Possession Cup

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Re: Possession Cup

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:32 am

I actually think we are having more possession than perhaps Kompany wants. His Anderlecht team averaged 55%, while we are currently averaging 70%! I think a lot of that it down to how teams have set up against us, and also the fact we’ve conceded the first goal. If we can nick that first goal then it means the opposition needs to come out of their shell, press a bit higher and this naturally opens up more spaces. Blackpool will be the exact same on Saturday.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 am

Pickles wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:08 pm
There's going to be a thread like this after every game we don't win, isn't there?
Yup, makes you wonder why they don't watch a different game. It is lost on my why someone would watch a game on TV and not enjoy it but keep watching it.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:14 am

Some on this thread are proper Eeyores. They are the same people who wanted to sack Dyche years ago and banged on about it every time we lost a game. We could be mid-table in the EPL, and they would still be on here moaning about why we aren't in a Champions League spot.

At least I'm not sat next to them on t'Turf. Mind you, some worst 'offenders' don't go near. Sat at home watching some dodgy stream is far from reality when compared to the 'match day' buzz of actually being there.

It's not only about the 90 minutes for most of us. It's the meeting up in the pub or wherever with real people. Catching up with old friends or chatting to fellow fans you've never met before, including the opposition supporters. The walking to the match through the throngs of people. The build-up, the anticipation and the buzz before kick off. Walking off at the final whistle, happy, sad, or disappointed, but still loving the whole experience because it's why we go on. If supporting your club was only about winning - every football fan in the country would support one of the European Super League clubs.
These 4 users liked this post: tiger76 Burnley1989 GaryClaret Bosscat

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:53 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:59 pm
There are people already writing us off as relegation candidates on the match thread. This place is utterly bonkers.

I for one want people to be realistic and stop thinking that we are going to walk this league, because we aren't.

This present side needs a lot of work before we are anywhere near good enough, we also need to recruit some quality if we want to play like Man City

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:57 am

Top Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:53 am
I for one want people to be realistic and stop thinking that we are going to walk this league, because we aren't.

This present side needs a lot of work before we are anywhere near good enough, we also need to recruit some quality if we want to play like Man City
I think anyone who suggested we will walk the league is not entirely sensible/realistic but I admire their positive thinking.

We do need a bit more quality but it also needs time. Like Kompany said, it we can be around the play offs by the time of the World Cup break, that would be sound.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:03 am

Billy Balfour wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:14 am
Some on this thread are proper Eeyores. They are the same people who wanted to sack Dyche years ago and banged on about it every time we lost a game. We could be mid-table in the EPL, and they would still be on here moaning about why we aren't in a Champions League spot.

At least I'm not sat next to them on t'Turf. Mind you, some worst 'offenders' don't go near. Sat at home watching some dodgy stream is far from reality when compared to the 'match day' buzz of actually being there.

It's not only about the 90 minutes for most of us. It's the meeting up in the pub or wherever with real people. Catching up with old friends or chatting to fellow fans you've never met before, including the opposition supporters. The walking to the match through the throngs of people. The build-up, the anticipation and the buzz before kick off. Walking off at the final whistle, happy, sad, or disappointed, but still loving the whole experience because it's why we go on. If supporting your club was only about winning - every football fan in the country would support one of the European Super League clubs.
Can I ask, would you be happy to see us play non-league football if you still enjoyed the match day experience?

And yes, for the vast majority of fans, I do think winning is by far the most important thing, as I'd have to ask my self "What's the point of competing in in any sport if winning isn't the primary goal?"

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:04 am

Milltown1882 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:41 pm
What do we win for having the most possession at the end of this season?

It’s all well and good VK bringing City influences but everything is so slow and laboured, every game we’ve allowed teams to get everyone behind the ball before we make forward moves and it’s the same result every time.

So so poor in the final third again tonight.
It has been 4 games.

4 games.

4!

FOUR GAMES.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:05 am

Teams are already setting up against us, though we’re gradually working better and I thought last night we were our best yet with lots more to come . Sure it’s bit lethargic and boring playing from the back but our pace ,movement and vision is good . There’s Twine to come and surely a new CF , Jay looked sharp and I’d expect Tella to be starting soon .

When this lot start to gel we’ll rip some sides apart ,especially when they’re having to chase the game . I’d like to see Taylor used to his strengths and Brownhill given a more “ box to box “ role .

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:38 am

I think our possession stats to goals scored shows exactly why need a striker with an eye for goal.

