Revisionist History…

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Revisionist History…

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:55 pm

Some of the guff I’ve seen on here and other social media sights (namely Twitter) about Sean Dyche and his tenure is complete and utter b******s and it’s highly disrespectful for one of our greatest ever managers.

I’m hearing/seeing things from crapping on his press conference style compared with VKs, to saying how much better our signings are now that Dyche isn’t involved (youth etc as though Dyche never bought/developed players) and then about Dyche’s play style as though we couldn’t string two passes together and only ever parked the bus and hoofed it.

The worst is probably putting Kompany on an untouchable pedestal - I’m extremely happy with VK so far and excited about the season ahead but let’s not get ahead of ourselves… We haven’t kicked a ball yet.

If VK has a Burnley career even a 1/4 as successful as Dyche’s then I’ll consider it a great appointment.

It was probably the time to part ways (dumb of Pace to give a 4 year extension mind) but to totally dismiss what Sean’s achievements & contributions to BFC were absolutely stinks.

UTC
These 31 users liked this post: Rowls Lancasterclaret BurnleyFC tiger76 Bigvince ClaretPete001 longsidepies GodIsADeeJay81 yTib ervi34 Mattster evensteadiereddie Bosscat Hapag Lloyd Top Claret IanMcL GaryClaret Brucefanclaret Juan Tanamera bfcjg jedi_master summitclaret Stayingup Colburn_Claret Foshiznik jetblackcat elwaclaret JohnMac martin_p spt_claret k90bfc

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Re: Revisionist History…

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Only the incredibly stupid can’t see what a fantastic job he did to keep us at that level for so long.

They’ll be the first ones to jump on VK’s back if we are not top by September.
These 17 users liked this post: Lancasterclaret Winstonswhite DCWat tiger76 GodIsADeeJay81 evensteadiereddie Bosscat CoolClaret Hapag Lloyd cblantfanclub GaryClaret Juan Tanamera bfcjg jedi_master Stayingup gukwonan k90bfc

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:01 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm

Only the incredibly stupid can’t see what a fantastic job he did to keep us at that level for so long.

This

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:12 pm

Being a football fan is a fickle business.

We al know he did great. We developed Gawthorp and we got a trip into the Europa.

But fans tend to hold idealogical views about their club and manager.

He’s good for us. Until he isnt. Then they want him out.

The minute what SD wanted what was best for SD and not the best for club, Thats the point you have to let go.

I feel like he got to the point where he thought he was untouchable and forgot to look after the long term of the club.

The demise of his squad and the squads regard (or lack of) for SD at the end meant it all went a bit sour in the end.

A timely reminder that no one person is bigger than the club
These arent facts. Just opinions. And we all have opinions.
This user liked this post: claretfern

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:18 pm

It’s strange, but isn’t really representative of our fan base as a whole.

I genuinely don’t know anyone that actually wanted Sean Dyche to leave when he did.

Notsosuperstevedavis
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Notsosuperstevedavis » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:24 pm

I wanted him to stay till the end of the season at least. But its futile making these decisions/conclusions when we

1 dont make the decisions
2 dont know all the facts.

What I will say was. On hearing the news I was ambivalent.

I’d come to the conclusion that if you continue to put the same in. You’ll get the same out. It was madness to assume differently.

At least with a change, it had to represent a positive change and improve our chances of staying up. As we all know from games #1 through to #30 (aside from the odd outlier, Brighton 3-0) the results were dire.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:29 pm

No great shock.
The same has happened to the previous owner, ignore the good work that the club will benefit from for years to come, or even give the credit to someone else.

It's football, for some reason people fail to engage their brains at times and let their emotions run wild
This user liked this post: Bosscat

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:47 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:29 pm
No great shock.
The same has happened to the previous owner, ignore the good work that the club will benefit from for years to come, or even give the credit to someone else.

It's football, for some reason people fail to engage their brains at times and let their emotions run wild
On the one hand you have facts:

He was the most successful manager in the last 50 years with 7 out of 9 years in the PL, an EFL Championship title, best placed top flight position since since 1972/73. First, European campaign for 60 years

He ran a squad that achieved 7th in the PL with tens of millions in the bank..!

And the other, no one knows what kind of legacy will bear fruit from what the owners did so it's not the same.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:08 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:47 pm
On the one hand you have facts:

He was the most successful manager in the last 50 years with 7 out of 9 years in the PL, an EFL Championship title, best placed top flight position since since 1972/73. First, European campaign for 60 years

He ran a squad that achieved 7th in the PL with tens of millions in the bank..!

