Advice on coaching a kids team (under 11s)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
barba
Been Liked: 100 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Advice on coaching a kids team (under 11s)

Post by barba » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 pm

My sons new team will struggle to survive without help with coaching etc so I've decided to step up to help.

Any advice for someone who is inexperienced but keen would be gratefully appreciated.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Re: Advice on coaching a kids team (under 11s)

Post by wilks_bfc » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:42 pm

barba wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 pm
My sons new team will struggle to survive without help with coaching etc so I've decided to step up to help.

Any advice for someone who is inexperienced but keen would be gratefully appreciated.
Firstly well done for stepping up to do something that a lot wouldn’t.

As somebody who’s done it for 5yrs, I’d say make sure you prep your training sessions.

If you are on Twitter there are loads of coaches out there who share their sessions.

Hopefully your club will have some coaches already there that will help you out as you start

Also try and get somebody to help you. You’ll need somebody to help out especially when you move up in ages and it’s good to bounce ideas off.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:47 pm

Some fantastic resources on YouTube for youth football coaching.

Good on you for stepping up.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:51 pm

barba wrote:

Well done you! That's a great decision and one that I hope will give you much joy and no doubt some frustrations too. I am Treasurer of my local JFC so not as "operational" as you will be but here is what I have seen over the last 5 years:

* there are enough drills on YouTube to cover your training sessions - buddy up with another coach/age group to build your confidence
* make sure you have a strong Parent Rep (to act as liaison between the Club and parents/players)
* ask others to pull their weight - taking down the nets, running the tuck shop, running the line - whatever they can do
* decide your ethos (or follow the Club's) and be open about it - is your main objective to win trophies, or to offer equal participation to all? The reality is probably somewhere inbetween but be clear with players (and parents)
* ask the Club to sponsor and fund your Level 1 coaching cert, First Aid and Safeguarding courses
* try to avoid making decisions about your own son (POTY, subs etc) - you will probably end up over-compensating and being too harsh on your son
* enjoy it and encourage others to do the same

Good luck and feel free to reach out for any advice. If I don't know the answer, which is likely, there are loads on here that will do and I have access to 15 or so managers that probably can.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:51 pm
Well done you! That's a great decision and one that I hope will give you much joy and no doubt some frustrations too. I am Treasurer of my local JFC so not as "operational" as you will be but here is what I have seen over the last 5 years:

* there are enough drills on YouTube to cover your training sessions - buddy up with another coach/age group to build your confidence
* make sure you have a strong Parent Rep (to act as liaison between the Club and parents/players)
* ask others to pull their weight - taking down the nets, running the tuck shop, running the line - whatever they can do
* decide your ethos (or follow the Club's) and be open about it - is your main objective to win trophies, or to offer equal participation to all? The reality is probably somewhere inbetween but be clear with players (and parents)
* ask the Club to sponsor and fund your Level 1 coaching cert, First Aid and Safeguarding courses
* try to avoid making decisions about your own son (POTY, subs etc) - you will probably end up over-compensating and being too harsh on your son
* enjoy it and encourage others to do the same

Good luck and feel free to reach out for any advice. If I don't know the answer, which is likely, there are loads on here that will do and I have access to 15 or so managers that probably can.
Which club are you involved with? I'm sure from previous posts you live round my neck of the woods.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:54 pm
Which club are you involved with? I'm sure from previous posts you live round my neck of the woods.
We do live in the same neck of the woods and both enjoy 'Tell 'Em We're Surfin'. Happy to share deets with you privately TFC but probs not on a forum.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:58 pm
We do live in the same neck of the woods and both enjoy 'Tell 'Em We're Surfin'. Happy to share deets with you privately TFC but probs not on a forum.
Fair enough. Just curious as I've just started coaching at Robin Hood as my lad has just started under 7's.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3037 times
Has Liked: 3759 times

Post by NewClaret » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:09 pm

I’ve been doing it a good few years now. Biggest pieces of advice are:

- to work on passing in training. I did this by making all training games passing-based. I started with rules like no overhead height, progressed to games where every player needed to touch the ball before a goal could be scored, then points for each goal depending on how many passes had been made in the build up, to strict 3 touch games. The latter is really hard at first & they whinge like crazy but now play everything 1/2 touch so don’t even ask. That has brought them on more than any drills.

- try and get other parents to commit to small parts of running the team. One can do subs, some can set up on home games, another can do kit once a year, etc. Otherwise it becomes a lot, especially if you work. You’ll be amazed how much effort is involved in running a small team so tell them you need/expect their help. And never ever take any **** off them.

