Early Thoughts On Muric?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Re: Early Thoughts On Muric?

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:45 pm

Just watched MOTD and De Gea’s passing out from the back was something else, in a bad way.

Muric has had a hairy moment or two and needs to judge when to launch it, he also has only had one save to make so far, but I’m looking forward to watching him. He hasn’t done anything negative in the De Gea sense yet. Even if he does we should get behind him.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:16 pm

Hearts in mouth stuff when he gets the ball, but two really good saves to save us from defeat.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:18 pm

At least we know he’s a decent keeper.

Some really top saves second half.

As for passing out, it was crowd pressure second half that forced him to go long more and we lost control of the game, quite an interesting paradox.
This user liked this post: up_the_clarets_1989

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:20 pm

The fans have been poor two games in a row. Ironic cheering of Taylor completing passes on Tuesday and ironic cheering of Muric playing the ball long. Course, his pass to Cullen put him under pressure but Cullen was at best equally to blame for that goal.

The atmosphere needs to be raucous, backing the team. Not ironically cheering, it doesn’t help.

Muric made some great saves second half, he was probably close to my man of the match in the end.
These 3 users liked this post: Matt_Whalley Vegas Claret up_the_clarets_1989

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:21 pm

RVclaret wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:18 pm
At least we know he’s a decent keeper.

Some really top saves second half.

As for passing out, it was crowd pressure second half that forced him to go long more and we lost control of the game, quite an interesting paradox.
This is a new one, blaming defeat on the crowd. Especially given him going short too much led to their first goal. Not a fan of booing or ironic cheering but come on.
I'll grant you he kept us in it with some second half saves but it should never have got to that point.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:23 pm

MDWat wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:20 pm
The fans have been poor two games in a row. Ironic cheering of Taylor completing passes on Tuesday and ironic cheering of Muric playing the ball long. Course, his pass to Cullen put him under pressure but Cullen was at best equally to blame for that goal.

The atmosphere needs to be raucous, backing the team. Not ironically cheering, it doesn’t help.

Muric made some great saves second half, he was probably close to my man of the match in the end.
I'm not against playng short but do think we're overdoing it- but I fully agree on the ironic cheering. It's a problem we've had before. I'm not sure how much it impacted proceedings but it certainly doesn't help, a loud, positive crowd always provides a lift.
What gets me is that many of the ironic cheers probably came from fans who didn't like us playing so long under Dyche.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:23 pm

Real mixed bag from Muric- poor decision making led to their 1st, was very poor for their second and was anonymous for their third. On the other hand he made 2 goal saving saves and launched a couple of excellent attacks. Perhaps he needs an experienced hand telling him when to play and when to hoof it

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:25 pm

Thought Cullen was **** poor for their first goal. Looks bad on Muric but it was a good pass and Cullen was unmarked until his bad first touch.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:26 pm

He’s a bit of a clown.

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:29 pm

Thought he was fine, good pressing from Blackpool and a lot of the times it wasn't actually him who gave the ball away. A couple of decent stops and he is crucial to this way of playing. The cheers at his long kicks were embarrassing.
This user liked this post: LiamKennyBFC

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:15 pm

He gave the ball away again a few minutes later. He chipped the ball over one Blackpool man, aiming for our man on the wing, but either he didn't hit it hard enough or else he didn't see the second Blackpool man and they had the ball in a good position.

I'm not convinced his passing is better than Pope's. He might be more accurate at it, but his judgement of when not to pass is suspect IMO. Even if the first one was partly Cullen's fault, I'm not convinced that passing to a man on the edge of his own area, facing his own goal, under pressure from an opponet, is ever a good idea.
These 2 users liked this post: BurnleyFC alwaysaclaret

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:24 am

Legend

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:28 am

no thoughts on any of them yet, way too early to judge any of them
This user liked this post: jen1066

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:11 am

Early thoughts are for me is that his distribution has been atrocious. I thought that even in the first game.
Yesterday he cost us the first goal - it was 100% his fault. In football players show for the ball all the time. It doesn’t mean you give it to them. The goal changed the momentum of the game as up to that point we were playing brilliantly and Blackpool could not get near us.
Yesterday he must have made at least half a dozen serious mistakes with his feet and we got lucky because they failed to capitalise.
He takes too long with his first touch to control the ball and then too long to decide what to do. When he does his accuracy and weight on the ball is often lacking and the opposition are closing him down and closing down our players round the box.
The worry is for me is I don’t see his distribution getting much better - so the thing we need for him to improve quickly is his decision making and part of that needs to come from VK. In certain situations he needs to clear his lines - simple. At certain periods in a match as a team we need to manage the game better. Eg when we are 2 up or straight after half time when we know it’s very likely a team will have made a tactical change if they are losing and will also be fighting harder to get back into a game with an early goal.
Far far too much made of Nick Pope’s kicking. I am struggling to remember a time when his kicking cost us a goal in the whole time he was here.
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick BurnleyFC Elizabeth

