Eric Cantona on the Qatar World Cup

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Eric Cantona on the Qatar World Cup

Post by dibraidio » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:34 am

Message from Eric Cantona :

Me, a lover of football, with a heavy heart, I have made my decision, I will follow it. I will not watch a single match of this world cup.
It costs me because since I was a kid it is an event that I adore, that I look forward to and watch with passion!
But let us be honest with ourselves! This world cup makes no sense. Worse it is an aberration.
Already because Qatar is not a footballing country! No passion, no tradition.
An ecological aberration, with all these air-conditioned stadiums….what madness, what stupidity!
But above all, a human horror show… how many thousands dead to build these stadiums, for what in the end, to amuse the gallery for two months…and nobody cares…
The caricature of what man is capable of being at his most rotten extreme!
The only sense for this event, we all know, it is money. It is stronger than everything…business is business…the rest…
I have made my decision! I will not watch! Arff, I know that they won’t care, and my little self will not change the face of the world.
But me personally, I just don’t want to participate in the grand mascarade. And to make money for those who close their eyes or hide behind their little finger saying it is not our fault, we can’t do anything…states, federations, TV companies, presenters etc etc. Yes, you can do, it is enough to make a simple decision.
Tell us we won’t play, we won’t show it, we won’t publicise it etc. etc. It is very possible. Sometimes in life, we must make decisions, even if it costs us.
But all those people haven’t done it… once again, the money is more important than anything.
So I’ve decided I will not participate in that. That France win or lose, I don’t care. In life there are things more important than football. Instead, I will watch every episode of Columbo, it’s been a longtime since I watched them.
I am hoping that this makes my football friends stop and think as I did. Fewer viewers, less money in their pockets, it’s as simple as that.
Qatar is not a football country. I am not against the idea of organizing a World Cup in a country where it’s possible to develop and promote football, like in South Africa or USA in the 1990s.
It it just a question of money and the way they’ve treated the people who built the stadiums is horrible. And thousands are dead. But no matter, we are going to celebrate this World Cup. To be honest, I don’t worry about the next World Cup, because it isn’t one in my view.
Eric Cantona
These 17 users liked this post: yTib SussexDon1inIreland Quicknick frankinwales Cirrus_Minor chekhov longsidepies Middle-agedClaret Claret Brucefanclaret Dark Cloud Juan Tanamera claretfern Stayingup basil6345789 HunterST_BFC Claret Toni

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Eric Cantona on the Qatar World Cup

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:11 am

Fair enough.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 am

Fantastic footballer...very weird man.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:17 am

dibraidio wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:34 am
Message from Eric Cantona :

Me, a lover of football, with a heavy heart, I have made my decision, I will follow it. I will not watch a single match of this world cup.
It costs me because since I was a kid it is an event that I adore, that I look forward to and watch with passion!
But let us be honest with ourselves! This world cup makes no sense. Worse it is an aberration.
Already because Qatar is not a footballing country! No passion, no tradition.
An ecological aberration, with all these air-conditioned stadiums….what madness, what stupidity!
But above all, a human horror show… how many thousands dead to build these stadiums, for what in the end, to amuse the gallery for two months…and nobody cares…
The caricature of what man is capable of being at his most rotten extreme!
The only sense for this event, we all know, it is money. It is stronger than everything…business is business…the rest…
I have made my decision! I will not watch! Arff, I know that they won’t care, and my little self will not change the face of the world.
But me personally, I just don’t want to participate in the grand mascarade. And to make money for those who close their eyes or hide behind their little finger saying it is not our fault, we can’t do anything…states, federations, TV companies, presenters etc etc. Yes, you can do, it is enough to make a simple decision.
Tell us we won’t play, we won’t show it, we won’t publicise it etc. etc. It is very possible. Sometimes in life, we must make decisions, even if it costs us.
But all those people haven’t done it… once again, the money is more important than anything.
So I’ve decided I will not participate in that. That France win or lose, I don’t care. In life there are things more important than football. Instead, I will watch every episode of Columbo, it’s been a longtime since I watched them.
I am hoping that this makes my football friends stop and think as I did. Fewer viewers, less money in their pockets, it’s as simple as that.
Qatar is not a football country. I am not against the idea of organizing a World Cup in a country where it’s possible to develop and promote football, like in South Africa or USA in the 1990s.
It it just a question of money and the way they’ve treated the people who built the stadiums is horrible. And thousands are dead. But no matter, we are going to celebrate this World Cup. To be honest, I don’t worry about the next World Cup, because it isn’t one in my view.
Eric Cantona
Good on him, I can’t say I’m happy with it at all but I’m a bit of a hypocrite because I’ll likely watch some of it.
Not looking forward to it at all, but then again I watch very little football unless it’s Burnley.
This user liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am

