I now understand why John Bond got so hated

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3825 times
Has Liked: 2050 times

I now understand why John Bond got so hated

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:35 am

Not being about in the Bond years I didn't understand why Clarets hated him so much, but I joined in the chants anyway as that's what longsiders did. It was adding to the on edge atmosphere the Turf was famous for.

When I have read reports later, it seems he wasn't at fault as much as other managers etc..

But I'm getting the same vibes all over social media now from Burnley fans about Garlick for selling the club after a successful stint and WW for not performing in a struggling side for 5 months like we would hope and saying he wouldn't be playing in the championship, like they agreed beforehand in his contract.

Do Burnley fans always have to hate someone? Has it been passed down the years?

The abuse them two are getting is way over the top.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Re: I now understand why John Bond got so hated

Post by Tinribs » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:41 am

Garlick and Weghorst have massively disrespected the people of Burnley,that’s why they are getting slated.
These 2 users liked this post: tarkys_ears Stayingup

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:35 am
Not being about in the Bond years I didn't understand why Clarets hated him so much, but I joined in the chants anyway as that's what longsiders did. It was adding to the on edge atmosphere the Turf was famous for.

When I have read reports later, it seems he wasn't at fault as much as other managers etc..

But I'm getting the same vibes all over social media now from Burnley fans about Garlick for selling the club after a successful stint and WW for not performing in a struggling side for 5 months like we would hope and saying he wouldn't be playing in the championship, like they agreed beforehand in his contract.

Do Burnley fans always have to hate someone? Has it been passed down the years?

The abuse them two are getting is way over the top.
I used to think that part of our demise was because Garlick didn't invest for years, but Kompany coming in and see what he's trying to do and the kind of players he's targeting, I think Dyche probably was part of the problem when it came to incomings. Way too short term.

Garlick didn't want the club anymore and we cant't expect him to keep hold of it indefinitely until a buyer we all love comes along.

Weghorst has really irritated the whole fanbase. To miss so many chances last year and then to come out days after we're relegated and say he's no playing in the Championship. I think most felt he owed us a season after we put our faith in him and paid him good money, so his is more deserved.
These 2 users liked this post: Dark Cloud Colburn_Claret

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2270 times
Has Liked: 2150 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:54 am

It happens at all clubs, especially the passionate clubs.

The fans at places like Newcastle, Everton, Utd, West Ham etc can be absolutely toxic towards their owners, far worse than you read on here or hear in the ground.

I’ve absolutely no hatred towards Garlick, we can all wish he’d done things differently but I’ll not lose too much sleep

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2418 times
Has Liked: 1972 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am

Only Garlick and Dyche will no which had the greater say on incomings. I suspect Garlick, trying to protect the club seemed his primary concern from going solo Chairman.

Weghorst is een kut. Google translate my opinion of the slug.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1465 times
Has Liked: 1838 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:17 am

Garlick shafted Sean and left him trying to do the job with one hand behind his back gambling on Sean's ability to wring every ounce from his players.Not backing Sean in the windows cost us several targets that would have made us a better team and made Garlick money .Watkins, Bowen,Toney and Cash were all targets that we offered far too little for .Wout shat on the fans lacking the decency to admit that his poor finishing added to our relegation and then refusing to be part of our team to get promoted
The deal allowing him to go was a serious error
Now he will never be able to come back as any little credibility has gone and he will be known as another ex Bundesleiga flop who thought our Premier was easy.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:55 am
Only Garlick and Dyche will no which had the greater say on incomings. I suspect Garlick, trying to protect the club seemed his primary concern from going solo Chairman.

Weghorst is een kut. Google translate my opinion of the slug.
I suspect Dyche, wanting to protect his image and “brand” was far too cautious about the type of player he would accept.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 am

Lord, Teasdale and Laws were also popular.

:)

Rowls
Been Liked: 5063 times
Has Liked: 5120 times

Post by Rowls » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 am

I have to say I find some of the 'conspiracy theory' type of opinions on Dyche to be utterly bizarre.

He actually copmlained about being pigeon-holed as an "old-fashioned" manager. We've never had such an in depth analysis team or a fitter squad with better medical care.