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:18 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:11 am
Early thoughts are for me is that his distribution has been atrocious. I thought that even in the first game.
Yesterday he cost us the first goal - it was 100% his fault. In football players show for the ball all the time. It doesn’t mean you give it to them. The goal changed the momentum of the game as up to that point we were playing brilliantly and Blackpool could not get near us.
Yesterday he must have made at least half a dozen serious mistakes with his feet and we got lucky because they failed to capitalise.
He takes too long with his first touch to control the ball and then too long to decide what to do. When he does his accuracy and weight on the ball is often lacking and the opposition are closing him down and closing down our players round the box.
The worry is for me is I don’t see his distribution getting much better - so the thing we need for him to improve quickly is his decision making and part of that needs to come from VK. In certain situations he needs to clear his lines - simple. At certain periods in a match as a team we need to manage the game better. Eg when we are 2 up or straight after half time when we know it’s very likely a team will have made a tactical change if they are losing and will also be fighting harder to get back into a game with an early goal.
Far far too much made of Nick Pope’s kicking. I am struggling to remember a time when his kicking cost us a goal in the whole time he was here.
were you not paying attention in the second half when he went long on multiple occasion and dropped a few into midfield ? he's learning and I suspect he'll be a quick learner as will the team. To say his distribution is "atrocious" is nothing short of embarrassing
This user liked this post: RVclaret

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:46 am

Big Vinny K wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:11 am
There were numerous times where he kicked it out of touch and kept us under pressure which resulted in goals. Not to mention we would struggle to even keep the ball because the kicks weren't accurate enough.

I'm not one for goalkeeper playing tiki-taka but kicking accurately and making shorter passes are two very different skills. Sadly Pope doesn't do either well but he more than makes up for it with his other goalkeeping and throwing.

Muric is a lot better passing and a lot better at kicking. He's still learning and he'll get to grip more when and when not to play it short as he learns more about his team mates.

Keeping the ball and controlling the game is important when we're ahead too. So whilst he does make mistakes he will be under strict instruction to keep possession so we can try and control the game.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:49 am

Distribution ‘atrocious’, deary me.

It’s been nothing of superb until yesterday, which is the first time it’s looked a bit shaky. It’s also the first time we’ve been pressed high by a 4-4-2 (the best pressing formation).

He’s been a key player to our system and will continue to be. I’m sure there will be analysis done and learning of what other options there are rather than short.

Don’t forget the lad is just 23 years old, Nick Pope was playing on loan for York at the same age.

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 am

That's 0-1 from playing out from the keeper, still we scored 3 goals from long balls.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 am

claretandy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:50 am
That's 0-1 from playing out from the keeper, still we scored 3 goals from long balls.
Errrr no it doesn’t really work like that.

Firstly, the third goal was started with him anyway and secondly, there were other golden chances to score that our players missed - both Vitinho’s and Maatsen’s started with playing out and were exceptional moves from back to front.

That’s just yesterday, there have been many many other chances created so far this season from it.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:07 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:18 am
were you not paying attention in the second half when he went long on multiple occasion and dropped a few into midfield ? he's learning and I suspect he'll be a quick learner as will the team. To say his distribution is "atrocious" is nothing short of embarrassing
Yep I was there paying attention the whole game - at the start of the second half he gave the ball away in the first couple of minutes by doing exactly the same thing he had been doing in the first half….and they nearly scored.

The first time he kicked it long in the second half the crowd actually cheered.

I’m aware he is under instruction to play like this. I just do not agree that he is particularly good at it.
This user liked this post: Elizabeth

helmclaret
Been Liked: 300 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by helmclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:20 am

I think the defenders need to show a bit more courage and stop playing back to him so often. There were numerous times yesterday a ball
could have been played in behind (on the deck) or out wide to Maatsen or Vitinho and we opted to turn back inside and take the easy way out and back to the keeper.

I like him. He’s young in keeper terms. I think we have bigger problems and finding a centre half and 2 strikers should be the focus.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:23 am

Not sure why fans on his back made decent saves
Taylor at CH concerns me Cork can’t play 90 mins
It’s his age .
Some class players enjoy the ride .

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 am

RVclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:52 am
Errrr no it doesn’t really work like that.