Fair play, I'd have fully supported our FA if they'd have said England will boycott it.
These 6 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie Silkyskills1 Dark Cloud bobinho Stayingup basil6345789

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am

He's right

But I think its right to have the world cup in each continent, rather than always in Europe

So Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Americas every four years

Would stop a lot of the corruption I feel

yTib
Been Liked: 704 times
Has Liked: 657 times

Post by yTib » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:25 am

just one more thing eric...
This user liked this post: Sausage

4midable
Been Liked: 390 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by 4midable » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:44 am

I had an image of him performing a flying kick into an arab in full dress for a brief moment

groove
Been Liked: 318 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by groove » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:47 am

Interesting contrast to Beckham, who couldn't wait to whore himself out on the Qatar promotional video. I know who I respect more.
These 8 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Quicknick chekhov Billy Balfour jen1066 bobinho Stayingup fatboy47

Pickles
Been Liked: 1343 times
Has Liked: 1210 times

Post by Pickles » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:50 am

I think the World Cup should definitely be in a variety of countries and continents.

That part of the world hasn't had one so I support it in that way just as I'd support a World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, China, India, Morocco, Nigeria etc etc. The World Cup is all the better for this sort of variety.

The other issues with Qatar are more contentious however.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:50 am

I just love that he tells us he's going to watch every episode of Colombo :D

Just checked and there were 69 episodes and they were between 70 and 98 minutes long so broadly speaking similar to watching a football match in time terms. There will be 64 games in the Qatar World Cup so he's actually come up with a very neat replacement viewing strategy !
These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick HunterST_BFC IanMcL

RickyBobby
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by RickyBobby » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:51 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am
He's right

But I think its right to have the world cup in each continent, rather than always in Europe

So Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Americas every four years

Would stop a lot of the corruption I feel
I think you have missed the point. He even say’s he isn’t against the world cup being in a country like Qatar where football can grow, but the issue is the corruption to hand it to them in the first place and more importantly the people who have suffered and died building the stadiums and infrastructure. No one should ever die to bring a world cup to a place, it show’s a lot about humanity that people do think it is acceptable what they have done to people over there.
These 5 users liked this post: SussexDon1inIreland Quicknick jen1066 Brucefanclaret Juan Tanamera

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5518 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am

He went a bit heavy on the commas in that first sentence.
This user liked this post: 4midable

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:00 pm

He's a top guy, Cantona.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:08 pm

RickyBobby wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:51 am
I think you have missed the point. He even say’s he isn’t against the world cup being in a country like Qatar where football can grow, but the issue is the corruption to hand it to them in the first place and more importantly the people who have suffered and died building the stadiums and infrastructure. No one should ever die to bring a world cup to a place, it show’s a lot about humanity that people do think it is acceptable what they have done to people over there.
He's 100% right

The rest of my post is my personal opinion

Alanstevensonsgloves
Been Liked: 342 times
Has Liked: 399 times

Post by Alanstevensonsgloves » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:10 pm

I have to admit, the eco / humanitarian considerations aside, I will probably enjoy watching Columbo more than the vast majority of the games as well.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:11 pm

RickyBobby wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:51 am
Doesn't he point out its already an aberration because it's in Qatar, a country with no football/tradition?
He's straight out of the gate with that.

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:15 pm

I only watch Burnley games, gave up on International soccer years ago.
Also don’t watch other Club matches.

