Please pass quicker

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Please pass quicker

Post by NewClaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 am

Overall think we’ve been brilliant this season. I had United-supporting mates coming to watch us tonight, such is the shift in opinion on our play. It’s nothing short of remarkable.

My one complaint though; we’re taking too many touches. I take a kids team and without boring everyone, all our training games are 3 touch. They used to complain but all that’s stopped and now rarely use more than 2.

So it really frustrates me when professionals dwell on the ball and take 2/3 touches to play a pass they could’ve done first time.

Speed that up Vince and I’ll be happy no matter the scoreline.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Please pass quicker

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:02 am

that's our biggest issue

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:06 am

Agree

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 am

There is another professional football team out there and not a kids team, you know?

Sometimes it's not possible to play the 1 and 2 touch football.

It's all about movement anyway, is passing and possession.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:15 am

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:01 am
Overall think we’ve been brilliant this season. I had United-supporting mates coming to watch us tonight, such is the shift in opinion on our play. It’s nothing short of remarkable.

My one complaint though; we’re taking too many touches. I take a kids team and without boring everyone, all our training games are 3 touch. They used to complain but all that’s stopped and now rarely use more than 2.

So it really frustrates me when professionals dwell on the ball and take 2/3 touches to play a pass they could’ve done first time.

Speed that up Vince and I’ll be happy no matter the scoreline.
We pass so much quicker than we have done in many years, our passes are one touch in small triangles and after what we have been Served up for the last god knows how many years you come out with this?

The problem isn’t the build up, or the speed of the passing, it’s passing it too much in the final third that’s letting us down, along with the fact that Jay and Barnes are struggling to get to grips with the plan. One (or possibly 2 ) good new strikers who haven’t been conditioned like Jay and Ash and we rip teams a new one.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:02 am
that's our biggest issue
I'd say conceding soft goals in the last three matches is probably a bigger problem.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill Stayingup

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 am

Spot Charlie was taking the pxxx ignoring Ians runs and passing back or sideways
We needed pace and quicker thought 2 points lost against another alehouse brawler team
We need to give the Lashers a hammering to get back on track

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3597 times

Post by DCWat » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:19 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:14 am
There is another professional football team out there and not a kids team, you know?

Sometimes it's not possible to play the 1 and 2 touch football.

It's all about movement anyway, is passing and possession.
Movement was lacking at times tonight. To speed up our passing, that is the key. The movement in the first half at Huddersfield was superb - perhaps helped by Huddersfield being poor and not really knowing what to expect from us.

If we can get to that level of performance consistently, it’ll be a joy to watch. Hopefully that was a glimpse of things to come.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:34 am

Spijed wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:17 am
I'd say conceding soft goals in the last three matches is probably a bigger problem.
if we passed the ball quicker it wouldn't matter, we would be scoring 3-4 per game

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:47 am

The only thing that makes passing teams not boring g, is that turn of pace after a decisive pass and the ball fired into the net. Manchester City with all their billions, have managed that mostly, although without the end product, they would be boring.

Liverpool are much slicker.

In the Championship, 2 strikers seems to work, rather than one. That's what can get teams up, owing to the defensive errors.

We are Manchester City at the back, without much urgency. Bacj and forth. Cullen completes multiple passes. However, he adds further slowness.

Team just sit back and watch!.

The one moment we made a run, saw and made the pass and got the cross on, was a superb Jay Rodriguez goal. The rest of the match, we were back to type. Slooow.

Dropping too many points, although I must admit to surprise we have many, as everyone is new to the league and each other.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:04 am

I think we all should give this new project a bit more time.
This user liked this post: NewClaret

claretandy
Been Liked: 953 times
Has Liked: 238 times

Post by claretandy » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:02 am

How many times did Taylor give the ball to THB because he didn't know what to do with it ? He doesn't fit the system.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:20 am

Spijed wrote:
Obviously this is a factor because not many teams will score more than one against us, so if we concede a soft one they’ll sit back and try to soak it up.

But we conceded early and had well over 70 minutes to score two yesterday. With good attacking play, we should be able to score more than one goal. We should also be looking to score 2 every game as a minimum because 1-0 is a risky score line.

It’s all now about opening teams up which needs to be done quickly.

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1559 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am

NewClaret wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:20 am
Obviously this is a factor because not many teams will score more than one against us, so if we concede a soft one they’ll sit back and try to soak it up.

But we conceded early and had well over 70 minutes to score two yesterday. With good attacking play, we should be able to score more than one goal. We should also be looking to score 2 every game as a minimum because 1-0 is a risky score line.

It’s all now about opening teams up which needs to be done quickly.
Yep your right the top 2 teams last season scored 106 and 83.

If we can get similar tally’s we should be up there

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:28 am

claretandy wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:02 am
How many times did Taylor give the ball to THB because he didn't know what to do with it ? He doesn't fit the system.
Eh? Or maybe he was just retaining possession and helping to move the opposition around whilst others tried to create space in front of him….

