Encouraging Signs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Encouraging Signs

Post by Flying Without Ings » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 am

Despite the last 2 or 3 results which we perhaps thought we would have achieved better after Huddersfield, there's clearly a lot to be encouraged about. It's a team full of talented players but most of them are new and adjusting. It'll click eventually, and with the help of a couple more incomings I'm absolutely sure we'll be up in the top 6 region. Rather than jumping on the first poor performance of a player or finding a new scapegoat, why not encompass some patience?
These 16 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret bobinho gukwonan dsr RVclaret CaptJohn tiger76 whiffa depechedingle bfcjg Ampth7 louieollie Billy Balfour KateR Leepick21 HandforthClaret

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Encouraging Signs

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:02 am

agree 100%

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:04 am

Flying Without Ings wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 am
Despite the last 2 or 3 results which we perhaps thought we would have achieved better after Huddersfield, there's clearly a lot to be encouraged about. It's a team full of talented players but most of them are new and adjusting. It'll click eventually, and with the help of a couple more incomings I'm absolutely sure we'll be up in the top 6 region. Rather than jumping on the first poor performance of a player or finding a new scapegoat, why not encompass some patience?
More like it. I've been away since Hudders match, missed the Luton match as flying, but we have absolutely battered Watford and Hull, it is coming, strap in, someone is going to get annhilated. Hoping it's Lashers.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 am

Sorry I don't. We are too pedestrian. Not even as exciting as EH times when at least we scored some goals

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:07 am

Absolutely. So much to get a hold of and be encouraged by.

Patience, and with one or two more astute signings, we are right in the mix here, which is by far more than we could have hoped for considering the changes we have gone thru.

Either that, or would folk rather be happy with going back to defending 0-1 so it doesn’t become 0-2?

Embrace this. It’s SOOOOOOO refreshing.
These 4 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret alancal1973 tiger76 louieollie

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 am

mdd2 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:05 am
Sorry I don't. We are too pedestrian. Not even as exciting as EH times when at least we scored some goals
What do you expect from a team full of new players, and for the existing players a completely new way of playing? We're 4 games in...how can you even compare at this stage?

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 am

mdd2 wrote:
Pedestrian?

Wow. Just wow.

We move the ball around very quickly and very tightly and when we lose it we go hunting for it back. And you call us pedestrian?
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 am

People need to realise that we are still going to probably get Churlinov, Twine and a Striker added to this team, which should give us much more firepower. Twine is renowned for his goals from distance, he will be a valuable weapon mark my words.
These 3 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret alancal1973 tiger76

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:10 am

mdd2 wrote:
Turn it in FFS.
These 2 users liked this post: louieollie Billy Balfour

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:11 am

Twine will go nuts in this team. I know it is a step up, but he will score for fun.
This user liked this post: BobbyBoucher

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:12 am

Agree it is early doors but one win in four when the stats show us having more shots on target, more shots and about 70% possession. Lost to Watford who had one shot on target. When we moved the ball quickly forwards with about four passes we equalised. When we revert to EH tactics playing out from the back across the pitch getting nowhere we create very little hence the stats IMO

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:15 am

A fair few if these lads playing are squad players, fillers to inect pace off the bench late on, Bastien, Vitinho, Benson are all gonna be warming the bench when we get Twine fit, Churlinov in, add to that hopefully a centre half, creative midfielder and striker. That's 5 players which will turn this side around and just give us that added extra needed to turn these games into wins and really make the most of our possession

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:22 am

bobinho wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:09 am
Pedestrian?

Wow. Just wow.

We move the ball around very quickly and very tightly and when we lose it we go hunting for it back. And you call us pedestrian?
I do
Spend too much time playing it too slowly from the back allowing the opposition to flood the middle two thirds of the pitch and strangle us which is why the stats show lots of possession but little end product-time will tell
By pedestrian I mean
to be drab or dull, as if plodding along rather than speeding.
When we did speed it up we scored as they did
Anyway time will tell but Luton Watford and Hull didn't give us the space Huddersfield did and it slowed us down IMO

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:15 am

Flying Without Ings wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:00 am
Great post!

Also very encouraged by what I’m seeing and excited / intrigued for more.

As soon as the final whistle went I was already buzzing for Saturday!

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:19 am

RVclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:15 am
Great post!

Also very encouraged by what I’m seeing and excited / intrigued for more.

