Belgian press articles on Vincent Kompany

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 167 times

Belgian press articles on Vincent Kompany

Post by Belgianclaret » Sat May 28, 2022 1:31 pm

Article 1: Reasons for his departure from Anderlecht:
- board not pleased with results or his positive appraisal of their season
- board held talks with players behind his back (although players were still behind him), and he caught wind of that
- board did not want to prolong contracts of his two assistants Floribert Ngalula and Rodyse Munienge, also two very good friends of his
- parties agreed to communicate end of collaboration by mutual consent, this in respect to one and other

Article 2: Kompany wants to bring in Makhtar Gueye, 24 year old Senegalese forward from KVO Ostend. Powerful & skillful forward but a very difficult character who lost his way completely in the second half of the season. Good player who will however need to be handled...
This user liked this post: bf2k

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6362 times
Has Liked: 8705 times

Re: Belgian press articles on Vincent Kompany

Post by IanMcL » Sun May 29, 2022 2:07 am

Doesn't bode well for a good team spirit.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11034 times
Has Liked: 5645 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun May 29, 2022 2:17 am

The entire club needs a rocket up its arse. Bring him in with a massive ******* cricket bat to stir the pot. Stale as ****
This user liked this post: ebby

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun May 29, 2022 5:31 am

If I'm being honest I'm not to excited about Kompany. It's not like he did well at Anderlecht in a league where there's really only a few top of teams.

But after being relegated you can't be picky I guess.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1149 times
Has Liked: 1443 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun May 29, 2022 7:40 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 2:07 am
Doesn't bode well for a good team spirit.
I think the part where it’s says the players are still behind him would suggest different.

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 8:10 am

Don't think the team spirit was an issue at Anderlecht.
Kompany started by intending to play a Guardiola style, but soon realized you can't just play a certain style of football with any team.
Then adapted the style of play, but still made a number of tactical errors, leading to criticism from the board after losing the cup final and a critical game in the play offs against Union (BHA-owned).

Therefore, and in my (humble) opinion, a strong Burnley backbone is required in the backroom staff (a.o. Jackson etc).

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 29, 2022 8:14 am

We’ll if he does join us it either will or won’t work. I’m not too bothered about the remarks made from his previous club, different country, different attitude and I include players in that. I’m hoping he’s enough contacts that will bring in some new players. My concern is his budget, which I imagine won’t be that great so it could be an interesting season. Either way he or whoever comes in will get my full support.

longsidepies
Been Liked: 109 times
Has Liked: 8778 times

Post by longsidepies » Sun May 29, 2022 8:16 am

From the football gossip page of the BBC today: Potential new Burnley boss Vincent Kompany wants to make English centre-back Taylor Harwood-Bellis, 20, his first signing on loan from former club Manchester City.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sun May 29, 2022 8:17 am

I heard Andy Brassell (European football pundit) talking about Kompany's time at Anderlecht. Took over at a time of total crisis for the club - haemhorraging money, selling their best players, hadn't qualified for European football for the first time in 55 years. Did an OK job in that context, finished third this year, played some decent football but fell short in some big games.

Sounds like he might be able to stabilise the club and challenge for the top six next season but maybe not the man to take us back to the Prem. A bit like Lampard at Derby.

Belgianclaret

Post by Belgianclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 8:28 am

High profile & ability to attract good players are a definite plus. Also loves the area and his wife & kids will be glad to be back.
Has a good character and a strong will to succeed.
Lampard did well at Derby, but I'm still not really convinced by him. Rooney also has potential.
Kompany definitely also has potential, let's hope it turns out to be a masterstroke

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 am

Some on here would prefer a local lad born within the born within the sound of Turf Moor, maybe from the housing estate next door - he could also get some of his mates to do the coaching, after all, anyone can do it.
These 2 users liked this post: Gibbo nil_desperandum

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:43 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:34 am
Some on here would prefer a local lad born within the born within the sound of Turf Moor, maybe from the housing estate next door - he could also get some of his mates to do the coaching, after all, anyone can do it.
At least they could sing.. He's one of our own... And actually be correct
These 2 users liked this post: Billy Balfour Gibbo

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1096 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun May 29, 2022 8:45 am

I don’t see what he has done to merit being the highest paid manager in the Championship if this is the case. I’d feel more confident if promotion with someone like Farke in charge. That would probably need a change again though in the PL if we did go up. The club obviously want to change the style and the way we do things long term.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1571 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:49 am

I’ve said it a few times but I think Kompany would be a good signing for stabilising the club and promoting youth. I highly doubt he will get us promoted, practically everything I have read about him suggests he his tactically very raw and failed in games he needed to win.

