Pies .Why Hollands?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Re: Pies .Why Hollands?

Post by rob63 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:52 pm

Venkys4eva wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:06 pm
Thats owned by james hall now (spar) i dont think they can compete with Hollands on price.
Yeah, they're available in most Spar shops now........they make a weird Lemon Iced bun with Lemon Curd inside!

If you're in Blackpool & suffering from Haffners withdrawal symptoms there's a good pie shop past the Winter Gardens a block from the old Post office, excellent steak pies & decent pork pies.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 589 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:56 pm

California Colner wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:16 pm
What they should do is have different brands to create competition, then you’ll notice the quality of the pies go up.
The cream will rise to the top
What if they brought a selection of pies in from Manchester with newer flavours coming in from Belgium, would anyone complain, do you think?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:19 pm

ClaretCliff wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:55 pm
Sorry Silky, got the school wrong. Knew you didn’t go to HGS.
I guess the Roger you remember was Roger Hoyle, lived in Rawtenstall but went to HGS. Is the Bob you mention Bob Alderson? He went to HGS and worked at Hollands. I used to go to Burnley matches with Bob and still see him, and Roger, occasionally.
I know Chris Chaplow and I think I remember John Wardle. I do remember one lad from Piccadilly st. Are you JS?
Remember the names now and I think Bob had an older brother. Wag lived on Bent St., close by Haslingden Cricket Club. May have worked alongside you in 1970. There was a student who had just completed a year at uni, somewhere like Bristol. People you may know that I was good friends with were Kevin Tuohey( played cricket for Haslingden), Brian Riley( Benny) and I knew Les Dearden well. Not JS but first letter is correct.

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:24 pm

I did know a Dearden, used to go to Burnley Matches, but can’t remember his first name. Les doesn’t sound quite right.

I guess we need to meet up at the ground for a quick chat. I can’t make first home game but will put a post up for your attention before first game I am going to.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1698 times
Has Liked: 2535 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:13 pm

Sounds good to me. Let Dearden lived in Helmshore and went on to become MD in the motor car industry. An avid Claret when he was younger. Anyway, take care and see you soon.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:27 pm

It’s horses for courses. Holland’s pies are ok and they can produce them in volumes required for a football crowd. Haffners in my humble opinion are way better. However, can Haffners produce circa 1000+ pies each match day and sustain whatever sale or return deal BFC have currently got in place?
A big thumbs up for Holland’s is I can buy their pies when I am over in Tenerife. I don’t eat them daily when out there but enjoy the odd pie treat. Pies are a subjective subject as we all have different tastes and preference, but I think the folks of East Lancs are good judges of a quality pie. Didn’t Stan once refer to us all as pie eaters?