Barnes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1884 times
Has Liked: 841 times

Re: Barnes

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:11 am

IanMcL wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:01 am
Barnes was brought in, when Kompany changed the system, to 'hold on to the win'.

He was left up on his own, whereas until then, folk were attacking. He is not the reason for anything negative. Just doing as asked.

When we stopped attacking and let them on to us, we lost the 2 goals.
This isn’t correct. He had a few opportunities he just chose to constantly throw himself on the floor instead of trying to shoot or pass.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:11 am
This isn’t correct. He had a few opportunities he just chose to constantly throw himself on the floor instead of trying to shoot or pass.
Once.

Another time he was clearly tripped, edge of box, when really going towards the ball Ref didn't see it.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2567 times
Has Liked: 769 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am

IanMcL wrote:
Barnes was brought in, when Kompany changed the system, to 'hold on to the win'.

He was left up on his own, whereas until then, folk were attacking. He is not the reason for anything negative. Just doing as asked.

If Kompany asked him to shoot the ball towards goal with his left foot, only for it to hit his right foot and actually bounce backwards, I'd be amazed.

If Kompany asked him to throw his leg against a defender and throw himself to the floor when he'd actually done some decent work taking the ball round the 'keeper, I'd be equally amazed.

Facts are, he shouldn't be playing.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:16 am

ksrclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:14 am
If Kompany asked him to shoot the ball towards goal with his left foot, only for it to hit his right foot and actually bounce backwards, I'd be amazed.

If Kompany asked him to throw his leg against a defender and throw himself to the floor when he'd actually done some decent work taking the ball round the 'keeper, I'd be equally amazed.

Facts are, he shouldn't be playing.
The first was just a flash turn and shot. Happens to most players. Timing very difficult. The 2nd incident, fully agree.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 404 times
Has Liked: 374 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Sun Aug 21, 2022 11:19 am

Big fan of Barnes and what he has done for our club. But we look a far better team with JRod playing at the moment.

I'd expect us to start to see more of a younger more mobile striker come through at some point too.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:00 pm

Just seen the Clarets+ Replay.

From comments on here I expected Barnes to be dreadful. He wasn't.

When he came on Rodriguez was offering little - probably knackered! It was the right decision to substitute him.

We got the usual Barnes falling over, maybe a couple of times. His general play was good though. He was full of movement and offered himself many times for the ball, linking up play well. He had one half chance which he fluffed. Overall a worthy contribution.
This user liked this post: GDK

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2013 times
Has Liked: 2913 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:12 pm

As usual those who have been encouraged to ‘win fouls’ for so long it becomes instinct. Barnes (like Tin Man) used to be hilarious, but now done instinctively rather than intelligently Barnes is becoming embarrassing. I’ve always been a fan of the other side of Barnes play, but sadly that is diminishing and the ‘easy option’ seems now to be Barnes preference. If VK cannot get it out of him, then Barnes place in the team is rightly being criticised. Sad really, because I don’t buy into it being an age thing as he slows down, its a bad habit that has been encouraged.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:15 pm

northeastclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:25 am
In fairness up until yesterday I still felt Barnes could do a job for us but what was so obvious yesterday is that Jay wasn’t once in a physical battle looking for free kick or barging into the centre half. He continuously lost his man, came deep and played the ball without the need of a battle.
What was noticeable was that Jay would stand directly between the two Blackpool centre backs. Causing confusion and giving himself space to receive the ball, and as a result space for others to run into. Barnes would just stand on a defender.
This user liked this post: BleedingClaret

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:19 pm

Barnes is ineffective if not in a two. He's also a bellend and that completely unnecessary dive and handball near the end when he was in a decent position summed him up.
This user liked this post: Stevie Morgan

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:27 pm

IanMcL wrote:

Completely disagree here. There is a direct correlation between Barnes coming on and us stopping attacking. Barnes stopped us attacking as he is incapable of doing what Jay Rod did and linking the play effectively by dropping off.

I am hugely concerned if Kompany does not get another striker, as Jay Rod clearly cannot play 90 minutes and bringing Barnes on makes us worse - unless of course Kompany considers Twine as capable of playing in the position Jay Rod played yesterday.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:29 pm

Barnes is certainly not to blame for us dropping 2 points that lies firmly with the manager who got his team selection and tactics wrong

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:37 pm

DanH90 wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:27 pm
Completely disagree here. There is a direct correlation between Barnes coming on and us stopping attacking. Barnes stopped us attacking as he is incapable of doing what Jay Rod did and linking the play effectively by dropping off.

