ARTICLE: Midfielder Cullen signed from Anderlecht

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
s6t9a2f3f
Been Liked: 82 times

Re: ARTICLE: Midfielder Cullen signed from Anderlecht

Post by s6t9a2f3f » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:06 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:16 pm
Cullen turned down interest from La Liga and Bundesliga according to Andy Jones.

I reckon he will be one of the leagues best midfielders this season and give us a real chance of promotion.
If true enjoy him for the 1 season he will be with us before being sold

Braindead
Been Liked: 987 times
Has Liked: 1056 times

Post by Braindead » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:11 pm

A fairly balanced comment on the club's twitter account

As an Ireland fan whose followed both throughout their careers, this is a great days business 4 Burnley. Youve bought our most important player for a snip and made a killing on Collins who admittedly does have the potential to become world class but as such, would've left anyway

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:05 pm

Little insight into Cullen from a Forest analytics twitter account that looks at potential signings for them.
Attachments
359079FB-2A67-434C-8465-4FF6DB805EC2.jpeg
359079FB-2A67-434C-8465-4FF6DB805EC2.jpeg (249.43 KiB) Viewed 1241 times

Hbclaret007
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Hbclaret007 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:21 am

This thread is in danger of being lost due to a furore about a player who doesn’t want to play for us.
Here’s to a player who does! Welcome Josh!
He looks like a very good addition to a midfield with lots of competition. I’m looking forward to seeing him play. UTC

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:59 am

Cullen as good reviews and I would think he will be using us as a stepping stone to get back to where he wants to be the premier League.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:00 am

As a player, I like the sound of Cullen. I can't claim to have seen much of him, but on paper he's the sort of player whom we lacked last season at times when Brownhill and Westwood were playing forwards too fast and chaotically. He's got a decent bit of Championship experience and clearly did OK in Belgium.

I am slightly surprised we've signed two central midfielders this summer though. Westwood is due back in the autumn, and whilst he's getting on and had a poor season at Premier League level last time out, I'd expect him to remain a stand out performer at Championship level. The same goes for Cork who its generally agreed was underutilised last season and good when he played. Brownhill is in his prime and again whilst he had limitations at Premier League level, I always thought in the right set up he'd be OK at that level and for the same reason he'd be more than OK in the Championship. Given that we also had a couple of promising youngsters in that department, there's a reasonable argument that we needed one central midfielder this summer, tops.

If Bastien and Cullen are better than those 3 then fantastic, and it means that we'll be phenomenally strong in that department. I do though wonder whether bringing both in was a priority given the fact we're a bit threadbare in other departments - unless we're expecting someone (presumably Brownhill) to leave, or going to redeploy other players elsewhere (I've said Cork could play centre back in a Kompany system a few times, certainly in a 3 and probably in a 2).

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:10 am

Spice - it’s very rare players come back at the top of their game after such a harsh injury like Westwood had. Look at Brady post his bad knee injury. He couldn’t stop getting injured since. I think expecting him back ready for the first team in autumn is very optimistic and more likely it will be post World Cup break. Even then his form was so poor last season or so I wouldn’t fancy him starting for us.

Also, Cullen is quite different to Westwood despite some similarities, you will see a lot more line breaking passes to forward areas for the example. He is key for Kompany’s possession based system. Plus we don’t know if Brownhill will attract PL offers yet…

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:19 am

That's perfectly true about Westwood's injury, although I understood it was less serious in the end than first feared (reflected in the fact that Brady was out, and always expected to be out, for nearly a year - Westwood is looking at more like 6 months, so I'm not sure the two are necessarily comparable). As to Westwood's performances and ability to play the role for Kompany - we'll see. It's not fair to compare Westwood's performances to Dyche's instructions in the Premier League, with Cullen's to Kompany's instructions in a much kinder league.

It's also the case that the comparison may be better with Cork, who has always been for Burnley that "metronome", and who we've just invested in for another 2 seasons.

I take the point about Brownhill too, but that's a bridge to be crossed if he goes, surely.

Not saying it's wrong to bring in Cullen, or Bastien, or both, and sometimes a particular player is just so important to what a manager wants to do it sort of trumps all the other considerations - particularly when two of the incumbents are 32+. But -I hope it isn't at the expense of rounding off the squad in other areas.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 am

claretspice wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:00 am
As a player, I like the sound of Cullen. I can't claim to have seen much of him, but on paper he's the sort of player who we lacked last season at times when Brownhill and Westwood were playing forwards too fast and chaotically. He's got a decent bit of Championship experience and clearly did OK in Belgium.

