Thoughts on our window so far

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Re: Thoughts on our window so far

Post by agreenwood » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:50 am

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:43 am
A realistic judgement in the window? We’ve lost players a few levels above the ones we’ve brought in and are likely to lose a couple more.

It’ll remain exciting - signing youngsters and foreign lads we’ve never heard of - until we’re 2-0 down at Huddersfield after half an hour. But that’s what relegation brings and I’m fine with it.

You could sign half a dozen solid Championship types and guarantee a top 6 finish but we’ve probably had our fill of pragmatic, successful football. Of the ones we’ve brought in, Twine will be decent. Absolutely no idea on the rest.

Although that Belgian fella has achieved the impossible of making himself look terrible on a YouTube highlights video.
Agreed. There’s definitely an element of people getting carried away by volume. Twine aside, and with several key players rumoured to be leaving, I’m not confident we’re bringing in the type of players we need to go straight back up.

We’ll probably have brought in another 5 or so players by the time the window closes. Most of them will probably be young, inexperienced players.

It’ll be interesting to see if patience follows on from the excitement. There’s an element of our fan base who’ll turn against the team quickly if we’re not sat in the top 6.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:52 am

NottsClaret wrote:
A realistic judgement in the window? We’ve lost players a few levels above the ones we’ve brought in and are likely to lose a couple more.

It’ll remain exciting - signing youngsters and foreign lads we’ve never heard of - until we’re 2-0 down at Huddersfield after half an hour. But that’s what relegation brings and I’m fine with it.

You could sign half a dozen solid Championship types and guarantee a top 6 finish but we’ve probably had our fill of pragmatic, successful football. Of the ones we’ve brought in, Twine will be decent. Absolutely no idea on the rest.

Although that Belgian fella has achieved the impossible of making himself look terrible on a YouTube highlights video.
‘But that’s what relegation brings and I’m fine with it’

You seen anything but fine with it - you are negative in almost every single post you make, be it about the players, manager or owners. It’s funny how being negative is always a ‘realistic view’ but being positive isn’t.

‘You could sign half a dozen solid Championship types and guarantee a top 6 finish’

What like Shane Long and Joe Allen types? Sounds like you are missing Sean a bit much. Oh and there are zero guarantees of anything.

‘Of the ones we’ve brought In, Twine will be decent, no idea on the rest’

May I ask how you came to this conclusion? I take it you’ve watched MK Dons regularly but seen zero on the others?

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:01 am

The previous complaint was one of not signing players until they had been developed elsewhere and then we couldn't afford them, now we are signing these kind of players they aren't good enough. We had posters envious of Brentford while operating in a lower division due to them doing exactly this.
These 2 users liked this post: RVclaret tiger76

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:03 am

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:52 am

May I ask how you came to this conclusion? I take it you’ve watched MK Dons regularly but seen zero on the others?
I’m sure Notts can answer himself, but I’ll be amazed if he’s not in the same position as most fans. I don’t believe for a minute that most Burnley fans have seen much of Egan-Riley, Harwood-Bellis, Bastien or McNally.

I like to think I watch a fair bit of football, but of all the signings I think I’ve only seen Twine and that was only 2-3 games on TV last year.
Last edited by agreenwood on Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:04 am

RVclaret wrote:

You seen anything but fine with it - you are negative in almost every single post you make, be it about the players, manager or owners. It’s funny how being negative is always a ‘realistic view’ but being positive isn’t.

‘You could sign half a dozen solid Championship types and guarantee a top 6 finish’

What like Shane Long and Joe Allen types? Sounds like you are missing Sean a bit much. Oh and there are zero guarantees of anything.

I’m assuming he means more along the lines of Jed Wallace, Tom Lawrence and John Swift. When we were relegated I said the first thing we should have been doing was grabbing those on free transfers. It’s largely irrelevant if they are good enough for the league above, it’s all about getting there isn’t it? We could dispense with them after promotion if they proved not up to it. I think missing out on Wallace and seemingly showing no interest in the other two was disappointing.

Nobody can guess how we’ll do this season (including NottsClaret, for that matter) as we have no idea how these players will perform. That’s both exciting and worrying as I feel like we’ll learn relatively quickly this season which way it’s going to go. I think the key thing now is some seasoned Championship experience in the forward areas (doesn’t need to be ‘old’ when I say that, just someone who has played and scored at this level before).

