partner I would highly recommend visiting the roof top terrace bar of the Grand hotel. They have live music and some of the best views of Sorrento.

Cooking classes are a must. We learnt how to make fresh pasta, to this day it’s one of my favourite activities I have done abroad.

The limoncello “factory” is also excellent. You can walk around the paddock and see where the lemons are grown then get a tour/tasting session learning about how it is made.

My favourite restaurant in Sorrento is the O'Parrucchiano La Favorita. It doesn’t really look like a restaurant from the outside so it’s easy to miss. But the restaurant is out the back in a lemon orchard. They put fairy lights on the orchard and at night the atmosphere is amazing. I would highly recommend going to this restaurant at least once on your trip.

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Fri May 27, 2022 1:43 pm

If you catch the service bus to Positano from Sorrento expect to stand all the way as it's generally packed. Marvel at the sheer heer drop down to the rocks and sea below as the driver swings bus round the winding road down the coast.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1997 times
Has Liked: 1142 times

Post by FCBurnley » Fri May 27, 2022 2:07 pm

If you can afford it I would do an overnight in Capri. It’s a great place but full of day trippers. But once they leave around 6 pm it becomes magical. Enjoy

Mondsley
Been Liked: 136 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Mondsley » Fri May 27, 2022 3:13 pm

Some great suggestions already. As an alternative to Capri you could try Iscia. Just as beautiful, far less busy. Enjoy!!

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2293 times
Has Liked: 2166 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:26 am
There’s some fantastic places to go in Sorrento. Probably my favourite place in Italy.

The foreigners club is incredibly nice for an evening meal, the terrace looks over the bay of Naples (Mount Vesuvius). Great drinks, live music and the food is excellent.

If your heading near Amalfi try and visit the emerald grotto it’s a really different experience. My partner and I loved it.

It may sound expensive but I preferred hiring a private boat when visiting capri. They give you a much better tour of the island and your not working to the timetables of the larger boats. Make sure your taking plenty of cash as it’s incredibly expensive there.

If you want a romantic drink with your partner I would highly recommend visiting the roof top terrace bar of the Grand hotel. They have live music and some of the best views of Sorrento.

Cooking classes are a must. We learnt how to make fresh pasta, to this day it’s one of my favourite activities I have done abroad.

The limoncello “factory” is also excellent. You can walk around the paddock and see where the lemons are grown then get a tour/tasting session learning about how it is made.

My favourite restaurant in Sorrento is the O'Parrucchiano La Favorita. It doesn’t really look like a restaurant from the outside so it’s easy to miss. But the restaurant is out the back in a lemon orchard. They put fairy lights on the orchard and at night the atmosphere is amazing. I would highly recommend going to this restaurant at least once on your trip.
My mum got married at Foreigners club, lovely setting.

HitchinClaret
Been Liked: 65 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by HitchinClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 3:50 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:07 pm
If you can afford it I would do an overnight in Capri. It’s a great place but full of day trippers. But once they leave around 6 pm it becomes magical. Enjoy
Absolutely, once the day trippers are gone it is truly magic. I used to day trip away from Capri to avoid the nonsense, do shopping and get back for a relaxing evening.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1816 times
Has Liked: 1796 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 pm

RV Claret- my favourite part of going to Sorrento is always the trip to Naples on the Circumvesuviana.

The tour guides seem to warn people off going there, they don't know what they're missing.
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri May 27, 2022 5:49 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 pm
RV Claret- my favourite part of going to Sorrento is always the trip to Naples on the Circumvesuviana.

The tour guides seem to warn people off going there, they don't know what they're missing.
Great city! Stereotypically crazy, lots of pizzerias but incredibly authentic. Very passionate about their football too. Champions League nights are back next season.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Fri May 27, 2022 6:05 pm

Totally agree about Parruchiano Newcastle, though if I just wanted a pizza it would be Da Gigino.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 341 times
Has Liked: 474 times

Post by expoultryboy » Fri May 27, 2022 6:31 pm

Stayed at the grand Hotel vesuvius last time we went , the rooms were good but the food was very basic . Due to this we ate out most nights and we loved the foreigners club ( if you book in advance , ask for a table overlooking the bay ) . Parruchiano's food was lovely , but make sure you put your mosquito spray on ! After you've eaten , have a drink on the square and watch the world go by , plus try to see a car without a dent in it ! The English pub has sky and last time i watched Burnley in there , two other clarets came in with their colours on ( burnley's here , burnley's there etc ) . I agree with doug , go on the train to Naples and enjoy the buskers . If you think there's poverty in the uk , wait until you get to the outskirts of Naples . I personally found Herculaneum more interesting than Pompeii , But don't buy refreshments/ beer from the cafes near the station - rip off .

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:00 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm
My mum got married at Foreigners club, lovely setting.
We've had some brilliant lunchtimes sat with a beer looking out over the bay of naples at the foreigners

The football club is good for food and drink at lunch as well.

