Transfer Rumours Thread - NO FINANCIAL DISCUSSION

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread - NO FINANCIAL DISCUSSION

Post by mybloodisclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:26 pm
Kompany literally said last week that Cabral was a player they were looking at and and tried on
I would be amazed if we are still after Cabral. Our strategy is far more aggressive now than before. It appears we made an offer, his club agreed he said no. We then went back with another offer to Cabral (no doubt with encouragement from 1 or 2 of his 5 agents) and he is waiting for a better offer. I think we will have pulled the plug.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 969 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:45 pm

Mattster wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:17 pm
I'm hopeful that Kompany feels we don't need a striker because he thinks that Richardson (once up to full fitness) will be ready to make the breakthrough. Probably not but I can dream.
Kompany doesn't think that we need a striker because he feels that Brownhill will provide the goals needed according to his after match comments in The Football Paper this weekend. Quote "To win games you have got to create chances . I think we have goals in the team, but it will happen from players understanding each other better.' Kompany backed midfielder Josh Brownhill to find the net on a regular basis this season. "I think Josh will get a lot of goals this season, he is threatening" added Kompany.

By using terms like "on a regular basis" and "a lot of goals this season" he cannot be talking about 5 or 6. Kompany would have to be talking 15 or 20.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 561 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:48 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:35 pm
I would be amazed if we are still after Cabral. Our strategy is far more aggressive now than before. It appears we made an offer, his club agreed he said no. We then went back with another offer to Cabral (no doubt with encouragement from 1 or 2 of his 5 agents) and he is waiting for a better offer. I think we will have pulled the plug.
I agree I was just stating what we was in for him after someone said they don’t believe we ever was, when Kompany literally said we was
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:58 pm

I'd like to think we're after a striker, but as time goes on, I doubt whether we will land one. Yes I know Kompany isn't going to come out and reek of desperation, but the one thing everyone says about his interviews is how honest he is. When he downplays the need for one, I don't think he's doing that dishonestly. There's also the fact he regularly mentions the need for goals to come from a variety of players in the team, and that he's said he's never had a genuine goal scorer in his side before.

I think he'd certainly have one if he could get one of the prime targets, but I really can see us making do and asking the players behind the striker to step up. That's fine as a principle, but it will require our midfield players (Brownhill aside) to start looking a lot more threatening and likely in front of goal.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:17 pm

We need another forward purely because we need the options. Barnes up top on his own doesn't work very well, especially not over a season and Jay is likely to struggle to get a prolonged run if his injury record is anything to go by.

Do we need a 20 goal man though? Probably not.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:18 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:17 pm
We need another forward purely because we need the options. Barnes up top on his own doesn't work very well, especially not over a season and Jay is likely to struggle to get a prolonged run if his injury record is anything to go by.

Agree with this completely.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:27 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:

Then where are the goals going to come from?

If you look at the teams who get promoted each year, most will have a striker with 20+.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:45 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:

Where are the goals going to come from though? Pretty sure as it stands we only have three players that have ever scored more than 5 goals in a season.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 978 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:

Factually that may be correct but if our top scorer gets 19 goals then the rest of the side will need to chip in with more than 50 goals, maybe pushing towards 60 if we play an attacking and at times risky gameplan which leaves us open at the back.

Most promoted sides at this level score in excess of 70 goals to finish in the top two or have an excellent goals against column.

This mythical goalscorer is the one capable of winning games against the odds (Andre Gray at Bolton and Birmingham), without them tight games finish in draws and then there are loads of ifs, buts and maybes.

You make your own luck on the field but that is also the case in terms of squad development and transfer dealings.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:13 pm

Nixon saying no deal agreed for Kouyate yet

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:17 pm

Somewhat neglectful to be going into our 4tb game of the season with players up front who don't score goals anymore.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:20 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:17 pm
Somewhat neglectful to be going into our 4tb game of the season with players up front who don't score goals anymore.
Quotes from Kompany here on this are interesting

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/sport/fo ... ny-3806825

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:25 pm

From bodens article it seems like we have looked around for a striker but not found one we think is worth the money being thrown around maybe