Foreverly Claret
Been Liked: 137 times
Has Liked: 160 times

Post by Foreverly Claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:03 am

We're lacking a bit of guile .Question is how do you turn 77% possession into wins ? it's that last through ball to a decent striker who can capitalise...the one the opposition aren't expecting >Work in progress at the moment and you can't grumble if we are keeping the ball...the other lot can't do a thing without it..my only criticism is that we're very predictable but I'm not disheartened..a bit of fine tuning and we'll be OK.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:27 pm

We're averaging almost 1.5 xG per game and an xG difference of +0.9 per game. That's really good, although it's only 4 games.

Keep doing what we're doing and the goals and wins will come.
These 2 users liked this post: dsr RVclaret

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:19 pm

Spijed wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:03 am
Can I ask, would you be happy to see us play non-league football if you still enjoyed the match day experience?
I wouldn't be happy to see us sink as low as none-league, but I'd still enjoy the match day. BTW: I go to watch a couple of local non-league clubs from time to time, and I always enjoy the day. To be honest, I don't really care for the EPL, but I know it is crucial we get back there by the end of the 2023/24 season - such is where we are with the leveraged buyout.

I said all along that I expect this season to be a transitional one. Some people last night were writing us off as relegation fodder, and that's just bonkers. It also tells you how much they know about football. If I was one of those people, I would be too ashamed to air my utter ignorance in public.
These 4 users liked this post: Spijed GodIsADeeJay81 tiger76 Vegas Claret

quoonbeatz
Has Liked: 757 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:33 pm

Spijed wrote:
I would. You can watch with a pint, for a start. The non-league games I've watched in recent years have been great fun.
Spijed wrote:
And yes, for the vast majority of fans, I do think winning is by far the most important thing, as I'd have to ask my self "What's the point of competing in in any sport if winning isn't the primary goal?"
Everyone wants to win but you can't win all the time and it isn't the most important thing. In fact, losing is just as important so you enjoy the wins more. I'd hate to be a City fan. Where's the excitement? The ones I know (a lot), plenty of them are so bored going to games these days.

It's another conversation but I'm convinced more fans would enjoy football if they thought they had an equal chance of winning the league each season, rather than the same clubs winning everything. It soon gets boring, even if you're the ones doing the winning.

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:47 pm

Tall Paul wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:27 pm
We're averaging almost 1.5 xG per game and an xG difference of +0.9 per game. That's really good, although it's only 4 games.

Keep doing what we're doing and the goals and wins will come.
The stats kids would love a Possession Cup XG League double.....
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 jdrobbo

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:59 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:47 pm
I’m not even sure what this means! 😂
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Tall Paul
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:13 pm

dandeclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:47 pm
Some stats are better predictors than others, xG is probably the best we have.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:26 pm

We're averaging 4.25 shots on target per game (Brownhill's crossbar shot counts as a shot off target, think the difference if that goes in), and we're conceding an average of 1.5 shots on target per game. Or to put it another way, we're having a shot on target roughly every 20 minutes, and allowing one shot on our goal every 60 minutes. It's not like we're doing nothing with possession, we just need to put chances away.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:26 pm
We're averaging 4.25 shots on target per game (Brownhill's crossbar shot counts as a shot off target, think the difference if that goes in), and we're conceding an average of 1.5 shots on target per game. Or to put it another way, we're having a shot on target roughly every 20 minutes, and allowing one shot on our goal every 60 minutes. It's not like we're doing nothing with possession, we just need to put chances away.
That pretty much amounts to the same thing, to quote a poster from the hull forum I'd be pretty p1ssed off as a Burnley fan with all that possession & doing nothing with it & he's got a point, at the end of the season you get accolades for where you finish not based on all these stats that people keep trying to shove down our throats, it boils downs to results that's the only thing which will get us out of this division if that's the overall plan.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:38 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm
That pretty much amounts to the same thing, to quote a poster from the hull forum I'd be pretty p1ssed off as a Burnley fan with all that possession & doing nothing with it & he's got a point, at the end of the season you get accolades for where you finish not based on all these stats that people keep trying to shove down our throats, it boils downs to results that's the only thing which will get us out of this division if that's the overall plan.
Here he goes again. Nobody is shoving stats down your throat, you big drama queen.

They are simply being posted to give context to our performances and you can make the choice whether to read them and accept them or not.
These 4 users liked this post: RVclaret tiger76 CoolClaret evensteadiereddie

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:52 pm

ksrclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:38 pm
Here he goes again. Nobody is shoving stats down your throat, you big drama queen.