UTC
These 3 users liked this post: frankinwales Silkyskills1 claretfern

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1208 times
Has Liked: 7098 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:30 pm

Steve1956 wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:15 am
Fantastic footballer...very weird man.
Thoughtful, not weird.
These 2 users liked this post: chekhov jen1066

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:22 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:57 am
He went a bit heavy on the commas in that first sentence.
You can blame me for the translation. I got the text from a Facebook post that has been doing the rounds on French Social Media, I've seen at least four versions of it shared online.

I decided to boycott it as soon as it was announced. I've warmed up by not watching any international games or searching for match reports or scores during this break and to be honest it's been easier than I thought.

Whether it's human rights, sexism, racism or homophobia Qatar is diametrically opposed to everything that football claims to stand for. I've decided to "kick it out".
These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies SussexDon1inIreland chekhov Buxtonclaret

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Russia 'given' the World Cup then Qatar.

Who's next Saudi Arabia followed by China? $$$$$

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:15 pm

mkmel wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:10 pm

Probably to be honest

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:21 pm

mkmel wrote:

Islamic State might be allowed to hold it if they came up with enough cash!

Seems as long as you have enough dosh then anything goes.

Are the Taliban at a loose end these days?

:)

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:43 pm

North Korea must have a chance.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:45 pm

He's not wrong int Eric and because of all the shenanigans around it being given to Qatar in the first place and then the impact it's going to have on the domestic footy season shortly etc, etc I really can't work up and ounce of enthusiasm for it tbh. I'm pretty sure it was Australia who were "outbid" (clearly literally) at the final vote off and that would have been a miles better shop window for the tournament in my view and would still have fulfilled the laudable aim of sharing the finals around the continents. WC in Qatar = rubbish!

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:08 pm

Brilliant player, brilliant actor. I can believe he will not watch a game in this haunted World Cup unlike those who say they will boycott it but will be sitting in front of their tv if England progress to the final stages
This user liked this post: Stayingup

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:30 pm

Character for sure and he has a very good point here. But brilliant actor??? I watched him.in films on tv when I lived in France and well ....no

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:34 pm

The world cup is rnow so riddled with politics and money
Its lost its aura. Many of the fans are moronic as well. Personally I would love China to win it.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:55 pm

Not a seagull or trawler in sight.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:12 pm

I agree totally with Eric (apart from the Columbo bit). This WC was always bought and should have been scrapped when the FIFA shambles was exposed. He is also right when he says it could have been stopped by various countries saying no thanks. Imagine a WC with no Germany, Argentina, France, Brazil etc. Domestic competitions are being held up because it can’t be played in Summer. All because a rogue state with a shocking human rights record was rich enough to buy it. And yes, there is no history of the game there and they even had to build football stadia because they had none to speak of. And again the deaths from those constructions were unacceptable.
I also agree with not watching it, I have said as much a year ago, because I have no interest in this shockingly awarded tournament, which is why I have been more than ambivalent about England’s qualifying games. In fact I have often wished they hadn’t qualified as it would have made my decision not to watch that much easier. And for Eric Cantona to say he doesn’t care if France win or not it shows the depth of feeling he has for this WC.
This user liked this post: chekhov

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:54 am

mkmel wrote:

No, it's USA, Canada and Mexico.

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:19 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:55 pm
Not a seagull or trawler in sight.

Fixed that.

https://youtu.be/L1N0iOP8J7Q

Bigvince
Been Liked: 930 times
Has Liked: 698 times

Post by Bigvince » Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:51 pm

jrgbfc wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:22 am
Fair play, I'd have fully supported our FA if they'd have said England will boycott it.
So would I
But do you think the FA would ever do anything that would have an impact on them financially?

It Is What It Is
Been Liked: 189 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by It Is What It Is » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:58 pm

I still cannot believe or comprehend why the Saudi's were allowed to own Newcastle.
Their human rights records
are atrocious.
Oohh yes there's the answer..its Money.
The EPL should their heads in shame.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:16 pm

I can't say I'm that bothered about the World Cup this year, I've taken zero interest in it so far.

That said, when it comes to final, I'll probably be wearing face paint screaming at the television...