If you've plenty of money sit and have a drink in the square and watch the world go by

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:02 pm

dougcollins wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:05 pm
Totally agree about Parruchiano Newcastle, though if I just wanted a pizza it would be Da Gigino.
One of the best Italian meals I’ve had in there

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Fri May 27, 2022 8:48 pm

If you are interested in the ruins of Pompeii then my favourite experience was a Roman Villa they found only 60/70 years ago called Aplontis! It’s a few miles away from Pompeii and I think they built it for the emporer’s wife. It was amazing and for me was better than Pompeii itself as so much of it us still intact.

chorleyhere
Been Liked: 206 times
Has Liked: 257 times

Post by chorleyhere » Fri May 27, 2022 10:50 pm

If you arrive early at Pompei it will be very busy with tours so we were recommended to enter through the gateway and turn left passing all the tombstones and mausoleums to the Villa of the Mysteries much quieter than trying to get to the Forum and coliseum/gladiators arena. There is also a cafe down at the end Then later return to the centre when it is quieter and you can visit all the "key" buildings and the brothel etc (ruined !!!!) but with the world famous erotic art.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5073 times
Has Liked: 6850 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri May 27, 2022 11:03 pm

Never been but it sounds like a wonderful area, hope you have a great time !

SalouClaret
Been Liked: 340 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by SalouClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 11:21 pm

Bloody hell I'm very jealous! Haven't been for 3 years and I really miss the place.

Porta Marina Seafood at Marina Grande is amazing! Family run with the best fresh seafood and nice wine. L'orangerie restaurant just off Piazza Tasso was brilliant too but a lot more pricey!

Pompeii was very good but we visited mid-day in 35 degree heat, probably not our best idea.

If getting the train from Naples to Sorrento just be careful of pickpockets. I've never had a problem but have heard stories from other travellers. I find Barcelona worse for this! We usually get a private transfer which is around €90 each way.

As Newcastle said, a private boat to Capri is so much better if it fits in with your budget.

We stay at Grand Hotel Capodimonte and can't fault it. The staff, views and food are all spot on.

The floating sunbeds in the bay at Marina Grande are bliss. I could float around on one of those for days! :mrgreen:

Have a great time!

SalouClaret

Post by SalouClaret » Fri May 27, 2022 11:25 pm

Oh, and as someone else mentioned, definitely visit Ravello. I wasn't too bothered for going but agreed because my wife wanted to. It was amazing! Unreal views and a beautiful town. I can't wait to get back!

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 am

RVclaret wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:04 am
I live in Naples so have been several times.

If you like seafood, you should eat at Bagni Delfino which is down on the sea front, but make sure you book in advance! Amazing food and really nice location on a pier.

Capri is amazing but touristy, Anacapri is a nice little town in the centre worth checking out. Positano is good just very busy, a hidden restaurant there is called Lo Guaraccino, ask at an info desk on how to find it, well worth it! But I actually prefer the small town of Ravello which is a bit further round. You could do the town of Amalfi (also nice) and Ravello in one day as both are quite close.

If you have time, get yourself to a pizzeria in Naples, my favourite is called 50 Kalo - will be the best pizza of your life, trust me! The seafront in Naples is a nice walk, couple of castles to visit and the views of the bay are great. A famous Napolitano street in the city is called Spaccanapoli which is also cool. Enjoy!

We stayed in Naples when we went to Italy 2015. Everybody said why didn't you stay in Sorrento? But we loved Naples great cultural experience and the locals are so proud of it, telling us all about the Kingdom of Naples. Well worth a day trip, just watch out for the mopeds!!

Flixtonclaret1
Been Liked: 146 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by Flixtonclaret1 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 am

TommyPicks wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:52 am
Over here at the minute. Did Pompei yesterday. Don’t book the excursions go as a independent traveller. 5 euros return on the train from Sorrento (13 stops) then don’t buy fast rack admission as you t was twice as long to get in which was 15 euros rack kids under 16 are free! 2 hours in there max - if you go organised trip it’s 4 hours which is too long!

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sat May 28, 2022 8:36 am

Flixtonclaret1 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:14 am
Over here at the minute. Did Pompei yesterday. Don’t book the excursions go as a independent traveller. 5 euros return on the train from Sorrento (13 stops) then don’t buy fast rack admission as you t was twice as long to get in which was 15 euros rack kids under 16 are free! 2 hours in there max - if you go organised trip it’s 4 hours which is too long!
There's also very little shade and can get uncomfortable.... Go early, on the train and do it yourself I agree is the best way.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 am

Another thing to add - you can get up near the top of Mount Vesuvius, safe the say the views are quite spectacular.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Sat May 28, 2022 8:47 am

Marina di Puolo Is a few miles away and the nearest beach which on weekdays is very quiet but has a couple of nice cafes/restaurants and you can get the A bus there ask the driver to let you know when to get off - last but is down a steep road to the cove.
Meating is the name of the steak restaurant we found if your end up fed of fish pasta etc
We went in first week of May stayed in Hotel Conca Park it was very nice and relaxing.
We decided Not to hire a car And used ferries from Sorrento harbour rather than the buses as the roads around the Amalfi coast are treacherous in places and the weather was good to we went by boat and it’s good to see the coastline from the sea.
Enjoy

dougcollins

Post by dougcollins » Sat May 28, 2022 12:34 pm

The cable car from Castellammare to Monte Faito is worth a trip. Just a few stops on the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento, the cable car basically leaves from the same building as Castellammare station. It can be difficult with Monte Faito, but try and pick a clear day - you can see the peak from Sorrento to check.