They are simply being posted to give context to our performances and you can make the choice whether to read them and accept them or not.
It's every single game we'd have stats about people breaking wind if we could, at the end of the day the name of the game is put the ball in the back of the net failure to do that makes stats pretty much meaningless, you can say stats help improve but you just have to simply score that's it. Stats are over complicating simple things.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:23 pm

I think some people need to remember that the season is not yet 3 weeks old.
This user liked this post: tiger76

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:30 pm

By the way, have we always had such knee-jerk fans? Seems like a thing that's creeped in over the last couple of years or so. We are beginning to sound like red Mancs and blue Scousers.
12_05_05_13_7_26_22.png
12_05_05_13_7_26_22.png (181.33 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:31 pm

Proper drama queen bed wetters on both sides, this is a football forum and people are genuinely shocked why fans are discussing how we can improve as a football team...

People have opinions, get the F over it and deal with it. There's zero issue with fans offering level headed honest feedback on the performances so far, we all understand it's early but why are people trying to silence any kind of opinion. I don't think the 2 attacking midfielders (Brownhill/Bastien) are good enough to play this role, wow jump on me, cancel me, silence me.
This user liked this post: Newcastleclaret93

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:42 pm

SalisburyClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:26 pm
Swansea will win the possession cup
And the winner gets to keep it. :D
These 2 users liked this post: Roosterbooster Neil

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm
You're the only supposed football fan I've ever known in my entire life who apparently can't seem to grasp that tactics are a means to results. I've said this to you before, but it obviously went in one ear, straight through the wind tunnel that is your head, and out the other. Non a single person would argue that we should play possession football for the sake of playing possession football. It's so obvious to everyone bar you that any tactical approach is done with the aim of winning games that it barely needs mentioning. Any resulting discussion around possession is a discussion on its effectiveness, but you're taking the novel approach of pointing out to a forum full of football fans that teams win things by winning games...

...never...really? You mean to tell me that teams win things by scoring more and winning games? Tell me more about this brand new innovation in football.
These 3 users liked this post: RVclaret evensteadiereddie Greenmile

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:25 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:31 pm
Proper drama queen bed wetters on both sides, this is a football forum and people are genuinely shocked why fans are discussing how we can improve as a football team...

People have opinions, get the F over it and deal with it. There's zero issue with fans offering level headed honest feedback on the performances so far, we all understand it's early but why are people trying to silence any kind of opinion. I don't think the 2 attacking midfielders (Brownhill/Bastien) are good enough to play this role, wow jump on me, cancel me, silence me.
Well said

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:40 pm

Spiral wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:18 pm
You're the only supposed football fan I've ever known in my entire life who apparently can't seem to grasp that tactics are a means to results. I've said this to you before, but it obviously went in one ear, straight through the wind tunnel that is your head, and out the other. Non a single person would argue that we should play possession football for the sake of playing possession football. It's so obvious to everyone bar you that any tactical approach is done with the aim of winning games that it barely needs mentioning. Any resulting discussion around possession is a discussion on its effectiveness, but you're taking the novel approach of pointing out to a forum full of football fans that teams win things by winning games...

...never...really? You mean to tell me that teams win things by scoring more and winning games? Tell me more about this brand new innovation in football.
That's not true you are saying that "any tactical approach is done with the aim of winning games" some managers purposely set out to draw games instead of losing & if a winner is nicked that's a bonus, we haven't yet (maybe never will do consistently) devised a system/formation to effectively win games despite the willingness to dictate possession being on the front foot & this no criticism or slight on VK & the team because he's tweaking things with new players & adapting accordingly. What I'm suggesting & in my mind rightly so that the possession needs to come secondary if the results are being compromised because of this meaning if it's more likely to get a result concede that possession & look at springing counters & using the fresh pace that's being introduced into the side instead of knocking it around & going nowhere with it.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 pm

Ok one statistic I noticed is that 87% of the people sat round me last night were 94% happy with the way we played and 6% frustrated we didn’t win.
91% are happy to be patient and are liking how we are playing with a further 93% optimistic it will lead to wins eventually.
I’m only 37% sure that the above is factual
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Bosscat

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:11 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:31 pm

Behold, the most drama queen bedwetting post of the day.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat Greenmile

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:12 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:11 pm
Behold, the most drama queen bedwetting post of the day.
No drama queen or bed wetting from me, I'm very happy with VK and love the new style, just think we need a different combination in the front 4. Hopefully VK is backed properly in the coming weeks.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:20 pm

For this Man City style what we are missing is De Bruyne and Haaland - possibly. We are too slow allowing teams to defend in numbers and then our forwards are being critisized. It will come right.

quoonbeatz

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:49 pm

KRBFC wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:12 pm
No drama queen or bed wetting from me, I'm very happy with VK and love the new style, just think we need a different combination in the front 4. Hopefully VK is backed properly in the coming weeks.
"Jump on me, cancel me, silence me."