As soon as the final whistle went I was already buzzing for Saturday!
I wasn't, but then that was because I cant go due to a wedding invitation
Expect i will miss a cracker of a game

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:46 am

I'm reminded a little bit of when Leicester were rooted down at the bottom of the table, not long before that infamous game at Turf Moor and Pearson was saying it's incredible they were in that position given their performances (or something to that effect). I wasn't paying much attention to Leicester and the way they played, dismissed Pearson's statement as almost delusional (more fool me).

Then the rocket pack was strapped to that team's back and off they went.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:51 am

I'm 50/50 to be honest at the minute. I think I like the new style, even the keeper fannying around with it. Young players, a way of playing, lots of possession.

But then occasionally, for a few minutes last night, I thought is this an Emperors new clothes type situation, because I'm actually a bit bored. Plenty of time to found out which it is yet.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:12 am

Players still getting used to it which is understandable.

Far too many times last night they played the slow backwards or across pass when if they’d have taken a split second to look then there was a far better option available.

Hopefully that’ll come, the Huddersfield game massively increased all our expectations

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:22 am

The late, great Colin Bell once said that when a new signing joins the team, it can take up to 15-20 games for him to totally blend into the team and become totally familiar with how they play…that’s one player.
Give it time…then good things will happen. Absolutely pointless jumping on a player’s back after so few games.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:34 am

The one problem with players taking time to get used to a new system is that by the time they do then this season might be written off.

Come the summer, then one or two may be sold or moved on for a small profit if they play well (due to our business model) and we have to start again with a new set of recruits.

And they take time next season to get used to the new system.

We never actually see the playing style come to fruition as we are always waiting for new players to bed in.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:36 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:34 am
The one problem with players taking time to get used to a new system is that by the time they do then this season might be written off.

Come the summer, then one or two may be sold or moved on for a small profit if they play well (due to our business model) and we have to start again with a new set of recruits.

We never actually see the playing style come to fruition as we are always waiting for new players to bed in.
It’s a fair comment and with three loan players (arguably in our strongest eleven). One or two player sales suddenly becomes 5 new starting eleven players required.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:48 am

Spijed wrote:

So what’s the alternative?

Are you suggesting that it’s unreasonable for players to get used to the new system? Perhaps Kompany should have stuck with the old system? If he did, would it not take new players time to get used to it anyway and weren’t a lot of our fans bored of that system? Or maybe we should have stuck with the old players and the old system? If we did that, how would it solve the issues we were having with an ageing squad and our debt?

Have some ******* patience. It’s been FOUR games. We’ve taken on an entirely new coaching staff, signed 12 players and also begun to blood a member of the youth team. Despite that, the signs are there that we’re headed in the right direction. They’ve gelled quickly in some respects.
This user liked this post: tiger76

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:49 am

Spijed wrote:

Kompany said in his pre match presser that the aim is to be in and around the play offs when the World Cup break happens, which will then give a month together on the training pitch to really get the system engrained into the squad. He commented that we don’t have 2-3 years for them to grasp it and it’s more 2-3 months.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:53 am

I am loving the style of football, and I think the frustration from us Burnley fans is we are not used to having so much possession, and in turn fell we should be putting the opposition team to the sword. It isn't going to happen as such an early stage of group mentality , and I think you could see last night, teams will set up to defend against us by filling the midfield with bodies knowing we do not posses great height in attack so we have to work through the middle, or low cross in the box like we did last night. However, it will click and someone is going to be on the end of an absolute pasting. UTC
This user liked this post: louieollie

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:03 am

When we used to sign players on loan with the purpose of them being back up rather than starters it was criticised and were often told we need to make better use of the loan market like all other clubs do.

Now we had 2 loan signings starting last night it is seemed as a negative, it is almost like people search for a whinge.

Fans are going to have to have some patience rather than knee jerk reactions when we don't win. We heard all last season how this is going to be a huge re-building job bordering almost impossible to do, yet when we don't win a game in the very early stages of this re-build we head towards a meltdown.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies tiger76 louieollie

beddie
Been Liked: 1383 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:05 am

Excellent in possession again just lacked that final ball. It’s encouraging though to see us dominate so much. It’s virtually a whole new team so patience will be required by everyone. It’ll come I’m sure. Harwood -Bellis was outstanding.
This user liked this post: RVclaret

Belgianclaret
Been Liked: 932 times
Has Liked: 165 times

Post by Belgianclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:08 am

Anyone who's disappointed with our style of play must dislike football.

The whole team has basically been rebuilt in a few months (still a work in process) and a whole new attracting style has been introduced.

We created plenty of chances yesterday to kill them off, and they produced nothing but a lucky goal stemming from a blind clearance and a misunderstanding between our 2 centre backs.

