Promotion essential or not this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Promotion essential or not this season

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 am

Well it would be nice to make an immediate PL return, I don't see it as imperative, as long as we're showing progress under Kompany, and the new signings prove their worth.

I'm comfortable with Vincent Kompany lowering expectations in the short term, and the pure scale of our squad rebuild means we might not contend right at the top of the Championship instantly, new manager, new style, and a large overhaul in the playing side, will all take time to implement, so patience is the watch word in my view, especially given the youngsters we're signing.

VK was always going to face a challenge whether we were in the PL or the Championship, but it may well help that we're now a Championship club to allow him to lower the average age in the squad, something which was desperately required, also the number of experienced stalwarts who've now moved on for a variety of reasons might open up a pathway for some of our existing youngsters if they're good enough to grasp it.

Obviously we do need to get back to the PL soon, but if it takes a couple of seasons to achieve then so be it, as long as we're better prepared if and when we do return to the top table.
This user liked this post: beddie

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2124 times
Has Liked: 3034 times

Re: Promotion essential or not this season

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:05 am

It certainly has to be the aim, BUT if we finish top with a young exciting team still in the process of gelling, i'll not be unhappy.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8401 times
Has Liked: 18047 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 am

tiger76 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:04 am
Well it would be nice to make an immediate PL return, I don't see it as imperative, as long as we're showing progress under Kompany, and the new signings prove their worth.

I'm comfortable with Vincent Kompany lowering expectations in the short term, and the pure scale of our squad rebuild means we might not contend right at the top of the Championship instantly, new manager, new style, and a large overhaul in the playing side, will all take time to implement, so patience is the watch word in my view, especially given the youngsters we're signing.

VK was always going to face a challenge whether we were in the PL or the Championship, but it may well help that we're now a Championship club to allow him to lower the average age in the squad, something which was desperately required, also the number of experienced stalwarts who've now moved on for a variety of reasons might open up a pathway for some of our existing youngsters if they're good enough to grasp it.

Obviously we do need to get back to the PL soon, but if it takes a couple of seasons to achieve then so be it, as long as we're better prepared if and when we do return to the top table.
If we get the signing of young Egan-Riley we are signing a tough young player ... Apparently he came through "The Tanks" at City according to Lancs Live 🤭🤭🤭 don'tcha just love typos
20220629_090359.jpg
20220629_090359.jpg (335.61 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1580 times
Has Liked: 887 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:08 am

Essential for me. Not for footballing reasons, but purely financial ones.

Also, for all this talk of 5 year projects with Kompany at the helm, it very rarely works out like that.

If he does well then he’ll inevitably be poached by a bigger club, considering how big a name he was as a player, and if he underperforms then we’ll get rid of him.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 am

No its not essential this season which will disappoint the s*** or bust merchants.
These 2 users liked this post: Nori1958 depechedingle

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 784 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:37 am

Agree it’s not essential even though it’s desirable. What I believe is very important is the influence of those senior players like Cork must have on what is going to be a much changed team and a much younger team. A couple of more experienced signings may be necessary.
VK’s influence and experience on players wanting to join the Clarets illustrates what a great appointment it is.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3825 times
Has Liked: 2050 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:43 am

It's not essential, selling our best players will keep the wolves away.

And all these young lads should make a profit next year or the year after.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1557 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 am

Quite clearly the club is heading in one of two directions.

Either we get back to the prem asap whilst we still have some funds.

Or we sell all of remaining assets (Collins, Cornet, McNeil, Roberts) and we go back to being a lower end championship team. But at least the debt will be paid off.

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:20 am

Not essential to me but of course would be nice.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:21 am

No, but it is essential it happens within the next two after that or I fear it will not happen again for a very long time if at all because the gap is just getting bigger and bigger

DCWat
Been Liked: 4127 times
Has Liked: 3594 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:23 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 am
Quite clearly the club is heading in one of two directions.

Either we get back to the prem asap whilst we still have some funds.

Or we sell all of remaining assets (Collins, Cornet, McNeil, Roberts) and we go back to being a lower end championship team. But at least the debt will be paid off.
Selling those assets doesn’t automatically mean becoming a lower end championship team. It doesn’t make the task any easier, but let’s not write off the new signings so quickly.

An immediate return is important, from a financial perspective and from the point that each year we remain in the Championship, the more difficult it becomes to get back up. Next year there will be another three teams dropping, likely with a big budget and ambition to return at the first attempt.