Come on lad, you're better than that.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 pm

Big Vinny K wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:58 pm
Ok one statistic I noticed is that 87% of the people sat round me last night were 94% happy with the way we played and 6% frustrated we didn’t win.
91% are happy to be patient and are liking how we are playing with a further 93% optimistic it will lead to wins eventually.
I’m only 37% sure that the above is factual
Can you come back on them findings IF at the business end of the season we are entrenched in midtable & our main rivals are doing better with playoff aspirations, of course entertaining football is an important factor in anybodys match day experience but ultimately you need to back that up with results not to just keep the fans onside the people above. performances & results are usually intrinsically integrated & often go side by side.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:41 pm

I've enjoyed the football so far.
there is a lot of potential. I like the possession-based style of play.
One thing I would emphasize is that the slow build up is as a result of the opposition taking up good position. We keep the ball and play it around with the intention of drawing them out. of course we could just punt it forward more in hope than expectation.
Have a bit of patience.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5519 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 pm

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:41 pm
I've enjoyed the football so far.
there is a lot of potential. I like the possession-based style of play.
One thing I would emphasize is that the slow build up is as a result of the opposition taking up good position. We keep the ball and play it around with the intention of drawing them out. of course we could just punt it forward more in hope than expectation.
Have a bit of patience.
With some of the pace we have, particularly on the wings, the occasional "percentage" ball into the space in front for them to run onto wouldn't go amiss.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:57 pm

What I did notice last night (and for Man City) is players don't get moved around anymore in the middle of the park against possession sides. They try to press and hunt it down while you pass it around the back, or follow their man around the area in defence
But in the middle they just keep the shape and block passing lanes.

When City first started this type of football they could drag the opposition players about all the shop.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:03 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:57 pm
What I did notice last night (and for Man City) is players don't get moved around anymore in the middle of the park against possession sides. They try to press and hunt it down while you pass it around the back, or follow their man around the area in defence
But in the middle they just keep the shape and block passing lanes.

When City first started this type of football they could drag the opposition players about all the shop.
They still can, but they make the pitch a hell of a lot bigger than we did last night. Apart from Maatsen on one side, and Vitinho in a slightly curious, static position high on the right, we didn't have anyone making the pitch wide, and barring a few attempts from Brownhill, we didn't make the pitch long by threatening in behind either. Without more players starting wide to make runs from out to in, and others starting inside and darting the outside, and/or players making runs behind Rodriguez, there'll be plenty more occasions when teams find it relatively easy block our passing lanes off.

A lot of that fluidity will come as players adapt to the system, but I suspect the system may need to be flexed a little bit as well to adapt it to the Championship.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:12 pm

Talking of stats, 745 passes must be some kind of record for us?

As for the style, I'm not overly concerned at this stage, mainly as we've got signings and injured players to come in who are going to improve us in the final third

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:55 pm
With some of the pace we have, particularly on the wings, the occasional "percentage" ball into the space in front for them to run onto wouldn't go amiss.
From what I've seen our crossing isn't great, Maatsen being the exception, but I get what you are saying.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:00 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:40 pm
That's not true you are saying that "any tactical approach is done with the aim of winning games" some managers purposely set out to draw games instead of losing & if a winner is nicked that's a bonus, we haven't yet (maybe never will do consistently) devised a system/formation to effectively win games despite the willingness to dictate possession being on the front foot & this no criticism or slight on VK & the team because he's tweaking things with new players & adapting accordingly. What I'm suggesting & in my mind rightly so that the possession needs to come secondary if the results are being compromised because of this meaning if it's more likely to get a result concede that possession & look at springing counters & using the fresh pace that's being introduced into the side instead of knocking it around & going nowhere with it.
For a start off, the bit about managers setting out to draw is a total red herring and a waste of typing. you know perfectly well that the gist of the post was that managers' tactical approach is with a view to getting the best results, and what you put is just a massive nitpick. No need.

More seriously, how do you know if results are being compromised by the tactics? We've played 4 games, W1 D2 L1. Is that bare detail enough to assess whether the system is working or whether it should be ditched for another one? Of course not. Does it give enough clues to get a good idea? No it doesn't.