I appreciate funds will be limited i hasten to add, just how I feel things look currently. I also think jettisoning Hennessey in favour of spending money on Muric is a mistake - but again, none of us know, we can only guess (and hope). Regardless, I am excited out of the sheer mystery of what is currently being cooked up.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:04 am

NottsClaret wrote:

I agree with your sentiment - too early to judge. Although we'll start to get a sense before the transfer window closes because of course it runs we'll beyond the start of the season.

The strategy feels risky to me but if it pays off the rewards will be greater.

Like you, and most other people if we're being honest beyond looking at YouTube clips and historical stats, I've no idea about the incomings, although I've seen Twine play several times and he looks promising.

agreenwood

Post by agreenwood » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:05 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:01 am
The previous complaint was one of not signing players until they had been developed elsewhere and then we couldn't afford them, now we are signing these kind of players they aren't good enough. We had posters envious of Brentford while operating in a lower division due to them doing exactly this.
I don’t think people are saying they aren’t good enough. They are just acknowledging they’ve no idea because they’ve never seen them.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:07 am

The time to judge our squad will be when the window closes.

I think it is just as important who we retain, has these players have experience in playing at the highest level unlike our young inexperienced and inexpensive recruitments

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:09 am

Top Claret wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:07 am
The time to judge our squad will be when the window closes.

I think it is just as important who we retain, has these players have experience in playing at the highest level unlike our young inexperienced and inexpensive recruitments
Absolutely this.

If we somehow retain McNeil, Cornet, Collins and Brownhill then I’ll be very, very confident of promotion. The young lads will be able to gradually bed in/learn from these types without as much immediate pressure and expectation.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 781 times
Has Liked: 1435 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:13 am

Way too early to judge but I like how proactive we have been in getting bodies in so far.

No idea if this approach is going to work but it’s different and a change in style.

I just hope the fans have some patience- it will take some time to bed the players in and develop a “team” again.

Pre- season does have me a little concerned and I’m prepared for a tough start, not just the teams we play but in points returned.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5086 times
Has Liked: 6899 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:16 am

Really good so far, I doubt there will be a new boys/old guard schism atmosphere, the players coming in seem sound,we know the caliber of what we have plus the manager is a real team man, looking forward to enjoying going on the Turf.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 581 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:17 am

RVclaret wrote:

It’s a good point this. It’s classic how being downright negative (and outright offensive about one player) is somehow classed as being ‘realistic’ whereas optimism about a fresh start is dismissed and can never be considered as such. Despite the fact we’ve not even reached the end of the window. But yeah, let’s chuck a four year contract at Jed Wallace for £60k a week.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Walkerpool
Been Liked: 115 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Walkerpool » Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:31 am

I think we need to trust in Vincent Kompany because all the new players seem to say it was a phone call from him over a month ago that convinced them to come and that's good enough for me.Exciting attacking football in the championship or dull long ball in the Premier league UTC

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 am

RVclaret wrote:

You really need to just accept opinions not as positive as your own

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:00 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:01 am
While this really big change in welcomed and should be applauded , we can only analyse it fully after performance.
Brentford is a great example and it was recognised because they were successful with the policy.
I have not been aware of many posts criticising these young players for not being good enough , more questioning whether they can perform effectively at Championship level and beyond

Lambo
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by Lambo » Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:07 pm

For what it’s worth, and now the dust over relegation has settled, my thoughts are that our transfer window so far has been excellent. Young, committed, ambitious, apprenticeship served players who with a forward thinking manager like VK can take us back to the Premier League….for comparison, we’ve signed Twine for around £4m….if we were still in the Premier League we’d have had to pay at least £10m….we’re getting, on paper some real bargains…who’s to say Collins won’t stay? Just think what he could learn under Kompany….same with McNeil and Cornet, play every game with the freedom so lacking under Dyche…I’m more excited for the start of a season than I have been since we last went up after the 23 undefeated….why can’t we better that? We have a good up and coming manager who can inspire and attract players, a club that’s already got the foundations to get promoted…the Championship, whilst a slog is not brim full of quality teams….without doubt we’ll be top 2 and I’d say we’ve every chance of going up as champions…UTC