General Info - Huddersfield (a)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

General Info - Huddersfield (a)

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:05 pm

For any info ahead of game at Huddersfield other than tickets and coach travel

BuryClaret
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Re: General Info - Huddersfield (a)

Post by BuryClaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 pm

Anyone have any parking tips? My first time going to Huddersfield. Will be setting off from Bury at around 5pm ish and making the short journey up the M62.

ClaretInLeeds
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 176 times

Post by ClaretInLeeds » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:12 pm

Any decent boozers that Burnley fans will be drinking in?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:18 pm

BuryClaret wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:06 pm
Anyone have any parking tips? My first time going to Huddersfield. Will be setting off from Bury at around 5pm ish and making the short journey up the M62.
I used to park around Cambridge Rd /Claire Hill area. its about a 15-20 min walk to the ground but its great for missing traffic before and after the game

ICL
Been Liked: 148 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by ICL » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:24 pm

ClaretInLeeds wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:12 pm
The Slubbers Arms; RIP :(

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:38 pm

ClaretInLeeds wrote:
There's two pubs that the police will put Burnley fans in. They weren't the best by any stretch, but we struggled to get in any others being in a group.

BuryClaret

Post by BuryClaret » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:43 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:18 pm
I used to park around Cambridge Rd /Claire Hill area. its about a 15-20 min walk to the ground but its great for missing traffic before and after the game
Cheers, sounds like a good shout for getting away quickly. Don’t mind a walk!

burnmark
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by burnmark » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:49 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:38 pm
There's two pubs that the police will put Burnley fans in. They weren't the best by any stretch, but we struggled to get in any others being in a group.
We found that on one visit (0-0 draw when Hendrick denied a clear penalty) and were sent towards the Wetherspoons furthest away from the station. There’s also a bar around the corner that allowed us in too.

Last time (2-1 win - Wood, Barnes) we arrived fairly early on the train and had no issue getting into any pubs in the town centre including ones that wouldn’t allow us in the previous time.

Transpennine
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 42 times

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:10 pm

ClaretInLeeds wrote:
What type of pub are you after?
Real-ale
BIg n busy / generic away fans?
Food and beer?

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:12 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:18 pm
This is a decent shout. Come off at J24 and straight down Hailfax Road. A few car parks just off the ring road on the edge of town.

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:13 pm

Most Town centre parking is free after 6pm so there's plenty knocking about

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:15 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:12 pm
This is a decent shout. Come off at J24 and straight down Hailfax Road. A few car parks just off the ring road on the edge of town.
One of the streets behind where the car parks are is not permit parking and the single yellow line bit of that street is only no parking Mon-Fri so no need to even pay :D

Edit: Remembered its Friday night so should all be free round there

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:19 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:15 pm
One of the streets behind where the car parks are is not permit parking and the single yellow line bit of that street is only no parking Mon-Fri so no need to even pay :D

Edit: Remembered its Friday night so should all be free round there
I'll check for definite next week. But pretty sure after 6pm it's all free...

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:25 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:19 pm
I'll check for definite next week. But pretty sure after 6pm it's all free...
Yes I think its Mon-Fri 8am-6pm where you either have to pay or cant park on the street so as you say it should be free on a Friday night.

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:35 am

For those interested....a few pubs- these are mainly aimed at those arriving from the M62 or train.

Real ale-
If arriving by train you've two choices on either side of the station.
Head of Steam & King's Head. Head of steam: is an okay with pub grub and a wide selection of ales ( but I've not been in for a few years so can't vouch for it personally)
King's head: is a classic no-frills boozer, but the ale is excellent.

The Grove: in terms of ale is probably the best of the bunch. A 5 minute walk from the centre of town, but in the opposite direction to the John Smiths. -if you're driving theres a large carpark next to the Grove and easy to get away after the game. (It's next to the new sports centre in Springwood).

Magic Rock Brewery- exactly what is says on the tin. Local brewery with a large indoor tap room with a decent selection of their ales from the brewery. Sometimes on Fridays they have a street food van outside. A 10 min walk from the centre of town and the same again to the ground. Definitely worth a visit.

Sportsman's Arms- Central, handy for the train and parking, great ale and food. What's not to like?

Food/Family options.
If driving- you could call in at the Croppers Arms- off at J23 on the road onto town (A640 in Marsh) Great home cooked food and its a B&B for those wanting to stay over. You'll then still need to drive into town and park for the match.
The Yorkshire Rose- close to the ground, Marstons family gastro pub. Standard fayre but handy for the ground and to getaway after

Away pubs- the police usually direct away fans to the boy and Barrell- never been in, never want to. There's a large spoons called the Cherry Tree and plenty of others in town. The Vulcan, is probably best avoided - not hat they let away fans in anyways.

