Players you misjudged

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleytom
Been Liked: 16 times

Re: Players you misjudged

Post by burnleytom » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:07 pm

Paul Cook. Think because he looked like an old man, and remember thinking he can’t run, so he won’t be any good.

Dimitrios Papadopoulos. Foreign signings are exciting when you never had them. Thought his record for the U21’s meant he was going to be a World beater. Did better once he left, but disappointed for us.

Andy Coke. Thought he was past it and was nothing but a finisher. Who knew he could drop off and play as a ‘10’?

Drissa Diallo. Thought he’d be brilliant. Was amazing for us as a random, out of nowhere free transfer. Was fuming when we didn’t sign him on for good. Did naff all after that.

Arthur Gnohéré. Let some great goals overrule the fact that despite having all the attributes, he couldn’t actually defend. Stan had it right about ‘not quite having it between the ears’.

Andre Bikey. Thought he was a monster for Reading and always wished we’d sign him. Then we did. Thought he had the attributes to step up to the Prem, but again, all physicality but not the football intelligence required.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:36 pm

the_fat_shearer wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:48 pm
I thought Alan Mahon would be great for us. Thought he was a quality player when he played against us. Admittedly, he was played out of position for us on the left wing too often but I was expecting so much my more than we saw.
The jewel in nobody's crown.

Bullabill
Been Liked: 301 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Bullabill » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:51 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:47 pm
Where do I start? :D
I'd like to know where you finish.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:04 am

JohnDearyMe wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:23 pm
He was great at Palace (think it might have been Tarkowski's debut as well?). As poor as he was i vaguely remember him doing ok in the 0-0 draw at Old Trafford that season
You’ve got to be joking, right?

distortiondave
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:22 am

My dad hates virtually every Burnley player that isn't the 1961 FA cup final team, even though we lost. But he loved calling Charlie Austin 'Charlie Pudding' because he seemed a bit overweight and he came from lower league.
Only a few years earlier (ten years, probably), and that same grumpy old man insists that Ian Moore 'is gonna be a good un, he is, a million pounds, a million pounds Les (wife), Les! Burnley have spent a million pounds on a striker! Are you listening?! She's not listening, but he'll be a good un, you'll see.'

RammyClaret61
Been Liked: 1091 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by RammyClaret61 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:09 am

Tommy Hutchinson. Thought he was past it, wouldn’t be interested, just another jobs for my mates by Bond.

But he was class. Certainly a class above most in the division.

Conroysleftfoot
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by Conroysleftfoot » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:16 am

Getting back to the First Division under Jimmy Adamson and being underwhelmed when signing a short bald headed block from Swindon called Peter Noble. What a superb player he turned out to be for Burnley.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:41 am

Weghorst talented but the heart of a gerbil.
Running out at the first sign of trouble

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:01 am

Definitely agree with Scotty Arfield. A reject from Huddersfield reserves and I was utterly naffed off with Dyche at the time. Surely even Dyche hadn't the slightest inkling of what was to come!

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 308 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:34 am

Like others: the two that spring to mind are Dean Marney and Ashley Barnes.

Arfield I thought was a good player now I think he was much better than I realised and also thought Hendrick was decent but now rate him more highly.

Before that I struggle to remember. Perhaps, Graham Branch did better than I thought he might but he was always a mercurial player. The PL years tend to highlight certain players because they are playing at such a high level you can't help but acknowledge their quality.

The thing about the players you don't rate is you have to understand the game better to figure out why they were so effective.

I don't think we would have been relegated had Marney, Arfield and Hendrick been at the club and they would have made other players look better.