Firstly, the third goal was started with him anyway and secondly, there were other golden chances to score that our players missed - both Vitinho’s and Maatsen’s started with playing out and were exceptional moves from back to front.

That’s just yesterday, there have been many many other chances created so far this season from it.
If you're counting chances created then lets count near misses that we get away with.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:45 am

claretandy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 am
If you're counting chances created then lets count near misses that we get away with.
Great well the chances created tally far outweighs that, cheers
These 2 users liked this post: LiamKennyBFC jen1066

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:56 am

Jesus H Christ

Its still only five games and his distribution (considering the amount of times he gets it and passes it) is fine

And he showed he can make saves as well yesterday

There were mistakes made yesterday, but not by the keeper

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 am

Early days so hard judge. He was clearly part of the reason why we didn't win yesterday with his pass to Cullen, but we will and should get used to his style because it's fundamental to how VK wants us to play and why he signed him. There will be more moments like his dodgy decision making and distribution at times yesterday.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:08 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:56 am
Jesus H Christ

Its still only five games and his distribution (considering the amount of times he gets it and passes it) is fine

And he showed he can make saves as well yesterday

There were mistakes made yesterday, but not by the keeper
Actually, he probably shouldn't have passed it to Cullen in that position now I look at it again, but Cullen should deal with it better

So Muric is partially at fault for the first

But that is the way we are going to play, and though it gives me heart failure (because I'm not used to it!) I'll get used to it

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:09 am

Pass it once ok but why our defenders pass back ? It is nonsense it cost us yesterday
Maatsen was totally unmarked many time yet we had the ponderous mauling about rather than ball up the wing

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:13 am

BTW i'm blaming the defence for keep passing it back to him instead of taking responsibility more than him giving the ball away.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:17 am

Woodleyclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:09 am
Pass it once ok but why our defenders pass back ? It is nonsense it cost us yesterday
Maatsen was totally unmarked many time yet we had the ponderous mauling about rather than ball up the wing
That is my gripe. They'd drawn the press in but Muric decided to pass to those being pressed rather than bypassing it to the full backs. Poor decision making on more than one occasion.
These 2 users liked this post: forzagranata alwaysaclaret

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:19 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:17 am
That is my gripe. They'd drawn the press in but Muric decided to pass to those being pressed rather than bypassing it to the full backs. Poor decision making on more than one occasion.
Yep you are right it’s decision making more than anything else.

I’m 100% sure it will be analysed by the staff this week.

It was the first team we’ve faced that have pressed us so high in a 4-4-2 shape (best pressing shape), so it’s a learning curve.

Muric has accurate long kicking so it’s not like he can’t pick out someone on the wing for example.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:22 am

claretandy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:13 am
BTW i'm blaming the defence for keep passing it back to him instead of taking responsibility more than him giving the ball away.
That is a fair point

But other people clearly have made up their minds and its more than a little disappointing

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:23 am

Zenwisdom wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:23 am
Not sure why fans on his back made decent saves
Taylor at CH concerns me Cork can’t play 90 mins
It’s his age .
Some class players enjoy the ride .
The bigger picture being Hennessey was expected to stay we all knew pope was off that said it was kompanys choice to sign muric, truth be told had that not happened Hennessey would be starting & muric wouldn't even be here, Hennessey mid July departure forced the late arrival.

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:25 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:22 am
That is a fair point

But other people clearly have made up their minds and its more than a little disappointing
Muric's passing is excellent, but if's there's nowt on, I'd rather he just clear it.

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:30 am

The problem Muric has is that he’s followed Heaton and Pope. I’m sure he’ll turn out to be a decent signing.

Spindles
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by Spindles » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:34 am

That 1st goal has to lay on the shoulders of Cullen. It's appalling control, he goes to collect it with his right turning past the man closing in but leaves without the ball. Watch it again. 80% Cullen at least.

Now I'm not saying Muric shouldn't have maybe put his foot through it but Cullen is supposed to be our quarterback and this is how we are going to play

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:37 am

In all seriousness, if Kompany had played me in goal, rather than Muric, we’d probably have the name number of points in the league.

As a goalkeeper he’s flattered to deceive so far. Anyone can pass the ball a few yards. When he’s been called upon, it normally ends up with him picking the ball out the net.
Last edited by claptrappers_union on Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 am

claretandy wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:25 am
Muric's passing is excellent, but if's there's nowt on, I'd rather he just clear it.
Will come straight back though, as we are not set up to play like that

Its a balance though, but I think we are a better side when we play this way

Zlatan
Been Liked: 2229 times
Has Liked: 5739 times

Post by Zlatan » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:47 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 am

Our first goal was a speculative punt up field albeit not from Muric, I don’t disagree though about playing it out from the back and I’m enjoying it tbh. Their first goal though, now I’ve watched it again, needs to go wide when they press - the worst that happens is it goes out of play - and not giving them the ball 20 yards out.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:57 am

Early thoughts after 5 games

1. He will make mistakes as he is still learning the system and patterns of play.
2. Doesn't come for many crosses for a big guy
3. Doesn't dive much does he?