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:25 pm

If we continue with Barnes up front we are not serious about promotion. OK saying that the goals will come from a variety of players-but who. Think we have more chance now that Jay is fit, but for how long with his hamstrings and niggles .Josh Brownhill will get a few but hes not a natural goal scorer.Whats he going to get -up to 9 or 10. Who else is there-I doubt Cullen or Cork will score regularly, and have not seen enough of Benson , Vithino or Tella to see if they are likely to get in where it hurts-ie at the end of crosses or one twos. Would like to think our scouting/recruitment which has reached an unbelievable standard in a short period is on this, and can generate a goal scorer soon. Otherwise the story of our season will be high possession, large numbers of goal attempts, but precious little in terms of goals

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:29 pm

kentonclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:45 pm
Kompany doesn't think that we need a striker because he feels that Brownhill will provide the goals needed according to his after match comments in The Football Paper this weekend. Quote "To win games you have got to create chances . I think we have goals in the team, but it will happen from players understanding each other better.' Kompany backed midfielder Josh Brownhill to find the net on a regular basis this season. "I think Josh will get a lot of goals this season, he is threatening" added Kompany.

By using terms like "on a regular basis" and "a lot of goals this season" he cannot be talking about 5 or 6. Kompany would have to be talking 15 or 20.
I'm a big Brownhill fan, but does anyone seriously think he's going to notch close to 15 this season let alone 20.

The only attacking midfielders I can recall hitting those numbers in recent seasons are Gerrard and Lampard, who got a fair amount of their goals from free kicks and penalties.

And a few of the megabucks City team might have bagged those sort of tallies, but City are a total one-off in how they set up and play the game, however even they have beefed up their attacking options by signing a true number 9.

If Brownhill gets 8-10 I'll that consider a good return by him, I understand the philosophy of spreading goals throughout the team, but right now I'm struggling to see who's going to hit double figures, and that includes our present strikers.
These 2 users liked this post: warksclaret Quicknick

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:29 pm
I'm a big Brownhill fan, but does anyone seriously think he's going to notch close to 15 this season let alone 20.

The only attacking midfielders I can recall hitting those numbers in recent seasons are Gerrard and Lampard, who got a fair amount of their goals from free kicks and penalties.

And a few of the megabucks City team might have bagged those sort of tallies, but City are a total one-off in how they set up and play the game, however even they have beefed up their attacking options by signing a true number 9.

If Brownhill gets 8-10 I'll that consider a good return by him, I understand the philosophy of spreading goals throughout the team, but right now I'm struggling to see who's going to hit double figures, and that includes our present strikers.
If Brownhill gets 10 that will be double his best ever seasons goal return.

It’s possible but it would be a dramatic increase.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:32 pm

Nixon
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-15 10.31.46 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-08-15 10.31.46 AM.png (56.8 KiB) Viewed 4979 times
This user liked this post: jen1066

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:33 pm

There’s going to be a lot of expectation on Twine, at this rate. I don’t see goals from many of our squad, new or old, but time will tell.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:35 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:31 pm
If Brownhill gets 10 that will be double his best ever seasons goal return.

It’s possible but it would be a dramatic increase.
That's why I'd consider it a decent season if he nets near 10, he will score the odd belter, as he showed against Luton, but he's not yet a natural finisher/

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:38 pm

DCWat wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:33 pm
There’s going to be a lot of expectation on Twine, at this rate. I don’t see goals from many of our squad, new or old, but time will tell.
Twine should give us an extra dimension when fit, but when that will be who knows, and the games are coming thick and fast already.

Newcastleclaret93

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:38 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:35 pm
That's why I'd consider it a decent season if he nets near 10, he will score the odd belter, as he showed against Luton, but he's not yet a natural finisher/
Fair comment.

I would personally prefer someone like Twine or (Ohare/new signing) to play Brownhills role. With Brownhill dropping slightly deeper.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:41 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:35 pm
Never will be, he's got lots of good attributes in his locker but a few weaknesses that said I think he's 1 of the best midfielders in this league & most teams in this league he'd be guaranteed starter.

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:46 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:38 pm
Fair comment.

