It FEELS different this season

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

It FEELS different this season

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:38 pm

I nearly added to the "Bloody hell that was frustrating" thread rather than starting a new one but I wanted to focus solely on the emotional experience. Does anyone else FEEL different watching us this season?

I am less nervous in the build-up and that calm is maintained until about 75 mins into the game (so far). The feeling of dread, or perhaps fear of a tonking, has gone and been replaced with something closer to serenity. I did question if it was a drop off in my level of passion, driven more by disillusionment with off the field matters rather than our relegation. As proud as I have been of our PL years, there's never been a strong correlation between my enjoyment and the division we played in. Satisfied that my passion hadn't waned I reflected on why my emotions had changed.

The Hudds game had a big psychological impact. I probably wasn't ready for the restart of the season for a number of reasons but the immediate identity and style of play was hugely encouraging. I think that having so much of the ball and, to some extent, dictating the tempo of the game has relaxed me. We had so little quality ball last season that every opportunity felt stressful. I think we have been the better side in all 3 games so far so I appreciate that there will be bigger (emotional) tests ahead.

I did say that my calmness only lasts until 75 mins. I was really frustrated tonight, particularly after the sending off. It hurt just as much as defeats last season, maybe even more so because we didn't deserve it.

I sensed last season might have been our last in the PL for a while and tried to savour it but I just couldn't. This is in no way a criticism of our style of play under SD - it was a study in pragmatism and I enjoyed the massive highs that we had.

Am I kidding myself? Am I just not as invested in this group of players (yet)? Will I soon be telling non-Clarets that possession is the most important stat and that keepers should be judged on distribution not saves? Actually, even Muric's decision making doesn't worry me - in fact, I like him!

Anyone else noticed a change in how they feel watching us this season?
This user liked this post: BobbyBoucher

Pickles
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Re: It FEELS different this season

Post by Pickles » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:49 pm

Fair points.

I feel more excited and invested this season than I have in the last few.

New players. Exciting players. I'm convinced that if Dyche was still in charge we'd have lost the same players but replaced them with thirty-five year old "good in the changing room" kinds of players.

New tactics.

New teams to play against.

I'd like us to be in the Prem again soon, obviously, but I'm going to enjoy the Championship ride for the time being.

There's a hell of a lot to be intrigued, positive and excited about.

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:50 pm

For me this season is more academic - observing the technicality rather than seeing if we can carve another notch in the PL survival tree trunk. I have previously been absorbed by the aim of survival, whereas now I’m watching the game more technically

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:51 pm

Apprehension.
That's probably my main emotion, cos I'm wondering how things will pan out.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:52 pm

There was for me this feeling of inevitability in so many games over the last two seasons. Go 1-0 down? Oh well, we're not winning today then. City away? Oh well, five it is. We're drawing the game at 60 minutes? Oh well, maybe that'll change when Jay comes on at 85 minutes. Oh look, it didn't change. People can make an argument that we always played to win, and of course I know on an intellectual level we always played to win, but as far as it made me feel, it always felt in my gut like we were playing not to lose. There are reasons for that, and some of them are totally justified. A point away at, say, Leicester, is a very good point. But it's not what football is about for a fan. A sprinkling of just enough good results and performances over that time stopped me from losing my sanity.

It's too early to say how well we'll do this season, and granted we're now in an easier league, but it feels like we're playing with a lot of intent, and this just makes everything a bit rosier.

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:50 am

It may feel different but the problems remain the same as last season - so far.....

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Re: It FEELS different this seasonk

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:00 am

Played three. Won one against a side not ready for us. Played two more against sides no better than us but only a point to show for it. Both those sides were physically bigger than us and I don't see that trend changing. If Watford are in the category of 'teams to watch out for' then we are in with more than a chance but a little more 'streetwise' won't go amiss.