I'm loving the entertainment and the style, even though we are sometimes one on one at the back during quick counters. I still think a quicker and stronger CM player next to Cullen is required to complete our midfield.

I was critical for Benson, as I think he needs to do better with his end product. He'll get there eventually but this may indeed take some time. Tella looks a real prospect though.

Onwards & upwards
This user liked this post: louieollie

BobbyBoucher
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by BobbyBoucher » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:35 am

mdd2 wrote:
Honestly I could watch football like that all night. I was a massive Dyche fan and will always be grateful for everything he did for the club, but the way Kompany has got us playing in such a short space of time is brilliant. I think we are two players away from being on a different level to every other team in the championship and best of all I believe we already have one of those players in Twine.
Ive been watching the clarets since 85 and feel really relaxed about how we are passing the ball about. Even Muric doesnt give me the jeepers , the constant instant playing the ball back into play is really refreshing.
The goals will come, and I think we will see very diffent games if we go in front. These sides will then have to open up a little as clearly sides are setting up to frustrate at the moment. I would like to think that Kompany is giving a bit of grief to the officials as well, as teams are setting out to disrupt by whatever means (often illegal).
Anyway, all will come out in the wash but strap in , I for one am really enjoying it. UTC
These 4 users liked this post: tiger76 mybloodisclaret Greenmile louieollie

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:50 am

Jay Rod started his first game of the season , slotted into the new system very well and looked like he could score freely at this level.

There were other encouraging signs but I thought I would mention that
These 2 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret Ric_C

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:12 am

Maatsen will bag a load of assists in this league.

One of those games that on another day we win comfortably, and continue playing in this vein and the wins will come.

I'm impressed how quickly VK has got them ingrained into this new style, and it's pleasing to see us keeping it on the floor much more.

We could easily be sat on 12 points right now.

Huddersfield dominated the 1st half, and could have scored 3 or 4.

Luton after the nervy first 20, we again dominated the play, just lacked that bit of quality to unlock their packed defence.

Watford poor 1st half admittedly, but apart from their goal, and one other chance Watford also created nothing, 2nd half we bossed the game, and their keeper won them the points.

Hull another game were we made all the running, sadly a poor defensive error cost us, but we responded with a fine equaliser, and 2nd half only one team looked like taking the 3 points.

Now I'm not saying things are perfect, but there's plenty to be hopeful about as the season progresses.

Keep the faith.
These 3 users liked this post: mybloodisclaret BobbyBoucher louieollie

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 am

I really like our style of play - there were occasions where we were a little ponderous last night but we can work on that. It’s about finding the right blend. Some people need to understand the magnitude of the change we’ve had to oversee both in terms of personnel and style. One big positive from last night was that we did create chances - Benson, Jay and Vitninho could all have arguably added to the tally.

RVclaret

Post by RVclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:16 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 am
I really like our style of play - there were occasions where we were a little ponderous last night but we can work on that. It’s about finding the right blend. Some people need to understand the magnitude of the change we’ve had to oversee both in terms of personnel and style. One big positive from last night was that we did create chances - Benson, Jay and Vitninho could all have arguably added to the tally.
Brownhill too from Jay’s lay off, had to go across goal

nyclaret
Been Liked: 335 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by nyclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:18 am

Swizzlestick wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:14 am
Unfortunately some people can’t understand the magnitude of the change

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:22 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:11 am
Twine will go nuts in this team. I know it is a step up, but he will score for fun.
I hope your right. The team will come together and the posession stats are incredible. I keep thinking though what Corent might have achieved in this division in this team.

mybloodisclaret

Post by mybloodisclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:13 pm

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:22 am
I hope your right. The team will come together and the posession stats are incredible. I keep thinking though what Corent might have achieved in this division in this team.
Sadly Cornet was far too good for this league.

Sozturf7
Been Liked: 89 times

Post by Sozturf7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:18 pm

I 100% agree, very, very encouraging.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:21 pm

I fear Cornet may get limited opportunities in the PL with WHU. He wont be allowed a bad game like he was with us.Suspect McNeil is in the same situation. Sadly had we got Maxwell and played him every game this season then I suspect he would have scored one or two by now.Could have been perfect with this group

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:29 pm

When THB made that run in the second half culminating in Vitinho's chance. That was the time for me where I thought the players are starting to look more comfortable in this system. We are going to get loads of games like this, where the oppo just shut up shop. We need to break the lines by a CB running through, and also midfielders switching play more quickly.