Time will tell, let’s see if the gamble pays off.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 852 times
Has Liked: 1096 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun May 29, 2022 8:53 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:49 am
I’ve said it a few times but I think Kompany would be a good signing for stabilising the club and promoting youth. I highly doubt he will get us promoted, practically everything I have read about him suggests he his tactically very raw and failed in games he needed to win.

Tend to agree with this. I would have though promotion was the number one objective though based on the financial situation.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 8:58 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:53 am
Tend to agree with this. I would have though promotion was the number one objective though based on the financial situation.
It is. Pace said before we were relegated that the target would be to bounce back up at the first try.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1766 times
Has Liked: 356 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun May 29, 2022 9:00 am

All this talk of stabilising the club… we were one of most stable clubs in the Premier League with a decent manager and back room staff. We just needed a bit of investment in the team.

Vincent Kompany has done nothing to suggest he can do a good job at Burnley… yes he had an illustrious career on the field and worked under a great manager, but so did Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, the Neville Brothers and Wayne Rooney. I can’t imagine members on the forum getting excited about the prospect of them being the next manager when they have similar CV’s
These 2 users liked this post: Top Claret yTib

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 9:10 am

All I'd say about the reports on him stabilising a club in trouble is that he's got about three to four months with us, not three years

We have to hit the ground running on in July (how mental is it with the season starting in July?)

I get the concern and what we are doing is risky, but its exciting and ambitious, and I think the bold approach might well be the way to go
These 4 users liked this post: NewClaret Juan Tanamera Healeywoodclaret tiger76

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun May 29, 2022 9:11 am

Nori1958 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:43 am
At least they could sing.. He's one of our own... And actually be correct
GPWM. Also, we don't want anyone from the Lowerhouse or Briercliffe ends of town. Those places are way too far away. To be honest, I'd prefer someone who was born under the culvert on a rainy night in mid-December, and had their first 'Longside Burnley' tattoo before they were 10.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 am

The problem with focussing on Kompany is:

Knutsen - given the quality of Norwegian league extremely high risk, but maybe the most exciting potential of the lot

Rooney - also hasn’t been promoted but good experience of the Championship, didn’t seem interested, lots of baggage

Farke - probably the stand out candidate for promotion experience, nice bloke, but would need replaying in the Prem

So you have to take it in that context. Some will say we should’ve kept Dyche but I don’t think that would’ve worked either.

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 186 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 am

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:00 am
yes he had an illustrious career on the field and worked under a great manager, but so did Ryan Giggs, Roy Keane, Paul Scholes, the Neville Brothers and Wayne Rooney.I can’t imagine members on the forum getting excited about the prospect of them being the next manager when they have similar CV’s
Fair point CU, but Roy Keane actually got Sunderland promoted.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:17 am

NewClaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:14 am
The problem with focussing on Kompany is:

Knutsen - given the quality of Norwegian league extremely high risk, but maybe the most exciting potential of the lot

Rooney - also hasn’t been promoted but good experience of the Championship, didn’t seem interested, lots of baggage

Farke - probably the stand out candidate for promotion experience, nice bloke, but would need replaying in the Prem

So you have to take it in that context. Some will say we should’ve kept Dyche but I don’t think that would’ve worked either.
I think that’s fairly accurate. I suspect Kompany was the best we could get as others fancied there chances elsewhere.