- get a WhatsApp group if you haven’t already & insist parents join as part of being in the team. Perhaps uncommon but I had a few that didn’t have the app & insisted I communicate everything to them separately. Really hard as there’s a lot of comms involved so in the end told them to get it or find another team.

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 pm

Coaching the kids tends to be the easy part. Plenty of online help for drills and stuff to keep it interesting. Dealing with the parents might be more of a challenge!

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:11 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:06 pm
Fair enough. Just curious as I've just started coaching at Robin Hood as my lad has just started under 7's.
It's not Robin Hood but, like most people involved in junior football in our area, I am aware of Keith Moore. Apparently he was an apprentice at Colchester when Andy Farrell was at Layer Road!

All the best with the coaching. Muchos respect!!
This user liked this post: TheFamilyCat

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:19 am

I can't offer too much practical advice for today as I'm sure things have changed a lot.

I would say though that were two types of teams our under 11s played. Most just did their best and tried to enjoy themselves. One or two were much more serious. They were the better teams but their coaches were both failed pro footballers - they had been young players at top clubs (Liverpool in one case) and got distracted by non football stuff - and they didn't want their players to travel in the same way so they were pretty tough on them. Too tough in my view.

I went on the first FA coaching course and found it a lot of fun and interesting (as well as very tiring as when you are not coaching you are being coached, running around and playing football) but also a bit disappointing. Our main teacher said he was a Chelsea youth team coach and on the one hand he told us, for example, to tell centre backs to give a little nudge in the forwards back before challenging to head the ball, then later we were told the laws of the game! I failed but still learnt some things.

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:58 am

1). Genuinely, take the outcome out of the equation and instead focus on the process! I always say to my groups things like, ‘I’m only interested in how well you play’, or ‘take risks, fail and then learn’. Also, if we have been working on dribbling 1v1 in training, I will tell the team before a game that I’m keeping score for every time someone goes past an opponent. I will then use an app to log this.

2). Dealing with parents - set your stall out early by writing to them before day 1. I outline key rules such as no shouting/calling out ‘advice’ at the kids during training or games, no arguing with the volunteering referee or with opposing parents/kids. Even game playing time for ALL players regardless of the result/score. I once started with a group of around 10/11 boys and within a few weeks I had 28 boys and girls meaning I then needed to enter 2 teams of 7-a-side (I couldn’t manage more at once). Both teams played on adjoining pitches each weekend meaning 14 of them played the first half whilst I trained the other 14 on the pitch side before swapping them all at half time. This included my own son because you can’t have ‘favourites’ if you want to build numbers.

3). Involve other parents whenever you can! You will need refs, linesman, help with training etc… I once had a lad who’s Dad had played Rugby Union professionally years ago and he became a great ally because despite it being a different sport he had so much experience to offer.

4). How good/comfortable are they with the ball at their feet? I often spend the first 6-12 months working on ‘dribbling like Messi’ as I like to call it because this teaches them how to keep the ball even under pressure as opposed to merely lumping it anywhere out of fear of losing it. Passing will then naturally improve over time alongside this as they get more confident.

That’s a few of my ideas and I hope that helps!
By the way, it’s great fun when done properly. Good luck

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times

Post by dushanbe » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:35 am

Things I've picked up over the last 5 years or so are;

Kids generally don't like cones, try and do everything around small sided games, rondos and realistic game related activities
Your're the coach, if parents want input they can become the coach.
Communicate information clearly and early
Use an app like Spond to keep track of everything
Its their game, not yours, you'll come across some proper adult bellends, don't be one yourself.

bfcmatt
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by bfcmatt » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:36 am

My advice (after 16 years in junior football) is to make sure the kids enjoy it. It isnt about fielding your best team at every match, they all develop at different speeds. All my players receive a minimum of a full half, how will they learn and move forward sitting on the touchline watching. Ensure the parents understand this and also explain to them that they need to help setting up on matchdays, even in the rain. There are far to many alex fergusons in junior football who expect the kids to win every match. You will love seeing the kids grow and get better and that is reward enough, not trophies.

midsummersday
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by midsummersday » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:52 am

