Square pegs, round holes…

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Square pegs, round holes…

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:18 pm

By no means is this a slag the manager off thread, more of a critique of some of the decisions that we’ve seen so far…

I just feel like Kompany is over thinking things a bit right now - which is understandable; new squad with massive turnover and he’s trying to figure out his best XI & system tweaks with who he’s got available.

That being said, think some decisions are a bit off and are effecting the team, for example:

- Playing Vitinho, a guy who made 75 apps at right back in the Belgian league, and has him playing further forward on the wing.

- Got Roberts playing infield role he isn’t capable of and shunning Lowton for no real reason (he’d be more suited to this RCB role)

- Signed Bastien, a deep lying technical midfielder that isn’t particularly explosive playing further forward to

- Playing Brownhill at 10 when he’s an all energy box to box midfielder with no real invention.

- Charlie Taylor at CB, never played there in his life bar the odd friendly under Dyche.

Just slightly concerned that Kompany is trying to shoenhorn players into his preferred formation, rather than devising a formation that will allow our best players to thrive in their best positions.

I however will give huge plaudits for transforming us in such a short space of time - I do think it will come good for us but hoping it comes sooner rather than later!

UTC
These 2 users liked this post: BurnleyFC Stevie Morgan

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Re: Square pegs, round holes…

Post by BurnleyFC » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:24 pm

I think Taylor has done well at centre half, but he was caught out positionally tonight.

Pretty difficult to argue with the rest of it, though.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:29 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:24 pm
I think Taylor has done well at centre half, but he was caught out positionally tonight.

Pretty difficult to argue with the rest of it, though.
I do agree until it comes to the set piece aspect & also when there’s space to drive into in the middle of the field, just doesn’t look natural for him.

There was a point towards the end of the game today where Chaz found himself on the left hand side and whipped in a few crosses from the touch line - looked more comfortable there

Boxy
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Boxy » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:29 pm

Think a lot of it is due to the players available. Twine probably goes in Brownhills role. We are after a CB to take taylors.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:35 pm

Roberts is only playing 'inside' because our best player is playing on the other side to him. and he gets forward a lot.

In time, Bastien is going to be the best all round midfielder we have.

Yes Vitinho is a wing back, if I've ever seen one, which we sort of play with wing backs anyway, and you said Roberts plays inside, so .......

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:35 pm

they are all square pegs in round holes at the moment, including VK.
Virtually a brand new squad in a new division, and a manager still adapting to the pressures.
I would defy any coach out there to provide a winning team in the time he has had.
The players barely know each other, the system has changed radically. After the fast paced onslaught against hudds, we have managed to dominate a couple of games,but now the test is to see we can win.
I like Barnes, and dont like the sneaky campaign to ridicule him.
He and Jay have lengthy records at this level.
It will probably take a few months to sort itself out.We wont win the league, be lucky with mid table.
Thats the reality of our club.Pope has gone,he was our saviour at the highest level possible.
Time will tell whether the new regime sees fit to bring in new striker, but for now this lot have to find a way to blend into a decent unit.
Who konows, we could end up in a play off final with sheff utd after13 years.
Its all very entertaining and interesting though . UTC.

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:37 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:18 pm
By no means is this a slag the manager off thread, more of a critique of some of the decisions that we’ve seen so far…

I just feel like Kompany is over thinking things a bit right now - which is understandable; new squad with massive turnover and he’s trying to figure out his best XI & system tweaks with who he’s got available.

That being said, think some decisions are a bit off and are effecting the team, for example:

- Playing Vitinho, a guy who made 75 apps at right back in the Belgian league, and has him playing further forward on the wing.

- Got Roberts playing infield role he isn’t capable of and shunning Lowton for no real reason (he’d be more suited to this RCB role)

- Signed Bastien, a deep lying technical midfielder that isn’t particularly explosive playing further forward to

- Playing Brownhill at 10 when he’s an all energy box to box midfielder with no real invention.

- Charlie Taylor at CB, never played there in his life bar the odd friendly under Dyche.

Just slightly concerned that Kompany is trying to shoenhorn players into his preferred formation, rather than devising a formation that will allow our best players to thrive in their best positions.

I however will give huge plaudits for transforming us in such a short space of time - I do think it will come good for us but hoping it comes sooner rather than later!

UTC
Agree with all of this, particularly Brownhill and Roberts.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:39 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:35 pm
Roberts is only playing 'inside' because our best player is playing on the other side to him. and he gets forward a lot.

In time, Bastien is going to be the best all round midfielder we have.

Yes Vitinho is a wing back, if I've ever seen one, which we sort of play with wing backs anyway, and you said Roberts plays inside, so .......
Vitinho didn’t play as a wing back then it was out and out winger (we have an asymmetrical formation)

Roberts shouldn’t be put in this new role imo, just doesn’t fit his game what so ever; not dominant defensively and tends to slow play down way too much in possession

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:38 am

Roberts arguably created our best chance to win in the second half with a lovely bit of skill and laid it on a plate for Vitinho who should have ripped the net out of the ground. Still learning..... Both Viti and Roberts are good players.

wbfc
Been Liked: 108 times

Post by wbfc » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:06 am

I am not convinced that getting rid of £15-20 million players and replacing them with £2 million footballers and loan players will often work..

My main concern is the money raised from the firesale has gone to pay down the debt ..if not then i fear bad times ahead...

Given that Matsen and TBH are loan players i think there has just been a paper overing of cracks

only cullen of the buys looks to me to be ready for the championship of the new boys

i think a good start so far ...picking up points ...and the football is better

expectations will be the killer for most fans...i think mid table beckons

but for lots winning against blackpool will have some saying going to be champions

no strikers no experienced centre half it would be a remarkable achievent to get promoted with the current squad ..

fingers crossed they do

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:45 am

My take from last night from the Bob Lord stand

Charlie is definitely not a Centre Half. Caught out of possession and very slow when in possession with the ball. He slowed the play down too much last night and even though on most occasions he had loads of space in front of him which he could have ran into he just mainly knocked it sideways.
Roberts im not sure what is role is but at home if we are going to score more goals then I would probably play Vitinho there and attack like we do with IM on the other side
Benson some might disagree here but I thought he was better than Vitinho. Benson was at least coming inside and looking for the ball and touched it more in 10 mins than Vitinho did all game. Yes his final ball was poor but I thought he look ok.
Everything else looks pretty good to me and will just take time
What we are missing is height and strength. A big 6.4 central defender wouldn’t go amiss. Someone who can cause trouble in their box as I cannot see us scoring form a free kick or corner all season.

davideyresleftear
Been Liked: 207 times
Has Liked: 15 times

Post by davideyresleftear » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:01 am

He's trying stuff out, which is normal 4 games into a season after a complete squad overhaul. I'm sure many of the things that you listed will also be jotted down in Kompany's notebook now that he's tried them. It'll take time to fine tune the system, but signs are there that we'll blow more than a few teams away this season.

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:04 am

pushpinpussy wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:45 am
A big 6.4 central defender wouldn’t go amiss. Someone who can cause trouble in their box as I cannot see us scoring form a free kick or corner all season.

Like McNally or Thomas?