Burnley v Hull - Player Ratings

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
fungus_the_bogeyman
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Re: Burnley v Hull - Player Ratings

Post by fungus_the_bogeyman » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:58 pm

Muric 6 - thought he could have done better with the goal. A couple of routine saves. Helped kick start some positive counter attacks with his distribution.
Roberts 6 - don’t think he moves it quick enough for the role he’s being asked to play. Ok going forward. Some mistakes defensively.
Maatsen 8 - a wonderful assist and our most potent offensive weapon again. Unfortunately we need more from others as teams can double up on him.
THB 9* - looks a real player.
Taylor 6 - still not convinced by him in this position. Again guilty of slowing our play down. Relatively untroubled but always looks like there’s a mistake likely to happen. Miss his crossing ability in the final third.
Cullen 7 - looks a really tidy player. Outstanding pass to carve them open for the goal.
Cork 6 - I’m a massive Cork fan but I thought he was a bit wasteful today.
Bastien 6 - I think it’s a stamina issue with him at the moment. Started really brightly but faded. I’m really sure there’s a player in there and he’ll turn out to be one of our better signings once he beds in and gets up to speed. Might be worthwhile bringing him on from the bench on Saturday.
Brownhill 7 - put in a real shift. He’s always lively and always around it but not convinced he’s exactly what we need from that role. Our most advanced midfielder but he’s not and never will be a regular goalscorer which is what we need from a 10. Get him off free kicks!!!
Vitinho 5 - quiet. One decent cross aside, didn’t offer any real threat when he did have the ball and didn’t engage his full back like he has done from the bench in recent weeks.
Jay 7 - looked a threat. Some great touches. Gives us far more than Barnes does right now.

Tella 6 - some good touches and looks to have real pace. It was frustrating how much he seemed to bog himself down in the mire in front of their goal. It neutralised his threat. Would have preferred him to use that pace and flair out wide.
Benson 4 - yikes! A bit of a stinker, if I’m honest. But some of the comments I’ve seen elsewhere have been ridiculous. Needs our support and time to bed in.

Superjohnnyfrancis
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 313 times

Post by Superjohnnyfrancis » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 am

Muric 6 going to give someone a heart attack

Taylor 6
THB 7
Roberts 5
Maatsen 8

Cullen 7
Cork 6
Brownhill 6
Bastien 5

Jay Rod 6
Benson 5

Need to mix up this pass pass pass stuff a lot more somewhere between this style and Dyche ball. We really need through balls and more direct play sometimes, almost no crosses going in from wide positions that needs to change. Get the bloody ball crossed in first time like James did for Chelsea against spurs.

Benson will be cutting hedges for a living if he’s not careful looks a sandwich short of a picnic tbh. That non shot was hilarious in the second half lost his bearings completely.

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am

Once again, dozing off at the back cost us. We desperately need a dominant CB. Taylor looks lost in that position.

740 odd passes
77% possession
15 shots

Shows we controlled the game, but we need to take more risks on occasions. Think we will vastly improve when we get a few of the missing players back plus some much needed new signings for the top end of the pitch

Muric 6 - One good save, not much else to do
Roberts 6 - He's starting to frustrate me, where are his Wales performances?
Harwood-Bellis 8 - Looked class tonight
Taylor 5 - Slow, cost us for the goal, looks a bit disinterested (if we get a decent offer I think we should cash in)
Maatsen 7 - Solid, good assist.
Cork 7 - Again safe and tidy
Cullen 8 - Thought he looked very good tonight
Brownhill 6 - Not one of his better days. He looks a bit lost in that position where we need to unlock deep defences
Bastien 6- did ok, but nothing really major
Vitinho 5 - Hardly had a kick, should have done better with his chance
Rodriguez 7 - Good return from Jay, suits this system better than Ashley

Benson 5 - He made some decent runs and on another day could have bagged a couple. Worried about his end product
Tella 7 - Looked lively to me when he came on

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 am

Muric 6
Roberts 5
Harwood-Bellis 6
Taylor 5
Maatsen 7
Cork 8
Cullen 6
Brownhill 6
Bastien 6
Vitinho 5
Rodriguez 7