Kompany has a big challenge ahead of him. We really need some of these young signings to hit the ground running and I hope that we bring in some who have a bit more experience at this level to help with that.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3433 times
Has Liked: 6338 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:25 am

Personally, I'd like to see us bounce back at the first attempt, but I don't think it's essential.

I wouldn't be unhappy with top 6 and a day out to Wembley, or even finish 2nd.

I honestly don't know how strong the championship is anymore, so I don't know if we could win the league like we did under Dyche.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2270 times
Has Liked: 2150 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:26 am

Not for me personally, I’d like top 6 though to show we are one of the best sides in the league. If we fall away near the end finishing 10th but look a decent young side for the following year, that will do for me.

BigChaCha
Been Liked: 253 times

Post by BigChaCha » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:34 am

A lot depends if all of our saleable assets leave and if any do stay, is also dependant on how many of them sulk or not!...

If we lose them all, then I say, no chance of promotion... Not only will we be a totally different team but also an extremely young and inexperienced team and a team that is going to have to learn a totally different style of play and tactics very quickly... We are buying mainly unknowns, even by championship standards so let's not get carried away...

In the scenario of losing all of our saleable assets then it is extremely naive to think we will be in contention for the play-off final, let alone an automatic place!...

As long as we stay away from a relegation dog fight, then I'm happy to give VK 2 or 3 seasons to get us playing like he truly wants and to get us a promotion but I have a feeling our fans won't give him that time to make his mark.

depechedingle
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 276 times

Post by depechedingle » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:56 pm

Not essential for me and our expectations should match this and those stated by Vincent Kompany.

It will a season of transition, one where our team will contain many currently unknown players to us and one where a new style of football as we know it will be implemented. To add the pressure and demand for immediate promotion will not allow these young players time to grow, make mistakes and be nurtured.

Quite happy for this season to be what it will be, obviously wouldn't be keen on a bottom six battle. We need to be a patient not demanding fanbase this year.

Certainly will be interesting and something I'm looking forward to.
These 2 users liked this post: Whitgord tiger76

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2553 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:00 pm

Would be nice if we could get promoted to somewhere other than m the PL. Been there done that. Main reason I'd like us to get promoted this season is so we have more chance of keeping our best players.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1557 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:05 pm

DCWat wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:23 am
Selling those assets doesn’t automatically mean becoming a lower end championship team. It doesn’t make the task any easier, but let’s not write off the new signings so quickly.

An immediate return is important, from a financial perspective and from the point that each year we remain in the Championship, the more difficult it becomes to get back up. Next year there will be another three teams dropping, likely with a big budget and ambition to return at the first attempt.

Kompany has a big challenge ahead of him. We really need some of these young signings to hit the ground running and I hope that we bring in some who have a bit more experience at this level to help with that.
I am pretty confident selling those assets means we will just be back to being a low end championship team.

Promotion whilst we still have decent turnover following relegation is critical. If we don’t achieve that then it’s likely we won’t do it again. Barring a manager miracle similar to Dyche.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 727 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:06 pm

I think it has to be the target and essential by next season at the latest. Otherwise I truly believe between finances, the academy issues, and shape of the team/transfer policy, we may not return to the top flight for another 10, 20+ years and risk becoming little more than a development squad for Premier League sides.
I've bashed Pace plenty but I will not bash his ambitious target of Europe in 6 years. We have to be ambitious and aspire to return to the top table ASAP because the longer we leave it the harder it will get, regardless of our current need to rebuild.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 4977 times
Has Liked: 6658 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:17 pm

Essential , 3 more teams the season after with parachute payments makes it even harder to get up.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1896 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:35 pm

I would be very happy to get back to the PL next season. However, if we are playing entertaining, attractive football and scoring goals, that would be a big step in the right direction.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3783 times
Has Liked: 1069 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:04 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:14 am
No its not essential this season which will disappoint the s*** or bust merchants.
So you keep saying but it appears we aren't going **** or bust..... we're selling anything that breathes and replacing with loans and £2m players.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:09 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:04 pm
So you keep saying but it appears we aren't going **** or bust..... we're selling anything that breathes and replacing with loans and £2m players.
Erm, we've sold a grand total of 1 player so far, who many knew would stay in the PL, for a decent fee. And signed 2 of the best talents in the football league.

But apart from that, spot on again buddy!
These 2 users liked this post: Smile tiger76

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3052 times
Has Liked: 5015 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:10 pm

I would love it if we went straight back up, but I think we'd be better off in 2 years time. Just because this squad will lack the experience to mount a successful survival campaign.

That said, we don't know what's in store for us. Maybe we can show enough promise to give it a go.