I'm, prepared to give him time, but as it stands, the jury's out

claretandy

Post by claretandy » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:17 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:38 am

Easier to defend that than give the ball away on the edge of the box.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:18 am

Better than the alternative...... Peacock Farrell

clarethomer
Been Liked: 942 times
Has Liked: 410 times

Post by clarethomer » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:32 am

Been impressed with him.

Found he has been calm on the ball and has been the start of many attacking plays.

His role is vital to our dominance in possession.

Think there is always the chance of a mistake in any keeper but on balance there are many many more positives than negatives.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:33 am

Pearcey wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:30 am
The problem Muric has is that he’s followed Heaton and Pope. I’m sure he’ll turn out to be a decent signing.
It seems to be one extreme to the other with our keepers. Pope, brilliant shot stopper who can't kick a ball accurately to save his life, and even looked like he'd struggle to trap a bag of cement at times, to Muric who seems to be a far better passer (and a risk taker) but doesn't seem to be anywhere near as good at saving one-on-ones.

The reality is if Pope could pass a ball out of defence he would never have played for Burnley.

Likewise with Muric, going to a bigger club than Man City selling him to us.

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:37 am

Aside from the style of play etc, I thought he made at least two very good close range saves that were actually quite Pope-esque.

Lambo
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by Lambo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:43 am

He’s obviously a decent goalkeeper, VK wouldn’t have sanctioned the purchase if he didn’t rate him and he’s playing to instructions to pass out from the back, firstly yes, it was a pass to the wrong man (Cullen) for the 1st goal but the crowd reactions did not help going forward after that….we have to get used to a completely different style of play under VK and that will come with hiccups…anyone who’s ever played football at a decent level can see our main problem is physicality…we were bullied in the 2nd half, Charlie is not a centre half and Madine especially when he came on, sat on him from goalkicks, free kicks, long balls and our midfield couldn’t match the aggression….we need a big, powerful centre half to play alongside THB (should be priority) plus a mobile centre forward…Jay was doing fine but as soon as he went off our mobility up front went….I like Ash, brilliant servant but he just doesn’t fit into VK’s style of football….I’m saying all that, some of the football at times is brilliant and we really should have won yesterday, as I said it was Blackpools physicality that got them back in the game and we need to match that going forward
Last edited by Lambo on Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lambo
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by Lambo » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:44 am

He’s obviously a decent goalkeeper, VK wouldn’t have sanctioned the purchase if he didn’t rate him and he’s playing to instructions to pass out from the back, firstly yes, it was a pass to the wrong man (Cullen) for the 1st goal but the crowd reactions did not help going forward after that….we have to get used to a completely different style of play under VK and that will come with hiccups…anyone who’s ever played football at a decent level can see our main problem is physicality…we were bullied in the 2nd half, Charlie is not a centre half and Madine especially when he came on, sat on him from goalkicks, free kicks, long balls and our midfield couldn’t match the aggression….we need a big, powerful centre half to play alongside THB (should be priority) plus a mobile centre forward…Jay was doing fine but as soon as he went off our mobility up front went….I like Ash, brilliant servant but he just doesn’t fit into VK’s style of football….In saying all that, some of the football at times is brilliant and we really should have won yesterday, as I said it was Blackpools physicality that got them back in the game and we need to match that going forward

Rammy1968
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Rammy1968 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:47 am

Muric looks a great keeper made some excellent saves late on in the second half to keep us in the game. Just needs to mix up his distribution which may need to come from Kompany. Suck them in by playing short but every now and then go long and bypass the midfield leaving 5 of their players deep in our half. That aside I think he looks good

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:51 am

spt_claret wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:21 pm
This is a new one, blaming defeat on the crowd. Especially given him going short too much led to their first goal. Not a fan of booing or ironic cheering but come on.
I'll grant you he kept us in it with some second half saves but it should never have got to that point.
Wguxh qaant his fault he was keeping ua in it at 3-1 before they equalised. That save at the back post on around 65 was class

BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 707 times
Has Liked: 618 times

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:52 am

My view is he is a decent keeper. Good feet and passes well (even long). Confident too. Overall that's going to be positive.