Vincent Kompany Tactics

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: Vincent Kompany Tactics

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:06 pm

https://olioconnell.substack.com/p/vinc ... medium=web

A fantastic analysis of our set up and tactics v Hudd
These 3 users liked this post: Rileybobs Colburn_Claret HunterST_BFC

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:39 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:06 pm

That is a brilliant read, anyone confused with how we are trying to set up should read it, explains it very simply.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:17 pm

A good read. This guy knows his stuff.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:30 pm

Excellent.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:42 pm

Very interesting analysis, and the box midfield was a pleasant surprise that allowed us to completely dominate the ball. I was expecting one of the deep CMs to drop into the back three in the build-up, but having Costelloe as a winger and Roberts dropping back into the back three was genius.

I wonder what Kompany will do if and when he has two out and out strikers available. He'd been playing Barnes and Rodriguez in preseason games. I personally am I big fan of how we set up against Hudds and I hope we replicate that again.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:47 pm

It will be interesting to see how we adapt when teams play a low block against us. Huddersfield played right into our hands, particularly in the first half.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 pm

Bit more in depth then tw@t it up to Woods and see what happens.
This user liked this post: Cleveleys_claret

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:55 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:52 pm
Bit more in depth then tw@t it up to Woods and see what happens.
If you don’t think that the Burnley team under Dyche was as meticulously coached then you can’t have been watching. Totally different brand of football, granted, although played at a much higher level. Our system under Dyche was much more than tw@tting the ball up to Wood(s).
These 2 users liked this post: Colburn_Claret forzagranata

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:06 pm

Thanks for posting that, RV. A really interesting article.

I’m looking forward to seeing how we adapt this style against different ways of playing throughout the season and as teams start to learn how we play. There were so many positive signs against Huddersfield that I’m like a kid at Christmas waiting for Saturday.

A couple of points on our longer standing players, both from the analysis and the game last Friday…

I’ve been quite critical of Brownhill but I think we will see a lot from him this season. Not just because he’s playing at a lower level but because what is being asked of him is nearer to his skill set. There’s a lesson to be learned here when judging players.

It’s no surprise that Cork has been retained and settled in like a duck to water, in the new system. He’s a proper footballer and a really intelligent player. Surprised to still read posts about his ability to see out a season - looks fit as a butchers dog to me.

For all we need a new striker, Barnes didn’t look out of place on Friday. He has a lot more to his game than being the “battering ram”. There will probably be games when we actually need him to revert to that perception but it’s great to see him adapting too.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:13 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:55 pm
If you don’t think that the Burnley team under Dyche was as meticulously coached then you can’t have been watching. Totally different brand of football, granted, although played at a much higher level. Our system under Dyche was much more than tw@tting the ball up to Wood(s).
You're right of course,we had Barnes,Weghorst and for a while Crouch.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:26 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:13 pm
You're right of course,we had Barnes,Weghorst and for a while Crouch.
It went stale more recently, undoubtedly. What I would say though is that some of the defensive displays that we put in as a team were fantastic viewing.

The obvious euphoria comes with goals / chances but there were plenty of games, backs against the wall type games, where I came away thinking how brilliant we were and against far superior opposition.

Kompany may prove to be very successful and his style may be more pleasing on the eye. Let’s not forget though, where Dyche took us and what he delivered for our club for TEN years.

You only need to watch the Kompany video to see that he himself has plenty of respect for what Dyche did and whilst his approach may be different, he is still very much about many of the values that Dyche instilled.

It’s a new era now. One that’s been made possible because of Dyche. I’d be amazed, if in ten years from now, we’d found a manager that delivers half as much as Dyche did.

A bit of respect where it’s richly deserved.
These 7 users liked this post: forzagranata HunterST_BFC GaryClaret Colburn_Claret Top Claret bfcjg Billy Balfour

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:43 pm

Excellent read about the set up at Huddersfield. Really worked a treat particularly with the likes of Cork covering the space left by the pressing midfielder. This happened all game and was a joy to watch. The number of times we stopped Huddersfield getting any momentum was impressive. As the chap doing the article suggests it’s very impressive for such an early example display from a newly coached team. Special mention to the likes of Barnes and Cork that showed signs that you can teach an old dog new tricks, particularly when they are clever premier league standard footballers.

Will be really interesting to see such tactical analysis after every game given the different styles we will face. Getting it so right in the first meaningful match really augers well for the future, to take a phrase from a certain ex manager.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:00 am

It seems that we identified Sorba Thomas' tracking back as Huddersfields weakness, thus leaving Maatsen high and wide.

Also loved the analysis of the dummy runs from brownhill and Bastien in order to create space for Barnes.

Looking forward to seeing how we set up against other teams, I don't think we will setup the same every week, keep the opposition guessing.

bfcjg

Post by bfcjg » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:18 am

DCWat wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:26 pm
It went stale more recently, undoubtedly. What I would say though is that some of the defensive displays that we put in as a team were fantastic viewing.

The obvious euphoria comes with goals / chances but there were plenty of games, backs against the wall type games, where I came away thinking how brilliant we were and against far superior opposition.

Kompany may prove to be very successful and his style may be more pleasing on the eye. Let’s not forget though, where Dyche took us and what he delivered for our club for TEN years.

You only need to watch the Kompany video to see that he himself has plenty of respect for what Dyche did and whilst his approach may be different, he is still very much about many of the values that Dyche instilled.

It’s a new era now. One that’s been made possible because of Dyche. I’d be amazed, if in ten years from now, we’d found a manager that delivers half as much as Dyche did.

A bit of respect where it’s richly deserved.
I wasn't referring to how I feel about Dyche he is a top coach,it's a comment on how a lot of pundits and "experts" basically wrote us off with a dismissive phrase or two when games went against us.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:04 am

https://twitter.com/begriffis/status/15 ... R43TObzMhQ

Interesting thread by the same author as the linked article in the OP discussing the similarities in passing patterns between VK’s Anderlecht and us so far.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:49 pm

https://medium.com/@nategilman513/match ... 9c8916872f

Nice analysis and write up by a Claret on the match against PNE, our successes and deficiencies on the night, from a tactical perspective.
This user liked this post: WiscoClaret

WiscoClaret
Been Liked: 42 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by WiscoClaret » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:58 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:49 pm
https://medium.com/@nategilman513/match ... 9c8916872f

Nice analysis and write up by a Claret on the match against PNE, our successes and deficiencies on the night, from a tactical perspective.
Was just going to post this very same thing. I wanted to know others thoughts on it/ it’s a very sound read in my opinion!

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:08 pm

WiscoClaret wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:58 pm
Was just going to post this very same thing. I wanted to know others thoughts on it/ it’s a very sound read in my opinion!
Yes very interesting and Kompany is clearly trying different tweaks to the system depending on the opponent. I found the build up structure of 3-3-4 quite unique. Like the writer and VK said, second half PNE went even deeper, compact and denied any space between the lines. We didn’t have an answer for it until Maatsen / Zaroury, perhaps if they’d had another 10 minutes together we may have found a way through.

Also I liked Benson’s performance overall but twice he went for a long range shot (not something to discourage really) but both occasions he had a good pass on - firstly the one to Rodriguez that this article mentions and secondly at the start of the second half, he cut inside and fired a low shot past the near post - Roberts had actually made a good run into the area which he could have slid in.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:43 pm

25th minute continued:

When Benson had the ball and shot, it's true he could have played it to Rodriguez, but he could also have played it to Roberts (or even Brownhill) who could then get to the goal line and cut it back, perhaps to Jay.

Fun this, isn't it!