In my younger days as a qualified coach,having already done work for lancashire council with children and youths,work that i found very
enjoyable and satisfying. I then accepted [when asked and pestered]to coach a local boys team in blackburn,with boys aged between 9 and 13.
i had a number of about 16 boys and had on match days to try and involve as many as possible.At this stage of developement there is a huge difference
in ability between 9 and 13 involve them all together in a game and the young ones will be chasing shadows and never get a kick other than in
training sessions,and in games the older ones complain that playing the younger less developed or talented ones just lets the side down.
So before one game i asked all boys DO YOU WANT TO TRY TO WIN,or do you all want to enjoy a run out using as many of you[all ages]
of course they want to win,so i played the strongest team. BIG MISTAKE.I HAD PARENTS RANTING ABOUT THEIR YOUNGER ONES NOT BEING INVOLVED.
it was a no win situation.
So my first advice must be either coach a team of a particular age group say 9 to 11.....or 11 to 13 you get the idea.
When coaching for lancs council evening classes we divided classes as such 9 to 11 5.30 to 6.30......11 to 13 6.30 to 7.30 ..13 to 15 7.30 to 8.30
that way you can alter your training and coaching to the students ability,....its not wise to mix then the young ones dont have a chance.
First and formost they have to ENJOY IT. that way they fall in love with the game and will do forever.
I have also had to do mixed sessions boys and girls which tests you again in different ways.However i am so pleased at the recent progress of
womens football over the past few years.why shouldnt girls enjoy the beautiful game as much as boys,but you can not mix teams,due to different
strength and size.You can obtain tremendous pleasure seeing and helping football progress in youngsters,but beware angry parents who see their
children as future internationals....claret for ever

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:03 am

There are loads of resources out there that will give you ideas of training drills. I coached a side from U10 to U14 and then the team folded due to lack of numbers. You will need Level 1 FA coaching badge or someone suitably qualified present at training sessions and matches. All adults who interact with children will need a DBS check. Key points i learned:

1. Plan your training session so you know what you are going to do and there should always be a theme and an objective. Ensure the objective is achieved - if the focus is on defending, then the outcome should be that the defenders come out on top. You don't want to set up a defence drill and then the attackers score a bag full.
2. Start with an arrival exercise, so that late arrivals can join in. So don't set up 3 v 3 games when you have 12 players and then be stuck when 2 arrive late. Progress the session to the next stage then ultimately into a match related scenario.
3. Enlist the help of one or more parents. When i was coaching there were 2 of us and because we were relatively late starters in the season, we had to train under portable lights on a dark field. It used to take a good half hour to set up and the same to put away. Many of the parents i dealt with saw it as an hour's childcare - drop off at 7, pick up at 8 and leave the coaches to set up and tidy away.
4. Do not focus on results. One of the proudest days i had as a coach, my team lost 16-0. We played a team who were unbeaten and top of the division above us, we had 10 men and no goalkeeper, they had 11 players plus 4 subs so could constantly refresh throughout the match. They were superb, never let their heads drop and many of the goals were scored in the last 15 minutes as my boys were exhausted. At full time the ref came over and complimented us on the effort and the conduct of the boys and gave me her match fee for the game and said go and buy the boys something, chocolate or what ever as they deserve it. I also had the child welfare officer of the opposition come over and be equally complimentary, She said that they had recently beaten a side who had a full squad and were in the same division 25-0 so it put into perspective just how well my boys had done.
5. Set your expectations out clearly to the boys. Arrive on time with the correct clothing and equipment and be ready to start on time. When the coach speaks, there is only one voice to be heard, no talking or back chat, though questions and suggestions are allowed.
6. I always rounded a session off with a match, which keeps the boys engaged and also allows you to focus on the session you have just delivered. So a possession based drill may lead to a match where you cannot tackle but can close down and if you touch the player in possession they lose the ball. It encourages them to look to find a team mate in space in move the ball when pressed before they are touched.

There are loads more things but you get the general gist.

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:48 am

Herts Clarets wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:03 am
4. Do not focus on results. One of the proudest days i had as a coach, my team lost 16-0. We played a team who were unbeaten and top of the division above us, we had 10 men and no goalkeeper, they had 11 players plus 4 subs so could constantly refresh throughout the match. They were superb, never let their heads drop and many of the goals were scored in the last 15 minutes as my boys were exhausted. At full time the ref came over and complimented us on the effort and the conduct of the boys and gave me her match fee for the game and said go and buy the boys something, chocolate or what ever as they deserve it. I also had the child welfare officer of the opposition come over and be equally complimentary, She said that they had recently beaten a side who had a full squad and were in the same division 25-0 so it put into perspective just how well my boys had done.
They are often the best times

I arranged to play a friendly game of 11v11 the other week ready for the step up this season. Unfortunately I was only able to get 10 together for the day and then one called sick

Opposition agreed to play 9v9, and at half time we were 2-1 and down to 8 players as my keeper collided with the post as they scored their second just before the break.