Dyche is in the past now but one of the few things he was ever truly lacking in was better financial backing.
These 7 users liked this post: fatboy47 Colburn_Claret evensteadiereddie jetblackcat yTib bfcjg pureclaret

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:25 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:17 am
Garlick shafted Sean and left him trying to do the job with one hand behind his back gambling on Sean's ability to wring every ounce from his players.Not backing Sean in the windows cost us several targets that would have made us a better team and made Garlick money .Watkins, Bowen,Toney and Cash were all targets that we offered far too little for .Wout shat on the fans lacking the decency to admit that his poor finishing added to our relegation and then refusing to be part of our team to get promoted
The deal allowing him to go was a serious error
Now he will never be able to come back as any little credibility has gone and he will be known as another ex Bundesleiga flop who thought our Premier was easy.
This is the nonsense I'm talking about.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32058 times
Has Liked: 5241 times

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am

Rowls wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 am
I have to say I find some of the 'conspiracy theory' type of opinions on Dyche to be utterly bizarre.

He actually copmlained about being pigeon-holed as an "old-fashioned" manager. We've never had such an in depth analysis team or a fitter squad with better medical care.

Dyche is in the past now but one of the few things he was ever truly lacking in was better financial backing.
I think that sums up my thoughts Rowls - and Dyche should be lauded for the way he dragged our club forward from where it was.
These 5 users liked this post: Rowls Colburn_Claret evensteadiereddie jetblackcat CanuckClaret

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 230 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:37 am

What has Weghorst said or done to upset the people of Burnley?
This user liked this post: ClaretFelix

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1580 times
Has Liked: 887 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:53 am

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:36 am
I think that sums up my thoughts Rowls - and Dyche should be lauded for the way he dragged our club forward from where it was.
Regardless of how and why he left and how last season unfolded, when the dust settles he should probably have a statue built or at the very least some form of recognition from the club.

He was one of our best ever employees.
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Lord_Bob

beddie
Been Liked: 1377 times
Has Liked: 508 times

Post by beddie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:56 am

I never thought Bond deserved the vitriol he received. WW would have been better saying nothing and just letting his Agent get on with things. I’m not convinced as some are that he would have scored plenty in the championship even with our proposed change of system. Did Dyche really want him, probably not. Garlick is a business man, he had every right to do what he did, unfortunately whilst in the process of doing it he threw Dyche’s plans up in the air. We are where we are. Thank goodness for Dyche though, he transformed our club and raised our image big style, for that I’ll always be grateful to him.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3052 times
Has Liked: 5015 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:41 pm

Rowls wrote:

I agree, I'd also add it's far easier to rebuild in the championship, than in the Prem. When you know your job is on the line, it's a hell of a risk to buy, or play, youngsters.
The squad was too old, but there was good reason for it. It wasn't all down to finances.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:49 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:43 am
I used to think that part of our demise was because Garlick didn't invest for years, but Kompany coming in and see what he's trying to do and the kind of players he's targeting, I think Dyche probably was part of the problem when it came to incomings. Way too short term.
Interestingly, I’ve just been reading some Palace fans views and how they believe Hodgson was holding them back recruitment wise for many years. Suggestion is he vetoed several younger type players over the years.

They are now on the verge of signing Cheick Doucore for £20m, one of the brightest young midfield prospects in Europe. They’ve just signed a young talented Derby player ahead of Man United. That’s added to the business they did last summer with Olise, Guehi etc.

Very similar project there to what we are doing, Viera has that pull like Kompany, albeit now at different levels.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3145 times
Has Liked: 10168 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:55 pm

Weghorst has done nothing except make it clear that he does not want to play in the Championship and, quite rightly as a professional footballer, playing for his country in the forthcoming World Cup is a massive priority.
I don't blame him.
If some Burnley fans are going to whine like jilted lovers so be it.
These 2 users liked this post: Quickenthetempo ClaretFelix

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:55 pm
Weghorst has done nothing except make it clear that he does not want to play in the Championship and, quite rightly as a professional footballer, playing for his country in the forthcoming World Cup is a massive priority.
I don't blame him.
It was a question asked abroad, which he answered.