Benson 4
Tella 5

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 am

Muric 7 - his distribution is great, will need a strong constitution, but he’s crucial to the system.
Roberts 5 - I’m just not having him. He slows everything down and nearly cost us a goal. Not a great defender or attacker.
Harwood-Bellis 8* very impressive again
Taylor 6 - ok but it isn’t his position
Maatsen 7 - appears to be the main man for our team and, as good as he was for the goal, teams work this out and he disappears a bit
Cork 7 - industrious as ever
Cullen 7 - sometimes dwells on the ball a bit too much but lovely sweeping ball for the goal
Brownhill 6 - frustrating one tonight. Set pieces are still generally poor.
Bastien 5 - I’m not sure what he’s bringing to the party. Looks uncomfortable further forward.
Vitinho 5 - fits and starts but he was constantly demanding the ball and wasn’t giving it as we were just going to Maatsen time and time again
Rodriguez 7 - good finish, good movement, far better option than Barnes

Benson 5 - lots to learn but not as bad as some of the dramatists on here will have you think
Tella 6 - thought it was a decent cameo, and he tried to make things happen

Another frustrating one. We use Maatsen too much and teams cotton on to that. There are the fundamentals of a very good team here. Twine is a huge miss and I really do think he’ll take us on to the next level (with a forward of course). But we created chances, which is a big plus / just need to keep that tempo up which dropped a little too much tonight. Work in progress but reasons to be cheerful (part 3)

jmu1
Been Liked: 8 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by jmu1 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:20 am

Muric 7
Roberts 6
Taylor 6
THB 8
Maatsen 7
Cullen 7
Cork 6
Vitinho 6
Brownhill 7
Bastion 6
JayRod 7

Benson 6
Tella 7

At stages looked good, often looked like a work in progress and ran out of ideas/belief

the_magic_rat
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by the_magic_rat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:33 am

Muric 7

Roberts 6
Harwood-Bellis 8
Taylor 6
Maatsen 7

Vitinho 6
Brownhill 6
Cork 6
Cullen 8
Bastien 6

Rodriguez 8

Tella 7
Benson 7

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:42 am

Muric 7 - a couple of hairy moments but got us out of trouble more than into it. Failed to save the one great chance they had.
Roberts 5 - I’m struggling to see when Kompany uses his full backs like he does why Connor is less of a threat than under Dyche or Jackson?
Harwood Bellis 8 - outstanding game, saved us several times, that high line and aggressive fullbacks means teams will get at us, like Hull, and he handled that well
Taylor 5 - started bad, got a bit better, but looks a fish out of water
Maatsen 8 - the only real threat, I know he wasn’t, we somehow had over a dozen efforts, but he seemed like he was. Really good.
Cullen 5 - Hasn’t kicked on from Huddersfield, I suspect opponents are targeting him, fairly tidy but not game changing
Cork 6 - also crowded out but did ok
Brownhill 6 - less effective than recently but still had a chance or two, not easy playing a narrow 5-4-1
Bastien 5 - seemed crowded out and fairly ineffective.
Vitinho 6 - really keen, ran at them, but didn’t get much joy today
Rodriguez 7 - really good from Jay, big improvement on Ash, movement, finishing and link up play

Benson 6 - some tidy dribbling but end product was rushed and overhit. When we compare to McNeil there isn’t the same dribbling process matched with calm, sublime crossing - and as we know even Dwight struggled to get goals and assists
Tella 7 - really like this lad, some incisive attacks and good dribbles, I expect a lot over the season

It was an OK performance but I felt the team was wrong, with four “standard” midfielders and only two strikers or wingers. This played into their narrow hands with their 5-4-1 which became a 6-3-1 at times. I just don’t think Bastien and Brownhill have the end product, I like Brownhill but maybe he should be in Jack’s spot pushing forward.

leelad
Been Liked: 72 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by leelad » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:44 am

Muric 7

Roberts 6
Harwood Bellis 8
Taylor 6
Maatsen 7

Vitinho 6
Brownhill 7
Cork 6
Cullen 7
Bastien 6

Rodriguez 7

Tella 6
Benson 7

Definitely potential in this team, need to mix up our play more. Don't be afraid of playing direct along with trying to pass ourselves through teams. Our goal was a good example of being direct, breaking the opposition lines and a fine finish. Sometimes we are looking for that extra pass or touch, and it's not needed. Two strikers required, one with experience of the Championship and an experienced CB to partner Taylor H-B.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 397 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 am

p.s. just to add to my post (can’t edit) if this was Dyche playing Arfield and Boyd in front of two sitting midfielders, a bit narrower than those two played, he’d have been panned. We need more flair playing in those positions and we had it, but it was on the bench in Teller and Benson.