We had worked on overloads the previous training session and it showed as we equalised and came close to taking the lead.
It was only with the last kick did the opposition get a winner but I made sure every one of my players knew how well they had done

midsummersday
Been Liked: 12 times

Post by midsummersday » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:16 pm

I agree with just about all that herts claret said...my time is long gone for coaching youngsters but more or less the things remain the same.
Good luck to all you new kids on the block....I loved every minute of trying to improve the kids while trying to see they enjoyed it,learnt
something and wanted to come back...achieve that and consider it a success.
Did have a spell in briish columbia coaching college students,but the kids are more fun,the teenages think they know more than the coach.
Maybe they were right

Sutton-Claret
Been Liked: 378 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Post by Sutton-Claret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:09 pm

My kids teams use an app called 'Spond' which is great. Used for communicating training session times / matches / squad etc

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm

Ensure you are DBS checked.
Treat all the kids equally and give them all a fair crack at playing.
Make it about having fun rather than just the winning
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

SurreyClaret
Been Liked: 32 times
Has Liked: 10 times

Post by SurreyClaret » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:06 pm

Some great advice on here, I'm Head of Youth at our local club and have coached for about 5 years now. My advice :

- Plan your session - I recommend arrival drill (skills), match type drill, match (do not forgo the match, it's their favourite part).

- Equal playing time or at least 50% of game time - don't recruit too many, you will be doing them all a disservice if you have too many as you can't focus on them enough or give them enough time. Kids (and parents) demand fairness or you'll hear about it!

- Don't do Player of the Match (would go to same players), do something more generic so you can rotate the award around for something they have done well. I award captains armband to the player who trains the hardest and award two match awards, one generally for defending and one attacking for doing something, anything well in the game.

- Be upfront with parents about what you are about from the start - you have a goodwill straight away for stepping up which will help

- Don't get too high when you win or too low when you lose, always focus on positives and development. Development leads to winning in the long run.

- At any age, including U7, you get idiot parents and coaches. Don't rise to it, act professional at all times and work with the referee (they are hard to find at grassroots because of the abuse they do). Each coach should deal with their own parents and teams and are the people with the most responsibility for stopping it kicking off and diffusing situations. You don't want an FA charge to deal with, it's painful, like a court case.

- Above all keep it fun for everyone or you'll lose kids along the way - that happens at times anyway, but more to the coaches who are not keeping it fun or are not doing things right. Remember it also needs to be fun for Coaches too.

Well done for stepping up, believe me it's very enjoyable (and frustrating) but also rewarding to see the kids develop, whilst also spending quality time with your own kid.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:30 pm

paulatky wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:29 pm
Make it about having fun rather than just the winning
Well said. It's the main thing, and good clubs make it their number one priority. I've seen some real crap opposition coaches ranting at kids after a defeat, or having a go at 14-year-old refs. Yep, right in their faces. I've also told them what sad bastards they are - funny how they back down when an adult calls out their behaviour. Mind you, it's far from a regular occurrence, but still, it's not on.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:26 pm

Some great advice and some aimed at a coach who wants to be the next England manager.

Firstly have fun and when you see kids not interested in training, play Penalty comps or hit the crossbar.

Make sure your team plays in the right league or they will get walloped every week. Make sure every team member plays a part or they won't be there after a few week.

Good luck.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 713 times
Has Liked: 1995 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:42 pm

I was coach of a boys team from under 5s taking them through to under 16s where my A team were one of the best in the league and my b team the worst. The main step is to make it about achievement and fun. The key for me at under 10s/11s/12s we’re:-

1. Parents - set your stall out early doors. Tap into their enthusiasm but getting them involved in helping setup, help support, etc. make sure they know their boundaries though because the worst thing about them is their competitiveness. Most will have been total footballing failures so try to relive it with more success through their kids and get way too involved. This results in abuse from the sidelines, criticism of their kids, your decisions and the referees and taking the enjoyment out of it for both their kids and you. In the end, I put ropes 10 metres away from the lines and didn’t allow them any closer. Nothing worse than having a kid walk off crying because their dad has had a go at them for not scoring or being the next J-rod.