Based on promotion being the target I thought Wilder or Farke would have been first choices. Potentially even Rooney with his experience of the championship.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 9:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:

Impossible to know this (regarding promotion) without seeing who we keep / who he signs.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Sun May 29, 2022 9:26 am

Had a couple of beers yesterday with my dad in his Burnley local. Everyone I saw was excited by the news that Kompany will most likely be our next manager. All those I spoke to actually go on the Turf, unlike SOME of the most critical people on this forum, who watch their football on livestreams. Just saying.
These 2 users liked this post: randomclaret2 Bosscat

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Sun May 29, 2022 9:29 am

I watch a fair bit of the Jupiler League and if you'd asked me at the start of the season where I'd have expected Anderlecht to finish I'd have said 3rd (but behind Genk in 2nd, not USG). So IMO he achieved what was expected and with a young team.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:30 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:26 am
Had a couple of beers yesterday with my dad in his Burnley local. Everyone I saw was excited by the news that Kompany will most likely be our next manager. All those I spoke to actually go on the Turf, unlike SOME of the most critical people on this forum, who watch their football on livestreams. Just saying.
“I live next door to turf moor therefor my opinion is more valid”

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3800 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun May 29, 2022 9:36 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:26 am
You're right, I don't get the negativity here, he hasn't even signed his contract yet. Some now pretend to be football experts with the ''he failed in Belgium'' rubbish despite never watching a Jupiler Pro League game in their damn life. He's laid the foundations for Anderlecht to be very successful in the near future, my guess is Anderlecht owners will decide to sell the young talent and rebuild with scraps. Kompany developed Doku and they sold him to Rennes for big money. The same will happen with King Yari, Amuzu and the rest.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:38 am

KRBFC wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:36 am
You're right, I don't get the negativity here, he hasn't even signed his contract yet. Some now pretend to be football experts with the ''he failed in Belgium'' rubbish despite never watching a Jupiler Pro League game in their damn life. He's laid the foundations for Anderlecht to be very successful in the near future, my guess is Anderlecht owners will decide to sell the young talent and rebuild with scraps. Kompany developed Doku and they sold him to Rennes for big money. The same will happen with King Yari, Amuzu and the rest.
Who said he failed in Belgium?

Nori1958
Been Liked: 1112 times
Has Liked: 347 times

Post by Nori1958 » Sun May 29, 2022 9:54 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:11 am
GPWM. Also, we don't want anyone from the Lowerhouse or Briercliffe ends of town. Those places are way too far away. To be honest, I'd prefer someone who was born under the culvert on a rainy night in mid-December, and had their first 'Longside Burnley' tattoo before they were 10.
That's me out of the running then :lol:

Volvoclaret
Been Liked: 664 times
Has Liked: 379 times

Post by Volvoclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 10:12 am

Got to be J. North then

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 10:14 am

Born under the culvert is tough

Now conceived under the culvert does widen it a fair bit though!
These 4 users liked this post: bobinho fatboy47 Burnley Ace the_magic_rat

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 29, 2022 10:35 am

Boss Hogg wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:45 am
I don’t see what he has done to merit being the highest paid manager in the Championship if this is the case. I’d feel more confident if promotion with someone like Farke in charge. That would probably need a change again though in the PL if we did go up. The club obviously want to change the style and the way we do things long term.
Isn't that what most fans have been asking for, for ages. The man can't be knocked for doing what was needed.
Whether it works is a different matter. Managers are like gloves, some fit, some don't, and you won't know for certain until you try them on.

I'm all for giving VK the opportunity, it will certainly be a change of style, because nobody played football the SD way. I just hope fans give him the time any manager needs to complete the job. Rome wasn't built in a day, just ask West Ham fans. The more time he gets with the players the better.
This user liked this post: tiger76

bobinho
Been Liked: 4094 times
Has Liked: 6570 times

Post by bobinho » Sun May 29, 2022 10:35 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
practically everything I have read about him suggests he his tactically very raw and failed in games he needed to win.

So, a younger Sean Dyche then? ;)

Agree wholeheartedly with the opening sentence, we need the exuberance of youth. Kids fear nowt, and love getting one over on the oldies. Get some young uns on loan (a market largely untapped by us for years. Neglected to the point of dereliction) and get them used to our advantage. With VK’s contacts in the game, we should be able to get a few good uns thru the door.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 10:56 am

Even if at the end of next season we finished second half of the table and Kompany was in dispute with the board and leaves.... We would only be in the same position we are now. Getting out of bed in a morning is risky.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 10:59 am

No millionaire ever became a millionaire without taking risks. What I like about Kompany is he is young and will develop young players. I say give him the opportunity. Watch this space. I certainly don't think next season will be boring!