maidenover
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 86 times

Post by maidenover » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:02 am

Muric 6
Roberts 5
Harwood-Bellis 8*
Taylor 6
Maatsen 7
Cork 7
Cullen 7
Brownhill 6
Bastien 5
Vitinho 5
Rodriguez 7

Benson 4
Tella 7

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:34 am

Muric 6

Roberts 5
THB 8
Taylor 7
Maatsen 7

Cork 6
Cullen 7
Bastien 4
Brownhill 6
Vitinho 4

Rodriguez 7

Tella 5
Benson 5

strayclaret
Been Liked: 76 times
Has Liked: 90 times

Post by strayclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:07 am

Muric 6
Roberts 5
Harwood-Bellis 8
Taylor 6
Maatsen 7
Cork 8
Cullen 6
Brownhill 6
Bastien 6
Vitinho 5
Rodriguez 7

Benson 4
Tella 6
Frustrating, Frustrating, Frustrating.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 am

Ive no doubt were moving in the right direction and appreciate we need to be patient. To dominate a match possession wise (77%) and only come out with a draw is concerning. I still think we're 3 players short of being really competitive at the top end of this division. We need more physicality in the spine and another defensive midfielder. If we're not careful we'll get bullied in this division.

Muric 7-His best game thus far.
Roberts 5-You cant fault his work rate but the end product seems missing.
Harwood-Bellis 8*-He had a really good game and looked a class act.
Taylor 5-i'm far from convince with CT at CB.
Maatsen 6-He had a good first half and made a good assist but was on the edge of things for most of the second half.
Cork 7-Thought he was too often caught in two minds and a little hesitant but he'd always be my first name on the team sheet.
Cullen 7-Industrious and he can pick the killer ball. Hop he can do it a little more often.
Brownhill 6-Put a shift in as always but I don't think he's being utilised to give balance to the team.
Bastien 5-There's a player in there but he looks a little lightweight.
Vitinho 4-The lads got to be given time but I thought he was poor.
Rodriguez 7-Took goal well and had good first half but he tired and I was surprised he wasn't subbed earlier.

Benson 4-offered very little.
Tella 5-As above

Hurstwood_Claret
Been Liked: 53 times
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Hurstwood_Claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:48 am

Muric 6
Roberts 5
Harwood-Bellis 8*
Taylor - 1st half, looked poor 3. Second half, average 5
Maatsen 7
Cork 6
Cullen 6
Brownhill 6
Bastien 6
Vitinho 5, looked a bit light. Bullied off the ball easily
Rodriguez 7

Benson 5
Tella 6

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:22 am

Muric 6 - aside from another couple of poor passes, generally good and quick distribution. Made a couple of very routine saves. Again, not sure he stood a chance with their goal.

Roberts 6 - he's playing a key role in allowing us to have so much possession, but too often he doesn't use the ball well enough from his position, it's always the safe pass back inside.

Harwood-Bellis 8 - a top performance from him. Some excellent defensive work, not least his outstanding interception to stop a massive Hull break, and some super distribution into the forwards.

Taylor 5 - did alright at CB at first, but it's becoming more and more obvious he isn't one. Again, caught out of position for their goal, and his distribution is far too slow and laboured.

Maatsen 7 - flashed a super ball across the box in the first 10 mins, and then a super assist for Jay's goal. Some good defensive work as well when needed. Too often, we can't get the ball over to him though with any regularity.

Cork 7 - read the game brilliantly all night and as a result won the ball back a lot. Another whose distribution was too slow and ponderous.

Cullen 7 - what an absolutely outstanding ball to Maatsen for our goal. He and Cork are key to us winning the ball brilliantly, and recycling the ball when we do.

Vitinho 5 - not great I'm afraid.

Brownhill 6 - not as good as in previous games, but he had even less space to work within tonight. Set pieces not working.

Bastien 5 - there's a player in there, and a really intelligent one as well. Did some good work into getting into excellent positions, but far too often his control and distribution let him down, and too often was too passive when the opportunity to press and win the ball was there.

Rodriguez 7 - we were so much better in the forward area with Jay playing. Got his goal and made some good runs short and in behind.

Benson 4 - not ready to play at this level. Way off it.

Tella 6 - some promising signs. I'd like to see him play on the right, holding the width with instruction to take on defenders more routinely than we currently do.

There are some brilliant signs here, not least the way we swarm all over the opposition when they have the ball and never let them set. We won the ball back so much against a less than composed Hull side who just wanted to play on the break all night (it worked for them, though).