Some Burnley fans are acting like he came back to Burnley and was deliberately arrogant saying Burnley are too crap for me now in a club interview.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:19 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
I don't blame him.
I'd tend to agree but I don't think playing in the Championship would affect his WC chance one bit. He's taking a deal to go to Turkey which isn't a great standard of football.

He's still being picked even though he's scored 2 goals in the PL since January, and the Dutch are badly short in the striker department.

There's no way that if he put up 15 or so between the start of the season and the WC squads being announced that he would be omitted.

It's all about the money, and the WC is a very convenient excuse.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 295 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:52 pm

If his contract says he doesn't have to play in the Championship, he doesn't have to play in the Championship. Whether he would be affected regarding the WC is for him to judge. I would have no problem if he went anywhere on loan for a season and then came back - Championship or not.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:54 pm

Rowls wrote:

If you believe Dyche then you will believe the implied criticism that he didn’t have money to spend. Perhaps the fact he was “forced” to take Cornet and WW is indicative of the Board finally running out of patience with his constant refusal to sign new players.

Luppy
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by Luppy » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:37 pm

Dyche didn't get the financial backing he probably merited, but one thing that appears to be constant in recent incomings is how impressed they are with the training facilities etc. He deserves huge credit for modernising us in that sense as what we had on his arrival is incomparable to now. How easy it would have been for him to spend that money on the squad, but he chose a different route putting the Club first.

Great manager who has laid the foundations for, hopefully, our next great manager VK
This user liked this post: bfcjg

Barlickclaret
Been Liked: 85 times

Post by Barlickclaret » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm

We were in the prem league, and in no debt under garlick.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:50 pm

Bullabill wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:52 pm
If his contract says he doesn't have to play in the Championship, he doesn't have to play in the Championship. Whether he would be affected regarding the WC is for him to judge. I would have no problem if he went anywhere on loan for a season and then came back - Championship or not.
You might not have a problem with WW. but I'd imagine the lads who slogged their way to promotion may have if that scenario plays out.

Does he seriously imagine he'd be welcomed back with open arms after beggaring off to Turkey, rather than staying and fighting to get us back up.

If his contract states he doesn't have to play in the Championship, then strictly he's within his rights to ask for a move, but it's the manner he's behaving which is getting the Burnley fans backs up.

Take Cornet for example, he's likely to also leave, but I don't hear him speaking out in the press, he's just allowing things to run their natural course.

joey13
Been Liked: 1767 times
Has Liked: 1230 times

Post by joey13 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
I don't blame him.
Championship is his level though

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:55 pm

Barlickclaret wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:51 pm
We were in the prem league, and in no debt under garlick.
You do realize why we are in debt , don’t you ?

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3145 times
Has Liked: 10168 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:29 pm

joey13 wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:54 pm
Championship is his level though
He'd be fine in a decent PL side that played to his strengths.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 913 times
Has Liked: 2724 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:37 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am
I suspect Dyche, wanting to protect his image and “brand” was far too cautious about the type of player he would accept.
Yes I agree to a point about Dyche, but with sufficient financial backing I suspect he would have brought better players but still with the attitude he wanted. He would never have had the Weghortst type, more tge Pope, Tarkowski and Barton all excellent Dyche signings.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:40 pm

We can all have different opinions on things but none of these mentioned have done enough to be hated.

You don't have to like them but just keep it in perspective.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 913 times
Has Liked: 2724 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:41 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:18 am
Yes I agree to a point about Dyche, but with sufficient financial backing I suspect he would have brought better players but still with the attitude he wanted. He would never have had the Weghortst type, more tge Pope, Tarkowski and Barton all excellent Dyche signings.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:43 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:41 pm
Garlick walked away when we had built up 30m I think? 80 in bank but just got paid an installment from the Premier league that was for wages.

6m×5 years. If the board/directors paid themselves there wouldn't have been a surplus.
Or he could have brought in a squad player every year, 2m fee 50k a week.
Would that be enough to make us better?

Dy he let too many players walk away for nothing, that's where his funding went. In my opinion of course.

joey13

Post by joey13 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:52 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:29 pm
He'd be fine in a decent PL side that played to his strengths.
He’s far too slow for the Premier League , I thought that was obvious.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:10 pm

I know Claret Tony pulled me up on my criticism of John Bond. However in the clear light of day JB did make some dreadful decisions.