Key points from today - Reality Check

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Re: Key points from today - Reality Check

Post by Ric_C » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:29 am

Interesting stats in terms of attack momentum

https://twitter.com/DLRbrts/status/1555 ... HNqdRe58XA

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:45 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:37 am
For all the good stuff written about Ian Maatsen so far if he had jumped with their far post guy he might not have had such an easy knock down for their goal. Standing off is not the way to go on the 6yd line.
Their player must have been 6ft 5 or 6ft 6…..Maatsen could have been on a step ladder and he wouldn’t have won the ball.
And unless my eyes deceive me that header down looked a bit lucky to me - it seemed to come off his head at a funny angle and didn’t catch it clean.
Whilst the goal looks sloppy from our point of view it’s actually a perfect Luton type goal. Their lad did brilliant to win the ball in and put a cross in - which was a high ball for the tallest player on the park who had peeled off to our smaller full back and then they win second ball in the 6 yard box.

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times

Post by Firthy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:06 pm

As has already been said, most obvious point from yesterday is that we need 2 strikers. One with pace and a natural goalscorer with an eye for goal. At their best Danny Ings and Andre Gray would be a good fit.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:26 pm

I missed the game yesterday, stuck in a theatre in the West End, but given the 70% possession again, and going off the meagre highlights from Sky, it was a game where we gave away a sloppy goal, they then created nothing. We started playing , scored a great goal, and going off the missed chances, should have won comfortably.

In all honesty, I wasn't expecting to be playing this well, this early in the season, so this and 4pts, is a bonus. We all know we need a quicker striker, and some back ups as well, but you have to be a manic depressive not to enjoy what we've seen so far. There's room for improvement, there always is, but this is an excellent beginning.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace tiger76

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:33 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:45 am
Their player must have been 6ft 5 or 6ft 6…..Maatsen could have been on a step ladder and he wouldn’t have won the ball.
And unless my eyes deceive me that header down looked a bit lucky to me - it seemed to come off his head at a funny angle and didn’t catch it clean.
Whilst the goal looks sloppy from our point of view it’s actually a perfect Luton type goal. Their lad did brilliant to win the ball in and put a cross in - which was a high ball for the tallest player on the park who had peeled off to our smaller full back and then they win second ball in the 6 yard box.
I’ve replied higher up. I didn’t expect him to win the header just get his body into him to put him off a bit.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:40 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:33 pm
I’ve replied higher up. I didn’t expect him to win the header just get his body into him to put him off a bit.
Yes I saw that but just think that it would have made no difference as this ended up being a perfect play for Luton - and of all supporters we should realise that more than most.
Not great on the eye for the total football fans but very effective use of a huge forward with what looked very little football ability !!

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:47 pm

If you’re not happy with what you are seeing then just chill a bit.

Transfer window is still open and we have a young team. It’s going to take a bit of time for things to click.

We have a lot of young players and are learning the league. Having played 2 of last years top 6 and got 4pts is nothing but hugely positive.

The team will learn and will improve. The chances and attacks will turn into goals.

In balance, I fail to see how anyone can see the season so far to be anything but positive.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Regarding their goal yesterday Costelloe dallied too long, as we had 5 players poised for a counter (picture 1)
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 12.46.44.png
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 12.46.44.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 924 times
He got dispossessed and somewhat naively 4 of the 5 players continued their forward momentum, and indeed all 5 ended up the wrong side of play (picture 2)
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 12.47.13.png
Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 12.47.13.png (1002.38 KiB) Viewed 924 times
This left us seriously under-manned at the back
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley Ace longsidepies

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3139 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:00 pm

Key points so far?