FWIW I agree there needs to be a bit more ‘fizz’ about our play. I think this is also down to a lack of a true number 10 in our team. We don’t really have anybody centrally who can go past an opponent which is required to open things up for the team.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 am

Spijed wrote:
Both are problems. The slow build up and poor crossing (Benson) are reasons our forwards are not scoring enough. The best crosses last night came from Taylor and Maatsen. I'd like t see Taylor revert to left back he looks lost at Centre half and lost the guy for their goal.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 am

We score the first goal, the last three games propably would have been totally different.

Teams have done their homework already on us, and will just sit deep and not give us space to play around, or through them, especially when they have the lead or are holding onto a point.

How many times for example, have we been to Anfield especially over the last few seasons and done exactly that to them and frustrated them, especially Mr Klopp?

This new team will have to find a new way to win games, it's also very sureal for me as a fan watching teams trying to stop us playing rather than the other way round.

I have no doubt it will come, and I'm personally loving watching the likes of Cullen, THB etc play some great football instead of watching other teams and wishing we played like that.

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:54 am

We definitely need better movement but the point of multiple touches/passes is to move the other team around until there’s an opportunity for an opening. We just need to do it a bit quicker but that will come

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:56 am

Both home games we have conceded early. The opposition then become what we have been for years under Dyche - sit deep, framework, allow the opposition possession and all the passing is in front of the midfield 4 i.e. where it can't harm the opposition. Our ponderous build up play allows the opposition to get back into position when they lose the ball and our reticence to playing a ball into the box means we are going to create few clear cut chances. I went to the loo at Watford on Friday around the 60 minute mark and Dave Burnley was at the end of my row. He shook his head as yet more possession came to nothing and my comment to him was "you don't win a raffle if you won't buy a ticket".

forzagranata
Been Liked: 222 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by forzagranata » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:57 am

Stayingup wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:35 am
Both are problems. The slow build up and poor crossing (Benson) are reasons our forwards are not scoring enough. The best crosses last night came from Taylor and Maatsen. I'd like t see Taylor revert to left back he looks lost at Centre half and lost the guy for their goal.
Taylor is the best crosser of a ball in this team.

Paddy1882
Been Liked: 134 times
Has Liked: 17 times

Post by Paddy1882 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:04 am

As people have said it will definitely come it is just a case of people adapting to the new style, especially the players who were here before VK. The amount of times taylor and Roberts passed sideways instead of into midfield or Wide, or the amount of times Cork received the ball on the half turn and instead of going forward cut back and played it sideways or backwards. I don't think the problem is the movement it is the courage to put the ball at risk to find that movement, but not doubt that will come in time.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1596 times
Has Liked: 888 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:13 am

I must be the only person that saw Taylor misplace less passes than Cork last night.

He also put in our second best cross in to the box late on. Unfortunately there was no one there to attack it.

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:22 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:27 am
Yep your right the top 2 teams last season scored 106 and 83.

If we can get similar tally’s we should be up there
Another interesting stat is that Fulham lost 10 games last season. So a quarter-ish of all games, but romped top place. They drew almost as many with 9.

Bournemouth lost less but drew 13!!! We need to start finding the net, of course, but shows the margin for error when you only need to win half your games.

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:25 am

Taylor square peg round hole at CB not his choice
We would benefit with a quick centre forward
When wingers set off someone there to pass /cross
Iam sure it will be resolved .

FeedTheArf
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by FeedTheArf » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:30 am

I’m fine with all the passing, but please please please make the most of our new found pace in the side and pass into space!!

The amount of times Maatsen was out on the touch line waiting for the ball only to have it passed behind him to then have to pass it straight back. Use the pace, give him something to run on to. One of the very few times we did that we scored!

I get that it’s early days and a learning curve, but at the minute we’re not benefiting from the pace we have.

I have to say, I do think when/if it all comes together we’re hammer some of the sides in this division.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:34 am

Spijed wrote:
And all three goals have come down the LHS of our back line

Maatsen caught up front leaving CT well exposed in a position he is clearly not comfortable with

It is an obvious weakness that will continue to be played on

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:39 am

FeedTheArf wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:30 am
I’m fine with all the passing, but please please please make the most of our new found pace in the side and pass into space!!

The amount of times Maatsen was out on the touch line waiting for the ball only to have it passed behind him to then have to pass it straight back. Use the pace, give him something to run on to. One of the very few times we did that we scored!

I get that it’s early days and a learning curve, but at the minute we’re not benefiting from the pace we have.

I have to say, I do think when/if it all comes together we’re hammer some of the sides in this division.
Yes …. If we are going to be a sort of low-budget Man City we have to emulate their major way of scoring goals and get wide players round the back of defences. It’s difficult to see us scoring from set pieces or from distance ;though Twine may change this to some degree) so getting to the by-line and pulling it back seems vital.