I am slightly surprised we've signed two central midfielders this summer though. Westwood is due back in the autumn, and whilst he's getting on and had a poor season at Premier League level last time out, I'd expect him to remain a stand out performer at Championship level. The same goes for Cork who its generally agreed was underutilised last season and good when he played. Brownhill is in his prime and again whilst he had limitations at Premier League level, I always thought in the right set up he'd be OK at that level and for the same reason he'd be more than OK in the Championship. Given that we also had a couple of promising youngsters in that department, there's a reasonable argument that we needed one central midfielder this summer, tops.

If Bastien and Cullen are better than those 3 then fantastic, and it means that we'll be phenomenally strong in that department. I do though wonder whether bringing both in was a priority given the fact we're a bit threadbare in other departments - unless we're expecting someone (presumably Brownhill) to leave, or going to redeploy other players elsewhere (I've said Cork could play centre back in a Kompany system a few times, certainly in a 3 and probably in a 2).
I dont think Westwood will get much game time under VK because of his style of play. Westwood thrived under SD who initially got him playing well and with energy. His performances this year were generally poor, and at his age the serious injury will have an impact. I also think Cork now has the edge on him and may even be made club captain

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1181 times
Has Liked: 637 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:24 am

derryclaret wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:28 pm
Watched him playing for Ireland the last couple of years, neat, tidy,keeps things simple, moves the ball quickly, a good pro, should do well in the championship, I think we've done good business
Sorry Derry just saw this as i typed something something very close to what you wrote below , hey at least we view Josh the same ;) .
This user liked this post: derryclaret

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 am

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:23 am
I dont think Westwood will get much game time under VK because of his style of play. Westwood thrived under SD who initially got him playing well and with energy. His performances this year were generally poor, and at his age the serious injury will have an impact. I also think Cork now has the edge on him and may even be made club captain
Maybe, but as I say to write Westwood off at a much lower level because of how he performed to the instructions of a particular manager at a far higher level, seems a little questionable to me. Remember, when we signed Westwood he was framed as being exactly in the Cullen mould as a holding player.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 470 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:27 am

It sounds like we have finally upgraded the most neglected area of our side. Last year we had Westwood, Cork, Stephens and Brownhill as our central midfielders. I don't think any of the 4 get into any other Premier League side and with the exception of Brownhill, the other 3 wouldn't even make a squad.

Our midfield options on the ball last year were the aimless Westwood lump into the channel in the hope someone was in that area, the square pass which usually led to the pass back to a defender for them to launch the ball forwards, bypassing the midfield. Very rarely did we move forward when the midfield were in possession and they are the reason we play so many long balls from defence.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:30 am

We have players who try to run faster than the ball, the Kompany style is the other way around. Movement yes, constantly, but fast and incisive passing rather than the “blue arsed fly” style of racing around that Brownhill in particular does.

I see Cullen more of a Joey Barton replacement, tough, tenacious, defensive minded but with incisive passing. A bit like a quarterback. I also expect him to be the new captain and within the year, loved by fans like Joey was.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1654 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:37 am

Apol if already posted - tactical style, scouting report

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/playe ... is-tactics

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:41 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:37 am
Apol if already posted - tactical style, scouting report

https://totalfootballanalysis.com/playe ... is-tactics
Yup 90% pass completion and the most passes in the league.

Along with Bastien’s 85% pass completion you can see what Kompany is looking for.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:42 am

claretspice wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:26 am
Maybe, but as I say to write Westwood off at a much lower level because of how he performed to the instructions of a particular manager at a far higher level, seems a little questionable to me. Remember, when we signed Westwood he was framed as being exactly in the Cullen mould as a holding player.
I hope you are right as we need competition for places, and for two years our CM choices have been very restrictive and challenging. I recall Westwood joined us more as a squad player. He got his chance over players like Jeff Hendrick, and I remember reading an article by him saying SD had helped improve his game, by getting him to move the ball quicker -how many times did we see that first time curling ball behind the opponents CH for Wood to run behind. THen at the end we saw the immense loyalty SD placed in him despite differing performances, and Cork being fit and available.I may be wrong but I see Westwood suited to a specific style of play

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3605 times
Has Liked: 1032 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:50 am

I know people have said Kompany plays a midfield two, but does anybody else think we might play with a three now? The prospect of a midfield three of Cork, Brownhill and Cullen would (on paper) be arguably the best in this league I'd say. Bastien I cannot comment on as I have never seen him play, but him (and Westwood, when fit) provide very good alternatives to the other three too.

With potential inexperience at centre back, the prospect of Cullen and Cork patrolling and mopping up in front of them - with Brownhill given license to support the attacking midfielders/striker - seem too good an option to ignore, in my opinion.

chekhov
Been Liked: 807 times
Has Liked: 1526 times

Post by chekhov » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:19 am

CatonClaret wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:04 pm
“I think a big strength of mine is my mentality to give 100% every time I step over the white line, in training and in games. Every time I pull the shirt on, I’ll be giving 100%”
Disappointing! Most top players these days are giving at least 110%!
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 SalisburyClaret CatonClaret