And the other, no one knows what kind of legacy will bear fruit from what the owners did so it's not the same.
I watched the interview with the new signing, Egan-Riley and he was asked what he thought of the place and he was very positive.
The same with the earlier signing.

The training ground is helping to attract players, because it's a very good quality set up, not Man City level, but not Rovers level either.

That's a legacy from the previous ownership spending think you'll find.
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Bosscat Juan Tanamera k90bfc

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:26 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:

Exactly this 👍

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:35 pm

Why a minority of posters can't see the cracking job SD did for us baffles me, yes the last 2 years have been poor in comparison to what he delivered previously, and it almost certainly was time for a change, both for him and the club, as things were becoming increasingly stale.

But to not even acknowledge the success he brought, and then even worse resort to belittling him by using childish nicknames, just sums up those posters far more as people than Sean.

Kompany is a clever man, and he'll be well aware the tough task he faces in replicating what Sean Dyche brought to the club and the town.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat GodIsADeeJay81 k90bfc

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:47 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:

Same happened with Coyle back in the day. Those who had him down as the messiah were the ones crying loudest when he went.

Dyche was really good, Kompany might be. He might also be useless. There ends my analysis to date.
These 2 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret GodIsADeeJay81

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:58 pm

I hate revisionist history and nonsense like Sanditon. As for Dyche you’d have to be pretty stupid not to think that he did a good job overall even if the last 2 years were poor and it was time to go
These 7 users liked this post: Bosscat GodIsADeeJay81 Top Claret boatshed bill tiger76 claretfern k90bfc

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:08 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:08 pm
I watched the interview with the new signing, Egan-Riley and he was asked what he thought of the place and he was very positive.
The same with the earlier signing.

The training ground is helping to attract players, because it's a very good quality set up, not Man City level, but not Rovers level either.

That's a legacy from the previous ownership spending think you'll find.
If you conveniently forget everything else and think the comments of a 19 year old in his first publicity interview is a reasoned justification then I completely agree.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:20 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:08 pm
If you conveniently forget everything else and think the comments of a 19 year old in his first publicity interview is a reasoned justification then I completely agree.
You appear to be determined to live up to my previous comment about some fans.
That's fine, you crack tf on, I've got more productive ways to waste my time.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:06 pm

Saint Sean performed miracles.
Eternal gratitude.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:25 pm

I really don't think anyone is totally dismissing what Dyche did for the club in the real world. It was as sad a day for me as it was for tens of thousands of Burnley fans when he was sacked. We are unlikely to see anyone like him again for a very long time.
Kompany will need a lot going for him to get anywhere near what Dyche achieved

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:25 pm

VK will make us play the City way. He will have ambitions to manage them, maybe earlier than some think. Let's enjoy the journey.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:26 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:

So true!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:32 pm

I think Sean will go down as one of if not the greatest manager in our history ( the money and wages he was up against was an issue Potts didn't have for example) he got stale towards the end again as has been.mentioned if he had of been backed perhaps this wouldn't have happened, VK is getting put on a pedestal by some because he was one of the greatest leaders and players to grace the Premier league and we are hoping some of that leadership quality runs of on the club.
VK has been exemplary towards the club and what we have achieved, humble in his attitude and realistic about how we.move forward. There is nothing not to admire.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:58 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:32 pm
I think Sean will go down as one of if not the greatest manager in our history ( the money and wages he was up against was an issue Potts didn't have for example) he got stale towards the end again as has been.mentioned if he had of been backed perhaps this wouldn't have happened, VK is getting put on a pedestal by some because he was one of the greatest leaders and players to grace the Premier league and we are hoping some of that leadership quality runs of on the club.
VK has been exemplary towards the club and what we have achieved, humble in his attitude and realistic about how we.move forward. There is nothing not to admire.

I agree - I meant more he’s almost being touted as though he’s performing ‘better’ than Dyche ever did if that makes sense?

Everything that’s he’s doing (which I am very impressed and excited by) is followed by a little snide dig. Bizarre

Shaggy
Been Liked: 389 times
Has Liked: 148 times

Post by Shaggy » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:51 am

Dyche done a job for us. He had a method which he would/could not deviate from. We were never going anywhere with Dyche apart from a slow slide back to where we came from.

Coyles promotion was far more impressive a feat than anything Dyche ever achieved considering what he had to work with. Dyche inherited a good squad/team and just organised them. He got found out in the end though by most people, there were some of us could see through him a lot earlier.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:52 am

I think we have a winner
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

Awayfromburnley
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 60 times

Post by Awayfromburnley » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:00 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:

You see similar across society and relationships- friendships/parenters and families.