I would personally prefer someone like Twine or (Ohare/new signing) to play Brownhills role. With Brownhill dropping slightly deeper.
I'd just to see Twine playing first and foremost, he'd add some thrust to our attacks I feel.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:48 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:46 pm
I'd just to see Twine playing first and foremost, he'd add some thrust to our attacks I feel.
it was very noticeable at Huddersfield that pretty much all his passes were one touch and accurate

tiger76

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:48 pm
it was very noticeable at Huddersfield that pretty much all his passes were one touch and accurate
Yes but we haven't maintained those standards since, and even at Huddersfield after a bright 1st half, although comfortable in the 2nd, we never really looked like adding to our lead.

We're playing some nice stuff, but it's that final touch of quality we need in the final third, as Watford illustrated perfectly on Friday, they scored a well worked goal with their only effort on target, well despite creating several good chances 2nd half we couldn't find the net.

Possession is one thing, but it's making that possession tell where it really matters that's our achilles heel presently, as it was in many games last season to cost us vital points ultimately.
These 2 users liked this post: claretgimmer Rumpelstiltskin

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:09 pm

Goody1975 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:56 pm
Factually that may be correct but if our top scorer gets 19 goals then the rest of the side will need to chip in with more than 50 goals, maybe pushing towards 60 if we play an attacking and at times risky gameplan which leaves us open at the back.

Most promoted sides at this level score in excess of 70 goals to finish in the top two or have an excellent goals against column.

This mythical goalscorer is the one capable of winning games against the odds (Andre Gray at Bolton and Birmingham), without them tight games finish in draws and then there are loads of ifs, buts and maybes.

You make your own luck on the field but that is also the case in terms of squad development and transfer dealings.
My point is, who have we been linked with who sounds likely to bag 20? A proven 20+ striker at this level is likely more than we can afford so we're more likely to be taking a punt on someone unproven. The Ukrainian lad looks about the best I've seen from the old highlights reels but he's a gamble at the price.

Better to aim to try and get goals from all over the park in our situation rather than stick all our eggs in one basket. No doubt we do need another forward though.
This user liked this post: Zlatan

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 pm

The way to look at it is a striker hitting 20 goals if we keep a tight defence will give us a huge amount of EXTRA points. How many "three points" did Andre Gray get us in the Championship with his goals

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:30 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:26 pm
The way to look at it is a striker hitting 20 goals if we keep a tight defence will give us a huge amount of EXTRA points. How many "three points" did Andre Gray get us in the Championship with his goals
ELEVEN, I think 👍🏻
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:34 pm

I think it's imperative we get a goal-scoring striker, and I think VK knows this, whatever he says publically.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:35 pm

Absolutely agree on Gray, he was top. How much did he cost? And how much would he cost now?

That's the problem.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:40 pm

tiger76 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:55 pm
Yes but we haven't maintained those standards since, and even at Huddersfield after a bright 1st half, although comfortable in the 2nd, we never really looked like adding to our lead.

We're playing some nice stuff, but it's that final touch of quality we need in the final third, as Watford illustrated perfectly on Friday, they scored a well worked goal with their only effort on target, well despite creating several good chances 2nd half we couldn't find the net.

Possession is one thing, but it's making that possession tell where it really matters that's our achilles heel presently, as it was in many games last season to cost us vital points ultimately.

To be fair their keeper had a worldie, and on another day it could have been 1- 3

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:35 pm
Absolutely agree on Gray, he was top. How much did he cost? And how much would he cost now?

That's the problem.
I think we paid £9 million for Gray, so he wasn't cheap.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:57 pm

Gray was also signed after first couple of league games when Dyche realised Vossen wasn’t the man for us

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:00 pm

groove wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 pm
7m

https://www.skysports.com/football/news ... -brentford

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 pm

Gray may have cost us £7m but he was the most influential player in getting us promoted (Championship Player of the year), which earned us around £130m for 6 years, then we sold him for circa £16m

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:31 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:26 pm
Gray may have cost us £7m but he was the most influential player in getting us promoted (Championship Player of the year), which earned us around £130m for 6 years, then we sold him for circa £16m
Yes no one disagrees but the point is a similar profile striker is 15m+

Hedontplayforyou
Been Liked: 545 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Hedontplayforyou » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:34 pm

Looks like whoever the number 9 will be that we sign will be an unknown quantity at this level from abroad

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:42 pm

groove wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:55 pm
Yep 9 mil. He'd scored 18 the season before. Not sure you'd get someone who scored 18 last season for 9 million now. Not sure we'd be willing/able to pay 9 million now.