I also think if we get Kouyate that will help massively to prevent conceding silly goals. Chasing the game doesn't really help our style when the players are learning the system.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Gp8419
Been Liked: 93 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Gp8419 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:17 pm

I’ve made a few comments in frustration after the game,but I’ve thought the game over and we are controlling these games from start to finish mostly-I think we really ain’t far off a good run results wise
These 2 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 ClaretAL

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:33 pm

It’s really interesting to read so many differing perspectives on the start of the season and new style of play! I guess it depends on what style of footy you like and want to see each game?

One thing I do really like is that there appears to be a clear message, plan and vision being implemented across the whole club which can only be a good thing. It’s positive throughout so let’s go with it!

Ultimately, it’s a results business, so if and when we start winning lots of games, we will all be waxing lyrical on here of that I’m sure!
These 3 users liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81 tiger76 louieollie

DukeOfBar
Been Liked: 63 times

Post by DukeOfBar » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:01 pm

Work in progress, but like what I've seen so far. Anyone thinking that everything will click into place in the first few weeks with all the new faces etc is seriously deluded!

UTC! :)

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:11 pm

We have 5 points on the board and no one is really running away with things. Also lots of teams capable of beating each other unlike the PL, so maybe the points required to go up are not set ridiculously high.

Think this is a good test for VK and the coaches-what they have seen, learned about system and players, and now knowing what the missing pieces are. LOts to be positive about. Just two concerns for me-much of a similarity between Vithinho, Benson, Tella. Also we need to sort out the CH pairing quickly, and VK is no mug, he will have seen it

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:17 pm

I think the start to the season has to be looked at bearing in mind who we've played. Huddersfield may struggle but reached the play offs last season, Luton were in the play-offs last season and Watford and Hull both looked well equipped to be in the play-off mix if not higher. They've been decent tests of where we are and generally, we've done OK. I also thought we looked more cohesive yesterday with Jay up front and linking nicely with Cullen and Cork in particular. All of this will take time and we'll use the ball quicker and more incisively the more used the players get to each other and the set up.

That being said, I think the system feels slightly over-thought currently and what surprised me, given the style we're adopting (this was my first game in person this season) was how rigid we were. Roberts was rigidly tucking in as the third centre back - he didn't try and get down the wing once. Vitinho played rigidly as an outside right all game - it might have been worth swapping him and Bastien at some point but we didn't try it. Brownhill and Bastien didn't drift wide to stretch Hull as much as I expected and only Brownhill ever really tried to get beyond Rodriguez.

Particularly with Jay dropping deep to link play, at times we had 4 central midfielders, and Rodriguez, all inside the centre circle, and Vitinho staying high and wide. What we needed was someone making out-to-in runs in behind the back four, with Brownhill and Bastien pulling wider to compensate, make the pitch big and make angles to move Hull's defenders around. Tella might do that job in time, and so might Benson, but as of yet we've seen very little of it. Vitinho tried a few times but it's obviously not natural to him - particularly not on the right where you could see his instinct was to go on the outside.

When we did make the pitch big - usually via Maatsen but occasionally via the wide players - we obviously didn't move the ball quickly enough. The centre backs in particular need to be willing to put a raking cross field pass in of the sort Tarkowski used to do, and which Marney often did for Trippier when he was in the sort of acres Maatsen was in last night. It may be that THB isn't confident in that skill, but I'd like to see him try, and I'd also like to see Cullen demonstrate it's in his skill set - he didn't do it once last night.

I think at times we might be better if (at least occasionally) Cork dropped in to make the back 3 and allowed Roberts to mirror Maatsen on the other side (I suspect VK wants Roberts' pace to deal with the counter but that's a chance we might need to take). That would allow Bastien or Brownhill to drop into a more orthodox midfield position and allow the second striker to focus on threatening the space behind Jay a bit more rather than providing width on the right.

But the other thing that will need to be resolved is that if we keep allowing ourselves to be so open to the counter-attack, we're going to keep conceding cheap goals and making life hard for ourselves. Being 3 v 3 on our half way line whenever we lose the ball and cannot recover it immediately does not have a future in the Championship and last night it was obvious that Hull's tactics (generally, and executed perfectly for the goal) were to adopt a back 7 around their own box and leave 3 powerful athletes up top and get them to chase balls over the top. Not every team will have the athleticism to make that work that Hull had, but too many will for us to ignore the problem.
This user liked this post: warksclaret

Stevie Morgan
Been Liked: 83 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by Stevie Morgan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:24 pm

claretspice wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:17 pm
I think the start to the season has to be looked at bearing in mind who we've played. Huddersfield may struggle but reached the play offs last season, Luton were in the play-offs last season and Watford and Hull both looked well equipped to be in the play-off mix if not higher. They've been decent tests of where we are and generally, we've done OK. I also thought we looked more cohesive yesterday with Jay up front and linking nicely with Cullen and Cork in particular. All of this will take time and we'll use the ball quicker and more incisively the more used the players get to each other and the set up.