2. Set up training with the mindset of enjoyment and achieving new skills. A lot of coaches take it way too seriously and set up drills made for adults and pros and forget that the main reason kids play football is to have fun. Keep an eye out for age appropriate drills and don’t be afraid to try your own made up drills. My lads at that age loved playing a drill I made up where it was basically netball with your feet. No moving with the ball and small goals for nets.

3. Don’t forget to enjoy yourself.

Foshiznik
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:46 pm

SurreyClaret wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:06 pm
- Don't do Player of the Match (would go to same players), do something more generic so you can rotate the award around for something they have done well. I award captains armband to the player who trains the hardest and award two match awards, one generally for defending and one attacking for doing something, anything well in the game..
Absolutely love that. Wish I’d done that when I coached.

Duffer_

Post by Duffer_ » Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:54 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:26 pm
Some great advice and some aimed at a coach who wants to be the next England manager.
Really? I thought this was one of the most harmonious threads I have ever seen on here - real consistency in the advice and spot on attitudes. That said, statistically at least one of us is that annoying oppo coach or parent that we all dislike so much :D

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:03 pm

As most have alluded, the kids are the easy bit. Agree with garnering as much support possible from parents with the mundane but unavoidable stuff. NEVER make tactics or selection a point of discussion with them, it's got to be a dictatorship on that front not a committee.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:04 pm

Duffer_ wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:54 pm
Really? I thought this was one of the most harmonious threads I have ever seen on here - real consistency in the advice and spot on attitudes. That said, statistically at least one of us is that annoying oppo coach or parent that we all dislike so much :D
The op might be ready for the more complicated advice in a season or two.
But they're just starting out from scratch.

I know everyone means well.

SurreyClaret

Post by SurreyClaret » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:31 am

Foshiznik wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:46 pm
Absolutely love that. Wish I’d done that when I coached.
I started of with one trophy, called it the Golden Boot but added a second (Golden Shield) and split them to praise both attacking and the defensive side which most of the young ones care far less about. I found that once I got to 9 a side, one award wasn't really enough to motivate.

Adding a defensive trophy also had the benefit of stopping all my defenders nagging me to play them further forward every week - that was more luck than judgement tbh. I have a spreadsheet to ensure I spread it round evenly, although it's tough sometimes to do.

The FA recommend moving their positions regularly but I now tend to rotate in training matches, friendlies and one sided games only, and play them in set positions in league and cup matches. I tried the rotation method for a season but found the kids got confused and some really struggled (as did the team) and they lost confidence/motivation.
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Foshiznik

Post by Foshiznik » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:11 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:04 pm
The op might be ready for the more complicated advice in a season or two.
But they're just starting out from scratch.

I know everyone means well.
Advice of speak to parents, do drills in training and have fun are hardly example of a tactical masterclass only possible when experienced.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Aug 20, 2022 7:28 am

I'm impressed so many on here have had a go at coaching football at children's level.

Well done to everyone!

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:28 am

Foshiznik wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:11 am
Advice of speak to parents, do drills in training and have fun are hardly example of a tactical masterclass only possible when experienced.
The op is just taking over to save the team rather than looking to get in to coaching.

Probably best not to overwhelm them that's all.

barba

Post by barba » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:47 am

Ive been away on holiday since my original post so only just catching up with the replies.

Firstly a huge thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. The levels of detail and help is hugely appreciated and will be a resource I will work from in future days weeks and months to come.

We played our first game today and although we got beat 6-5 there are huge positives to take. I was also the nominated ref for the game which was also a first.

Thanks again.
These 4 users liked this post: Duffer_ wilks_bfc CoolClaret Stalbansclaret

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:06 pm

I guess everyone will have started their season this weekend? How have you all got on, especially the new coaches.

I ended up refereeing two games this morning. Only under-7s so fairly uneventful, but very enjoyable all the same.

wilks_bfc

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:19 pm

barba wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:47 am
Ive been away on holiday since my original post so only just catching up with the replies.

Firstly a huge thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply. The levels of detail and help is hugely appreciated and will be a resource I will work from in future days weeks and months to come.

We played our first game today and although we got beat 6-5 there are huge positives to take. I was also the nominated ref for the game which was also a first.

Thanks again.
Missed you posting this.

The games you lose are the games both you and your team learn from.
We were convincingly beaten in our first game at 11v11 as we were unable to get many friendly games beforehand, so they weren’t use to the size of the pitch and we’re playing two narrow.
We’ve worked on it over the last 2 weeks, playing across the length of the 9v9 pitch we train on (not ideal but it’s what we have) and won today.