I am hugely concerned if Kompany does not get another striker, as Jay Rod clearly cannot play 90 minutes and bringing Barnes on makes us worse - unless of course Kompany considers Twine as capable of playing in the position Jay Rod played yesterday.
I don't see any reason why Twine can't be converted into an out and out forward. He certainly knows how to finish based on his youtube highlights and that's about 80% oof the job.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:41 pm

Neil wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:37 pm
I don't see any reason why Twine can't be converted into an out and out forward. He certainly knows how to finish based on his youtube highlights and that's about 80% oof the job.
I potentially agree

JRod did the job really well. Dropped to link the play when we were keeping posession insode our own third, which also allowed the wide players to exploit their defence by drawing them out, and made really good runs when we pushed up nearer the half way line, and got in the box when it went out wide

No reason Twine can't do this. A number 10 or false 9, rather than an out and out number 9 works well if you have 2 fast wide players playing high up the pitch

It's tried and tested

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 362 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:47 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Once.

Another time he was clearly tripped, edge of box, when really going towards the ball Ref didn't see it.
I saw it at least twice; but you are right, he was clearly tripped on the edge of the box at one point and the ref gave nothing. The ref was pretty close too. I thought he didn't give it because he thought the ball as too far away and Barnes wouldn't have got it (which is true, but also it's still a foul), but he could have missed it, or seen it and just assumed Barnes dived, which is also usually my first instinct

Neil
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Neil » Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:49 pm

I'd like to see us try two up top with Jay dropping back and Twine running off him. Doesn't look like it'll happen though.
This user liked this post: IanMcL

GDK
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by GDK » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:07 pm

I agree Barnes has never really been as effective when played as a lone forward, working best alongside eg Wood or Vokes. Jay did seem to tire yesterday, but ideally we could have brought Barnes on to play alongside him to help manage the last 30 mins as the ball had already started to come back too quickly. VK will have to learn there is still a place for a solid 442, and defending a 2 goal lead is an obvious example. We can still play possession based football in that shape.

I hope Barnes starts at Shrewsbury and would love him to get a goal or two to get his season up and running.

Dingo
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Dingo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:16 pm

I thought Barnes did ok yesterday. I was pleased to see him dropping deeper and getting more involved, and at times he held the ball up well and linked players in. There were just two issues that came to my mind. First, relating to his physical ability, he doesn’t look sharp in terms of finishing. The chance he messed up didn’t look great, but it wasn’t an easy one to connect with. Though it’s not the first time this season - he needs a goal to get some confidence. Second, in terms of his decision making, on the right when he went past the keeper, had he had better awareness he could have had a shot as there was a brief moment where there was a clear path to goal, but his attempt to win the free kick made him look foolish. It’s clear that strategy isn’t working for him in the Championship, and he’s going to need to adapt. I think he can adapt and hope he does.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:38 pm

GDK wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:41 am
Wow, what a horrible thread about someone who has played a huge part in our success over the last 8 years or so.

I'm sure he'd agree it wasn't his best afternoon but the problems that led to us throwing the points away started long before he came on. How come we are allowed to be more patient with the new players, but allow Ash no time at all to learn how to play this totally new system?
It’s not nice, and we all acknowledge the contribution he’s made over the last 8 years, but if all he’s capable of now is to try and influence games by cheating - and frankly he’s not even very good at it - he’s not not really deserving of much sympathy.

Slurpy
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 9 times

Post by Slurpy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:43 pm

There's alot of sentimental people on here.

Thanks for the memories Barnes but you don't offer us anything, so please go a find a new challenge and play as much football as possible in a league that you'll score goals.

Which I assume is what he loves doing considering he's a footballer?

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:45 pm

IanMcL wrote:
Once.

I had a pretty good view of that from the JMU, and I would disagree- never enough contact to send him over. But that’s the other point about the way he’s playing now. Refs know he’s always at it, so they’re never going to give the benefit of any doubt.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6907 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:52 pm

The decision not to terminate his contract after the drink driving episode is really coming back to haunt us.
This user liked this post: AGENT_CLARET