Hope this helps... give me a shout if you need any more info...
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:21 am

Transpennine wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:35 am
For those interested....a few pubs- these are mainly aimed at those arriving from the M62 or train.

Real ale-
If arriving by train you've two choices on either side of the station.
Head of Steam & King's Head. Head of steam: is an okay with pub grub and a wide selection of ales ( but I've not been in for a few years so can't vouch for it personally)
King's head: is a classic no-frills boozer, but the ale is excellent.

The Grove: in terms of ale is probably the best of the bunch. A 5 minute walk from the centre of town, but in the opposite direction to the John Smiths. -if you're driving theres a large carpark next to the Grove and easy to get away after the game. (It's next to the new sports centre in Springwood).

Magic Rock Brewery- exactly what is says on the tin. Local brewery with a large indoor tap room with a decent selection of their ales from the brewery. Sometimes on Fridays they have a street food van outside. A 10 min walk from the centre of town and the same again to the ground. Definitely worth a visit.

Sportsman's Arms- Central, handy for the train and parking, great ale and food. What's not to like?

Food/Family options.
If driving- you could call in at the Croppers Arms- off at J23 on the road onto town (A640 in Marsh) Great home cooked food and its a B&B for those wanting to stay over. You'll then still need to drive into town and park for the match.
The Yorkshire Rose- close to the ground, Marstons family gastro pub. Standard fayre but handy for the ground and to getaway after

Away pubs- the police usually direct away fans to the boy and Barrell- never been in, never want to. There's a large spoons called the Cherry Tree and plenty of others in town. The Vulcan, is probably best avoided - not hat they let away fans in anyways.

Hope this helps... give me a shout if you need any more info...
I think you can be the tour guide on this one bro. That's if the tickets arrive :shock:

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:00 pm

Yeah I've got this covered. I'm in the office on Tuesday, so if the tickets haven't arrived by then I'll nip down to the John Smiths and pick ours up...

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:50 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:00 pm
Yeah I've got this covered. I'm in the office on Tuesday, so if the tickets haven't arrived by then I'll nip down to the John Smiths and pick ours up...
I got us tickets in the away supporters you muppet :lol:
Asked them to send to your house. Don't let me down mate, easy assignment this.....

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:52 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:00 pm
Could you pick up the other 2,400 tickets as they seem to be struggling sending em over. Cheers lad.

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:56 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:52 pm
Could you pick up the other 2,400 tickets as they seem to be struggling sending em over. Cheers lad.
That's what I meant. I'll pick the lot up. No clarets shall be left behind**
**Apart from you, for calling me a muppet... :D

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:04 pm

Someone asked about parking. It really shouldn't be a problem.
As @devils_advocate mentions. Cambridge Road is a decent option and handy for a quick getaway.

Fitzwilliam St car park behind the railway station is another good option.
There's a larger carpark at Springwood on the ring road next to the sports centre (20 mins to the ground, quick getaway)
Street parking should be free after 6pm in the centre of town inside the ring road. Other street parking options are near the Slubbers Arms pub , Bradford Road area, again easy to get away afterwards up Halifax old Road.
Avoid parking too near Leeds Road /St Andrews Road as they get gridlocked. Avoid the Great Northern car park (TK Max/ The Range/Sports Direct) as its a nightmare to leave, and don't park near B&Q as you'll get fined.

Hope this helps.

TerrierTed
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by TerrierTed » Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 am

Eyup, just a little warning about the situation on the roads leading to the John Smiths Stadium at the moment. There are extensive road works on Leeds Rd in both directions and the road (Hillhouse lane) leading down to the Yorkshire Rose pub. As stated above in a couple of posts you would be best to park in the Town centre or to the top of the town. Another option for a drink is the Rat and Ratchet on Chapel Hill (A616) about a 20 min walk to the ground and a 5 min walk from the Springwood car park near the Grove pub. The Slubbers arms has been closed for a while btw.
These 2 users liked this post: HalifaxClaret mybloodisclaret

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm

TerrierTed wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:27 am
Eyup, just a little warning about the situation on the roads leading to the John Smiths Stadium at the moment. There are extensive road works on Leeds Rd in both directions and the road (Hillhouse lane) leading down to the Yorkshire Rose pub. As stated above in a couple of posts you would be best to park in the Town centre or to the top of the town. Another option for a drink is the Rat and Ratchet on Chapel Hill (A616) about a 20 min walk to the ground and a 5 min walk from the Springwood car park near the Grove pub. The Slubbers arms has been closed for a while btw.
This is why Huddersfield is my favourite away day, not only does one of our group work over there and has for years so has expert knowledge of the place, but Town fans are generally amongst the soundest going, always have a great day / night out over there and when you break it down the similarities between our clubs, size, fanbase, geography and being typically unfashionable Northern towns is quite remarkable. It's what football should be like.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:21 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm
This is why Huddersfield is my favourite away day, not only does one of our group work over there and has for years so has expert knowledge of the place, but Town fans are generally amongst the soundest going, always have a great day / night out over there and when you break it down the similarities between our clubs, size, fanbase, geography and being typically unfashionable Northern towns is quite remarkable. It's what football should be like.
My experience too. Last time we played them there we had a great day out including mixing with the locals who were still very friendly after we had won. Hopefully it will be the same on Friday on both counts.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:22 pm