The notion that it if it isn't good then it is absolutely terrible and that said person /people are terrible. Failing to accept that outside of the Hollywood /Social Media perceptions that nothing is perfect, absolutely nothing. Relationships go up down and 360. It is life. It applies in football too.

This culture of flip flopping and black/white outcomes is not helped by programmes such as the Apprentice, also the behaviours in TV soaps, Love Island and obviously social media.

There's simply not enough chill and pragmatism in the world!
This user liked this post: bodge

Staniola
Been Liked: 30 times

Post by Staniola » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:37 am

Shaggy wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:51 am
Dyche done a job for us. He had a method which he would/could not deviate from. We were never going anywhere with Dyche apart from a slow slide back to where we came from.

Coyles promotion was far more impressive a feat than anything Dyche ever achieved considering what he had to work with. Dyche inherited a good squad/team and just organised them. He got found out in the end though by most people, there were some of us could see through him a lot earlier.
Well done mate, I don’t know how we’d manage without informed comments from you
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat tiger76

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:53 pm

I can see merit in nearly every statement on here!

We will never know whether if we had spent the £50 million early enough Sean would have refreshed and evolved the squad in a manner that we would not have been subjected to Norwich away.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:33 pm

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:08 pm
Kompany also commented very favourably about the training ground and I'm willing to believe that he knows what he's talking about.

But yes, it's nothing new. As others have said, just look how what Coyle achieved has been rewritten in the minds of some. People trying to make out that the promotion was pretty much in spite of him rather than because of him. There's also a lot of bitterness around Howe for some reason too.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:43 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:29 pm
No great shock.

I agree. Garlick's legacy is more complex and controversial than Dyches but one look at the finances and how we lost money getting into Europe should be a wake-up call that the penny pincher narrative isn't fair. I'm not happy that he sanctioned a leveraged takeover and can't help but think that in summer 2020 we could have spent a bit more (although understand the hesitation given covid), but IMO the vitriol he gets is very excessive.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:43 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:33 pm
Kompany also commented very favourably about the training ground and I'm willing to believe that he knows what he's talking about.
It's not unreasonable to assume that without the modern facilities, we wouldn't have Kompany as manager.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2275 times
Has Liked: 2154 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:46 pm

What is it with folk getting upset about people that aren’t with the club anymore, move on.

It’s just fickle sports fans, I’ve zero issues with SD, I like him but I’ve not given him a thought for about 2 months

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:55 pm

Be better than being just a fickle sports fan. Gratitude and appreciation are more important values to me than moving on.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:20 pm

aggi wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:33 pm

But yes, it's nothing new. As others have said, just look how what Coyle achieved has been rewritten in the minds of some. People trying to make out that the promotion was pretty much in spite of him rather than because of him. There's also a lot of bitterness around Howe for some reason too.
I think with Coyle it's a little more understandable given the manner of his departure. Had he left the previous summer for Celtic, or Bolton then somehow, or the following summer after whatever a full season brought, I think most fans would have been sad but grateful.

Instead he cut a cloak and dagger deal to leave for Bolton with his entire team leaving the club gutted of its backroom staff, took the transfers he'd been supposedly working on for us, then after having made comments about our lack of depth in midfield and defence, one of Laws' first games is Bolton and if I recall correctly McCann and either Alexander or Duff both got hobbled off injured. A cynical targeting to send us down, I know it's controversial but I blame Coyle far more than Laws for our relegation.
The 08-09 season was magical, fairytale stuff and the start of that first Prem season followed suit, I will never forget that United game, but everything surrounded his departure caused such unbelievable damage to the club and for several years that followed we were recovering from the damage that did to club & fan morale. It can't help but tarnish his legacy.
These 4 users liked this post: ClaretPete001 tiger76 boatshed bill bobinho

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:38 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:55 pm
Be better than being just a fickle sports fan. Gratitude and appreciation are more important values to me than moving on.
Well indeed the club exists through time: the past, the present and the future.

I was proud of the fact that this club had become associated with loyalty and mutual respect. Dyche's repeated assertions about the support of the fan base despite adversity was welcome.

I was impressed with MJ when he showed due respect to Dyche.

Less so, with others who re-iterated tales about £100 million investments going down the drain.

These values are for me are what makes Burnley special- the club and the town...!

And for a while it felt others felt good about us as well. Less so now I think...!
This user liked this post: Stayingup

claret_in_exile
Been Liked: 77 times
Has Liked: 326 times

Post by claret_in_exile » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:03 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:55 pm
Some of the guff I’ve seen on here and other social media sights (namely Twitter)
Problem identified. Social media is cancer.