Claretnick
Been Liked: 214 times
Has Liked: 191 times

Post by Claretnick » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:47 pm

Not a Burnley rumour but Fabrizio has tweeted Newcastle have bid £20m for Pedro from Watford, rejected for now.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... PiVBRpF6qg

Whitgord
Been Liked: 250 times
Has Liked: 678 times

Post by Whitgord » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:50 pm

I think we need to spend 20m on two proven strikers. I don’t think we will spend 10m on even one. We are going to have to take a gamble on someone unproven. That is the reality of Burnley FC today.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:00 pm

Whitgord wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:50 pm
I think we need to spend 20m on two proven strikers. I don’t think we will spend 10m on even one. We are going to have to take a gamble on someone unproven. That is the reality of Burnley FC today.
Today and pretty much our entire history to be fair.
This user liked this post: Whitgord

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:09 pm

The point I am making about Gray is the importance of a goal scorer. The challenge for the club is an acceptance we need one, the second challenge is finding that player at a price we are prepared to play. At the moment what I am hearing on this Board and by VK is that we don't need one.I am not paid thousands to recruit the right players for our club, but a few weeks ago Lukas Joao of Reading was being targetted by another cliub at a cost below £4m. This guy has scored 38 goals in 80 games in a very struggling Reading side. I am sure Reading could do with the money right now.The players are out there-we just need to be smart and stop using excuses

Boxy
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Boxy » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:41 pm

Joao has a long injury history

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:42 pm

Hedontplayforyou wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:34 pm
Looks like whoever the number 9 will be that we sign will be an unknown quantity at this level from abroad
Is Ray Pointer still about??
.. now he was a proper No. 9.
He chased every ball...never gave up and sweated blood every game.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:59 pm

Claretnick wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:47 pm
Not a Burnley rumour but Fabrizio has tweeted Newcastle have bid £20m for Pedro from Watford, rejected for now.

https://twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/stat ... PiVBRpF6qg
I had missed this. Brilliant news for us if they lose him.

jurek
Been Liked: 309 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by jurek » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:22 pm

It doesn't sound like Kompany thinks we need another striker given what he
has said recently. Maybe he's hoping we'll do a Man City (from last season)
when they won the league without an out and out striker albeit they've now
gone out and got one.
It'll be interesting to see how we get on with our current crop and whether
we can get the goals we will need to win games.

We would need 3 or 4 players to hit double figures and at present that seems
difficult to see but it's early days yet. We're creating chances which is the good news.

I suspect he'll see where we get to before the break for the World Cup
and then his hand may be forced if we're struggling to win enough games.
But then it may well be difficult to acquire someone who can put the
ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:28 pm

jurek wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:22 pm
It doesn't sound like Kompany thinks we need another striker given what he
has said recently. Maybe he's hoping we'll do a Man City (from last season)
when they won the league without an out and out striker albeit they've now
gone out and got one.
It'll be interesting to see how we get on with our current crop and whether
we can get the goals we will need to win games.

We would need 3 or 4 players to hit double figures and at present that seems
difficult to see but it's early days yet. We're creating chances which is the good news.

I suspect he'll see where we get to before the break for the World Cup
and then his hand may be forced if we're struggling to win enough games.
But then it may well be difficult to acquire someone who can put the
ball in the back of the net on a regular basis.
How could we sign anyone before January ?

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:28 pm
How could we sign anyone before January ?
I think the suggestion is assess how we do, between now and the World Cup and if it looks as though we need a striker, target one in January.

My view is that we don’t need to wait to see if we need one. We do need one, and in this window.

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 pm

Salernitana is moving forward on the transfer of Boulaye Dia on a paying loan of 1.5M € with an option to buy 11.5M € !

The Granata are also close to signing Artem Dovbyk on loan with an obligation to buy if they stay.

( @DiMarzio )

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:10 am

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 pm
Salernitana is moving forward on the transfer of Boulaye Dia on a paying loan of 1.5M € with an option to buy 11.5M € !

The Granata are also close to signing Artem Dovbyk on loan with an obligation to buy if they stay.

( @DiMarzio )
https://gianlucadimarzio.com/it/calciom ... gosto-2022