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:14 pm
It’s strange. I always think of us as similar sized clubs and in fact similar clubs but I’m going into my 63rd season as a Claret and in that time this will be only the thirteenth time we’ve been in the same division.

Good club and some really good people involved with their supporters association too.

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:33 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:22 pm
It’s strange. I always think of us as similar sized clubs and in fact similar clubs but I’m going into my 63rd season as a Claret and in that time this will be only the thirteenth time we’ve been in the same division.

Good club and some really good people involved with their supporters association too.
Couldn't agree more Tony, as Transpennine works there we tend to meet up with about 10 Town fans and everyone of them are brilliant lads, we reciprocate when they come over here but a good club for sure, with proper fans.

lakedistrictclaret
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by lakedistrictclaret » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:04 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:22 pm
It’s strange. I always think of us as similar sized clubs and in fact similar clubs
And the covered terrace down the side at Leeds Road was eerily similar to the Longside.
This user liked this post: Leisure

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:22 pm

lakedistrictclaret wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:04 pm
And the covered terrace down the side at Leeds Road was eerily similar to the Longside.
Very much so

Leisure
Been Liked: 3771 times
Has Liked: 12358 times

Post by Leisure » Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:22 pm
Very much so

Been stood at the back of there a few times.

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:07 pm

Great bunch. It's almost like they're not really from Yaaakshire. :D :D

Pickles
Been Liked: 1343 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:11 pm

Tidy ground is the Kirkless/McAlpine/Galpharm/John Smith's Stadium.

Huddersfield's a good club with good fans which is surprising considering they play in blue and white and are from Yorkshire.
This user liked this post: dougcollins

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:21 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:35 am

Don't Magic Rock sponsor the away stand? Sounds like an omen to me.

No, not the Gregory Peck movie.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:01 pm

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:26 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:01 pm
Some info provided by Huddersfield

https://www.htafc.com/siteassets/pdfs/f ... ul22-2.pdf
Not wanting to contradict official club information but here goes...:
Parking: it mentions gasworks Street. I would strongly advise to ignore this. Its right in the middle of the ongoing roadworks and I reckon will be a nightmare especially after the game (they close it for a while after the match whilst the Udders & Burnley yoof shout obscenities at each other on the way back to town.

M62 from the west. You can also come off earlier at J23 rather than J24 if it starts to get busy on the motorway. It brings you out at the same spot in town on the ringroad (better for those parking at Springwood or heading to the Grove pub)

Hope this helps.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:29 pm

Transpennine wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:26 pm
Not wanting to contradict official club information but here goes...:
Parking: it mentions gasworks Street. I would strongly advise to ignore this. Its right in the middle of the ongoing roadworks and I reckon will be a nightmare especially after the game (they close it for a while after the match whilst the Udders & Burnley yoof shout obscenities at each other on the way back to town.

M62 from the west. You can also come off earlier at J23 rather than J24 if it starts to get busy on the motorway. It brings you out at the same spot in town on the ringroad (better for those parking at Springwood or heading to the Grove pub)

Hope this helps.
I should know better than take what a club puts out as read. The info Burnley send out tells them to come off the M65 at junction 10 if travelling from the west but if travelling from the north and south and then taking in the same stretch of M65, they should come off at junction 9.

TheGrove
Been Liked: 2 times

Post by TheGrove » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:33 pm

Hey there,

Huddersfield pub, posting in peace...

I hope you're all looking forward to your Championship opener at Huddersfield this Friday, sorry about the relegation but selfishly, it's good to have another great away day and northern beer town in the division...and it's more fun down here than up there in the prima-donna league anyway!

For those of you with a taste for real ale and craft beer, i want to let you know about a friendly, award winning boozer, with a ridiculous range of beer that will welcome you with open arms.

The Grove is not a football pub per se, they don't show the football and they don't sell Carling, Fosters or BrewDog HOWEVER... they do have 25 kegs lines and 15 cask lines, of everything from imperial stouts to IPAs, barley wine to porters and traditional cask conditioned ales to sours, ciders, lagers, bitters and pales. As well as a wall of whisky and a wall of gin.