Sadly you being a ref may be a regular occurrence.
I had to ref our u13 game today and the u16 game on the pitch alongside us also had to have one of their coaches do it.

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:13 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:09 pm
I’ve been doing it a good few years now. Biggest pieces of advice are:

- to work on passing in training. I did this by making all training games passing-based. I started with rules like no overhead height, progressed to games where every player needed to touch the ball before a goal could be scored, then points for each goal depending on how many passes had been made in the build up, to strict 3 touch games. The latter is really hard at first & they whinge like crazy but now play everything 1/2 touch so don’t even ask. That has brought them on more than any drills.
Thank you Vincent.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

vinrogue
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by vinrogue » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:06 pm

Never be afraid to start the session with a game, then stop it and introduce a coaching element then go back to a game. If you say to the youngsters do you want to start with a game this week, they think you are giving them the option, when all along you had planned to do that and you have your training drill prepared for the middle part of the training session.

Do the FA Playmaker course, it is free and online and will give you a confidence boost.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:24 pm

I’ve never been a coach, but played as a semi-pro in the LOW. In my opinion the most important strengths for a young footballer:

Learn to kick with both feet.

Learn to control the ball instantly at whatever height or speed it comes at you.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:25 pm

Hope everyones kids got good results and enjoyed themselves on the first games of the season today

My youngest team won their first game for two years in the county cup so all smiles
This user liked this post: NewClaret

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:20 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:13 pm
Thank you Vincent.
I like it faster than Vincent ;)

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:34 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:06 pm
I guess everyone will have started their season this weekend? How have you all got on, especially the new coaches.

I ended up refereeing two games this morning. Only under-7s so fairly uneventful, but very enjoyable all the same.
Played Blackburn, hard work at U9s, their manager ****** me off if I’m honest but perhaps it was the Burnley in me, lost 2v1 and daughter enjoyed it
This user liked this post: NewClaret

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:44 pm

NewClaret wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:20 pm
I like it faster than Vincent ;)
I beg your pardon. :o

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:45 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:44 pm
I beg your pardon. :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

NewClaret

Post by NewClaret » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:47 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:25 pm
Hope everyones kids got good results and enjoyed themselves on the first games of the season today

My youngest team won their first game for two years in the county cup so all smiles
Brilliant news Lancaster, good effort!

3-0 win for my lads, to top off a great weekend.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:06 am

What are the coaches' thoughts on the "Silent Weekend"?

I reckon there's not a cat in hell's chance of some of our gobshite parents taking any notice.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/oct/21/ ... d-20221021

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2143 times
Has Liked: 3060 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:18 pm

barba wrote:

Chin the biggest one straight away and the rest will respect you

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:31 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:06 am
What are the coaches' thoughts on the "Silent Weekend"?

I reckon there's not a cat in hell's chance of some of our gobshite parents taking any notice.

https://www.thefa.com/news/2022/oct/21/ ... d-20221021
It's a lovely idea, but yeah, won't last two minutes.

There was a coach for another side in my daughter's league, he was totally OTT every time we played them. Shouting at the ref, had kids in tears and all sorts. But a couple of years ago he apparently agreed to be silent during play, and only 'coach' at half time. Every time we've played them since, he's managed it. Fair play to him, it lets the kids learn from mistakes too.

Anyway, his side won the league unbeaten last season so possibly it actually works.

barba

Post by barba » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:01 pm

Just wanted to let you all know the Under 11 team I started coaching in August have reached the cup semi finals. The achievement is beyond anything I ever expected and all down to the amazing boys (and supportive parents).
These 5 users liked this post: Pickles Bosscat Duffer_ TheFamilyCat wilks_bfc

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:22 pm

barba wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:01 pm
Just wanted to let you all know the Under 11 team I started coaching in August have reached the cup semi finals. The achievement is beyond anything I ever expected and all down to the amazing boys (and supportive parents).
Nowt to do with the coach then 😉 .....

Joking apart ... Congrats on guiding your team
👍🙂👍
This user liked this post: barba

SurreyClaret

Post by SurreyClaret » Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:41 am

Really glad it’s going well.

Another thing I’ve learnt over the last couple of years, confidence plays a huge part. My team are really streaky in terms of results as they are either confident and winning regularly, or the complete opposite. Just be patient, stick with them and don’t get too down and they will get there.
This user liked this post: barba