Been a superb start

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
kenyon6923
Been Liked: 31 times

Been a superb start

Post by kenyon6923 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:05 am

New manager, sold 90% of our best players, new players of all ages, experiences and quality arriving at the club at different times throughout last 4-5 weeks to be trained/coached/tested by a new coaching/management set up and so far for a lot less money than we have reaped in.
The football is a million times better, yes it needs tweaking, sometimes a lot of huff and puff with at times a poor end product but football on the ground is the "Burnley way" so identity starting to return.
We have played 3 testing teams so far, 2 away and 1 home - 2 teams that was in the play offs last season (1 making the final) and last night the 2nd favs to win the league, we have been in every game so far. We have also got to remember we were "blessed" last 2 times in this league with strikers good enough to be talked about in our top 10 strikers of all time and the difference might be a Austin/Gray or Ings might have produced a something out of nothing moment last night and all of a sudden a point away at Watford is a wonderful result.
We need a good striker but guess what so does a awful lot of other teams - and that includes prem teams as well and our last striker purchase for 10-15m of Weg did not exactly go to plan so to find one at a lot less money that is the missing link might take 2-3 stabs before we find the right one who knows.

Better football, we can at least see what's trying to be achieved on the pitch, feel good factor, the bench getting stronger, possibly 1-2 more incomings, 3 tough games out the way, identity slowly returning - ok not perfect it was never going to be, overall superb start.
These 3 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret louieollie Matt_Whalley

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Re: Been a superb start

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:13 am

Been a superb start

I agree for all those reasons you mention. We were so unlucky last night to come away with nothing. We'll win games while playing far worse this season, that's for sure.

kenyon6923
Been Liked: 31 times

Post by kenyon6923 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:19 am

yeah but again I know its harping back to the past but the 3 strikers I mentioned in the OP also won us games when we played poorly - thats also the difference in this league of games thick and fast.

Turftalker
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Turftalker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:30 am

I strongly agree with those calling for patience and being positive. As noted- new manager, new playing style, new league, vastly different squad - all to mould with a limited length pre-season. I am frankly delighted in the early signs.

Ideally we need a couple of weeks for the new squad to refine on the training ground, but the Championship doesn't afford such luxuries. We need to play through growing pains; this will lead to frustrating performances and results at times. But we are growing and building with a young team.

My big concern- some fans. The lack of patience and at times hysteria after last night worries me for difficult matches at Turf Moor. Some on here seem to enjoy nothing less than the we're doomed, I told you so type of message.

VK has been impressive so far and he clearly knows we need more attacking options. Let's allow a young manager and squad to actually grow for a while and enjoy the ride, ups and downs!
These 4 users liked this post: Darnhill Claret tiger76 burnleymik Juan Tanamera

eastcoastclaret
Been Liked: 114 times
Has Liked: 77 times

Post by eastcoastclaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:37 am

I always thought that it would be after the World Cup that we would begin to settle and show some consistency. I still believe that. We are certainly heading in the right direction and in terms of points, about where I thought we would be after 3 games

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:37 am

Turftalker wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:30 am
My big concern- some fans. The lack of patience and at times hysteria after last night worries me for difficult matches at Turf Moor. Some on here seem to enjoy nothing less than the we're doomed, I told you so type of message.
That was hilarious last night. The comments from some about a 1-0 away loss to one of the better teams in the league, to a fairly lucky goal in the context of the game, despite having 61% possession & their keeper making some great saves were unreal.
These 5 users liked this post: RVclaret Darnhill Claret tiger76 burnleymik Zlatan

Neil
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by Neil » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:43 am

I said on the match thread at half time that the majority would think the first half has gone ok but we need more cutting edge to go with the possession. Then Watford score at the end and an ok performance turns into an awful one.
We had a real go in the last 20 minutes (not the last 10) and based on chances and possession we really deserved a point overall.
The positive thing about dominating possession is that it makes it hard for the opposition to score when they can't get the ball.
It's blatantly obvious that we need more thrust to go with the possession but we've got to be patient and see who comes in before the window closes.
Since the Huddersfield game, Scott Twine has gone from being the last piece of the puzzle to the man to save us from relegation on here.
I'm still confident and hopeful that a mobile centre forward and Twine will see the possession turn into goals.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:46 am

I have my doubts about this group. I look at the group and I think will they improve as the season grinds on, will they be strong enough mentally and physically to cope with the demands of championship football.

I honestly think we will soon be found to have a weak under belly with the opposition targeting certain players as Watford did with Benson last night

Turftalker
Been Liked: 39 times
Has Liked: 16 times

Post by Turftalker » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:49 am

It is the quick judgements of doom that amaze me. Some were criticising Tella after his 30 min cameo. He came on against a team defending with everyone behind the ball and likely has had no more than one training session. Give the bloke a chance! Our new style, more than ever, requires the squad to understand and feel where teammates will be. That doesn't come overnight.
These 3 users liked this post: tiger76 louieollie Juan Tanamera

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:54 am

3 games in, and some people have already written us off. We have some right balloons on here.
These 6 users liked this post: Paulclaret Darnhill Claret bfcmatt tiger76 bobinho Juan Tanamera

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 846 times
Has Liked: 1090 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:59 am

Don’t agree with the thread title. It’s been an acceptable start and patience will be required with all the changes. Whilst the possession based football is easier on the eye we are not working working opposing goalkeepers and look weak in the final third. I think we are a way off where we need to be. First half against Luton and first half last night were poor imo.
These 3 users liked this post: Top Claret Superjohnnyfrancis beddie

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:05 am

Not a “superb “ start ( hysterical OP)though we’ve been decent enough , good to see Jay back and we’re missing Twine and a CF . Barnes and Costello have been stop gaps and side starting to take shape . 9 shots to their 1 and 64% poss away at a top said is very telling . While it’s a snooze fest to watch all this slow build up , we’ll improve every game imo and some teams we’ll tear apart .

