Deeds from HM Land Registry

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Billyblah
Been Liked: 165 times
Has Liked: 29 times

Deeds from HM Land Registry

Post by Billyblah » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:43 pm

Just a general enquiry to anyone who has bought a house in recent months in that I purchased a place at the end of last September ( that's a full nine months ago).
I still haven't received confirmation that the conveyance of my property has been fully completed by HM Land Registry.
Solicitor is blaming Land Registry whilst Land Registry are blaming both Covid and the solicitor, claiming that he's 'dragging his feet'.
Has anyone else experienced lengthy delays or am I going to have to 'crack the whip'?

Boroclaret
Been Liked: 9 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Re: Deeds from HM Land Registry

Post by Boroclaret » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:51 pm

We bought last December and finally got the updated land registry info in May. I spoke to my solicitor about it a few weeks before the deeds were updated and she said the land registry were miles behind for a number of different reasons (covid, stamp duty holiday etc).

I'd just make sure that your solicitor can prove that your application is in the queue. They have a portal they can log into which gives them a status of the application.

Another thing that could be delaying it is any charges that are on the deeds as obviously these have to be paid before any transfer can happen.

beddie
Been Liked: 1382 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:58 pm

Did you ask the L R if they’ve actually received your application. If they have they should be able to tell you whether it’s completed or at what stage it’s at. If they haven’t then you need to go back to your Solicitor with those details and ask him/her to expedite matters, (put it in an email to them or hand delivered letter) that you want their position in writing by (give them a few days) such a date. If you ask to speak with the Senior Partner you’ll probably find you’ll get an answer fairly quickly. Good luck.

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:43 pm

I have experienced this. First registration can take up to 12 months. Boroclarets post above is correct. There can be other factors holding it up such as charges. Having said that the Land Registry like many public bodies are hiding behind Covid still and there is a huge backlog. I rang an organisation the other day and could hear the dog barking in the background. The backlog may have been dealt with quicker with people been overseen in an office.

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:21 am

You can request a copy.
eg - so as to apply for planning permission for building an extension - etc (even if you are not going to do it).
This should help force it.

On another yet related issue - Do a full land boarder check - measure it.
Turns out a neighbour had claimed - via fencing over a 2m widening part of the back garden like a wedge from his house.
(ideally do this before you buy!).

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:53 am

(Not 100% sure) If you do an online Land Ref search now, costs £3, it should tell you if there is a pending change, might be worth checking just to see if you are in the queue?

timshorts
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by timshorts » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:28 pm

Billyblah wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:43 pm
Just a general enquiry to anyone who has bought a house in recent months in that I purchased a place at the end of last September ( that's a full nine months ago).
I still haven't received confirmation that the conveyance of my property has been fully completed by HM Land Registry.
Solicitor is blaming Land Registry whilst Land Registry are blaming both Covid and the solicitor, claiming that he's 'dragging his feet'.
Has anyone else experienced lengthy delays or am I going to have to 'crack the whip'?
Yes, they are hopelessly behind, but not as behind as they were in the 1990's boom when we'd get a standard letter saying that your application would take (a multiple of 12) weeks to complete. 60 and 72 were commonplace.

If the land registry are blaming the solicitors then they are probably waiting for some replies to requisitions so ask to see a copy of the outstanding requisitions.

That said, if you've bought a new build, a first registration or a new lease then 9 months is presently more than possible.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:01 am

My property has never been registered, it would appear, despite the process being followed.

I tried a search recently and never had a response, despite paying a fee!

Nothing works with this Hov, as they just slash public service.