The Grove is an independent, traditional beer house with the wackiest and quirkiness decor in West Yorkshire and the largest selection drinks Huddersfield has to offer. The mood at The Grove is friendly, convivial and talkative, the pub is based just two minutes walk from the bus station, outside the ring road, so they don't get any of the riff raff and rabble, just those in the know, and a steady stream of beer enthusiasts from around the country!

If you get chance, come on down! Best of luck for in the match and for the season.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 Spindles

ChrisG
Been Liked: 326 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by ChrisG » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:06 pm

Another shout for the Grove here. Went for a few ales in Huddersfield with my mate who lives in Slaithwaite back in January. The Grove was superb, as was the Sportsman further down the hill past the station.

AlwaysClaret
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Pubs for Huddersfield

Post by AlwaysClaret » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:36 am

Not been to Huddersfield for ages now.

Going on the train this afternoon around 2pm, any decent pubs?

Where is everyone heading?

Can't wait to see the new team...UTC.

Rouwens_Weapon
Been Liked: 101 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Re: Pubs for Huddersfield

Post by Rouwens_Weapon » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:57 am

Magic Rock tap room for us!

littleboroughclaret
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by littleboroughclaret » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:01 am

Two on the platform are good, if you like the Bridge in Burnley the Sportsman is a cracking boozer too. I reckon the magic rock tap room will finish some people off, some strong beers down there.

SlidingTackle
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 121 times

Post by SlidingTackle » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:06 am

Slubbers Arms. Proper old pub!!!!!

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:30 am

SlidingTackle wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:06 am
Slubbers Arms. Proper old pub!!!!!
I would check but I'm sure a Huddersfield fan came on here last week on the general info thread and said the Slubbers Arms had been shut for a while.
This user liked this post: SlidingTackle

bfcfan1882
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by bfcfan1882 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:35 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:30 am
I would check but I'm sure a Huddersfield fan came on here last week on the general info thread and said the Slubbers Arms had been shut for a while.
Correct.

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/wes ... n-22993563
This user liked this post: SlidingTackle

ArthurShelby
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by ArthurShelby » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:41 am

Don’t think we will be welcome in the Vulcan after our last visit to Huddersfield :lol:

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:43 am

ArthurShelby wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:41 am
Don’t think we will be welcome in the Vulcan after our last visit to Huddersfield :lol:

Probably have to go through the back door.... again

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:54 am

TheGrove wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:33 pm
Hey there,

Huddersfield pub, posting in peace...

I hope you're all looking forward to your Championship opener at Huddersfield this Friday, sorry about the relegation but selfishly, it's good to have another great away day and northern beer town in the division...and it's more fun down here than up there in the prima-donna league anyway!

For those of you with a taste for real ale and craft beer, i want to let you know about a friendly, award winning boozer, with a ridiculous range of beer that will welcome you with open arms.

The Grove is not a football pub per se, they don't show the football and they don't sell Carling, Fosters or BrewDog HOWEVER... they do have 25 kegs lines and 15 cask lines, of everything from imperial stouts to IPAs, barley wine to porters and traditional cask conditioned ales to sours, ciders, lagers, bitters and pales. As well as a wall of whisky and a wall of gin.

The Grove is an independent, traditional beer house with the wackiest and quirkiness decor in West Yorkshire and the largest selection drinks Huddersfield has to offer. The mood at The Grove is friendly, convivial and talkative, the pub is based just two minutes walk from the bus station, outside the ring road, so they don't get any of the riff raff and rabble, just those in the know, and a steady stream of beer enthusiasts from around the country!

If you get chance, come on down! Best of luck for in the match and for the season.
Great pub. 5mins from the station or park next to the sports entre/Springwood. Come off M62 at J23.

BuryClaret

Post by BuryClaret » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:00 am

Thanks for all the info Transpennine - super helpful! Think I'm going to aim for parking in the Cambridge Rd / Claire Hill area as suggested, coming off at Jct 24.

See you there Clarets!

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:48 am

BuryClaret wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:00 am
Thanks for all the info Transpennine - super helpful! Think I'm going to aim for parking in the Cambridge Rd / Claire Hill area as suggested, coming off at Jct 24.

See you there Clarets!
No worries. I think you'll still have to pay on the carpark even after 6pm as the streets are all permit only parking. So be careful if parking on the road.

All council carparks can be paid for online/app as well as cash. Use the 'RingGo' parking app. Cambridge Road is reference 84186.
This user liked this post: BuryClaret

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1130 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:18 pm

:|
Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:38 pm
This is the pub the Police are putting Burnley fan's in today

Screenshot_20220729-121454_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220729-121454_Chrome.jpg (165.88 KiB) Viewed 1197 times

Transpennine

Post by Transpennine » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:04 pm

It's bloody awful.