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:11 am

Not a 'superb' start, but not a bad one.

In SD's words, we lost on small margins yesterday. Watford indeed did an (old) Burnley on (the new) Burnley.

Brownhill could not have done better but his shot landed on the bar, and McNally did well to keep the ball down, but hit it straight at their goalie.

Lots of possession, most shots on target playing away at Watford, all positives, but we still lack the clinical touch

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:12 am

Top Claret wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:46 am
I have my doubts about this group. I look at the group and I think will they improve as the season grinds on, will they be strong enough mentally and physically to cope with the demands of championship football.

I honestly think we will soon be found to have a weak under belly with the opposition targeting certain players as Watford did with Benson last night
I think that’s exactly why VK has said we may need a season to adjust.

He also got it absolutely spot on about Benson, saying words like: “It is something we have to deal with, I don't care if the ref gives it or not. If he comes to kick you then run in behind, if he matches you for pace then you come short then create space”.

Very positive that he’s talking like this because that is how Benson will learn & develop.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 999 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:26 am

I wouldn't say "superb" but highly satisfactory given the background (huge turnaround in players/management/playing style).

4 points from 3 games (2 of them away) is a very decent return and it could easily have been 4 from 3 with a bit more luck last night.
Definitely in need of somebody more adept at getting the ball in the net (whether that's JayRod, Twine or somebody new) to become a more serious top 6 challenger.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:53 am

Could easily be on 9 points-Muric has hardly had a save to make. That would have put us in a false sense of security. Instead we know now that Barnes and Costelloe at best are back ups, that we need to play with two genuine centre halves.We have a bright manager that will have learned a lot last night and has 3 weeks to make us a stronger side. We now have the right recruitment process to make it happen. Anyone not happy just focus on performances like Norwich away, Villa at home, Brentford away last season with about two chances created in these three games, and a dire level of football

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:18 am

Won game 1

Should have won game 2. Its probably a pen with VAR

Deserved a draw last night, and could have got all 3

I'm happy enough
This user liked this post: Bosscat

jos
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 294 times

Post by jos » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:39 am

Roosterbooster wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:18 am
Won game 1

Should have won game 2. Its probably a pen with VAR

Deserved a draw last night, and could have got all 3

I'm happy enough
Me Too, It's a work in progress, and I'm enjoying watching it as it offers up hope.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:58 am

It's been an average start

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:59 am

Steady start and games like last night are part of their learning curve, where I would have slight concerns is why have we started so slowly in both the Luton and Watford games, both 1st halves were ponderous and sloppy, and led to us chasing the games, 2nd halves were a vast improvement, but we can't afford to keep allowing teams a head start.

Get a few signings over the next few weeks, and get the group gelling, and everyone fit, and we'll be a genuine force in this league.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:19 am

Definitely need a fast attacker don’t think barnes or Jay Rod have had more than one shot on goal yet. Look really off the pace.

Need a big chunk of money spending on a playmaker too go big or go home.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2490 times
Has Liked: 761 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:25 am

I've been most impressed with the way we keep the opposition away from goal. Muric has faced two, maybe three, shots on target so far in three games. The way we keep the ball greatly limits the number of efforts we face on our goal.

Broadly speaking though, it's been nothing more than an ok start. The tempo we played at against Huddersfield is what is needed, not the very slow and ponderous tempo we played the first half against Luton and Watford. We improved in the second half of both games, but were already a goal down. The lack of a cutting edge and penetration is something that I'm sure Kompany is working hard on, because that's the biggest worry so far. We do look absolutely toothless, with Brownhill looking like the only genuine goal threat so far.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:34 am

Is Twine a no 10 or a winger?

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:40 am

My expectations pre season ebbed and flowed as players left and new ones signed.
I'm pleasently surprised at where the team is at so early in the season, thought what we've seen so far would have come much further down the line.
I'm hoping that this is a level from which we progress and especially important, we have hit our stride by the time we play bstrds.

louieollie
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by louieollie » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:50 am

Turftalker wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:49 am
It is the quick judgements of doom that amaze me. Some were criticising Tella after his 30 min cameo. He came on against a team defending with everyone behind the ball and likely has had no more than one training session. Give the bloke a chance! Our new style, more than ever, requires the squad to understand and feel where teammates will be. That doesn't come overnight.

Totally agree especially about Tella , it was evident that he didn't get the ball too often from his team mates probably due to not knowing if they can trust him yet. He made himself space on quite a few occasions, was shouting and showing for the ball but the option seemed to just pass it either sideways or to the opposite wing. He needs time to settle in as do the rest of the team. I'm confident this squad will come good pretty soon . Personally I think he showed more promise than Benson at this stage ( again very early days ), Vitinho looked the best of the three for me in every way.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:00 pm

it's gone exactly as expected, team and manager trying to find their feet.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:04 pm

Superjohnnyfrancis wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:34 am
Is Twine a no 10 or a winger?
Central Midfielder but can play as a 10 or Striker - or occasionally a winger - pretty versatile!

Superjohnnyfrancis

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:47 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:04 pm
Central Midfielder but can play as a 10 or Striker - or occasionally a winger - pretty versatile!
Thanks , sounds like he needs to be in the team plus a quick striker like Gray but who can control the ball and play at pace.