Clarets vs Blackpool pre match Presser.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Clarets vs Blackpool pre match Presser.

Post by TheFamilyCat » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:38 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:22 am
Has there really been a hysterical reaction?

Most people just seem to think it was just a bit odd from what I can see.
The hysterical reaction seems to be from those who think that highlighting the oddness off the question is an accusation of racism.
These 2 users liked this post: fatboy47 tiger76

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:45 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:22 am
Has there really been a hysterical reaction?

Most people just seem to think it was just a bit odd from what I can see.
My first contribution on this thread, and I totally agree it was just a bizarre question to ask at a pre match press conference, and completely irrelevant for the event.

However I haven't noticed any hysteria expressed, bemusement perhaps regarding the strange question, and by all accounts Vincent Kompany was equally surprised at this question being posed to him on the eve of a big derby match, when surely the topics should have been related to the players and our opponents ahead of a big game.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1130 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:46 am

Talk about a storm in a teacup. Most of the hysteria seems to come from people who are uncomfortable talking about race. He is our first black manager. It's a rolling hot topic that not enough chances are given to black managers in English football. It's obviously fine if VK doesn't want to lean into that but it's a perfectly sensible question to ask.

The reason this hasn't been mentioned by anyone outside of our fandom is that it's an absolute nothing.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:50 am

Teddy wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:35 am
Oh give it a rest Elizabeth! I don’t post often, and just enjoy reading the threads for info and opinions, but your posts really stand out as incredibly tedious.
Each post is either a negative statement, picking someone up on something with little reason, or getting the completely wrong end of the stick and then being defensive when caught out.
Must be exhausting being like you
Clearly you would know a lot about getting the wrong end of the stick

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:46 am
It's obviously fine if VK doesn't want to lean into that but it's a perfectly sensible question to ask.
No it isn't.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Blackpool match, and in 2022 the majority of us try to be colour blind. I don't believe it was racist, but it''s at the very top end of inappropriate, and I'm amazed that Bird hasn't come out by now and offered an unreserved apology.
How is anyone's skin colour relevant to anyone?
(I speak as someone who has no agenda against Phil Bird whatsoever, in fact he is a good friend of a friend).
This user liked this post: jen1066

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:53 am

Tbh until this all kicked off, it hadn't crossed my mind once that VK was our first black manager

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:54 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:51 am
No it isn't.
It has nothing whatsoever to do with the Blackpool match, and in 2022 the majority of us try to be colour blind. I don't believe it was racist, but it''s at the very top end of inappropriate, and I'm amazed that Bird hasn't come out by now and offered an unreserved apology.
How is anyone's skin colour relevant to anyone?
(I speak as someone who has no agenda against Phil Bird whatsoever, in fact he is a good friend of a friend).
Being "colour blind" is just a thing white people say when they don't want to acknowledge the pervasiveness of racism.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2047 times

Post by CoolClaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:22 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:54 am
Being "colour blind" is just a thing white people say when they don't want to acknowledge the pervasiveness of racism.
Having this philosophy where everything is split into collective ideology and outlooks is super damaging.

We will never move forward as a society if every action is looked from a potential racial angle

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3952 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:39 am

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:54 am
Ok. I'll try to rephrase it:
"Most of us nowadays try not to look at or consider the colour of someone's skin, since it is entirely irrelevant to everything".
That's what I mean't when said we try to be "colour blind"
If you were to ask my grandchildren what they noticed most about Vincent Kompany, they would most likely say that he is very tall.

daveisaclaret

Post by daveisaclaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:45 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:39 am
"Most of us nowadays try not to look at or consider the colour of someone's skin, since it is entirely irrelevant to everything".
If you were to ask my grandchildren what they noticed most about Vincent Kompany, they would most likely say that he is very tall.
Yeah, it's easy for white people to decide that skin colour is now irrelevant because we aren't on the receiving end of anti-black racism.

It's good that your grandchildren aren't racist, but it doesn't really say much about our society as a whole.
This user liked this post: Massivefloodlights

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:49 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Try to be implies some degree/modicum of effort it's not instinctive though it's just not noticeable in expressing the recognition because it's something we register as normal once that initial information has been processed. We are race conditioned in this new world to be super sensitive even to the point sometimes of not articulately getting your point across through fear of offending even when sincerely unintentional without malice or any harm.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:59 am

nil_desperandum wrote:
Funny you said that as a lad who i work with one of his kids at school was talking about a lad in class , now he could not pick him ( he is the only one black lad in class ) and his youngest said yer you do, remember he was wearing a yellow jacket when i spoke to him last week and you were there .
Kids don't see it which is just fantastic , the future is bright for all of us .
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Teddy
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Teddy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:11 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:50 am
Clearly you would know a lot about getting the wrong end of the stick
Hmm ok, just for clarification - which bit do you believe I got wrong?

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:15 pm

Teddy wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:11 am
Hmm ok, just for clarification - which bit do you believe I got wrong?
The thread is coming to a natural end so I have no interest in arguing with you. What I will say to you is that I look forward with interest to reading your opinions on any thread , which you appear reluctant to make other than to come on making cheap shots at posters .

gtclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by gtclaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:02 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:38 am
The hysterical reaction seems to be from those who think that highlighting the oddness off the question is an accusation of racism.
Look at Twitter

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:41 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:45 am
Yeah, it's easy for white people to decide that skin colour is now irrelevant because we aren't on the receiving end of anti-black racism.

It's good that your grandchildren aren't racist, but it doesn't really say much about our society as a whole.
Oh give it a rest pal. We know racism sadly exists...and we'd all like to think we'd call it out..we just don't live and breathe it every day. We live our lives treating everyone as a human being and on their own merits.
If all people of every colour thought this way there would be no racism. So why is it wrong to be like that?
This user liked this post: jen1066

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:00 pm

looks like this is how VK responded to the question. Class response and not an iota of it addressing Bird's emphasis - just how he feels.
https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/con ... re-kompany

Teddy
Been Liked: 10 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Teddy » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:38 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:15 pm
The thread is coming to a natural end so I have no interest in arguing with you. What I will say to you is that I look forward with interest to reading your opinions on any thread , which you appear reluctant to make other than to come on making cheap shots at posters .
Fair enough, and likewise to you too.
Anyway, as we could go in circles with this, let’s try and lose the negative thoughts and enjoy the game tomorrow!

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 997 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:18 am

‘Don’t mention the war’.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 2693 times

Post by fatboy47 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:00 am

Darnhill Claret wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:18 am
‘Don’t mention the war’.
Phil Bird did once, but I think he got away with it.