60 Years ago today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
HeatonMoorClaret
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 28 times

60 Years ago today

Post by HeatonMoorClaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:21 pm

It's exactly 60 years today that I made my first visit to Turf Moor.
Having been part of the welcome home parade when Burnley became Division One Champions in 1960 and then watching them on TV in the 1962 Cup Final it was time to go 'on't Turf' .

18th August 1962 we played Everton first game of the season we got beat 1 - 3 the goalscorer for Burnley was Ray Pointer (the blonde bomber) one of the Everton goals scored by Alex Young (the Golden Vision). Watching Burnley's best Jimmy Mac never to be forgotten.

That was the start of the absolute rollacoaster journey watching Burnley Football Club at home (and away where possible).

Still on the ride today this time with Vincent .

Up the Clarets
These 3 users liked this post: Buxtonclaret Royboyclaret dsr

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Re: 60 Years ago today

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:11 pm

Not the best game to start your Burnley career in what was a lacklustre performance from us. Possibly a hangover situation in what was our first competitive game since the FA Cup Final defeat at Wembley.

The other Everton scorers were Roy Vernon (ex-Blackburn Rovers) and Billy Bingham. We then went on a reasonably decent unbeaten run, before finishing the season third in the top Division.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32235 times
Has Liked: 5252 times

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:13 pm

HeatonMoorClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:21 pm
It's exactly 60 years today that I made my first visit to Turf Moor.
Having been part of the welcome home parade when Burnley became Division One Champions in 1960 and then watching them on TV in the 1962 Cup Final it was time to go 'on't Turf' .

18th August 1962 we played Everton first game of the season we got beat 1 - 3 the goalscorer for Burnley was Ray Pointer (the blonde bomber) one of the Everton goals scored by Alex Young (the Golden Vision). Watching Burnley's best Jimmy Mac never to be forgotten.

That was the start of the absolute rollacoaster journey watching Burnley Football Club at home (and away where possible).

Still on the ride today this time with Vincent .

Up the Clarets
A day never to be forgotten, your first at the Turf.

Result, attendance and goalscorers at
https://www.uptheclarets.com/fixtures-r ... 63-results

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:24 pm

That fixture list brings back some mixed memories. First time I went to an away game without an adult was our 2-3 win at Blackburn. I was 10 and my 13 year old cousin was 'in charge' that day. Ray Pointer's shot that 'rocked the Kop' in our 1-2 win at Anfield. The big freeze of Jan and Feb '63 and the arrival of my favourite centre forward for us, Willie Irvine. He didn't need time to settle in.

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1273 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:22 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 2:24 pm
That fixture list brings back some mixed memories. First time I went to an away game without an adult was our 2-3 win at Blackburn. I was 10 and my 13 year old cousin was 'in charge' that day. Ray Pointer's shot that 'rocked the Kop' in our 1-2 win at Anfield. The big freeze of Jan and Feb '63 and the arrival of my favourite centre forward for us, Willie Irvine. He didn't need time to settle in.
Ah yes, the big freeze in early '63 when we played very few games due to frozen pitches. Ironically one game we did play was against Tottenham in the FA Cup third round, our first Cup tie since losing to them at Wembley in the Final the previous May.

After a few postponements the game eventually went ahead at White Hart Lane on a midweek afternoon on a snow covered pitch and we ripped them to shreds winning 3-0. Our players had been very humble in defeat at Wembley the previous May but Tottenham were anything but humble during this defeat. In fact they lost their heads completely at one stage with their winger Dyson making the big mistake of mixing it with Adam Blacklaw, there was only going to be one winner in that contest and it wasn't the Spurs player !