That being said, I think the system feels slightly over-thought currently and what surprised me, given the style we're adopting (this was my first game in person this season) was how rigid we were. Roberts was rigidly tucking in as the third centre back - he didn't try and get down the wing once. Vitinho played rigidly as an outside right all game - it might have been worth swapping him and Bastien at some point but we didn't try it. Brownhill and Bastien didn't drift wide to stretch Hull as much as I expected and only Brownhill ever really tried to get beyond Rodriguez.

Particularly with Jay dropping deep to link play, at times we had 4 central midfielders, and Rodriguez, all inside the centre circle, and Vitinho staying high and wide. What we needed was someone making out-to-in runs in behind the back four, with Brownhill and Bastien pulling wider to compensate, make the pitch big and make angles to move Hull's defenders around. Tella might do that job in time, and so might Benson, but as of yet we've seen very little of it. Vitinho tried a few times but it's obviously not natural to him - particularly not on the right where you could see his instinct was to go on the outside.

When we did make the pitch big - usually via Maatsen but occasionally via the wide players - we obviously didn't move the ball quickly enough. The centre backs in particular need to be willing to put a raking cross field pass in of the sort Tarkowski used to do, and which Marney often did for Trippier when he was in the sort of acres Maatsen was in last night. It may be that THB isn't confident in that skill, but I'd like to see him try, and I'd also like to see Cullen demonstrate it's in his skill set - he didn't do it once last night.

I think at times we might be better if (at least occasionally) Cork dropped in to make the back 3 and allowed Roberts to mirror Maatsen on the other side (I suspect VK wants Roberts' pace to deal with the counter but that's a chance we might need to take). That would allow Bastien or Brownhill to drop into a more orthodox midfield position and allow the second striker to focus on threatening the space behind Jay a bit more rather than providing width on the right.

But the other thing that will need to be resolved is that if we keep allowing ourselves to be so open to the counter-attack, we're going to keep conceding cheap goals and making life hard for ourselves. Being 3 v 3 on our half way line whenever we lose the ball and cannot recover it immediately does not have a future in the Championship and last night it was obvious that Hull's tactics (generally, and executed perfectly for the goal) were to adopt a back 7 around their own box and leave 3 powerful athletes up top and get them to chase balls over the top. Not every team will have the athleticism to make that work that Hull had, but too many will for us to ignore the problem.
Roberts has pace?

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:26 pm

Stevie Morgan wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:24 pm
Roberts has pace?
More than Cork does, or Cullen does. And more than Lowton does, which is why I think Lowton is being overlooked (despite the fact that in other respects he appears more suited to playing as a third centre back than Roberts is). He's not out and out quick for sure, but he's quick enough.

Stevie Morgan

Post by Stevie Morgan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:28 pm

Hm, not for me. I think he flatters to deceive. Has some nice touches around oppo box but thats not enough in the position he plays.

warksclaret

Post by warksclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:33 pm

Some fans seem to have it in for Roberts. He has not been brilliant in all games since his debut at the Emirates, however I have seen enough in our colours and in playing for Wales to know we have a very good full back.Lets not forget we paid under £2m so lets not expect a Chilwell or a Robertson

Stevie Morgan

Post by Stevie Morgan » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:42 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:33 pm
Some fans seem to have it in for Roberts. He has not been brilliant in all games since his debut at the Emirates, however I have seen enough in our colours and in playing for Wales to know we have a very good full back.Lets not forget we paid under £2m so lets not expect a Chilwell or a Robertson
Wales maybe, not for us. Dare I say it, I think Lowton would be a better fit, not that I expect him to get a look in. Actually, the position Roberts taking up seems ideal for Egan-Riley and would like to see him in there.

louieollie
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by louieollie » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:46 pm

It seems ( and I could be wrong) that the majority of the the glass half empty brigade are still in mourning for yesteryear with the Messiah still in charge. Don't get me wrong I absolutely loved the majority of his time at the club and the legacy he's left behind can't be questioned nor should it be either. But I just get the feeling reading the posts that some are looking to applaud failure at no matter what cost , and thats a real shame.

Roosterbooster
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by Roosterbooster » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:49 pm

Very encouraging

Deserved our win at Huddersfield
Deserved a win against Luton
Deserved at least a point at Watford
Absolutely battered Hull last night and missed at least 2 shouldascoreds

Needs some tinkering, but there's more to come and I'm really enjoying it