4 from 6. Enjoy.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick tiger76 jen1066

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:11 pm

Major plus was midfield dominance versus a team that finished sixth, five points behind Forest. On the the other hand our defence and forward line look like works in progress re organisation and personnel.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:12 pm

NRC wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:48 am
results and entertainment are not one or the other concepts
NRC, I'm in 100% total agreement with you on that. This is exactly my point. Entertainment is found within the competition, not tacked on to the game like fluff as it might be in a Soccer Aid style charity match. I feel as though you might have got the wrong impression in what I'm saying at an early point (that's probably my fault for not being clearer), and perhaps you're reading what I've posted through a certain lens, so to clarify myself, I was contesting another poster's idea that you can of a sudden drop the more entertaining parts of our style to somehow conjure results. My point is that the tactics we use are designed to bring us results, and entertainment is baked in to this system. I promise you, if Kompany could click his fingers and guarantee more wins with so-called "uglier" football he'd do it, but it doesn't work that way, which is my point. The other poster's idea that our entertaining style and our results are a kind of zero-sum is wrong.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 651 times
Has Liked: 2879 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:18 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:45 am

They didn’t, having watched it again he was going for goal and missed!

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:21 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:26 pm
I missed the game yesterday, stuck in a theatre in the West End
Good grief, I'm so sorry.

*In Marlon Brando's voice* The horror...the horror.

Spiral

Post by Spiral » Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:41 pm

Jesus, look how much ground Bastien covers compared with his teammates in between those two photos above. I noticed this with Huddersfield, too. Reading the conversation earlier on what Bastien adds to the side, I think he's tactically very clever. He's switched on to the counter here. He doesn't offer as much on the ball as some of our other players, but his use of space and positioning is great. He was subbed off for a ball-carrier yesterday because that's what was demanded by the challenge Luton presented, but the way he creates space and drags defenders and midfielders around is something probably worth paying closer attention to in the coming games. He'll make dummy runs, even finding himself offside, just to create space for another runner.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:47 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:41 pm
Jesus, look how much ground Bastien covers compared with his teammates in between those two photos above. I noticed this with Huddersfield, too. Reading the conversation earlier on what Bastien adds to the side, I think he's tactically very clever. He's switched on to the counter here. He doesn't offer as much on the ball as some of our other players, but his use of space and positioning is great. He was subbed off for a ball-carrier yesterday because that's what was demanded by the challenge Luton presented, but the way he creates space and drags defenders and midfielders around is something probably worth paying closer attention to in the coming games. He'll make dummy runs, even finding himself offside, just to create space for another runner.
I think his energy is terrific and he's bright enough on the ball, good touches and confidence his passing just isn't quite there right now.
I'd have subbed Cullen over Bastien to give us as much energy in the midfield three as possible personally, pace and movement to run Luton's big guys ragged. I expect Cullen to play 90 minutes every game unless injured though given how central Kompany sees him to his system. Think Bastien will really come good with patience.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:19 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:41 pm
I saw that too. For me, the major difference between the two games, a point I make here https://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboa ... =2&t=63504 is that THB took the reigns off Cullen to be the playmaker. Certainly in the first half. It made us ponderous. Balls were played into feet, whereas vs Huddersfield they were played into runners

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:32 pm

Spiral wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:21 pm
Good grief, I'm so sorry.

*In Marlon Brando's voice* The horror...the horror.
I know, right?

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:01 am

Reality check indeed.

4 points from 2 games against 2 sides that made the play-off's last season.
Over 70% possession in both games, and rarely troubled at the back.
Football much easier on the eye.
Bounced back from the loss of the early goal yesterday, a good sign of character.
Kompany not afraid to make the switch at HT when it wasn't working.
Midfield looking much stronger.
And all well still being in transition.
Average age of the squad being drastically reduced, and youngsters being given their chance to shine.
Sat 3rd in the league, and still unbeaten.
Oh and the window is still open, so I fully expect more additions.
Patience will be required, but we've actually started far better than I thought we might given the scale of the changes in a short period.
And the worry for the rest of the division is we will surely only improve over time.
These 2 users liked this post: forzagranata ClaretLoup

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:10 am

Even Man City, of all teams, proved yesterday here is no substitute for a proper No 9. WHU could easily have got a point yesterday, but for the running of Harlem

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:23 am

warksclaret wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:10 am
Even Man City, of all teams, proved yesterday here is no substitute for a proper No 9. WHU could easily have got a point yesterday, but for the running of Harlem
Yes I agree, they look unbeatable