So we look at statistics which let us know (empirically, rather than by eyeball judgement) whether our system is getting us into the right positions and whether there is promise of better results to come with this sort of performance. And (while I think eyeball judgements by professionals are still more use than possession and xg stats) these statistics bear out the hypothesis that we're on the right lines and better results will come if our performances stay the same.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:26 am

tiger76 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:06 pm
Madness isn't it, 4 games in, a new manager and team still gelling, and we've only lost at Watford unlucky, a team that were in the PL along with us last season.

Patience is required, did folks really think it would all come together in a few weeks, far more hopeful signs than gloomy ones.

And we have players to return notably Twine and Westwood, plus we'll likely add.

Jay buries that chance then some folks would be talking about us romping the league, better to be creating chances and missing them than not creating chances in the 1st place.
Guardiola won NOTHING in his first season at City, I wonder if City fans were moaning after 4 games ?

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:51 am

dsr wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:00 am
For a start off, the bit about managers setting out to draw is a total red herring and a waste of typing. you know perfectly well that the gist of the post was that managers' tactical approach is with a view to getting the best results, and what you put is just a massive nitpick. No need.

More seriously, how do you know if results are being compromised by the tactics? We've played 4 games, W1 D2 L1. Is that bare detail enough to assess whether the system is working or whether it should be ditched for another one? Of course not. Does it give enough clues to get a good idea? No it doesn't.

So we look at statistics which let us know (empirically, rather than by eyeball judgement) whether our system is getting us into the right positions and whether there is promise of better results to come with this sort of performance. And (while I think eyeball judgements by professionals are still more use than possession and xg stats) these statistics bear out the hypothesis that we're on the right lines and better results will come if our performances stay the same.
I don't know (IF) the results are being compromised by the tactics hence deliberately using the word IF :D regarding what I posted I was factually correct SOME managers NOT ALL do purposely set out to draw games & not set out to win every game for a variety of different reasons, a lower ranked team might be playing an heavyweight/giant & going gung-ho would be silly so the tactics would be camped in their half men behind the ball & just try to hold out without even thinking offensively. I only countered the other poster because he/she was factually incorrect by stating "any tactical approach is done with the aim of winning games" when that is clearly untrue, I suspect lot's of managers in the bottom half of the PL do play for draws when Man city & Liverpool come calling.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:26 am
Guardiola won NOTHING in his first season at City, I wonder if City fans were moaning after 4 games ?
My concern is that at the end of this season a few players who have learnt the new system will leave -- whether those on loan, or others to help pay off the debt. Thus we will have to start again next year teaching others how to play this way. Basically starting from scratch again.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am
My concern is that at the end of this season a few players who have learnt the new system will leave -- whether those on loan, or others to help pay off the debt. Thus we will have to start again next year teaching others how to play this way. Basically starting from scratch again.
Do you not believe the same would be true of any style, system and formation?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:44 am

taio wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:32 am
Do you not believe the same would be true of any style, system and formation?
But in previous seasons we never had to sell as many players as a necessity to service debts, so the turnover of playing staff wasn't as disruptive as it's likely to be going forward each year.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1009 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:46 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:17 am
I wouldn’t waste your time worrying about that as I can tell you now that 100% it is going to happen.
It will happen because this is football and players leave because their priority is not the style of football, the manager, kissing the badge and their love of the club etc etc…..it’s their contract.
This will happen whatever style of football we are playing. Just like under Dyche players left and new players came in and had to learn to play under often a different style of play and tactics they were used to.

But this is mitigated to a degree by the fact that whether it’s VK or Dyche they will look to sign players who they feel can adapt to the style or in some cases players who they know have already experience of playing in their style of play or similar.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:52 am

Spijed wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:44 am
But in previous seasons we never had to sell as many players as a necessity to service debts, so the turnover of playing staff wasn't as disruptive as it's likely to be going forward each year.
That's a fair point but it's not what you said.

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:11 am

Spijed, we all have to live in the 'now' and enjoy the ride. We can't worry about selling our best players. I could get continually upset about the way the club was sold and bang on and on about both the sellers and the leveraged buyout, but what's the point? It's a waste of energy, because it's something I have no control over. Win, lose or draw, enjoy the ride - after all it's what we pay for. Also, no matter what happens, the club will still here long after the knee-jerkers and new owners have long moved on.

dandeclaret
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:18 am

There also appears to be growing excitement about the new competition…. The pitch map trophy.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:23 am

dandeclaret wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:18 am
There also appears to be growing excitement about the new competition…. The pitch map trophy.
You’re still upset that Bardo and Lenno didn’t get another year aren’t you :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: MeeActon1 jen1066