Dale Stephens

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Re: Dale Stephens

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:37 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:28 pm
And here's what Riley's talked about.

There's a nasty, bullying culture on this forum right now. This is not about Dale Stephens- as dreadful as he was for Burnley. This is about how there's an ever growing number of posters who are extremely abusive, on a targeted, individual level to certain posters (There's 3 who I see get a lot of stick at all times). It's about how there's a growing trend to turn extremely vindictive and jilted towards players or staff who either leave, or don't appear to fit with current plans.

People have been incredibly abusive to Weghorst who by all accounts has it in his contract that he doesn't have to play in the Championship, and as a 29 year old international in a World Cup year quite understandably will want to play at the highest level he can to make the World Cup. Doesn't mean I want him to leave or agree with us sanctioning it but there's been some real nastiness.

Tarkowski has had people calling him greedy, money chaser, traitorous etc. He played on while dealing with family emergencies and came back from his late season injury when he could easily have just sat it out, and yet still gets abuse for leaving. Club captain Ben Mee, tried to play through his leg injury, there's people who have been contemptuous and dismissive about him and before it was reported that we didn't offer him a contract, had the attitude that if he doesn't sign he's not good enough and has no loyalty- for Ben Mee of all people. Gudmundsson is a current Burnley player and gets endless abuse about his injury record- something that is no fault of his own, Dyche gave him time away to help deal with his latest injury and yet some fans constantly take a pop at him for it. Brownhill gets regular stick regarding his ability- usually not personal character attacks at least but still is often slagged off. There's some posters here trying to rewrite history and pretend Sean Dyche was always a dour, hoofball merchant who only signed over the hill 30 year olds and contributed nothing to tactics or player development. It's about far more than Stephens, it's about how this messageboard has become extremely toxic- I've seen a few boo boys at Burnley- Branch, Moore, O'Connor they all had their turn- but I genuinely haven't known the fanbase be this unpleasant before, and it's a very sudden change.
Quite honestly, and with all due respect, there are more generalisations and inaccuracies in this post than i would care to count.
You seem to be trying to be the arbiter of everything (right or wrong) on this message board, why?
Last edited by boatshed bill on Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:37 pm

Maybe football isn’t for you.

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2562 times
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:42 pm

If he found something out on twitter that he already knew, I'm not surprised he got done for drink driving.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:37 pm
Quite honestly, and with all due respect, there are more generalisations and inaccuracies in this post than i would care to count.
You seem to be trying to be the arbiter of everything (right or wrong) on this message board, why?
Please point out the inaccuracies. I've seen all of those comments on this forum the last few months.
Generalisations? I have never said it's all users, or even most. But from my perspective, it is a growing trend.
I'm not trying to be an arbiter of anything I'm just speaking about something I belive to be a problem on here, if people want to keep being antagonistic and abusive to individual posters & players then they will. But the reason I bring up Gudmundsson and Brownhill specifically is- as much as people might like to think this forum's an isolated bubble, it's not- it's on the internet, most people are on the internet daily nowadays. Football players are no exception, and there's a very real possibility members of our squad will see some of the comments directed their way, which are far from constructive criticism, and as much as we might like to think 'theyr're paid enough to get on with it" that's not how sport psychology or confidence works. I find aspects of this place offputting now, and I'm neither a player or poster being targeted. I'd like people to try find a middle ground without leaping to extremes, try see others' (including the players') perspectives more, and think a bit more. That's all.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3138 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:56 pm

spt_claret wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:44 pm
Please point out the inaccuracies. I've seen all of those comments on this forum the last few months.
Generalisations? I have never said it's all users, or even most. But from my perspective, it is a growing trend.
I'm not trying to be an arbiter of anything I'm just speaking about something I belive to be a problem on here, if people want to keep being antagonistic and abusive to individual posters & players then they will. But the reason I bring up Gudmundsson and Brownhill specifically is- as much as people might like to think this forum's an isolated bubble, it's not- it's on the internet, most people are on the internet daily nowadays. Football players are no exception, and there's a very real possibility members of our squad will see some of the comments directed their way, which are far from constructive criticism, and as much as we might like to think 'theyr're paid enough to get on with it" that's not how sport psychology or confidence works. I find aspects of this place offputting now, and I'm neither a player or poster being targeted. I'd like people to try find a middle ground without leaping to extremes, try see others' (including the players') perspectives more, and think a bit more. That's all.
I will do this tomorrow., But the one that stands out on this post is your assertion that there is a growing trend of antagonism. You cannot quantify this.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:12 am

Going back to Stephens himself
Currently training with Brighton as a gesture from them to keep up his fitness - presume his family home is still in that area
It's been said that many ex pros find it difficult to adjust to a normal lifestyle after the structured regime within a football club, and the attention they are always under
It is only days since Dale left BFC but maybe this was one of his ways of getting his name out there to other potential clubs

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:13 am

AwayClaret wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:36 pm
I haven't been on here for 5 years and it's exactly the same as it was back then. ClaretsMad was the same. Most football forums are like this. Just ignore/foe the posters who you think are "classless".
There was also a lot of warm and humorous fans on Clarets-mad that gave it a different feel.

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:01 am

spt_claret. Some very good points made. Perhaps the answer is for posters when they receive a nasty response or read one that is distasteful about players to simply ignore it, hard sometimes I know but by doing that the thread can be kept running in a pleasant manner. Some people just feel the need to respond in an aggressive way in the hope it provokes the poster enough to cause a continuing argument. It does work if you stick to ignoring them.

forzagranata
Been Liked: 222 times
Has Liked: 432 times

Post by forzagranata » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:33 am

How hard would it have been for someone at the club to simply call him and say thanks but we aren't offering you a new deal so you will be on the list of those leaving tomorrow?

Its just common decency.

Reminds me of a genuine club legend who recently applied for a relatively minor coaching role at the club and was sent a totally impersonal bog-standard rejection letter.

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:10 pm

beddie wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:01 am
spt_claret. Some very good points made. Perhaps the answer is for posters when they receive a nasty response or read one that is distasteful about players to simply ignore it, hard sometimes I know but by doing that the thread can be kept running in a pleasant manner. Some people just feel the need to respond in an aggressive way in the hope it provokes the poster enough to cause a continuing argument. It does work if you stick to ignoring them.
I think the underlying point was how does it look to the world.

It's interesting. I doubt there is a single person on here who thinks Dale Stephens did not "KNOW" he was not going to have a contract renewal prior to June 30. Not least because contracts take time and because he is 33, has played 10 games in two years, has fitness problems, a drink driving offence and is at a club prioritising younger players.

And yet more than a few used the term "know" to suggest he is a liar as though they genuinely believed he could only have known by being told by the club. And yet, no one could actually believe that to be true...!

It's like a black fly in your chardonnay - kind of ironic....!