Juan Tanamera
Been Liked: 770 times
Has Liked: 10055 times

Post by Juan Tanamera » Sun May 29, 2022 11:00 am

I don't understand this thing with Daniel Farke.
Yes, he took Norwich up twice playing an attacking brand of football.
But we all saw first hand is total lack of tactical nous in the Premier League.
So what do we do, take a chance on him gaining promotion with us but pot him when that job is done then bring someone else in that may destabilise the club and risk relegation again?
We would end up like erm...., Norwich.
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 29, 2022 11:05 am

Healeywoodclaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:56 am
Even if at the end of next season we finished second half of the table and Kompany was in dispute with the board and leaves.... We would only be in the same position we are now. Getting out of bed in a morning is risky.
We wouldn’t be in the same position. You could guarantee that the finances would be even worse.

I just hope Kompany is at least able to bring in his own choice of signings. That would be a good start.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1486 times
Has Liked: 1847 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun May 29, 2022 11:14 am

Using loan players who are a good standard would be a big plus
Sean struggled with the concept of loan players.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am

Juan Tanamera wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:00 am
I don't understand this thing with Daniel Farke.
Yes, he took Norwich up twice playing an attacking brand of football.
But we all saw first hand is total lack of tactical nous in the Premier League.
So what do we do, take a chance on him gaining promotion with us but pot him when that job is done then bring someone else in that may destabilise the club and risk relegation again?
We would end up like erm...., Norwich.
To be fair under paces model he would probably do a good job. Buy European talent on the cheap sell them on for large profit playing attractive football.

Look at Norwich’s transfer business over the last few years, made some great profit and got numerous seasons in the prem.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:35 am
To be fair under paces model he would probably do a good job. Buy European talent on the cheap sell them on for large profit playing attractive football.

Look at Norwich’s transfer business over the last few years, made some great profit and got numerous seasons in the prem.
Farke didn't really do the recruitment though. That was Kieran Scott / Stuart Webber.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 11:41 am

Mattster wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am
Farke didn't really do the recruitment though. That was Kieran Scott / Stuart Webber.
I imagine he wouldn’t do it here if he came in.

But he managed to develop players and highlight the attributes which lead to high sale prices.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32405 times
Has Liked: 5273 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 29, 2022 11:45 am

Mattster wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:37 am
Webber is the main man at Norwich. Scott now at Middlesbrough.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 29, 2022 12:03 pm

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:14 am
Using loan players who are a good standard would be a big plus
Sean struggled with the concept of loan players.
More often than not the loan players he had ended up at a lower level than the PL.
Keane and eventually Bamford being the exceptions.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3862 times
Has Liked: 2070 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun May 29, 2022 12:22 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:03 pm
More often than not the loan players he had ended up at a lower level than the PL.
Keane and eventually Bamford being the exceptions.
They wasted a years development here.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 29, 2022 12:28 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:22 pm
They wasted a years development here.
Or they just weren't that good in the first place.

Not every loan player from a big club goes on to be PL quality

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun May 29, 2022 12:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:45 am
Webber is the main man at Norwich. Scott now at Middlesbrough.
Aye, but the players sold during Farke's time were signed under Scott's tenure as Head of Recruitment.

Mattster

Post by Mattster » Sun May 29, 2022 12:34 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:41 am
I imagine he wouldn’t do it here if he came in.

But he managed to develop players and highlight the attributes which lead to high sale prices.
Kompany's got a decent record on that front too.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 3808 times

Post by NewClaret » Sun May 29, 2022 12:47 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:17 am
I think that’s fairly accurate. I suspect Kompany was the best we could get as others fancied there chances elsewhere.

Based on promotion being the target I thought Wilder or Farke would have been first choices. Potentially even Rooney with his experience of the championship.
I was never keen on Wilder for some reason.

After relegation I think Farke or Rooney would’ve been my picks. But again Rooney might not have wanted to come. Or Farke for that matter.

beddie
Been Liked: 1406 times
Has Liked: 518 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm

I just can’t imagine that Kompany would take the job knowing that players could be brought into the club that he’s not chosen himself.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Sun May 29, 2022 1:07 pm

beddie wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 1:00 pm
I just can’t imagine that Kompany would take the job knowing that players could be brought into the club that he’s not chosen himself.
Isn’t that our set up now? We have a recruitment team that finds players and the manager is just expected to manage them?