And despite what some in Sorrento may tell you, the seafront in Castellammare is also worth checking out. Eat at about half the cost of Sorrento!

brexit
Been Liked: 236 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm

last time I went through Padiham it was closed. But the lasagne used be fantastic

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 1:27 am

Never been a fan of Sorrento myself, tourist trap, best thing was Valle dei Mulini but they have ruined that now, sorry I mean 'restored' it, since I was last there, looking at the new pics, what on earth were they thinking? Lots of great places in the area though. When I first went the satnav was sending me up farm tracks etc. hopefully sorted that out now. I once went on a bus on the Isle of Capri, that was something I won't do again. Enjoy.

Simps
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by Simps » Sun May 29, 2022 4:54 pm

What’s the best hotels to stay in while in Sorrento?

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sun May 29, 2022 6:16 pm

Simps wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 4:54 pm
What’s the best hotels to stay in while in Sorrento?
I've always stayed just North in Sant'Agnello.
Much better value.
Less busy and only a short (lovely) walk to Sorrento. Also easy train access / buss etc.
More "Locals" type restaurants...

Herculaneum is imho better than Pomp' less busy - but both well worth it.

Strongly rec' a day or two out to Positano - (tip don't wear heels !!!).

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Sun May 29, 2022 8:57 pm

I would recommend a sea ferry trip to Capri. So beautiful.
Search out of town ( in Capri) for cheaper meals using the fernicular railway up the hill.
Naples is extraordinary, check out the wonderful pizzas off piste , excuse the pun.
Take the bus to the Amalfi Coast and fall in love again at Positano.
This user liked this post: HunterST_BFC

scamander
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by scamander » Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm

I studied ancient history and have been blogging and podcasting on it for several years. I've recorded a couple of podcasts on Pompeii.

The first is a breakdown on what happened over the two days, including how we can understand it in the modern age. Also I bust a few myths.

The second was all about the gardens there. These tell us a lot, from what was grown to how the gardens were used. I have a guest expert on who did a lot of work in Pompeii on this.

My podcast is called 'Ancient History Hound' and it's on most platfotms (spotify, itunes etc). These episodes may give a bit more info about Pompeii. It's an amazing place and I hope to return again one day.

If you need sny links let me know.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:03 pm

scamander wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 pm
I studied ancient history and have been blogging and podcasting on it for several years. I've recorded a couple of podcasts on Pompeii.

The first is a breakdown on what happened over the two days, including how we can understand it in the modern age. Also I bust a few myths.

The second was all about the gardens there. These tell us a lot, from what was grown to how the gardens were used. I have a guest expert on who did a lot of work in Pompeii on this.

My podcast is called 'Ancient History Hound' and it's on most platfotms (spotify, itunes etc). These episodes may give a bit more info about Pompeii. It's an amazing place and I hope to return again one day.

If you need sny links let me know.
Look forward to listening
This user liked this post: scamander

Billyblah
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Post by Billyblah » Sun May 29, 2022 10:34 pm

SouthLondonexile wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:57 pm
I would recommend a sea ferry trip to Capri. So beautiful.
Search out of town ( in Capri) for cheaper meals using the fernicular railway up the hill.
Naples is extraordinary, check out the wonderful pizzas off piste , excuse the pun.
Take the bus to the Amalfi Coast and fall in love again at Positano.
Yup, I did the ferry/Capri trip aswell. Highly recommended.
Struggled with the bus round the Amalfi coast. I think you buy tickets from local tobacconist shops and queue at the bus stop. We aimed for an early morning bus, queued for ages....and when it finally turned up......full!!
I guess the other option is a coach layed on by tour operators but these will be much more expensive.

Goobs
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by Goobs » Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 am

Probably said this before on here but we enjoyed our honeymoon Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi which is up in the hills about 5 mins drive from sorrento. Lovely village and some amazing restaurants most of which were ridiculously low prices.

As for Sorrento itself an amazing place where we barely ever had to buy any food as every time we stopped anywhere for a drink they immediately brought out Pizza, garlic bread or nibbles of some form.

SalouClaret

Post by SalouClaret » Mon May 30, 2022 7:59 am

Goobs wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 am
Probably said this before on here but we enjoyed our honeymoon Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi which is up in the hills about 5 mins drive from sorrento. Lovely village and some amazing restaurants most of which were ridiculously low prices.

As for Sorrento itself an amazing place where we barely ever had to buy any food as every time we stopped anywhere for a drink they immediately brought out Pizza, garlic bread or nibbles of some form.

Those salty snacks that you receive in every bar are amazing! Probably there to make you drink more, but still delicious :mrgreen:
This user liked this post: Goobs