At the moment I think we're suffering from having too much possession. We spend so long with the ball that by the time we reach their box, they often have 8 or 9 men in defensive positions completely set. We could do with letting them play around with the ball a little bit in their half and then, with some very specific pressing triggers, get after them when they're spread out.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:11 am

Muric 6
Roberts 5
Harwood-Bellis 8*
Taylor 5
Maatsen 8
Cork 7
Cullen 7
Brownhill 6
Bastien 5
Vitinho 5
Rodriguez 7

Benson 5
Tella 5

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:21 am

Muric - 6 - generally OK but I a couple of over confident kicks once again played us into trouble, and I thought he should have done better with the goal - it might not have made a difference but there was an opportunity to narrow the angle and force the attacker to go cross goal, and he did neither.

Roberts - 5 - difficult night, struggled a bit with the physicality of Hull's front 3 and his passing, other than one lovely flick to set up Vitinhio, was a little laboured.

Maatsen - 8 - for 70 minutes I thought he was head and shoulders our best player - defensively I have one or two doubts and he used his pace to get himself (as well as others) out of trouble on occasions, but going forward he was a constant outlet (and was available more than we used him had we moved the ball more quicky).

Harwood-Bellis - 7 - composed and generally dealt with Hull's forwards pretty well and covered others well when necessary, and he's going to be a good one. He did lose a few too many aerial duels in the first half though, including for the goal when he had no realistic chance of winning the ball and got taken out of the game as a result. He and Taylor were both guilty of stepping up when the other dropped and vice versa too often and Hull exploited the resulting dog-legs in our back line. His possession play was nice but I'd like to see him be a bit more ambitious - several times he had the chance to switch the ball to Maatsen in acres of space and elected to play into midfield instead, which allowed Hull to re-set.

Taylor - 4 -A bit of a horror show unfortunately. Too often he was caught out of position and thinking like a full back rather than a centre half - the goal is to some extent one example, but there were plenty of others. I thought that was a bigger problem than his passing, although I'd have liked to see him move the ball quicker and switch the play more expansively at times to make the pitch big - but in fairness, there weren't the same opportunities for a left-to-right pass as for a right-to-left switch because neither Benson nor Vitinho provided a suitable target.

Cullen - 7 - a couple of lovely incisive passes to open up chances - most obviously for the goal - and very neat and tidy for the most part, but again we probably needed him to add more tempo to our passing.

Cork - 7 - Oozed class and know how and generally made us tick.

Bastien - 5 - not really involved - and not for the first time. he just doesn't look comfortable in that position. I'm sure Kompany wants to play him because it's the only way to speed his adaptation to English football but at the moment that's not patricularly helpful to us in geting results. There's a player in there and his weight of pass is generally nice, but he gave the ball away quite a bit last night, largely when he had his back to goal.

Brownhill - 7 - industrious and did OK, but again I think he's better facing the game than with his back to goal, and he should have done better when he found himself one on one at the angle in the second half.

Vitinho - 5 - flatted to deceive for long periods, and should have scored when freed by Roberts. I can understand the thinking of playing him wide right, but it's pretty obvious he's a full back - he just didn't make the sorts of runs you'd want a winger to make, particularly in this system.

Rodriguez - 8 - For the first hour, his link play was spectacularly good and he added a dimension that has been missing for the opening 3 games. Took his goal well, a bit unlucky with a second half chance when he was stretching after a gorgeous first touch, and made chances for others. Perhaps a bit selfish a couple of times but that's not a bad thing in a striker.

Tella - 6 - Still finding his way in, but plenty to suggest he's going to be one of the missing ingredients in this team - he's got the pace to stretch teams behind, and the touch to operate in the tighter spaces. Promising.

Benson - 5 - Rarely gave the ball away, but rarely threatened to unlock Hull either, and he looks a bit powerpuff on occasions.

Barnes - not on long enough but the difference between him and Rodriguez was obvious.

A frustrating night, but we have to bear in mind a few things - the fact the team is so new, the fact so many of them are adapting to the Championship/English football, and the fact we're playing decent teams. Perhaps I'll revise this opinion in a few months when I've seen more Championship football, but Hull looked to me to be a pretty decent outfit at this level - well organised back line, 3 very powerful, athletic forwards who were well suited to hitting us on the break.

The good news is that I do think we're getting better - the stats for last night were good, and I thought we actually created more clear openings than against Watford or Huddersfield, or indeed Luton (although I missed that game), even if they weren't gilt-edged other than the goal. I do think there's still a question mark over whether this formation is getting the best out of certain players and at some point I think Kompany may have to compromise a little - being regularly 3 v 3 on the counterattack on half way isn't something with a future if you want to get results in this league, and the 3 behind the striker clearly need work.

Two particular points - I don't completely understand the wide forward role in Kompany's set up. Particularly with Jay dropping deep to link play, at times we had 4 central midfielders, and Rodriguez, all inside the centre circle, and Vitinho staying high and wide. What we needed was someone making out-to-in runs in behind the back four, with Brownhill and Bastien pulling wider to compensate, make the pitch big and make angles to move Hull's defenders around. Tella might do that job in time, and so might Benson, but as of yet we've seen very little of it. Vitinho tried a few times but it's obviously not natural to him.

Secondly, when we did make the pitch big - usually via Maatsen but occasionally via the wide players - we obviously didn't move the ball quickly enough. The centre backs in particular need to be willing to put a raking cross field pass in of the sort Tarkowski used to do, and which Marney often did for Trippier when he was in the sort of acres Maatsen was in last night. It may be that THB isn't confident in that skill, but I'd like to see him try, and I'd also like to see Cullen demonstrate it's in his skill set - he didn't do it once last night.

Jambo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 240 times

Post by Jambo » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:39 am

Muric 6 - One dodgy pass, but Taylor put him under pressure a few times and he handled it well. Considering how well he sweeps up I was surprised he stayed at home for the goal, but you expect a player to score if they run through unchallenged one on one
Roberts 6 - Slow at times on the ball but mopped up well a few times and created a great chance for Vitinho with one of our best moments
Harwood-Bellis 8 - A class above on the ball, but caught out for their goal. Want to see him carry the ball out even more
Taylor 5 - Out of position for the goal (never said that about Taylor before!!!!) and doesn't do enough with the ball to work in this role
Maatsen 7 - Clearly our main creative threat and did great for the goal but seems to be getting a pass for some similarly dodgy defensive moments to Roberts - a bit lucky he didn't slice that corner into his own net tbh
Cork 6 - Helps to give us control but felt we could have dropped Brownhill in there to add an extra forward in the last 15 or so
Cullen 7 - A few lovely passes, especially for the goal, but more than a few underhit ones, and too often marked out of the game
Brownhill 5 - Really poor first half, better second, wasted one of our clearest chances but set up Jay so a mixed bag really
Bastien 4 - Not sure what he's bringing to the party in that attacking role bar energy, movement isn't anything like enough
Vitinho 5 - The latest guy to start wide right and offer little, had to bury the chance Roberts created but a tame finish
Rodriguez 7 - Hard to mark as had three great chances and only scored one, but build up and movement was a million times better than Barnes

Benson 4 - End product really bad, but there's a player in there
Tella 5 - Started well, faded fast. Probably worth a start on the right given nobody else has nailed that spot yet

Trust the process etc etc but we seem vulnerable to conceding very soft goals and it's too slow too often. The first half was largely boring to watch. But we created more than probably any game this season and if we take even half our chances we win that game comfortably, so can't moan too much.

I thought the double change was positive, getting an extra attacker on, but VK could have been even more aggressive and played Barnes up top with Jay at the end. We can't be afraid to mix it up and be more direct at times as otherwise it will be too predictable for teams facing us.

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:21 pm

Muric 7 good allround game
Roberts 6 good in bits
THB 8 a young Bobby Moore.
Taylor 6 not a cb, we need a bigger, stronger left sided cb
Maatsen 7 very good player, though didnt get forward as much later in the game
Vithinho 6 good first 30 mins then faded
Cork 7 steady away
Cullen 7 better when he gets further forward
Brownhill 6 got into good positions but not always an end product
Bastien 6 in and out of game
Rodriguez 7 good striker's performance, much better then Barnes as a starter.

Benson 6
Tella 6
I'm concerned that we have too many similar players: Bastien, Benson, Vithinho, Tella
We need at least one, hopefully two good Championship strikers plus a
taller, athletic centre back. What is McNally like?

PhiladelphiaChris
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 463 times

Post by PhiladelphiaChris » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:50 pm

Muric 7
Roberts 6
Harwood-Bellis 8
Taylor 6
Maatsen 7
Cork 7
Cullen 7